Last updated at 13:06 GMT, Tuesday, 17 January 2012

Relationships

Every week we ask you a different question. Hear what people in London say, then join the conversation!

What do you look for in a relationship?

Join the conversation. What do you look for in a relationship? Use the form below to let us know.

The Express English team

This is what some people in London told us.

Relationships are all about enjoyment. They want someone to have fun with, someone who can have a laugh. Someone "who doesn't get too heavy about it" and of course - someone good looking!

Did you know?

Fact

A survey has found that married couples live longer and enjoy better health.

Language tip

A relationship can describe mutual dealings, connections or friendships between people, groups or even countries.

Cultural tip

According to a survey, it takes the average British man three years before he proposes to his girlfriend.

End of Section

Now tell us what you think

What do you look for in a relationship?

Comments are now closed.

Comments

• 1. At 11:35am on 18 Oct 2011, mun wrote:

i hate relations and relationships .it is just to be being selfish we make relations and make things done for ourselves .you want somebody to make u happy ,good looking,for enjoyment u need a relation that's it.

• 2. At 12:24pm on 18 Oct 2011, Mahnaz wrote:

One can look for a person who has something in common with. It is important to have a sense of humor, and look attractive. In my opinion, if you are looking for a long term relationship, your partner should have something admirable forever. A point that can not be affected by time. I think that the social status of the partner is also very important. However, the social status can vary by time ;)

• 3. At 1:46pm on 18 Oct 2011, kanu sonowal wrote:

Relationship means not all those postive things that happens. Sometimes it becomes headache and irritating. but that's all depends upon their personality.

• 4. At 2:04pm on 18 Oct 2011, rounnapa wrote:

I'm not good at English.. So How do I comment ??

• 5. At 2:23pm on 18 Oct 2011, regina hess wrote:

Till now I didn't need a relationship. But when times goes on I'm
      feeling more and more an outsider, because my religion is v e g a n i s m . The only quality I'm looking for in a relationship is
      sharing my religion.

• 6. At 2:28pm on 18 Oct 2011, duc wrote:

A meaning about relationship vary in different people. For me a good relationship which i look for is someone who can understand me. She must be a girl who is very sympathetic and reasonable. Her appearance should be ok, I dont need a very pretty girl. She is the one who I can share my feeling with even it is a good or a bad thing. Moreover, She must respect me and I also do the same with her. That is a good relationship which I am always looking for and I have being in that relationship already. I am so happy because I find my true love now. Wishing for people who are looking for a relationship will soon find it and who have being in the relationships are always happy in their relationships.

• 7. At 4:33pm on 18 Oct 2011, ARABIAN-BEAUTY wrote:

well, it depends on what kind of relationship .. if it's a friendship i like someone to have fun with and trust in him/her
      but if it's love relationship i'll the one who is honest,clear, loves me and makes me feel secure ..

• 8. At 5:05pm on 18 Oct 2011, tangvh wrote:

i think relationship is a part in my life. They share to me when they are happy or unhappy. And me too. They help me pass dificult situations.

• 9. At 5:12pm on 18 Oct 2011, Soler wrote:

I look for in a relationship soulfulness, something deep than usual.

• 10. At 6:06pm on 18 Oct 2011, hc wrote:

I'm looking for love, cheers, confident and a great friend.

• 11. At 6:49pm on 18 Oct 2011, Ronan wrote:

for me the most important thing in a relationship is to have a good connection with the other person!

• 12. At 7:23pm on 18 Oct 2011, alicianoia wrote:

It is important to respect each other freedom in a relationship. I don´t mind that my husband has a lot of hobbies and he spends a lot of time on them, but we have the same idea with regards to the family, education, religion, politics etc. I am hooked on different activities and he respects me too.

• 13. At 8:16pm on 18 Oct 2011, edukator wrote:

What I expect from a relationship are loyalty and sharing sadness as well as happiness. But these are my current expectations. I mean, in different terms of life, people are likely to have different tendecies in a relationship. In my country women classify men as men to get married to and men to have a fun with . So while an adult women prefer the first ones, young women do latter.

• 14. At 8:43pm on 18 Oct 2011, Istvan wrote:

I think relationship should be based on mutual respect.

• 15. At 00:02am on 19 Oct 2011, luscinia wrote:

The most important think in a relationship is when you can rely on in your partner. But a good looking is important too

• 16. At 02:31am on 19 Oct 2011, arwen wrote:

I think relationship is more deeper than normal friendship. In a relationship, we are looking for a person who can share everything with us. We don't need to hide any thing.
      No one is perfect so the person doesn't have to be perfect. The most impoortant thing is we learn and understand each other more and more after suffering differenct events.

• 17. At 03:25am on 19 Oct 2011, monky kevin wrote:

what i look for in a relationship is that we can enjoy a better life ,we have the same goal in our life.

• 18. At 04:43am on 19 Oct 2011, GOVINDAY wrote:

Relations are based on trust, beauty and good looking will go off as time passes.

• 19. At 06:06am on 19 Oct 2011, samoanlawyer wrote:

Well, first of all I look for company, so I like somebody who makes me feel all right with. Then, I look for somebody who has sojmething in common with me, otherwise the conversation won't be fluent, and we won't know what to talk about. Of course, I don't want somebody who is like me, rather I want somebody who accepts me as I am. And the last but not least, thing I look in a relationship for, is a person good looking of course.

• 20. At 06:46am on 19 Oct 2011, Vera_Kuzub wrote:

I think we look for someone who will be understand us. Who do we feel the comfort, fun and love.

• 21. At 1:04pm on 19 Oct 2011, Hugo AC wrote:

Communion.. i look for communion!

• 22. At 2:55pm on 19 Oct 2011, CritiquerLeMonde wrote:

Just as the song "The Sound of Silence" by Simon&Garfunkel states perfectly, the one I'm looking for must understand my feelings, if we can talk to each other without speaking, yes, there she is. The rest is dreaming about her during boring lectures, looking forward to spending time together and enjoying the life to the full!

• 23. At 3:46pm on 19 Oct 2011, kyntire wrote:

I actually found all I may have ever wished in the 20 something years old relationship with my husband - don't know whether or not it is the same for him, though ;-).
      I found mutual respect, sharing of life perspective and projects, lots of sense of humour, which very often does help, and most of all love. Love from the heart, but also from the bows and even from the brains, strange as it may seems.
      A good relationship, which hopefully lasts forever, has to be a good cocktail of many ingredients, has to be cultivated and paid attention to, like you do when doing something really important and gratifying. I like to compare it to the creation of a real piece of art, or to a good wine that becomes better and better as time goes by.

• 24. At 6:51pm on 19 Oct 2011, arkarmm wrote:

Relationship should be based on love, mutual-respect and understanding with each other.

• 25. At 8:27pm on 19 Oct 2011, Tereza wrote:

I am looking for someone who will understand me. It is not necessarry to have same opinions at everything but the partners should understand and respect each other.

• 26. At 07:01am on 20 Oct 2011, Romashkin wrote:

Relationships for me is being with a person who i can completely rely on, who always suppots me.

• 27. At 11:29am on 20 Oct 2011, salih wrote:

Relationship is a fundemental need for people. Who can say that I can live without any relationship. I mean loneliness only belong to God. No one can endure to live with loneliness forever. Regarding the relationship, it can be divided several categories. Those are on the top of my head that romantic relationship, family relationship, business relationship and so on. Each of them is necessary for people. I wanna stress about romantic relationship. Trust and honesty is the nuts and bolts of this relationship. Each side need to trust to each other. Couples need to open and articulate themselves without any misinterpretation. I think that romantic relationship is good for people's health. People's mood also likely to affect positively from any romantic relationship. Endorphin hormone is likely to work more efficiently. I mean romantic relationship is always beneficial to people for many aspects. Meanwhile, married couples need to maintain romantic relationship only with themselves. That's the best medicine for couples to maintain healthy communication. I'm not a marriage counselor but if I were, I would advise couples that maintain romantic relationship to each other whatever the situations are or how long they've been married.

• 28. At 12:59pm on 20 Oct 2011, salih wrote:

I wanna stress about starting a relationship. Especially in a relationship with opposites sex. I feel always nervous and excited when I begin a conversation with opposite sex for a relationship. I need to be more relax and calm to articulate myself more clearly and I need to cope with stress effectively. Otherwise, I cannot take the result which in my imagine.

• 29. At 1:32pm on 20 Oct 2011, bajeeda1 wrote:

Relationship is not a simple word.it has wast meanings.we have relationships with friends,colliege,brothers, sisters ,father,mother,husband,wife,uncle aunt,etc etc etc.we cant count.as far as husband and wife is concern the relationship between them should be feiendly so that they can understand each others.

• 30. At 3:24pm on 20 Oct 2011, binsar wrote:

I have good relationship with my wife. I have relationship with her before married. It has been 15 years ago. We have same different but it's make us keep understanding each other. We always support and give the best thing to make happy each other.

• 31. At 9:12pm on 20 Oct 2011, Juan wrote:

I look for in a relantionship a support to continue growing and learning new experiences. Some one when you can rely and be honest with me. I thing it's importan that your mate tell you your mistakes and highlight your strenghts.

• 32. At 02:02am on 21 Oct 2011, Kouichi wrote:

With couple of years passing by, some people is likely to have different experience getting along with close friends, sometimes we haven't met before but it comes to relationship as we know. It seems a lesson to learn how to look for, and most of the importance, what you look for in a relationship. For me, the answer is the person I could go through the life together.

• 33. At 02:13am on 21 Oct 2011, JSB wrote:

What do you look for in a relationship?

I look for teacher of life
      so then I can live good life
      I may meet teacher in book

• 34. At 05:11am on 21 Oct 2011, Janice wrote:

Relationship for me is a sacred thing, it is like you are entering to a marriage. It is somewhat we treasure, we give value from beginning to an end. It is where a couple discover their common things and differences. So before I enter into a relationship I made sure I am with someone whom I can be with for the rest of my life. I took every relationship seriously..not just because I do believe in KARMA, but for me to experience to love and be loved.. even if some people thinks that we could only get hurt, on the other hand this hurt will teach us to the right path.

• 35. At 06:13am on 21 Oct 2011, Tienhoa wrote:

A relationship is the way that two people or groups show towards each other. Sharing and helping are what people look for in a relationship.

• 36. At 1:04pm on 21 Oct 2011, Bolarinwa Sikiru Abiola wrote:

Honesty,modesty and humidity means alot in any relationship. Being cynical/self righteous can end a relationship easely.

• 37. At 6:26pm on 21 Oct 2011, tangvh wrote:

A relationship is no mean that you have to make friend someone, have some same favourite or any thing. With me, my relationship is my mother who is worry when i'm ill, my father who watch football match and argument, ...and finally, my love who i can share my difficult problem.:d

• 38. At 6:43pm on 21 Oct 2011, FUSEINI wrote:

What an intelligent question every prospective couple should ask his or her partner. Personally, i see relationship as a sort of give and take thing.I mean, it should be reciprocal.
      Its pity to say the growing population of Ghanaian females think it is the sole responsibility of the man to make a relationship work. On top of that,they think the man should invariably break his back to finance their stay.

Contrastingly,I vehemently oppose to the above notions.In this century,where the Europe crisis is persistently affecting every business and hence people, both spouse should work in order to finance the family.
      Moreover,my future wife should be ready to tell me the truth before i find it out myself;no matter how bitter it may be.
      In short,all i look forward to in a relationship is nothing but hardworking and truthful woman.

• 39. At 10:28pm on 21 Oct 2011, azizelmaghreb wrote:

Relationships are necessary for life, regardless of what kind of relationships we are in. we must know how to deal with the other part and handle the ups and downs.

• 40. At 02:17am on 23 Oct 2011, Jihyekim1278 wrote:

i think that we always have relationship for all our days . for example in society, home , school ...
      i am always looking for new relationship to share their think, beleif, goal, ect...

• 41. At 06:00am on 23 Oct 2011, jjukbbang wrote:

I want to make a relationship with people who have a good sense of humour and have bravity. because i'm not a brave person.
      i think good relationship is not a meeting with a similar person but a meeting with a different person each other.
      exactly, human being is umcompleted being. so we should try to find a mutual supplementary person such as we get married with different gender.

• 42. At 07:28am on 23 Oct 2011, sexyberry wrote:

• 43. At 11:51am on 23 Oct 2011, FRANZ wrote:

In my opinion relationship is very important in our lives because sometimes we need help or sometimes we need to help, share experiences and be loved. We are not a caveman. We live in a society and we interact everyday with another people. Be isolated I think it's not good for health and could cause mental problems. As was told in the video about the looking I prefer put in this way: be cleaning, educated, responsible, healthy, ethic, etc. This is to my opinion is what people expect about a good looking person.

• 44. At 12:48pm on 23 Oct 2011, karen wrote:

As far as the relationship to keep I concern, honesty and reliability are very important to get on with each other, even connection (I think that could match between two people). I don't mind we are not the same interest and hobby, because we can chat and discusses each other with the different things that can be increasing topics and learning more.

• 45. At 3:17pm on 23 Oct 2011, Alberzan wrote:

Relationship is a big meaning not just for fun,It means bigger than that

• 46. At 5:05pm on 23 Oct 2011, Jo wrote:

Honesty and sincereness is the most important thing for any good and long-lasting relation!!

• 47. At 5:27pm on 23 Oct 2011, Ale Rossi wrote:

Relationships are about adaptation whilst keeping the spark of what has catched up your partner´s interest at the beginning . Life is long and circumstances changes all time.

• 48. At 01:27am on 24 Oct 2011, DY Kim wrote:

I think relationships between people are most difficult things we have done. we feel happy when we make good relationship but if relationship is broken, we feel frustrated.
      Every people want to be supported by friends, wife, familiy...emotionally, physically. Good relationships make that kinds of things possible. so good relationship is very improtant

• 49. At 02:13am on 24 Oct 2011, castleontheriver wrote:

Hello!. I believe that any healthful relationship is characterized by the mutual faith, the sincerity, the respect, the growth like person.

• 50. At 02:56am on 24 Oct 2011, oliver wrote:

Relationship refers to different kinds of connection between people. It might be a family relation, a romantic relation or a business relation. When I start a relation, in whatever kind of relationship, I always hope for an equality treatment. That means I would have the same voice, and receive the same respect from the partner.

• 51. At 04:31am on 24 Oct 2011, crystal wrote:

We live in various relationships and cannot live with them in mordern society. But they are getting more complicated, so sometimes I want to get rid of them.
      What I look for in relationship is up to the kind of relationship. In relationship between man and woman, I look for someone who is good-looking and not serious. In workplace, I have a good relationship with the person that is hardworking and punctual. In friendship, I try to understand my friends because if so, that relationship will last for a long time.
      Above all, to survive in a relationship society, I think that we should not take any relationship too seriously, just enjoy well.

• 52. At 08:18am on 24 Oct 2011, mr kashi wrote:

Relationships are actually a massive gift of God ...... if v people utilize them in good ways, it will be really benificial in all aspects of life, if someones own heart is clean, he must gain the reward...lot of people think that everyone is selfish and wants his or her own benifits , true in current array , but it all depends on your thinkings......lot of points for debate but enough for today......

• 53. At 08:19am on 24 Oct 2011, mr kashi wrote:

• 54. At 10:53am on 24 Oct 2011, melodysj wrote:

we are living in the world where is full of all kinds of the relationship. family relationships, friends relationships, workmates relationships and so on. we must face them and handle with them everyday, even every moment. why should we build up many relationship in our life. sometimes we like it or need it , sometime we have to do it.
      the most difficluties what we face is not the building of relationships but have a good balance between them. this task make us exhausted sometimes.
      so think about in your mind and be careful when you want to build a new relationship with someone.

• 55. At 12:11pm on 24 Oct 2011, Laura wrote:

Relationship is a vital factor in our lives, anytime, you enter a social context which will incurr a relationship. And, today, i am so excited to voice my oppion about a couple relationship that i am looking for. Personally, a long lasting relationship should be built on a respection, understanding and sympathy between two people, however, in day to day living, to maintance a strong relationship, in marriage relationshiop, a social position is also important, for example; their occupation, their education and their background, because, i am not truthly confindent to get well in a relationship if my partner are jobless, or having a financial burden. So, the relationship should deliver a happy and a home-feeling in both emotional and physical aspects.

• 56. At 5:05pm on 24 Oct 2011, juanalvarezu wrote:

I think that when you´re starting a relationship all is good and you have a good time with that person but when the issues appear the relationship is boring.

• 57. At 03:24am on 25 Oct 2011, Sarah141 wrote:

I am looking for a soul mate, and now I have found him. I think mutural relationship contains not only sweet love, but also fight or quarrel, and undertanding. I hope we could support each other forever, no matter we are poor or rich. Happy time is always easier, but the hard time may be more valuable.

• 58. At 9:57pm on 25 Oct 2011, justin wrote:

Before i look for my friends, i always consider some important points. Frist, my new friend must be the person who i want to talk with he/she. Then, the person must have the desire to do better. Obviously, i want my friend to have fun with. The last but not least, they are good people.

• 59. At 10:53pm on 25 Oct 2011, Awaaji wrote:

It is very fantastic

• 60. At 08:48am on 26 Oct 2011, praveen wrote:

Maintaining good relations in life is important. I woud like to have relations to share my joy's and pains. If you don't have someone to share your acheivements,those are useless.I look for a relationship with whom i can have lot of fun and supports me when i have hard time in my life.

• 61. At 10:20am on 27 Oct 2011, abdul nasir waheed wrote:

The relationships are a blessing of allah.The prophet Mohammad(P.B.U.H) had a very good relations with every one in his society.Islam also pays special attention to relationship.This is the reason that islam has made it essential to pray five times a day so that we could build a relationship with the people coming to the mosque.The Haj is also made essential so that we could make relationsip with people from all over the world.

• 62. At 10:25am on 27 Oct 2011, Nun wrote:

Someone I look for is able to make me have a smile the whole day and understands in my personality.

• 63. At 10:09pm on 27 Oct 2011, MariaLuisa wrote:

For me relationship is talk about many questions, excenge opinions, respect others and to be respected.

Sorry my english is not very good.

• 64. At 03:30am on 29 Oct 2011, nuenk wrote:

why i need a relationship? i have heart that full of love..so i want to share my love with the others..that is life about, sharing your love.

• 65. At 10:36am on 29 Oct 2011, dada wrote:

I'm from Cambodia. I think relationship is very important for our life. we cann't live without relationship with anothers.

Downloads