Last updated at 13:02 GMT, Tuesday, 17 January 2012

Spare time

Every week we ask you a different question. Hear what people in London say, then join the conversation!

What do you do in your spare time?

Join the conversation. What do you do in your spare time? Use the form below to let us know.

The Express English team

This is what some people in London told us.

People in London have a lot of hobbies and interests. But it's not all fun.

In their spare time they're doing housework, gardening and looking after pets.

But they do also like hanging round, chilling out …and flirting!

Did you know?

Fact

A survey has found that British men have 32 minutes more spare time each day than women!

Language tip

Spare time is sometimes referred to as free time or leisure time.

Cultural tip

Watching TV is one of the most popular leisure time activities in the UK.

End of Section

Now tell us what you think

What do you do in your spare time?

Comments are now closed.

Comments

• 104. At 01:17am on 27 Nov 2011, butter26 wrote:

In my spare time, I usually watch TV or listen to radio.
    but I don't understand because I'm not an English person.
    So I practice to hear....with TV & radio.

• 105. At 03:01am on 27 Nov 2011, Angelo wrote:

In the my spare time I study the english language because it si very imprtant for ny job and private life.

• 106. At 03:36am on 27 Nov 2011, Angelo wrote:

Hi I'm from Italy in the my spare time often I read the english magazine because I must learn very good the english language, the english language it si very imprtant for my job and also for private life.
    ciao Angelo

• 107. At 08:41am on 27 Nov 2011, eleni iasonidou wrote:

• 108. At 08:51am on 27 Nov 2011, eleni iasonidou wrote:

Hi everybody,I'm from Greece but I'm still alive and in my spare time I try to learn English that is difficult for me, I reade books, play piano, listen to jazz music.

• 109. At 2:35pm on 27 Nov 2011, zeroth wrote:

In my spare time i am surfing on network and watching tv. Sometimes i try to download music from internet and it takes a lot of time. Thus my spare time flies in my hands according to download rate.

• 110. At 2:36pm on 27 Nov 2011, Nidalicious wrote:

In my spare time, i listen to music, do meditation, do healing stuff, visit learning English sites, watch movies, spend time with Mom..

Love!

• 111. At 2:44pm on 27 Nov 2011, Hagar wrote:

Nowadays, I surf the internet searching for a good English sites to improve my language and sometimes look after my animals. But in my spare time in the weekends, I go out :)

• 112. At 10:22pm on 27 Nov 2011, Rasha wrote:

Hi.I am from Azerbaijan.In my spare time, i meet with my friends, sing karaoke and mostly i do sport(judo).Topic is interesting.

• 113. At 00:23am on 28 Nov 2011, pluzminda wrote:

What i am doing right now..browsing the internet ...is my spare
    time.

• 114. At 05:23am on 28 Nov 2011, Daravuth Chhay wrote:

I always reading news on internet on my spare time and some time listening to music !

• 115. At 07:51am on 28 Nov 2011, Mrkempes wrote:

Hello from Argentina!! In spare time I really love play football with my friends, study computer and English. Also enjoy listening Jazz (Miles Davis) and reading books.

• 116. At 08:51am on 28 Nov 2011, murad wrote:

In my spare time i like to do face book chating with my friends

• 117. At 08:56am on 28 Nov 2011, murad wrote:

In my spare time i like to go to the gyume , swimming , and watching soccer game

• 118. At 09:21am on 28 Nov 2011, Susan wrote:

Go to shopping,Movies at home,sometimes reading biographies.

• 119. At 12:12pm on 28 Nov 2011, ck wrote:

In my spare time,I like playing online games with my best friend and study English .

• 120. At 12:25pm on 28 Nov 2011, crystal wrote:

In my spare time, I have idle time just watching television, taking a nap, strolling and lying down in my bed. That looks like time-wasting but it is important to me. On weekdays I am always busy in working in the workplace and doing household chores. There is no spare time. So I don't relax. Having a my spare time in this way helps me working well.

• 121. At 12:31pm on 28 Nov 2011, Maceireland wrote:

As an "unemployed expert" I find myself with a lot of free time, so I try to do productive things for most of the time. Sadly, one of my passions is videogames and I can´t help wasting two good or three hours a day playing them.

• 122. At 1:19pm on 28 Nov 2011, Arlik wrote:

my spare time by crochet, reading motivation, watch a movie .... if I use a lot of spare time to travel

• 123. At 2:05pm on 28 Nov 2011, Youlihua wrote:

In my spare time, I read books, go shopping, go to karaoke, and so on.I have lot of things to do.
    However, I don't have enough spare time because of my part time job.I want spare time!

• 124. At 2:08pm on 28 Nov 2011, basak wrote:

I usually listen to music in my spare time.Also I read books,surf on the net and watch TV as well.But my favourite ones are watching films and painting stones.

• 125. At 6:44pm on 28 Nov 2011, FERNANDO wrote:

In my spare time I use to meet my friends and have a coffee or go to Pubs. Today I am going to cook for my boyfriend, because I love cooking and my english teacher gave me a new recipe. I love to read about politics and social topics, because of this I normally buy newspapers and social magazines. Then, one of my passions is to travel; I have visited many countries in Europe, and my favorite is Germany, being Berlin one of my favorite cities. I don`t like to waste my time watching TV if the program is not interesting because I think that we don`t have a lot of free time and the best way to spend it is with persons and emotions.

• 126. At 8:40pm on 28 Nov 2011, jorgerodrigo wrote:

I am a luckly guy because I have a lot spare time.Currently I study english and german with differents results. Maybe it can be surprisingly but German language is easier than English for me.In fact,German has a kind of rules where you can follow while English is incredibly cahotic for me!
    On the other hand I´m trying to mix English with sport,during last three years I´ve done the most famous marathons in english speaking coutries as London,Boston and last year New York.

• 127. At 07:44am on 29 Nov 2011, ibabaoglan wrote:

listening english mp3 files, efter this days reading english books, watching tv but not an addict. design electronic circuit at system is my favorite activities.

• 128. At 09:47am on 29 Nov 2011, Marina wrote:

Hi :)

In my spare time I go for in sport, cook and play the piano. I only relax, when I do this things. So I can spend a lot of time in sportstudio, in kitchen or playing the piano and I don't notice that.

your sincerely
    Marina;)

• 129. At 10:59am on 29 Nov 2011, odol wrote:

In my spare time I like writing my personal thoughts in English, sometimes in prose sometimes in poetry...For my think it's a good way to improve my English level and also to challenge myself.
    Then i really love listening to New Age music and sometimes playing voice-acting when I watch my favourite movies on the computer....it's very funny...hihihi....

• 130. At 1:26pm on 29 Nov 2011, Choi wrote:

In my spare time, I watch TV or movies. These can release my stress, and sometimes it is useful to study English when I watch them in English.

• 131. At 1:40pm on 29 Nov 2011, fyodor81 wrote:

I am going to fitness club for swimming and playing basketball, taking a photo in evrywhere in İstanbul and hangin out on this magical city:)

• 132. At 2:09pm on 29 Nov 2011, Cloris wrote:

What my favorite thing in my spare is doing housework.Although i look so tired after cleaning,i still enjoy a tidy house.Of course ,i look forward to taking more time to learn English,but i think it is more important to look after my family.I also like feeding my little cat,taking her a bath as well as giving her a manicure once a month.

• 133. At 08:16am on 30 Nov 2011, ebrize wrote:

Hello! I spend my spare time on learning languages (English, French and German).

• 134. At 03:47am on 01 Dec 2011, Huong wrote:

hiiiiiii! everybody.In my spare time, I like to see my friend anh have lunch with them.Then in the everning I want to go to the cinema

• 135. At 03:49am on 01 Dec 2011, Thu Hien wrote:

When I was single, I read book, watch TV in my spare time. But now, when I have 2 boys, I use my spare time to play with them, read book for the older and talking with the younger. Some time, we go shopping or going to the cinema. My Sons like do to the Park or game centre.

• 136. At 07:28am on 01 Dec 2011, Yulia wrote:

In my spare time I'm learning English at BBC.com. I like it so much. Also I like wachting TV, reading books, hunging out with my friends, clubbing. And of couse I have to do my housework.

• 137. At 2:45pm on 01 Dec 2011, quechi2711 wrote:

In my spare time I enjoy listening to music, especially chamber music by Richard Clayderman. Whenever I listen to his music, his piano, I feel very comfortable. That is the most relax time to me. I am very happy to share my habit to all of you.^^.

• 138. At 3:12pm on 01 Dec 2011, esni wrote:

In my spare time I usually play the piano , do ballets and listen music.I like playing the piano so much , it relaxs me and forgets everthing happens in the world.Doing ballets is also relaxs me.Sometimes I play basketball and skate with my friends.Actually in the school time I don't have much spare time.Because there are exams and homework to do.I also read books ,mostly adventure books, paint some chestnut and draw.

• 139. At 9:31pm on 01 Dec 2011, iremsimsek wrote:

In my spare time ı usually do karaoke. I also draw pictures and go to the cinema with my friends

• 140. At 10:52pm on 01 Dec 2011, Yukari wrote:

In my spare time, I study English. Because, I want to speak Englsh!
    Moreover, I watch the movie and go shopping with my friend in holiday.

• 141. At 10:57pm on 01 Dec 2011, Yukari wrote:

• 142. At 3:50pm on 02 Dec 2011, Riru wrote:

I often go shopping or watch a movie in my spare time.But nowadays my boom is to read comic books. That is very interesting!

• 143. At 6:14pm on 02 Dec 2011, mariam ch wrote:

• 144. At 6:16pm on 02 Dec 2011, mariam ch wrote:

I read sports news in my spare time.

• 145. At 05:31am on 03 Dec 2011, Matthew Meng wrote:

In my spare time I'm learning english on BBC!It's helpful to me to improve my english!However,I also do exercise in my spare time,like play basketball and swimming.It relax me and forget a day of pressure.

• 146. At 07:42am on 03 Dec 2011, silverpresley wrote:

Hello.

I am from Budapest,Hungary. At first I would like congratulate BBC on this site, because It will help my learning, I hope :)
    Besides English learning I like watching and playing football. I love the music, dance. I often stand on the stage as singer. In my spare time I deal with making of animations. So I love doing several interesting things I should enumerate these for long but now the learning is most important for me. :)

• 147. At 10:42am on 03 Dec 2011, mohsinalimemon wrote:

i love to read magazines n books as reading makes a man ready

• 148. At 9:14pm on 03 Dec 2011, M Faheem Khan wrote:

I am working in Saudi Arabia as a civil engineer and most of my time spent in front of internet. Although, I like reading books, watch movies and playing cricket.

• 149. At 11:39pm on 03 Dec 2011, chiaki wrote:

In my free time, I often read magazines with listening to music. And I watch DVD. I like this relaxing time.

• 150. At 08:31am on 04 Dec 2011, Nazuki wrote:

In my spare time, I like to watch DVD ,take a nap in my room and go shopping with my friends. To tell the truth, I want to travel somewhere but I have no money.

• 151. At 09:35am on 04 Dec 2011, Saori wrote:

I like spare time. I watch TV, play the piano and take a nap but I like surf the Internet best. I uaually watch a promotion video of my favorite singers at You Tube. It's very enjoy so it is past the time on a flash.

• 152. At 12:59pm on 04 Dec 2011, morizo wrote:

In my spare time, I help my mother or do my homework. If they were nothing, I go to shopping or play with my friends. First, I want to do what have to.

• 153. At 2:09pm on 04 Dec 2011, asami wrote:

In my spare time, I usually listen to music.
    Because, I like listen to music. And I also watch the movies.

• 154. At 3:33pm on 04 Dec 2011, Tatsuya32 wrote:

In my spare time, I usually go shopping, and do karaoke with my friends.
    If I'm alone, I usually read books and listen to music.
    That is fun.

• 155. At 5:28pm on 04 Dec 2011, Chie wrote:

In my spare time I watch the movie, go shopping, call with my friends, talk with my friends and sleepong. But I have to do homeworks.
    Recently I don't have spare time, because I do part-time job except for school time.
    I want spare time.

• 156. At 7:44pm on 04 Dec 2011, Smigglian wrote:

I'm Japanese student , smigglian!!

well,when I have spare time ,
    i always do napping , talk with my friends ,check my text,,,

these days because I'm a job hunter I read some books related job or economical.

As far to me, spare time is precious as hard as it is to believe....

thanks!!

from Japan.

• 157. At 8:18pm on 04 Dec 2011, Petar from serbia wrote:

I am swiming,playing football with a friends,go to our national restourant ''kafana'' to listen our old music and drink some fine wine.

• 158. At 04:35am on 05 Dec 2011, Bandoo1030 wrote:

I often have spare time to watch DVD alone. I like to watch a foreign film. For example, Harry Potter and Oceans series. Watching DVD makes me relax.

• 159. At 05:07am on 05 Dec 2011, tommy41sr wrote:

I like to call with my friends when I'm free. It's very important time for me. Recently, I talk with Korean friends by a international telephone. It make me cheerful!

• 160. At 06:17am on 05 Dec 2011, Ayami wrote:

I spend watching movie.

• 161. At 06:19am on 05 Dec 2011, HTT1217 wrote:

I am dancing in my spare time.

• 162. At 06:22am on 05 Dec 2011, wakakooo0521 wrote:

In my spare time,I like reading comics or watching DVD.But I alwsys busy,so I don't have enoght spare time.

• 163. At 06:23am on 05 Dec 2011, Yuya wrote:

In my spare time, I listen to music. I like earphone very much.

• 164. At 06:24am on 05 Dec 2011, polkaodd wrote:

I spend to do my favorite things in my spare time.
    Watching a movie , Listening to music .
    Thats my great times.

• 165. At 06:24am on 05 Dec 2011, mika wrote:

In my spare time, I listing to music.
    My favorite music is Korean pop.
    So I try to study Korean hard.

• 166. At 06:30am on 05 Dec 2011, Inocchi wrote:

I like spare time about walking.I often walking with music.It is very happy time and my stress rediate.

• 167. At 06:35am on 05 Dec 2011, kyo1 wrote:

If I have spare time, I want to sleep. This time enjoy doing time. I like playing soccer and eating foods.

• 168. At 11:37am on 05 Dec 2011, JoseLegio wrote:

I like doing sports in my spare time specially in the countyside but also studying english and spending some quality time with my family.

• 169. At 3:20pm on 06 Dec 2011, duc wrote:

In my free time, I often do some of the activities like: watching TV, listening music, searching the internet, playing the computer games. It seems to be I have a lot of free time, isn't it? However, I only have a very little free time because I have to spend the time for studying and working everyday. Therefore, whenever I have free time I divide it equally for these activities.

• 170. At 12:34pm on 07 Dec 2011, rashed wrote:

In spare time I like to sleep,reading and chatting with friend.

• 171. At 10:27pm on 08 Dec 2011, lipse wrote:

in my spare time I always go to see my friends and review my facebook this are the things that are like do in my spare time...!!!

• 172. At 10:28pm on 08 Dec 2011, BorisGuzman wrote:

I love free time because it's a good way to do something that you like, in my spare time I sing in karaoke or play videogames with my friends i think it's a good way to relax and take it easy!!!!

• 173. At 10:31pm on 08 Dec 2011, Richi86 wrote:

Well, in my spare time I use to play in my computer diferent kind of video games mainly rpg (rol play games) (Dota, HoN, Final Fantasy), also I do facebook and skype messenger to be in contact with all my friends. When I have a lot of time especially on saturday I play Basketball or soccer with my little brother.

• 174. At 10:35pm on 08 Dec 2011, anigomez wrote:

In my spare time I like to spend time with people that are really close to me like my family, and my friends
    I think is important share time with them because it`s the best way that you can really meet them.

• 175. At 10:36pm on 08 Dec 2011, bonilyn wrote:

actually in this days i have many hobbies and I spent my spare time in the sports, for example I play soccer with my friends and my parents. I play basketball, I swim, and others sports. But I would like to spent my spare time in others things, for example i like to share all time with my mother because she is the most importan person in my life and she help me in all difficult moments. The other time i would like with my all family and my friends, because they are very important for me.

• 176. At 10:37pm on 08 Dec 2011, Liz wrote:

I love to go to the cinema only last weekend I like swimming,playing football in spare time, I prefer to read a book , I love to listen to the music I enjoy wacthing to the movie.
    I like to eat some fruits, I enjoy seeing to the facebook, I surf to the internet I love to spend with my family, l like prepare the food I love to dance twice a week.

• 177. At 10:48pm on 08 Dec 2011, alexa wrote:

In my free- time .I like to read romantic books as Romeo and Jhulieta.Also I play basketball with my family. I listen to the music. I sometimes go to the cinema with my friends . I love romantic films but also horror films.

• 178. At 10:51pm on 08 Dec 2011, neguita wrote:

in my free time, i playing whit my pet and watch tv, i like walk in the park when rainning

• 179. At 4:15pm on 09 Dec 2011, saho wrote:

In my spare time, I listening to music and read a fashion magazine. Because I like shopping, I think about what I will buy and read a magazine to know the fashion.

• 180. At 2:29pm on 10 Dec 2011, ayumi wrote:

I work in my free time.I dont have any hobbies...(:-:) so I dont know how to spend my free time for me.once in a while,I hung out with my friend or my sister but I usually spend my free time for a job.

• 181. At 06:04am on 11 Dec 2011, satomi107 wrote:

In my spare time I listen to the music. There are about 1,000 music in my iPod. I like Japanese-rock. So I'm a bandsman and I play the bass. It is really fun.

• 182. At 08:35am on 11 Dec 2011, emimin wrote:

Having spare time, I always listen to music or sleep!
    When I take a train, I don't have something to do, so I'm always have my walkman!

• 183. At 11:17am on 12 Dec 2011, rizwan8782 wrote:

In free time usually I watch TV and learn spoken English.
    most of the time I use my free time to talk on phone to my family and friend. net surfing is also done on my free time.

• 184. At 2:36pm on 12 Dec 2011, Jolie wrote:

I like to study English because my english is not good. I usually play and talk with my children . In the weekend , my family usually go to swim,have lunch out side...

• 185. At 03:41am on 13 Dec 2011, Moon wrote:

In my spare time, I prefer to stay at home and do housework, watching tivi, listening music and surfing on the internet. Sometimes, I go out for shopping and drinking coffee with my friends.

• 186. At 08:27am on 13 Dec 2011, zunatta wrote:

i like to spend my spare time with my boyfriend, i prefer to do something together, as like walking on the field, visiting other towns, going shopping (he hates doing that), visiting our friends or just doing nothing , but always together. i like to cook especially for him and for my family, but not for a lot of people, i like to learn English, especially when i'm in a good mood and rules and words keep in my head without any effort)) i like redecorate my flat, moving the furniture and changing the details. and i adore films about love and funny english and french comedies

• 187. At 10:17am on 13 Dec 2011, Kanata wrote:

I just look at computer and do nothing.

• 188. At 3:09pm on 13 Dec 2011, Truong Le wrote:

Actually, there are many ways to kill the time. Howerver, I usually play fooball with my friends, especially at weekend. The reason why I am keen on playing football is that It gives me a lot of time with my friends and how to work in team. Another motive could be that, I can keep fit and stay healthy or revitalize in my strength.

Moreover, I often listen to music, especially pop music. This is due to the fact that Pop music has not only sweet melody but aslo soothing music. Furthermore, pop music has songs meaningful lyrics and catchy. I feel relax and relieve stress when I listen to music.

• 189. At 3:57pm on 13 Dec 2011, loverukianini wrote:

Usually I would listening to the music while surfing the internet. I found that i would had the feeling of uneasy whenever i don't listen to the music for > than 2-3 days...Besides, i always learn english language every day no matter it's spare time or not.

• 190. At 8:30pm on 14 Dec 2011, Tattica wrote:

I love running with my friends!!! Sometimes in my spare time read book and listen rock music

• 191. At 3:55pm on 15 Dec 2011, Jose wrote:

Hi, I'm from Venezuela, In my spare time I usually do activities according to the day and moment for example; watch TV, go out, Cine, Beach...I think it depends of the moment.

• 192. At 3:19pm on 17 Dec 2011, eriko wrote:

I usually listening music,wathing television,go shopping with my friends in my sparetime.

• 193. At 3:22pm on 17 Dec 2011, eriko wrote:

• 194. At 12:38pm on 18 Dec 2011, fatih ozan wrote:

Generally I am watching the movies,surfing on facebook,sometimes reading books,messaging with girls maybe :).
    Acctually i want to do different things,like learing support,growing some plants or looking for animal or to help other people in organizatin. Why am i not doing ? I think i am lazy :)

• 195. At 04:42am on 21 Dec 2011, Yusuf wrote:

Well, the question's itself i am getting enthusiasm to add mine here. I do possibly learning new things, reading books, listening to music, playing cricket, chatting with my friends, watching movies, surfing internet or kidding with kids in my spare time. Wow, it looks me to excite! Thanks!

• 196. At 04:56am on 21 Dec 2011, Yusuf wrote:

Well, I do possibly learning new things, reading books, chatting with my friends, kidding with kids, surfing on internet, watching movies, playing cricket, playing cards, playing chess or physical exercise in my spare time. Thanks!

• 197. At 09:27am on 24 Dec 2011, soehtut wrote:

in myfree time i play the computer game with my friends that give me a lot of fun and improve brain.sometime i drive to the out of town and enjoy countryside.breathing fresh air make me feel comfortable and refresh.

• 198. At 12:35pm on 27 Dec 2011, Hassan Bouyebri wrote:

im my spare time, i learn english

• 199. At 5:47pm on 05 Jan 2012, donatellla wrote:

In summer I like gardening as lots of British people do. I like also reading books, it helps me to relax and surfing the net to find new interesting activities for my students at school.

• 200. At 00:36am on 28 Jan 2012, tiantian wrote:

I am busy looking after my son every day, and he is fifteen months now. When he sleeps is my spare time, but Usually I am tired, and want to go to bed, too. I like cooking, reading, and tabletennis, and I really wish I have more time to do.

• 201. At 02:06am on 27 Feb 2012, Trung88vn wrote:

In my spare time, i usually surfing on the internet or listening my favourite songs. Besides, i play football and billiard with my friends at weekends.

• 202. At 10:10pm on 28 Feb 2012, Machi Lawyer wrote:

I like read, books of Law and Politics. And navegate in the internet.

• 203. At 10:12pm on 28 Feb 2012, Machi Lawyer wrote:

i like read so much in my spare time.

Downloads