Last updated at 11:19 GMT, Monday, 28 November 2011

National stereotypes

Every week we ask you a different question. Hear what people in London say, then join the conversation!

What do people think of when they think of your country?

Join the conversation. What do people think of when they think of your country? Use the form below to let us know.

The Express English team

What comes to mind, when you think about Britain?

According to these Londoners, it's a strange mixture which includes pigeons, rain, fish and chips and the Queen!

One man also thinks that the British are known for being open-minded.

Did you know?

Fact

Misconceptions in national stereotypes can be perpetuated through education, hearsay, the media and jokes, US researchers said.

Language tip

You use the word 'typical' when you want to point out that something is a representative example of a particular type.

Cultural tip

Not all Britons like tea. Some would rather have coffee instead.

End of Section

Now tell us what you think

What do people think off when they think of your country?

Comments are now closed.

Comments

• 29. At 12:48pm on 29 Nov 2011, LorennaLimma wrote:

Why majority of people around the world think in Brazil we speak Spanish? In Brazil we speak Portuguese. But, I guess when people think about Brazil they think about beautiful beaches and nice and warm people!!

• 30. At 1:20pm on 29 Nov 2011, Choi wrote:

People might think my country as divided country.Whenever I meet foreigners, they always ask about it. They can also think of politeness to elder people, Kimchi, one of asia country, hardworkers.

• 31. At 1:33pm on 29 Nov 2011, mnadem6 wrote:

There are a lot of images that come to people's mind when they think of my country. But for sure, nothing will be more like poverty and drought. Due to the reccurent drought that my country is facing and the repeated representation of it in the media, it cld easily preoccupy people's mind. However, there are also a lot of good things about my country too. For example, my country is famous for its result in long distance running at the olympics and world athletic championships. In addition, the fact that it is the oldest nation in Africa, and it was never colonized together with it is home to some of the world's endemic animals like the Red Fox are some of the different positive things I can mention about my couintry.

• 32. At 2:49pm on 29 Nov 2011, Juan wrote:

Unfortunately the mediums all days talk bad thinks about my country, that we only produce drugs and we are under terrorist pressure.
    During last decade Colombian people are showing to all world that we are much of those bad stereotypes. Many of us are honest, collaborators, kind, produce an excellent coffee, in our country we can enjoy natural and beutifull landscapes, beautifull women, and our economy is growing (now we are part of a new economical group called Civets).
    One of our simbols could be "sombrero vueltiao", is a kind of hat that represented part of our music and folklor.

• 33. At 2:52pm on 29 Nov 2011, Fredy wrote:

I think you will guess what is my Country. When the peple think in my country they mean football, Samba, Amazon, Rio de Janeiro, happy peoples, Pelé, that is it.

• 34. At 4:29pm on 29 Nov 2011, yunna1 wrote:

Some people abroad suggest that my country is a part of Russia. Other ideas: orange revolution, Shevchenko, Klichko, borshch, lard, Kiev. Yes, that's Ukraine

• 35. At 4:46pm on 29 Nov 2011, San san wrote:

Vietnam is a great country, too ^^
    We have a long history and ancient traditions, which are attractive to visitors. And you may also hear about historic sights, such as old temples; Halong bay; "Pho" (yummy!); "Ao dai" and so on. We have beaches, mountains and caves (Go search for "Phong Nha cave" 's pic and you may think it should be one of the seven natural wonders of the world). The weather is great, esp in autumn (my fav).

• 36. At 7:18pm on 29 Nov 2011, oliveok wrote:

Russia has always been associated with cold weather, bears walking in the street and vodka)

• 37. At 11:17pm on 29 Nov 2011, marcians wrote:

I think that can say the word that defines Brazil is carnaval.
    We have beaches, a amazing people, but your carnaval is the best.

• 38. At 03:07am on 30 Nov 2011, sampuna wrote:

Food haven, melting pot of Asia,truly Asia -and it' Malaysia!

• 39. At 09:26am on 30 Nov 2011, arnice wrote:

I love my country. Vary of culture and have vary way of life. I belief every people love they country as i do. This is the country where i was born, the place we live as a big family.
    Of course the country has its history. Good or Bad, This is my country. I can say Independence day as Hari Proklamasi, Old Era, New Era, and now Reformation era. I try to do the best to this era.

• 40. At 11:54am on 30 Nov 2011, vadnak wrote:

If anything at all - Eastern Europe, Gulash soup, Puszta, perhaps some inventions, ig Biro, Rubic's cube. - Hungary

• 41. At 1:11pm on 30 Nov 2011, luscinia wrote:

Brazil = Samba, Carnaval and Football...These are the people think of Brazil...but we have others thinks here. There are people that work hard and very kind people.
    Ah.... many people think that the capital of Brazil is Buenos Aires. The capital of Brazil is Brasilian, but unfortunatelly it is the capital of the corrupition too.

• 42. At 1:12pm on 30 Nov 2011, Helen wrote:

Many people associate Russia with cold winters, fur caps with ear flaps, vodka, Russian dolls (Matreschka) and oligarchs. Some even believe that Russian families keep bears as pets. However, Russia is multinational country and each nation has its unique customs and traditions. Travelling and reading can help get rid of such stereotypes.

• 43. At 4:10pm on 30 Nov 2011, Jdempsey wrote:

Probably the first things people think of Brazil are Footeball and carnaval but like the rest of the world we have our weaknesses, but our strengths are in our faith in a God who has been changing our country and He is only starting.

• 44. At 5:18pm on 30 Nov 2011, Joaquín wrote:

I'm from Spain, a very tourist country. I suppose a lot of tourists think that Spain is full of bullfighters, flamenco dancers, and sunny beaches all the time. Maybe most of tourist are sure that Spaniards are lazies and not reliables.

Obviously, I don't trust them (tourists and fellow Spaniards).
    Good health!

• 45. At 6:34pm on 30 Nov 2011, Luwia wrote:

As to Ukraine, it is associated with beautiful girls. Don't know why the majority of foreigners always suppose so. Then i guess comes Euro 2012, lots of preparation and lots of gosspis around it. Thirdly national dishes: borsch, varenyky, golubtsi, and what is more some ppl are sure we adore tallow. I can't but mention Orange REvolution, Eurovision with Wild Dances, and of course home-made jams :)

• 46. At 9:30pm on 30 Nov 2011, yesenia wrote:

Before of know my country i believe that the people think in my country as something very small and ugly, but i know people that they after of come to Ecuador change your opinion, for example many people never to left Ecuador and do your lifes here with all your family

• 47. At 10:58pm on 30 Nov 2011, malivu31 wrote:

My country have a nice weather, great food, fantastic music, beautiful people, wonderful beaches, the most extrange flora and fauna... and the best of it, i believe is the fact that when people come here they feel like in their own house...everyone who have been in MÉXICO want to take a piece of it....

• 48. At 02:59am on 01 Dec 2011, thekentaro wrote:

Samurai warriors, anime cartoon, sushi, busy, packed trains and so forth. And it is Japan. Oh, I almost forget Fukushima Nuclear plants and tsunami.

• 49. At 04:01am on 01 Dec 2011, Thu Hien wrote:

President Ho Chi Minh is the first thing when people think about my country: Viet Nam. In my country, the weather is nice and traffic in 2 big city are terrible. Dirty and poor are the things that I hope will be changed in my country also

• 50. At 05:49am on 01 Dec 2011, sophia6331 wrote:

I guess many people know my country due to our relationship with China, but there are many specially things in Taiwan besides politics, such as good food, hot spring and nigh market. I believe anyone who visits Taiwan will love the convenient life and friendly people here.

• 51. At 06:30am on 01 Dec 2011, salih wrote:

When it comes to my country, people generally think that Turkey is one of the best places for tourism. Turkey is situated between the black sea and medditerian sea. Tourism has improved dramatically in the shores. Also historical places attract foreign people such as the mevlana museum. Turkey have been improving their economic status thanks to the tourism.

• 52. At 07:59am on 01 Dec 2011, MARKKAN5891 wrote:

People may think there are many mounments and they have Five thousand years of history. In fact I haven't been to many places in my country, but I think the people's will like Food, Shopping and Nightlife Enterainment in my city.

• 53. At 09:06am on 01 Dec 2011, Hayatullah wrote:

The country by having more than 5000 old history, the country of hospitality, The country which is full of mines. but suffer from a war since last thirty years due to theInterfere of the neighbors and well known super power. Now I became a terrorist and my land is been called the land of terrorist, we are not terrorist we have history,hounour. We are the people of peace and we want peace all over the world, yeah I am speaking about Afghanistan.

• 54. At 4:08pm on 01 Dec 2011, ira wrote:

Lithuania. I think not a lot of people accosiate it with something ...maybe bascetball or Baltic sea...thats it(

• 55. At 7:18pm on 01 Dec 2011, robertoyj wrote:

Well, I suppose that people around the world will think... Spain is beautiful, it's sunny every day, we can drink in the street, we enjoy one month in holidays and love flamenco.
    Probably the weather is better than other north countries, but here rainning too, and we can't drink in the street, you don't believe it though.
    I am really felt in love my country, and I'd like people do it too, but now stuffs like economy and unemployement overcoast are making the youth are looking for new employment opportunities in north countries. We are amply prepared people and we want to try standing our land up.
    And so, lucky for all.

• 56. At 9:07pm on 01 Dec 2011, Dave wrote:

Well I thiks is more like a polite people. You know, the manner and the accent are the thinks that ringing mi bell when I think about london.
    Ah, and of couse, being sharp in the meetings.
    Regards!

• 57. At 02:11am on 02 Dec 2011, Face wrote:

I live in Taiwan!! I think when people talk about Taiwan, delicious Food and Technology will comes to their mind. We not only have a lot of great meals such as stinky tofu and small steamed bun but also excellent brands like HTC and ASUS.

• 58. At 08:08am on 02 Dec 2011, SimonaEP wrote:

I am in Czech Republik. Foreigners think about our country that is poor. But here we have many beautiful sights. For examply Prague castle, Charles Bridge, Charels University, Clock and many other monuments preserved. We have here the town of Terezín, which is a monument to WW2. Here we see the conditions in which people lived. Cities complement of small villages. Weather is quite good. Our national sport is football and hockey. People here live hectic. Many work at night to go talk to the various clubs or at home with children.

• 59. At 08:10am on 02 Dec 2011, Martinaaaa wrote:

For Foreigners Czech Republic is the heart of europe. It is a country with lots of sights. For example, Charles Bridge, St. Vitus Cathedral, Karlstejn. There are also monuments registered in UNESCO. Large beer production. In southern Moravia are large vineyards and wine production. In the Czech Republic, Skoda car made. Wide range of industry. We are a democracy with the Head of State President. Czechs are very hardworking people. Said to be living in the Czech Republic the most beautiful women.

• 60. At 08:10am on 02 Dec 2011, sarkabartlova wrote:

I am from the Czech Republic and our country to foreigners think we are a rich nation. I have to disabuse. In our country we have many beautiful sights. Here are some of Bishop's Court, Diechtrichsteinský Palace, Cathedral and Noble. Peter and Paul in Brno. Our capital city of Prague has also many monuments that mark in history. They are Karlstejn, Astronomical Clock and the first place our Cathedral of St. Vitus.We are also a memorial to the second World War II. It's a concentration camp Theresienstadt. It recalls the time in which we suffered.

• 61. At 08:11am on 02 Dec 2011, Barbora Mikeskóvá wrote:

I am from Czech Republic.I thin, of tourists to this country very much.They have better climatic conditions than we.in their countries is more and grow many fruits and vegetables.Many foreigners go to Czech Republic to work.
    They learn differently than we do at school.

• 62. At 08:11am on 02 Dec 2011, lucka wrote:

I come from the Czech Republic.Tourists love my country from a historical perspective.In Prague are mainly beautiful sights.But we are not as beautiful country as everyone thinks.There are very dirty streets and people that hurt. I'm glad I live here.I'm glad I have something to eat and drink.

• 63. At 08:13am on 02 Dec 2011, anna wrote:

I´m from Czech Republic. Czech Republic is very nice. Our capital is Prague. She is intressting for tourist. Our the best food is pork, dumplings and sauerkraut. Our Republic have a lot of sights. For example charles bridge, Prague castle. Next intressting city is Brno. In Brno is grand prix in summer. Sights in Brno is castle Spilberg or Petrov. Czech Republic is heart of europe. Our neighbors are Slovensko, Germany, Poland Austria

• 64. At 08:13am on 02 Dec 2011, Klára wrote:

My country is small country in the middle Europe. People say that is the heart of Europe. My country has no sea, therefore, has less tourist here. My country have a nice weather and great food. She has a lot of mountains. My country have friendly people.

• 65. At 5:34pm on 02 Dec 2011, Piros Reka wrote:

My country is a landlocked country. It has a beautiful lake though, called Balaton. It is about 77km long, the largest lake in Central Europe, I suppose. Most tourists visit the capital, Budapest, but other towns are well worth seeing.
    Pécs, my home town was the European capital of Culture in 2010 (along with Essen and Istambul). We 'tidied up' the whole place for that special year and we are still in great shapes.
    We, Hungarians like to think that we have very good food, a bit too hot and spicy and greasy, but again worth tasting.

• 66. At 04:41am on 03 Dec 2011, castleontheriver wrote:

I believe that much foreign people that visits my country think about her beautiful natural spectacles. From high mountains, to magnificent coasts, passing through monumental cataracts, majestic glaciers, wonderful animals, and extensive plains. Nevertheless, when they investigate a little more in the questions of the society, I suppose that they begin to think about the complex of our history and our present situation. For many visitors, nevertheless, my country includes only a territory with good food, some cities of European aspect and an exotic dance: "the tango".

• 67. At 11:11am on 03 Dec 2011, basak wrote:

I'm from Turkey.I think people think of my country's imvaluable natural beauties and diplomacy when they tink of my country.Bosphorus and Istanbul are the most known places because of their importance such as replace between Asia and Europe and connect them to each other.Also some tourist attractions comes to everyone's attraction because of sea,warm weather,historical and natural places.When it comes to people and food I think Turkey is the best of all.People are friendly,hospitable and food is delicious.Unfortunately,although all these good ways of Turkey people think of terror,too.

• 68. At 1:57pm on 03 Dec 2011, seray- wrote:

Tourist attractions,I guess..Because there are lots of historical places and monuments in Turkey.And probably weather,especially in southern regions it's always sunny and hot during summer and tourists who are northerners,really like that

• 69. At 8:20pm on 03 Dec 2011, khomai wrote:

about Russia... old-fashioned symbol of a bear doesn't work any more)) but still a sterotype is a little threatening, to my mind.. Russians are considered to be open-hearted, sensitive,men-brutal, women-tender, rather intelligent.... but the problem is enormous territory where intelligence and hard-working skills are mainly seen in metropolicies... and there are so many far distant places((((((((

• 70. At 4:36pm on 04 Dec 2011, tangvh wrote:

agree with thu hien's comment. I live in Ha Noi, Viet Nam. Not good for healthy because there is very dirty and crowd. But i love my country. If you went to Viet Nam, you would impress with Ao Dai tranditional garment for women, beautiful landscapes example Ha Long Bay(seven new natural wonder of the world) or friendly VietNam people. I'm listening again a wonderful song: Viet Nam.:D

• 71. At 7:50pm on 04 Dec 2011, Petar from serbia wrote:

I am living in small country at east of europe(Serbia),this is a lend of Novak Djokovic and other good sports mans,we are smart but temperament people sometimes we are going throught the wall with the had,but basically we are good and kind people.And at last we have very preaty girls...:)

• 72. At 01:52am on 05 Dec 2011, emimin wrote:

I'm from Japan. My country has some stereotype, maybe. For example, it's sushi, sashimi, kimono, yukata, chopsticks, judo, sumo, and so on. What do you think of imagine if I say “Japan”?

• 73. At 2:23pm on 05 Dec 2011, imizm wrote:

What will you image when you listened about Japan? My images are Long-life, sushi, and Samurai, but the other sides there are not good images. For example Japanese is shy.

• 74. At 8:33pm on 05 Dec 2011, Marisa wrote:

People think we go often to see bullfighting and we are dancing flamenco all day. They believe we only eat tapas and potato omelette. Our weather isn’t always sunny and warm as people think. Not all the cities in Spain have beaches. We have to work every weekday until late, for this reason we can’t take a nap after lunch. We like parties but only when we have time for them which isn’t every day.

• 75. At 8:37pm on 05 Dec 2011, alex wrote:

Of course if I ask you about Russia you'll answer about bears on the streets,bureaucracy and Putin))but I claim that Russia is much more better than it is thought. Look at our absolutely beautiful nature, our sportsmen,science and you can realize why I like it very much

• 76. At 06:34am on 06 Dec 2011, 10k2038 wrote:

We must change point of view.For instance the far past, many
    men were working hard, and many women were in charge of the house

• 77. At 06:58am on 06 Dec 2011, Yoshihiro wrote:

We should change many educational interfaces. If they teach are fales idea to children their behivor is rather odd.
    Certainly, many schools teach battle until World War Ⅱ. But ,that teaching no longer exists . Because constitution had changed. In other words, "Article 9 of the constitution" was introduced. This is pacifism. Since then,Japan banned war.

• 78. At 07:58am on 06 Dec 2011, Alireza wrote:

That's a very impressive question. I wish I had a country that remind people all the best things in the world but the fact is something else.
    A collection of words which come to my mind are as follows:
    Sanction, Unemployment, immigration, lack of honesty, sex segregation, revolution, war, religion, entry exam for every where, radicalism, vote, depressing, Persepolis, lack of management, fear,
    superstitious, nature.

Oh, I hope every thing is going well.

• 79. At 12:07pm on 06 Dec 2011, mix wrote:

People think we are smart as Nikola Tesla, we are successful as Novak Djokovic, we're nice like Ana Ivanovic and we are funny like me:)

• 80. At 2:15pm on 06 Dec 2011, Yukari wrote:

I think that we should change point of view, for example, without distinction of sex. Before, gender differentiation was cruel, but it isn't cruel now. For example, Woman's soccer player didn't exist, but many women's soccer player are doing very splendid in Japan now. We should't make a judgement, even so woman. We should see in an open way.

• 81. At 7:16pm on 06 Dec 2011, Maceireland wrote:

Guess my country by its stereotypes..
    - Potato omelette
    -Bullfighters
    -Ole!
    -ZP
    -the "outraged"
    -Rioja Wine
    -Sunny weather (which is so not true for most parts)
    -Javier Bardem
    Ok..I've given too many clues already, it should be a piece of cake from there.

• 82. At 09:31am on 07 Dec 2011, Yulia wrote:

What people probably think about Russia:
    1. Everyone drinks vodka in a big quantity
    2. Bears walk on the streets.
    3. Cold winter with a lot of snow.
    4. Poverty
    5. Lazy people.

• 83. At 2:17pm on 07 Dec 2011, MargaritaKh wrote:

Well, the first thing people probably think of when they hear "Russia" is Vodka, then they remember winter, snow, matreshka , balalayka and I guess the characteristic that really please me - hospitableness... But at the same time we are thought to be rude and impolite :( I' m just wondering why... In this case I've started working on my research, and the fact is that there are so many stereotypes! It 's not only about russian , it's about every nation! So I guess there are a lot things for me to do...

• 84. At 5:13pm on 07 Dec 2011, ozgi wrote:

İstanbul is the most impressive city in Turkey and palaces,museums,Bosphorus of course.Turkish kebap is also very popular around the world.Atatürk is the symbol of Turks.In my opinion he is well-known leader.There are a lot of tourist attractions.

• 85. At 11:56am on 08 Dec 2011, rubisphool wrote:

I am vietnamese, when I think of Serbia, i think of Novak Djokovic.I admire him very much.wish him success in Australia Open 2012.
    when I think of Spain, I think of El classico.Wish Real Madrid success.

• 86. At 11:57am on 08 Dec 2011, Sue wrote:

There are many cars and our people are very friendly.
    Fruit are cheap in our country,and so are vegetables.
    The weather isn't too bad,but a little too wet.

• 87. At 5:20pm on 08 Dec 2011, fiokkie wrote:

My country is Italy. Of course if I ask you about Italy, you answer : pizza, sun, mafia, berlusconi, economic crise... but i think that my country is fantastic, and it can raise.

• 88. At 9:22pm on 08 Dec 2011, esni wrote:

First of all I'm from Turkey.I guess ; tourist attractions (Pamukkale,fairy chimneys...),the connection between Asia and Europ,Mevlana,İstanbul and it's historical places,our hospitality and compassion,our cuisine and tea, our history of a lot of different cultures.Also the tolarent people I think. :)

• 89. At 10:43am on 09 Dec 2011, Tatsuya32 wrote:

I think that in Japan, spring's image is cherry blossam. Summer's image is fire works. Autumn's image is the coloring leaves. Winter's image is a Kotatsu and an orange.

• 90. At 12:58pm on 09 Dec 2011, travis520 wrote:

I supose when people think of England they think of Red bus, the Queen, Big Ben and tea. As for my, which is Russia, they usually think of bears, Red Square, vodka and balalaika.

• 91. At 2:05pm on 09 Dec 2011, Yuya wrote:

My image of Japan, Kimono, Japanese sword, Kotastu, Sushi and so on. I like Sushi very much. If I go abroad I would like to eat Sushi.

• 92. At 9:20pm on 09 Dec 2011, Mao wrote:

The other day I met two foreigners in my country.
    And they asked me "Where can we see the 'GANDAMU, which is a famous anime character, structure'??"
    Now that my country's own culture has been spread all over the world, I suppose many people hit on Anime and Akihabara when they think about my country, Japan!

• 93. At 09:28am on 10 Dec 2011, Ayami wrote:

• 94. At 09:32am on 10 Dec 2011, Ayami wrote:

• 95. At 09:35am on 10 Dec 2011, Ayami wrote:

Ayami

My country is japan. Japan is thinked that there are samurai now by foreign people, but there aren't samurai now. Many people have stereotype about other country.

• 96. At 6:05pm on 10 Dec 2011, mika wrote:

I think my country is lovely country.
    Because people is kind, fine and neatness.
    And there is lot of nature.The air is clean.
    There are many flowers, mountains and the sea.

• 97. At 04:59am on 11 Dec 2011, Riru wrote:

My country is Japan. Japanese images are samurai, ninnjya, sake and susi. When there was a big earthquake in Tohoku in this year, I thought people were very patient.

• 98. At 06:21am on 11 Dec 2011, satomi107 wrote:

People think that Japan is very antique, beautiful nature and quiet people. Japanese image are Tatami, Sushi, Kimono,
    Samurai, Mt.fuji... In fact, Japan, particularly Tokyo, Osaka and
    Nagoya are very large city. It is not antique image.

• 99. At 10:18am on 11 Dec 2011, selcuk wrote:

Turkey.. Well, tourist attractions and the beauty of our lovely country I think. Especially Istanbul, with its historical places and amazing Bosphorus. And of course Turkish dishes, I think almost everybody in the world know Turkish dishes and They like it. Our politeness and hospitality.. In addition, our history is so important for the world. Our country nestles a lot of different cultures. Because our grandfathers conquered so wide lands and they bonded the cultures of different countries..

• 100. At 12:40pm on 11 Dec 2011, wakakooo0521 wrote:

I'm from Japan.When it comes to my country, I think about positive image and negative image. The positive images are an animated car toon,cherry blossons,kinomo,sushi and so on. The negative images an earthquake,nuclear power and tsunami nowadays.

• 101. At 2:28pm on 11 Dec 2011, chiaki wrote:

Japanese image is Mt.Fuji I think. Also in Japan, the four seasons are clearly distinguished. I can't imagine life with no seasonal changes.

• 102. At 3:21pm on 11 Dec 2011, saho wrote:

I think that there are some stereotypes in Japan. There are sushi, a kimono and so on. In addition, I thought that Japanese could keep a turn patiently to see the state in the case of the earthquake disaster.

• 103. At 5:35pm on 11 Dec 2011, OLGAGZ wrote:

About Spain...I choose the typical image of a flamenco dancer, a dish of paella, good wines and bull!!!

About Catalonia, I think that it's very typical Barcelona, Sagrada Familia, Barça team...bread with tomato and hard-working people.

• 104. At 8:33pm on 11 Dec 2011, dozortseva wrote:

bears, vodka, snow!

• 105. At 05:52am on 12 Dec 2011, Bandoo1030 wrote:

I'm from Japan. Japan has much images. For example, cherry blossom, Enka and Kimono etc... Every these things are Japanese famous images.

• 106. At 09:47am on 13 Dec 2011, Mirya wrote:

• 107. At 09:52am on 13 Dec 2011, Mirya wrote:

The inhabitant of my country is a Catholic (above all)and a football fan (despite everything). He is a „Solidarity” activist or other opposionist. And so I am Polish :)

• 108. At 5:47pm on 13 Dec 2011, cualeb2 wrote:

When people think about Spain, They usually think about "paella" and "tapas", "Flamenco", hot weather, a lot of parties, our typical "siesta", and, of course, bullfighting and our passion for football. But the truth is that each part of Spain has its own culture, food, drink and traditional music (some of them even have their own language). This variety is what makes Spain so special and attractive. For example, Galicia is a not very well known part of Spain, but places like Cies islands (with one of the best beaches in the world), Santiago cathedral,are really worth visiting. So, come and discover the real Spain!!

• 109. At 05:08am on 15 Dec 2011, Majumder wrote:

My country Bangladesh, located in South Asia is a beautiful country with lovely natural scenery as well beautiful minded people. Coxes Bazar the largest sea beach in the world is also here and the Sundarban largest mangrove forest is also located here. So where ever you will go, you must fell in love with that beauty.
    We are developing tremendously in every sector especially in the agriculture and IT sector. More than 80% people is living in the rural area and most of them involve with agriculture directly and indirectly. In order to protect and develop their lives style, govt. has taken a lot of steps. As a result, these mass people are developing themselves as well as the country.
    Young generation are doing very well in the IT, not only in the country but also in the whole world where as we already have done very well in Garments sector.
    I feel proud to so I am Bangladeshi…

• 110. At 03:51am on 16 Dec 2011, iammum wrote:

Our country is Hungary, and the country has capital is Budapest, I think the people usually mixed our capital with Bucarest, what is capital of Romania.The people very little know about our country, and are full of prejudices, they are talking about , Hortobágy, horses, big drinking, and eating, but who is spent in our country , who can see , and feel that is country is full of sight, and the people very kind. Our famous places:Castle of king in the Budapest, beautiful buildings from 19. century next to Danubia, we have a lot of famous historical wine regions, around the lake of Balaton, excellent Hungarian restaurants and hotels, lot of thermal spa, and good kitchen of Hungarian..

• 111. At 12:27pm on 16 Dec 2011, abpinduction wrote:

• 112. At 07:21am on 17 Dec 2011, ayumi wrote:

Hi! I live in japan.I think my country is busy country.every people work all over day.japan is keep beauty and safety by the busy people.foreigner think there are many samurai in japan.no no no no!samurai extincted.if you go out with knife in your waist,you are arrested.be careful.:)www

• 113. At 04:31am on 19 Dec 2011, tommy41sr wrote:

When people think about Japan, They usually think about Mt. Fuji, Kimono and the four seasons. The change of the seasons is quite noticeable in Japan. A hot summer and a cold winter...I love them.

• 114. At 1:30pm on 20 Dec 2011, Anyuta-Jatuta wrote:

I don't know what western people think about Belarus, but I can tell my own thoughts about this country when I moved there many years ago... I knew only that bulba=potato is a favourite food in Belarus, then I knew about Brest-fortress' role in the Greate Patriotic War (World War II).

• 115. At 05:17am on 21 Dec 2011, Artem Koks wrote:

Should I speak about Russia? :-D It's too cold there and huge bears drink vodka from the bottles in their caps-ear-flaps. Also Russia is very big and there a lot of dark woods! :-D

• 116. At 12:51pm on 24 Dec 2011, AN-NA wrote:

I`ll say about Russia too. People are open-hearted and kind.
    The country is beautiful. There are a lot of nice people there!

• 117. At 2:54pm on 26 Dec 2011, Candy wrote:

Most people think Taiwan is part of China[Unsuitable/Broken URL removed by Moderator]. Sometimes people don't even know where the Taiwan is so they just think "oh, I know Thailand." But, for the most people who know about Taiwan, they always say Taiwan is a very friendly country, nice weather and great food.

• 118. At 09:06am on 30 Dec 2011, kikirara wrote:

It's a small country that consists of 5 main inlands. People are shy ,modest and diligent but they aren't good at speaking English. Compared to other countries , it is safe, convienient,clean and busy.
    The qualities of electrical appliances are outstanding. Foods are very healthy,for example,sushi,miso-soup,udon,natou,and so on. Drinks, such as green tea, sake are good as well. There are four seasons which are different absolutely from each other . I love them. This year a large earthquake hit the country and so many people have died or gone missing. They won't get rid of the risk of earthquakes.
    It's JAPAN!!!

• 119. At 3:38pm on 30 Dec 2011, chinapower161295 wrote:

I'm Chinese and I sure that nowdays lots of people know many things about China. In my opinion the most common stereotypes about my country are:
    -hard workers;
    -the industry of the world;
    -all the rubbish stuff came from China;
    -the sanitary sistem is not good enough and cost too much also for people coming from middle classes.
    And so on, I agree with lots of stereotypes about my country but I would also say that like every rich country in the world, China need time to have all the progresses and changes that every big nations had needed.
    Just give us time and everyone in the world will find a new China:cleaner, higher welfare state, anyway better than now, better than the other powerful nations in the world.

• 120. At 1:02pm on 04 Jan 2012, Janetta wrote:

I'm from Kazakhstan. The suffix "stan" are scaring away many people. The similarity of the suffix "stan" in the name of Afghanistan doesn't mean similarity in everyday life. In my country there isn't war and we, Kazakhs,view the future with optimism. We are planning to enter the top thirty most competitive countries.Territory of Kazakhstan locate in Europe and Asia, so a lot of beautiful people live in my republic. Welcome to Kazakhstan and debunk your stereotypes!

• 121. At 3:29pm on 06 Jan 2012, englishlerner wrote:

Hungarian people generally has bad opinion about motherland (because of politics and money-less).
    But if you ask them, „tell what you think about own country”, nobody will mention wrong things.
    Everybody love to think of it, basically they love their motherland, and Hungary is a really good place in many ways:
    - traditions (wranglers, embroidery, lace, Herendy, Zsolnay, village life)
    - cuisine (goulash, noodles, „lángos”, pálinka, unicum, red pepper and many many tasty foods.)
    - famous inventors (helicopter – Oscar Asboth, Microsoft Word, Excel – Charles Simonyi, Vitamine C – Albert Szentgyörgyi, Telephone Center – Tivadar Puskás, Sound film – Dénes Mihály, etc etc)
    - Nature and landscape (a lot of source water, thermal water, woods, hill and mount, Dobogókő is the heart chakra of the earth.
    - Coexist side by side many religion: Christian, Buddhism, Krishna, Islamic, etc.
    - Not applicable natural disasters, and climate is varied (four season).
    - People are cheerful, they love life, there are many ruin pubs, and here are the most beautiful girls of the world – according to the foreign.

And now, while I am writing this words, I can see the Gellért Hill from the sixth floor and a really beautiful winter sunset.

Come and have a nice trip and have fun.

• 122. At 4:59pm on 28 Jan 2012, cadellard wrote:

I'm from Spain. It's true that we love football and going out, but I hate bullfighting and flamenco music

• 123. At 7:48pm on 30 Jan 2012, Ferran wrote:

I'm from Spain. When I think about Britain I think about fish and chips, going out at night, going to pub's to drink beer and going party at night.
    But I stayed three weeks in Britain and I think that is a beautiful country, with good and calm people.
    Here in Spain we love football, but we love music and a lot of things... You should come to Spain to see our country, it's beautiful.
    Have fun!!!

• 124. At 7:50pm on 30 Jan 2012, Ferran wrote:

I'm from Spain and when I think about Britain, I think about fish and chips, going out at night to pub's and drink a lot of beer.
    I think that Britain is a beautiful country.
    If you dind't stay in Spain you should come to visit our country and have fun!!!

• 125. At 5:21pm on 01 Feb 2012, cesar forcada wrote:

Hi Carmen
    From my point of view we make mistakes when we talk about a country before we visited. I don't like when some people talk about Spain saying that the people are always dancing flamenco, sleeping, going out all days and never do anything ok.
    When i went to Belgium they realized that we aren't like they thought so i feel so happy.

• 126. At 3:00pm on 03 Feb 2012, Fausta wrote:

When the people think about Calabria (an italian country) think we are rude and close-mind, but we are very generous and welcoming and excelent cooks!!!

• 127. At 11:34am on 04 Feb 2012, ines wrote:

In my opinion people have many stereotypes about other countries. People should know the country, the culture before to share an opinion. Nowadays people have many prejudices.

When I went to Cambridge, England I realised there are many people who are very friendly and sociable, because before I thought English were very serious.
    This experience change my previous point of view. Now I love England!

• 128. At 03:02am on 24 Feb 2012, Trung88vn wrote:

I sure that when you hear sound of Viet Nam,you'll think about Ho Chi Minh chairman, glyceria plant, Ha Long bay, mid-autumn sweet cake, hospitable person. Yeah! that's my country stereotypes!

Downloads