Last updated at 13:06 GMT, Tuesday, 17 January 2012

Home

Every week we ask you a different question. Hear what people in London say, then join the conversation!

What does home mean to you?

Join the conversation. What does home mean to you? Use the form below to let us know.

The Express English team

This is what some people in London told us.

Home can mean warmth, comfort, peace and relaxation. To some people, home means where their parents live. That might also mean home cooking and getting your clothes washed!

Did you know?

Fact

The world's most expensive house went on sale in July 2011 for $175 million (106 million pounds). It's in Wyoming in the USA and has only three bedrooms!

Language tip

A cottage, a bungalow, a house and a caravan can all be types of home.

Cultural tip

A ger or a yurt is the name for a Mongolian tent.

End of Section

Now tell us what you think

What does home mean to you?

Comments are now closed.

Comments

• 1. At 7:07pm on 24 Oct 2011, Inês Serrão wrote:

It means fireplace and hot chocolate milk. It means peace.

• 2. At 8:22pm on 24 Oct 2011, Kazimir wrote:

I live at home in Ukraine. Actually I have two private properties where there are two homes. I like homes much more than flats. Here in Ukraine flats in many-storied buildings are so little that I can’t withstand to live in them. For me a home is a house where I can do what I want not scaring to disturb neighbors with loud music or my barking dog.

• 3. At 8:23pm on 24 Oct 2011, cedric_paris wrote:

A place were I can be relax to read, watch movies, cooking for my friends.

• 4. At 9:46pm on 24 Oct 2011, rado wrote:

Home usually is where your wife and kids live. And because I have 2 kids not older than 3 years, my home is far from meaning peace and relaxation yet.

• 5. At 10:13pm on 24 Oct 2011, csepelside wrote:

My home is my personal sphere of life. Being at home means to me to be protected from outer space.

• 6. At 10:34pm on 24 Oct 2011, dorita wrote:

I think home means my spiritual place when I can feel peace, love and relaxation.

• 7. At 11:20pm on 24 Oct 2011, Darlan wrote:

I live in a small apartment. It's very very cool, but not very confortable.

• 8. At 02:04am on 25 Oct 2011, perpleshell wrote:

home is not only a place you can live, but also a place you will be rest yourself, which makes you happy,free and confortable. when you get to the home, delicious food and warm bed make you forget all the unhappy outside;parents' care and other relatives warm welcome makes you like a person around with flowers and applauses which makes you touched. so no matter when you are tired or upset, home is always a harbour for you.

• 9. At 04:04am on 25 Oct 2011, oliver wrote:

When I come back home, I feel very relax and freely. Although there is simple furniture in my home, it is still very comfortable. Home's where I recover my energy after a hard working day. Home's where I freely express my nature characteristics, to be myself. Home's where each member in my family takes care of each other.

• 10. At 04:43am on 25 Oct 2011, GOVINDAY wrote:

Home means to me is love, enjoy, sharing personal feelings and learning...................

• 11. At 04:43am on 25 Oct 2011, sowork wrote:

To me, It means relaxation. I spend half of daily lives in it. So I have to make it more comfortable.

• 12. At 06:50am on 25 Oct 2011, samoanlawyer wrote:

Home sweet home...Home means a place where to relax, recover from the tiredness of the daily life, and to be safe, warm and dry, if you need, that is. In other hand, home is the place where we have total intimacy. Nevertheless, I think the best is to use our home when we need it, or in other way, not abuse of our home and go out as often as possible.

• 13. At 08:15am on 25 Oct 2011, sabo wrote:

It means 'love'. Whenever I remember my home, love comes to my mind.

• 14. At 08:21am on 25 Oct 2011, JavierGares wrote:

For me, home is a haven of peace. A place where I enjoy the most important things in my life, friends, music, reading, and so on. It is an space of freedom, far from the madding crowd.

• 15. At 08:29am on 25 Oct 2011, Goit wrote:

Home means a lot to me, much more equal to the family. in which i have my daughter, my wife, my parents. I feel comfortable at home.
      Every day I work hard just for a better life which is also for a better home-life.

• 16. At 08:54am on 25 Oct 2011, Vera_Kuzub wrote:

Home is place where you want to return after work. Your family live there. You feel yourself comfortable, happy and safely in this place.

• 17. At 09:57am on 25 Oct 2011, Tuyet Van wrote:

I have a lot of delicious food, fruit. Beside, I can sing karaoke with my mother.My home make me happy, because I always feel comfortable when I sit in front of TV to watching some shows with my family and eat some foods. Wonderful!

• 18. At 10:42am on 25 Oct 2011, colacio wrote:

My home is the place where I feel safe and can relax with my family.

• 19. At 12:03pm on 25 Oct 2011, aidas70 wrote:

I grew up in a country side , in a little shabby house , highly uncomfortable ,cold , with little space in it .My parents used to argue every day and my father drink often too.I loathed this home and dreamt of leaving it as soon , as it would be possible . Also as a child not having a nice good home I have always dreamt of having one , my own home.Until I have realized that our home is our peace of mind and since then , instead of looking for home , I am looking for peace in my mind and soul.I have to admit have not found peace nor a home yet , but I will . . .Thank you.
      aidas

• 20. At 1:02pm on 25 Oct 2011, MariaLuisa wrote:

I love sleep in my warm bed when out is cold. My home is some big and I would buy a small home, I will think.
      Also I love watch TV, listen music, videos and fictions; I do not love very mutch clean, but it's necessary. Bye.

• 21. At 3:41pm on 25 Oct 2011, aganipe wrote:

I think home is a place to rest beyond compare, so it came into the world that 'there is no place like home'. The further away from home, the more you are dying to go home.

• 22. At 4:04pm on 25 Oct 2011, tangvh wrote:

Recently, i have been tire becase your work make me feel stress.
      when back home, i relax the movie, eat delicious meals and look at my boy. I love my family. much much

• 23. At 4:33pm on 25 Oct 2011, regina hess wrote:

home is there where you sacrifice all living or existing things surrounding you

• 24. At 5:43pm on 25 Oct 2011, pupi wrote:

Home is the place where I spend my best time with my family.

• 25. At 6:07pm on 25 Oct 2011, denna wrote:

What really is home? In itself nothing but four walls with a roof leaned on them.
      Memories and affections make it so beloved, so comfortable. You don't need to overthink about things, to be worried and you can be sure of your relatives' love.
      And therefore in there you can feel so safe, so nestled.
      Just like in a cold, raining, autumn day, when you are inside, in front of the hearth, with a cup of hot chocolate in your hand...

• 26. At 7:08pm on 25 Oct 2011, Mindu wrote:

Home means simply everything. One day we leave, but it will always be inside us.

• 27. At 02:10am on 26 Oct 2011, Hilario Santana wrote:

My home mean all for me, because is where i feel relaxed and protected.

• 28. At 03:25am on 26 Oct 2011, love you 12 wrote:

my home where I feel comfortable and relax after a hard - working day,recover my energy.It is also my friends come and chat with me.

• 29. At 05:11am on 26 Oct 2011, Face wrote:

Home is a place where I can truly be myself and feel relaxes. I don't need to do the hair or wear the formal cloth.

• 30. At 07:30am on 26 Oct 2011, Gigliola wrote:

Home is the place where I can be myself. I like the most when it is silent and I can read and write, I can think about my curent isues and I can relax. I'm not leaving alone but, sometimes, I would like to. At the other hand, companionship are strongly connected with the home concept so, it is important for me to keep a balance between those two.

• 31. At 09:52am on 26 Oct 2011, ACARI wrote:

I think, home is where you are feel safe.
      and live together with your family.

• 32. At 10:00am on 26 Oct 2011, renee49 wrote:

To me, home means not only the house where I live. I'm at home where I have friends, family, people who I love and who give my a feeling of safety and emotional security.

• 33. At 5:37pm on 26 Oct 2011, tahira wrote:

Home means...to chill.... eat mom's tasty dishes... watch TV and just relax...actually I live at home and I am afraid to leave my lovely home...

• 34. At 5:43pm on 26 Oct 2011, BK wrote:

Home is where someone you love and someone loves you lives!

• 35. At 6:29pm on 26 Oct 2011, Oxbridge College wrote:

Home is sweet home! To me home is everything! It is more than a dwelling place, where the charity begins, the loving kindness blooms and flourish. My home is a heaven, that taught me the meaning of life, made me a man. Where there is no love there is no life so the home becomes merely a house or a concrete building without love. Nowadays people have forgotten the concept of home because they all live in a house. A house never feels the life within but a home does!
      Oxbridge College, Hatton

• 36. At 7:50pm on 26 Oct 2011, selyus wrote:

home means happy because of free all of thing, flat or house not important,

• 37. At 9:45pm on 26 Oct 2011, Oxbridge College wrote:

To me, home means a lot. I have always been longing to be with my parents, even on holidays. I feel the freedom of being all by myself. I like to be able to do things in my own, I really love that. At weekends I involve in washing my clothes, tiding up my study, stuff like that. Being at home gives me a big slice of relaxation!

• 38. At 11:15pm on 26 Oct 2011, taleb168 wrote:

home is a place where you feel calm ,relax .it is the place where you can do what you want to do eg: cooking ,sleeping .it is the best place to enjoy your time and your privacy .

• 39. At 03:11am on 27 Oct 2011, Migo wrote:

a place it can give me a power for next day. home make me feel comfortable to speak and to do anything what i want to do.

• 40. At 09:33am on 27 Oct 2011, melodysj wrote:

the most save place in the world what you could find is your own home. you don't need to pretend yourself any more, but just prasent the real site of you. you could do and say what you want at there. it is the place not to talk about the reason but the emotion. enjoy your youself in the safe and cozy place.

• 41. At 10:45am on 27 Oct 2011, Soler wrote:

For me It means your own space where everything reminiscent about yourself. There you are relaxed and have the feeling of safety. It associate with warmth, tasty food, comfortable bed and so on.

• 42. At 2:38pm on 27 Oct 2011, Gomas wrote:

According to me, home should be a place where we can take refuge when we want, I mean like a cocoon. I very like when it rains and I not leave my home. In that way, I could stay at home all the day !

• 43. At 3:33pm on 27 Oct 2011, zeroceline wrote:

For me home mean lots of love.

• 44. At 7:16pm on 27 Oct 2011, luc debruyne wrote:

For me - now in autumn- and wintertime - home means a place where you feel very well. Today the weather was fine but in the evening it becomes a little bit colder. So it's comfortable when the heath fire burns. It's cosy and sociable, beside the fire when wood crackles and the flames radiate, together with the family's members ... reading a book, watching an interesting program or solving a puzzle.

• 45. At 7:42pm on 27 Oct 2011, Kinisa wrote:

For me home is the best place in the world, is the place where you can meet your beloved ones and have a nice time eating together or just watching TV... also is the perfect place when you want to spend some time alone... of course that's just until you get married and have childrens ;D

• 46. At 00:15am on 28 Oct 2011, cdc88 wrote:

It means privacy and freedom

• 47. At 01:18am on 28 Oct 2011, DY Kim wrote:

Home is the place where i feel comfortable, warm, happy. During daytimes, most people experience many stressful event in school, office,.. but when they go back to the home, stress that get in officehour will be disappear and they will feel happiness. that's home!!

• 48. At 08:27am on 28 Oct 2011, salih wrote:

Homes' mean for me is the heaven of earth. I mean, the only place which I live peace, love and good relationship in earth is home. Therefore home's mean for me is strongly related about spiritual things not materialistic. Home should be include lovely relationship between families. If everyone can maintain this relationship in home, home will be the most beautiful and sacred place for people. Therefore, not only me but also for all people, home is the most important and beautiful place in which people live peacefully.

• 49. At 09:52am on 28 Oct 2011, ramazanyetik wrote:

it is a kind of castle where even Kings never can come in. it is warm, cool and real world in the world with member of it.

• 50. At 10:43am on 28 Oct 2011, Omar wrote:

For me, home is the place of physical and moral refreshment at the end of a long day of work. It's, also, a shelter for warm relationships with housemates or family.

• 51. At 09:13am on 29 Oct 2011, adelmo wrote:

I live in a small flat in Italy, but for me it's like a royal palace.
      it's the place for my parents or my friends.

• 52. At 11:05am on 29 Oct 2011, ramazanyetik wrote:

• 53. At 6:15pm on 29 Oct 2011, ellenlee wrote:

Home , comfortable and a place can be the real me

• 54. At 8:59pm on 29 Oct 2011, Seliger wrote:

For me home is my husband )). When we are together every place can be our home. Be together - it is the main thing.

• 55. At 7:05pm on 30 Oct 2011, premkumar wrote:

home creates a beautiful peaceful atmosphere, its our own world we can do anything according to our wish

• 56. At 9:15pm on 30 Oct 2011, maher wrote:

home is the most lovely place. when I want to look for peace ,relaxe and love no place better more than my hone .

• 57. At 9:16pm on 30 Oct 2011, maher wrote:

home is it

• 58. At 9:18pm on 30 Oct 2011, maher wrote:

• 59. At 9:20pm on 30 Oct 2011, maher wrote:

nome is the most lovely place .

• 60. At 07:12am on 31 Oct 2011, sharmya wrote:

home means comfort,safety and relaxation,because we can do everything in our home. that is ,we can cook and we can sleep.moreover we can stay our home with comfort.

Downloads