Last updated at 13:04 GMT, Tuesday, 17 January 2012

Heroes

Every week we ask you a different question. Hear what people in London say, then join the conversation!

Who's your hero and why?

Join the conversation. Who's your hero and why? Use the form below to let us know.

The Express English team

This is what some people in London told us.

Some heroes are famous, like politicians and movie stars. Some are personal heroes - one woman says her hero is her mother.

And what makes someone a hero? They can be a role model, a leader, or someone you look up to. Often they have been through a lot of problems in life before they succeeded.

Did you know?

Fact

Batman is probably one of the most famous fictional superheroes.

Language tip

A heroine is the word for a female hero.

Cultural tip

National Heroes' Day is a national holiday of the Philippines. It pays homage to heroes throughout the country's history. This day falls on the fourth Monday of August every year.

End of Section

Now tell us what you think

Who's your hero and why?

Comments are now closed.

Comments

• 1. At 2:15pm on 07 Nov 2011, Elkagirl wrote:

My Hero is my Mother. She tried hard to bring her children up through all bad times with all her strength. Though she is not a perfect mother but I am not sure I can do the same like she did.

• 2. At 3:01pm on 07 Nov 2011, Jerryfai wrote:

My heroes are my parents.Maybe the same as yours.But that is true.My parents gave me a birth and brought me up,they had give me everything they could.Thanks for their love forever!

• 3. At 3:26pm on 07 Nov 2011, Rajshri wrote:

My hero is my husband.Respect,love and values makes his character very strong.Whatever the situation,he never gives up.He does not care about what people say.In fact he is not very social but he has a true heart full of loyalty ,kindness and love.. Although we are not same by our views but he always respect my opinion.He has also some fears but these can not overcome him.All these qualities and my experiences with him changes his image and I say he is my hero .

• 4. At 3:51pm on 07 Nov 2011, mauros wrote:

My hero are all the unknown common citizens who work or study hardly, pay all the taxes, respect all the laws and the civil rules, are tolerant towards everybody, believe in the peace, think that money is a mean and isn't the main target, struggle to save the environment for the future generations, hate the hypocrisy, abhor the bad politicians and the financial piracy, believe that there isn't anything better than the democracy. I've met thousands of these heroes all over the world. My country is full of these heroes.

• 5. At 4:08pm on 07 Nov 2011, 1310h wrote:

• 6. At 4:20pm on 07 Nov 2011, Kazimir wrote:

As for me a real hero is a firefighter. In any country firefighters are saving people from disasters and they have all features which a true hero should have. But speaking about a hero from the movie I would say Sean Connery as a James Bond is a real hero, he’s honest, brave, handsome and clever.

• 7. At 4:21pm on 07 Nov 2011, 1310h wrote:

My hero is my father, i look up to because the things that he make now, in the feature i want to do the same or similar, because i like the think that he may, and in my chilldhood he always was a model of dad, doing always the best thing to me, therefore he is my hero.

• 8. At 4:27pm on 07 Nov 2011, Dmitriy Azarov wrote:

It seems to me that you can see their everywhere around. The hero is that who lives rightly. Who lives not for yourself, who lives for society. There are a lot of people like I mentioned.

• 9. At 4:42pm on 07 Nov 2011, Casagrande wrote:

my hero is my mom, without she there i couldn't have everything I have, love, money, health, and much more. Lov u mom

• 10. At 5:01pm on 07 Nov 2011, sandeep wrote:

My hero is my parents,whenever i feel trouble they ask about my problems and trying to resolve, often give me piece of advice. after that i feel energetic yes you can do it.

• 11. At 5:26pm on 07 Nov 2011, madishka wrote:

My hero is my mother. I love her very much,so i am not able to explain it.

• 12. At 5:34pm on 07 Nov 2011, in_cognito wrote:

The notion "hero" is relative. Only few people are widely recognized as such, for example Che Guevara, Jesus, Mother Theresa.

Often we like one or a couple of their personal traits in spite of everything beeing aware of the fact they are just normal people with their strengths and weaknesses.

Particularly children need an example for imitation, their "hero", who helps them to find an orientation in this big world.

In my opinion, a real hero never wanted to be one. He|she just does what they have to or what is importent from their point of view.

• 13. At 5:46pm on 07 Nov 2011, Rodrigo Fascin Berni wrote:

The most recent hero to me is the nature. This heroine fights desperately to keep alive their more fragile children. And it has to endure the pain of watching as his greatest enemy, one of its most priviliged son, the man.

• 14. At 7:52pm on 07 Nov 2011, Vera_Kuzub wrote:

Hero is a strong, independent, honest person. The person who doesn't think of personal gain. The person who helps people becouse they need it. He do something special. For exemple He saves someone.

• 15. At 8:05pm on 07 Nov 2011, Cruzerland wrote:

My favorites heroes are people who begin their lifes, with nothing. I mainly think about poor communities who become respectable and are able to live normal lives . Not specially famous people.

• 16. At 8:27pm on 07 Nov 2011, justin wrote:

I would like to say that my mother is my hero. Obviously, she have been through many problems in her life. Most improtantly, she's experiences play a indispensable role in my life. For instance, she usually tell me what is right and what is wrong. My mother just like the god who affect my life all time. I love my mother.

• 17. At 9:31pm on 07 Nov 2011, Istvan wrote:

My hero is my grandfather he worked very hard since his childhood. He and my grandma brought up his children in the face of bad times. After my grandma had a stroke he was allways beside her, he nursed her. He learnt to cook in his seventies. I admire his strength.

• 18. At 9:41pm on 07 Nov 2011, bomsan wrote:

My heros are all those parents who are trying to get through various difficulties for their family...

• 19. At 11:46pm on 07 Nov 2011, alicianoia wrote:

When I was a child I believed that my parents were superheroes because, as by magic, they always had the solution for all my problems. And now it´s my turn, I hope my daughter thinks the same.

• 20. At 05:21am on 08 Nov 2011, lilapop wrote:

I think my mother is my hero. First of all, she always helps me whenever I've been through difficulties. Also, she has been my role model, showing how to be self confident in any circumstance. Heroes never dies. My mother would lead me forever!

• 21. At 07:52am on 08 Nov 2011, sabo wrote:

My hero is a person who can forgive people, especially people who hurt him or her.
      Yoshiyuki kono was suspected to have made a poisonous gas, but actually he was a victim. A terror group made the gas and his wife was injured seriously by the gas.
      However, he now forgive the criminals and even let them stay his home. His attitude toward a life is really impressive.

• 22. At 10:37am on 08 Nov 2011, durinuri wrote:

I would say my hero is Park Ji Sung who is soccer player in Manchester United.
      As you know It's difficult for Korean to be a player in England such as Manchester , Although it is, Ji Sung has overcame it and still alive in there.
      Definitely he is my hero and in Korea as well

• 23. At 12:47pm on 08 Nov 2011, Mrigendra wrote:

My hero is my teacher. I always inspire by him. He is blind, when he was in elementary school, has some problem in eyes and unfortunately became blind. His hard work and determination makes him a professor. He is sincere, kind, intelligent and good scholar. His memory is extra ordinary and his positive thinking inspires his students, I salute him.

• 24. At 6:09pm on 08 Nov 2011, Soler wrote:

My hero is Steve Jobs. I can hold him up as an example, as an example of free thinking,devotion to ideas and becoming above of everything in this earth. It's really heroic and his example is very impressive.

• 25. At 6:55pm on 08 Nov 2011, salih wrote:

My and Turkish people hero is Mustafa Kemal Ataturk who is the founder of Turkey. He is the succession of the last emperor of ottoman empire. He saved the country which is now Turkey from the enemies. He had set up the republic from the empire which is defeated and faced to extinction. He believe that only salvation could possible with his citiziens contribution and he never gave up even the situation in which he faced nearly impossible to save. He struggled not only enemies, he also struggled the betrayer inside the country. His enemies he had to fight had never defeated and they are the most powerful countries in the world. He stimulated the citizens with his famous motto which is "only salvation exist for us which is whether death or independence" Therefore, he won with the power came from citizens and he created the Turkish republic of Turkey from the ashes of ottoman empire. We owe him endless thank, and if we can live now with peace, independence and democracy, that's thanks to him. If he had not saved the country, our situation now would be the same to other middle east countries which has never found peace and democracy. The only muslim country in the world which live with democracy, independence and republic is Turkey.

• 26. At 7:21pm on 08 Nov 2011, aidas70 wrote:

My hero is Bruce Lee.A martial artist,an actor,a philosopher,a founder of Jeet Kune Do.A man,a father,a teacher,a man who had and has had so many disciples all over the world.He had unbelievable energy, will and charisma,and because of that energy, driving energy he died so young leaving behinde him his ideas and unfulfilled dreams.Alas souls and charisma never die!A picture of him hanged on my wall is so secretive and inpirational

• 27. At 10:14pm on 08 Nov 2011, hidroquinona wrote:

I love "V" of revenge, but wickedly urged the image of some people in Mexico as avengers of assasains.

• 28. At 02:26am on 09 Nov 2011, Tony wrote:

My hero is my mother.Perhaps she think I admire my father.actually,my mother is a powerful woman who deal with many things for my fathers.although she is bad-tempered,I admire her very much .because she is perfect

• 29. At 08:14am on 09 Nov 2011, JSB wrote:

my hero is maderterasa
      she dese not live for her self but god, other people
      she love god, other people with her all strangth, all heart, all life
      i respect her life very much

• 30. At 09:22am on 09 Nov 2011, zung_nguyenmy wrote:

My hero is JESUS CHRIST. Because He is Mighty Lord. He loves me, love you and everybody although all of us are sinners (Nobody lives on this earth have never sinned). He is the Only Son of God. He came from Heaven, and died on the cross to acquit us from sins, and His resurrection gives us hope in life.

• 31. At 5:05pm on 09 Nov 2011, mariajose wrote:

My hero is my older sister. Her husband died seven years ago. She has two children. At the time her husband died her children lived abroad and she had to raise a company without knowing how it worked.
      I had a great admiration for her.

• 32. At 6:57pm on 09 Nov 2011, soulofriver wrote:

My hero is my grandfather.Because he didn't go school until 15 years old because of WW2.after that he learnt it and now he still reads book.his job was tailoring,he worked so much in the past and his all child done their university.

• 33. At 7:46pm on 09 Nov 2011, kaethe wrote:

First of all I think,there's no heroe on earth or there are a lot of them in everyday life - I prefere the word of "courage" and "determination".
      My mother and my father were really great to help me growing up in spite of all difficulties (of which we had a lot) and as they're dead now, I don't especially think about them as heroes- but as courageous people.

Of course, a good childhood , protected and without any problems, even later on..., helps a lot.
      But real live and social contact gives you a lot of lessons , sometimes very hard ones and sometimes encouraging, it makes up your personnality, and that's better news than thinking of any hereo at all !

• 34. At 8:29pm on 09 Nov 2011, luc debruyne wrote:

My wife is one of my heroes. Her personality has a high level of patience. She always listens very carefully, she can also be silent if necessary and when she talks it's got a sense of goodwill.

• 35. At 09:00am on 10 Nov 2011, Tienhoa wrote:

Heroes are ones we respect because their most influence on our life. It is difficult to pick up a hero among them, but to seclect my parents are heroes because of their love and devocates throughout my life.

• 36. At 12:49pm on 10 Nov 2011, uberrimus wrote:

We Spanish have problems having heores. For us it is a very strong word. You can look up to a lot of people, such us your parents, a colleague, etc. But they are not heroes for us. I think that I have just found a false friend.

• 37. At 2:56pm on 10 Nov 2011, Juan wrote:

My real heroes are my parents. They have done a lot of things for my brother and for me. They grew in a limited economical environment. They did a big sacrifice to study in the university and they have given us a huge example to live, they are a role model for us. They have teached values with their actions.

My fantasy heroe could be batman. He is a human with a great habilities (and he has a lot of money for their vehicles and weapons).

I think in all world are real heroes who help the others. Maybe you might be a hero giving a smile, or hearing to someone who is around you.

• 38. At 5:55pm on 10 Nov 2011, Timolt wrote:

My hero is certainly Bill gates. Indeed, i think he represents success perfectly. Moreover, he has understood something very important when you are very rich: you can't really be happy while people live in poverty and try surviving.

• 39. At 00:05am on 11 Nov 2011, lorena wrote:

My hero is jongbum lee, who is a famous baseball player in korea. In 1980's, He monopolized almost every title and led his team 'kia tigers' to victory. Althoug he has seen his best days now, he always does his best whenever he plays the game. I respect his enthusiastic attitude in his field

• 40. At 02:17am on 11 Nov 2011, Face wrote:

My hero is my older sister. Her husband works in different area to her, so she who still works has to take care the kid by herself. I have learned the strength of life from her.

• 41. At 06:51am on 11 Nov 2011, tsatsaanaa wrote:

My super heroes are my parents same as others. They have done all things, includes possible and impossible things that people think can't do or impossible to do, for me and my brothers. They are real gods in my life. Obviously, all parents are heroes their children.

In addition to, I think everyone can be hero as for someone specially you can be hero as for yourself. Just listen your inner voice and do what u really want. Don't forget about people who help to make your dream and teach to how to do all good things. Having a lot of money, being a famous person or sacrifice your dream for someone's are not too important, just be a hero as for yourself.
      S.Jobs said Live like everyday is your last day to stay in the world, u will reach the best situation. Like he said, Try to be a make good things for your life, your family for your future. One day you will be hero as for you and others :)

• 42. At 11:00am on 11 Nov 2011, noemi wrote:

My hero is my boyfriend. He is working very hard trying to run a new company in UK. The company is growing very slowly but he never lose his smile.

• 43. At 1:03pm on 11 Nov 2011, Tamara wrote:

My herou is my mother, because she's a person honest.
      I love her so much, she's very important for me.

• 44. At 5:29pm on 11 Nov 2011, Alonso González wrote:

A hero is a person who is in a certain way a Leader. This leader has to have followers; Having followers is the razon of being a good person and do important and significants things for the welfare of others.

• 45. At 11:17pm on 11 Nov 2011, roberto2810 wrote:

My hero is Tex Willer, a funny cow-boy living in a comic-strip I often red when I was young. He always protected the weaks and fought against the domineerings. W Tex Willer!

• 46. At 01:59am on 12 Nov 2011, Purwanto wrote:

For me, my uncle is my hero now and forever. The main reason is when both my parents have passed away, he bears all the costs of my education as well as cost my life.

• 47. At 03:49am on 12 Nov 2011, Gracia2 wrote:

Um... My hero is my dear Father.
      When I was young, he always think about me^^. But till now. We're not rich. but he bought a guiter for me.
      And I remember that he often hug me.
      So I think my father is my hero ever and ever.

• 48. At 09:31am on 12 Nov 2011, angel wrote:

My hero is my Boss,He did not have high education background,But He seems know everything,I lean much from him.

• 49. At 5:38pm on 12 Nov 2011, castleontheriver wrote:

When she was a girl was enamored from Superman, in fact, of the personage interpreted by Christopher Reeve. Today already great, I admire to some heroins of English novels by its qualities morals. My favorites are: Elizabeth Bennet and Jane Eyre.

• 50. At 5:39pm on 12 Nov 2011, castleontheriver wrote:

• 51. At 08:07am on 13 Nov 2011, Trung88vn wrote:

My hero is Ho Chi Minh,who is the first president of Viet Nam.Because if without him, we wouldn't have lived in the peace today!

• 52. At 2:14pm on 13 Nov 2011, kyntire wrote:

In my view, a hero is someone who is capable of thinking differently, breaking old rules and believing the impossibile is possible somehow. They' ve got the courage and the dignity necessary to not make compromises whatsoever and they're not afraid to die, both in a physical and a moral sense.
      People such as Mandela, Gandhi, Jesus and Mother Theresa are heroes and heroins of course, but also common people such as Mr. Smith, making constant strenous efforts day by day in order to live life in dignity and in mutual respect, are worth to be named heroes as well.

• 53. At 6:41pm on 13 Nov 2011, Madjiguène wrote:

My hero is my mother,she is very courageous and i like her charactere,i mean the way she has to never give up if the situation is difficult.she has learnt to me basic rules and everything can help me to manage my life correctly.

• 54. At 11:14pm on 13 Nov 2011, aidoka wrote:

It is exactly my parents, because they have already made me who I am. For example, I'm an earthquake engineer as same as my father which is absolutely icing on the cake for me. On top of that he is absolutely in a class of his own. I have been in cahoots with him who taught and shared lots of knowledge and experience which help me to improve myself. It is just what the doctor ordered, actually. In addition to this, both my dad and my mom are supportive and they can break the ice easily.

• 55. At 01:23am on 14 Nov 2011, Vitoria wrote:

My heroes are people that make the difference in all the word.
      Steve Jobs is one.
      Vitória

• 56. At 10:22am on 14 Nov 2011, marketer88 wrote:

My hero is my parent, They are really good. They had no finance to set up their business. But now They success. Their life make me believe that nothing is impossible if u have the target, determination and the right way to do it. Thank my parent so much. Love u so much!

• 57. At 12:09pm on 14 Nov 2011, Emanuelrocha wrote:

My hero is anyone who can get him/herself being happy, not caring about stereotypes. They should be able to love and let be loved, with both no shame and no sexist, prejudiced role standards. I have a female friend (named Jel) who is quite like that and who I therefore do look up to.

• 58. At 1:43pm on 14 Nov 2011, Cindy wrote:

In fact any successful people are my heroes I think probably those successful people has been work hart or they are serious and persistence to face of their life this is what I can learn from them.

Downloads