Last updated at 13:08 GMT, Tuesday, 17 January 2012

Fashion

Every week we ask you a different question. Hear what people in London say, then join the conversation!

What's in fashion at the moment?

Join the conversation. What's in fashion at the moment? Use the form below to let us know.

The Express English team

Magazines give strange names to trends, like hobo, military or nude.

Nude normally means naked - but that wouldn't be fashion, would it? So in fashion, nude means clothes which are skin-coloured.

In London people wanted colours, the brighter the better. Or pastels. Or turquoise. One man's sensible advice is to look clean-cut and presentable.

Did you know?

Fact

Christian Dior's New Look made fashion history in 1947. It featured voluptuous designs that used a lot of fabric leaving behind the World War II years, when many products were rationed.

Language tip

The expression 'fashion victim' refers to a person who is too keen on buying anything that comes into fashion.

Cultural tip

Some people think it is rude for a man to wear a hat indoors or for people to shake each other's hand wearing gloves.

End of Section

Now tell us what you think

What's in fashion at the moment?

Comments are now closed.

Comments

• 1. At 8:31pm on 10 Oct 2011, m_chapelier wrote:

I can't define what's in fashion right now, I've never been a fashion victim. I just try to look smart when and where I go.

• 2. At 06:51am on 11 Oct 2011, samoanlawyer wrote:

Before to say nothing, I must declare that I am far to be a fashion spetialist, but looking around I have seen in the last times people returning to the retro style, in other words, using everything which looks like comming from the 70's or 80's. Also I think there is a kind of pop style, with tiny trousers, narrow shirts, and sport shoes, mainly with 'converse' design.

• 3. At 08:13am on 11 Oct 2011, Vera_Kuzub wrote:

I don't follow fashion. I buy clothes which is comfortable and suits me. I don't watch it is a new collection of clothing or not.

• 4. At 7:06pm on 11 Oct 2011, saeideh wrote:

To be honest as I don't follow fashion I have no idea what is in fashion at the moment,but I think whatever is comfortable and suits you could be fashionable.

• 5. At 9:41pm on 11 Oct 2011, pierrick428 wrote:

It is really hard to define what is fashion or not ! Nevertheless, we can try to find a trend. The last few day I have seen lots of people wearing checked shirt with beige/grey trousers.

Personally, this winter I have chosen to wear more classical clothes : shirt with a slim pull and a crumpled scarf.

• 6. At 10:49pm on 11 Oct 2011, andersonmsp wrote:

To be fashion at moment is to dress like tv celebrities in movies or soap operas. Today, nobody wants to be original.

• 7. At 11:44pm on 11 Oct 2011, tahira wrote:

I don t care about what is in fashion at the moment I just wear clothes who suit me and are comfortable somtimes I try some new trends but I think I make just my own style of all what I get...

• 8. At 09:04am on 12 Oct 2011, MURATKAY wrote:

Actually I dont care fashion.I have never interested in fashion in my life.Fashion is just a kind of cheating that makes you spend your money and time.

• 9. At 12:05pm on 12 Oct 2011, salih wrote:

I don't follow fashion. I choose wears which looks good and suitable for me. I don't wanna be fashion follower.

• 10. At 12:07pm on 12 Oct 2011, mun wrote:

according to me fashion at the moment will be 'fashion always at the moment' for a person who is healthy ,confident ,delivering controlled expressions with whatever he/she wears right from a full length coat to 2 piece cloths and also fashion shld start frm u as trend setter not frm others and be a trend follower

• 11. At 5:07pm on 12 Oct 2011, Soler wrote:

How It seems to me "In fashion is" what is a good fit on you. The clothes never make you more fashionable than you are. Your mentality,your view of world and own taste (perception of things) and manner to wear any clothes make you fashionable person.

• 12. At 5:49pm on 12 Oct 2011, torrescano wrote:

Since I am not into fashion, I think as long as you wear clean clothes you are ok. Obviously, you have to use a good combination of colors, and keep on mind wearing the proper dress for the place.

• 13. At 11:08pm on 12 Oct 2011, mauros wrote:

Fashion? Fashionable is who looks clean (inside and outside), smart, well dressed without any extravagances both in colours and in sizes, wearing proper suits during the work or school time and a bit sexi during the fun time, provided that his/her age and body permit it.

• 14. At 11:32pm on 12 Oct 2011, Albeur wrote:

Fashion is what people think it is fashion , But It is what you think and believe is fashion .
      It always comes from hart and senses ..

• 15. At 04:03am on 13 Oct 2011, Juan wrote:

Actually, where I live, for consecuences of weather, we are going to entry in winter season, fashion is suit warm clothes like gloves, raincoat and scarf.

• 16. At 07:42am on 13 Oct 2011, Rickflyer wrote:

fashion on my mind,just nice fitting,look smart and clean cut,wearing what you like,must not like unmatched colour on up to down

• 17. At 08:47am on 13 Oct 2011, Shineliss wrote:

The only thing I know is that classic is always in the fashion. I don't usually like what fashionistas wear though I prefer style to fashion. But I really enjoyed notes of hippie-style (big bracelets, long variegated dresses, headscarves etc) in the fashion of last few years :)

• 18. At 11:54am on 13 Oct 2011, candy wrote:

in my opinion, fashion come from one's heart and sense, not too exaggerate, if you look confidence, clean, and smart, no matter what brand you are wearing, it is fashion.

• 19. At 11:39am on 14 Oct 2011, Tenzin wrote:

Ironically corruption, divorce and greenhouse are in fashion at the moment. I say these are ironically in fashion in a sense that we see them everywhere, but will these exist. I wish if these are in fashion, no longer will these exist.

• 20. At 2:18pm on 14 Oct 2011, yasser wrote:

Enough that a person is good-looking and elegant in wearing gardless of the fashion. because Fashion of the impact of short-term and eliminate what the already new trends used.

• 21. At 7:28pm on 14 Oct 2011, Abu Saleh wrote:

Fashion is .....a part of life...bcoz , Fashion only no restrict wearing it is related our religion.... so Fashion near my,, is life to do beautiful part.

• 22. At 10:44pm on 14 Oct 2011, moatazz wrote:

I'd like to all who added comments because i appreciate all comments

• 23. At 11:49pm on 14 Oct 2011, aidoka wrote:

Wow!! What a question! That's so tricky! Really, tough!! It's extraordinarily difficult to answer this question. You know, honestly speaking, I have never thought about it before so I don't know what to say exactly. However, if I had to guess, I would say fashion depends on whether your clothes fit you or not.

• 24. At 04:35am on 15 Oct 2011, castleontheriver wrote:

Hello!. I ask pardon but I do not know the correct meaning the word "fashion". From my subjectivity, I associate fashion with frivolity.

• 25. At 10:23am on 15 Oct 2011, tomo_st wrote:

I don't follow fashion. I often wear similar kind of clothes I like. They are comfortable for me. The hardest thing is to find clothes to make me look nice.

• 26. At 12:17pm on 15 Oct 2011, FRANZ wrote:

I don't mind about fashion. I wear what I like. If I see something new that is good for me I use. But I never use some clothes because people say it's fashion.

• 27. At 5:18pm on 15 Oct 2011, TobyCheung wrote:

I think fashion should be chic enough,on the cutting edge.
      Fashioners should be outstanding enough to be more eye-catching

• 28. At 8:49pm on 15 Oct 2011, GhufRan wrote:

Some times I thought following fashion is kind of crazy. People hate what their grandmas wear and laugh loud on that, but when TV told them this is the fashion for this year (wearing clothes as in 60s). They wear it with out dout!!

I think that erase their personality and their money!!

• 29. At 9:07pm on 15 Oct 2011, LUTFI44 wrote:

The main important thing is not whats we have in our wardrobes from different types of clothes and fashions but whats we have inside our hearts ??? (loves,sens,feelings...etc )
      We see many peoples have a very expensive clothes and these peoples follow up the fashion regularly and we see them almost alone without friends because he don't have any thing in his heart.
      Actually we should to be in average in every things .

• 30. At 06:23am on 16 Oct 2011, Helen Tang wrote:

Actually I am not a fashion victim, all my clothes are simple style. But if you ask me what is in fashion, in my opinion I think it should be innovative, modern, emphasize design, style and pattern, acceptable by the public and will become a trend.

• 31. At 03:33am on 17 Oct 2011, crystal wrote:

I don't care about what is in fashion at the moment. Often I watch that on TV but I think that almost all suit me and sometimes they are strange to me. So regardless of fashion trend, I wear clothes that look clean-cut and fit to my job. I don't like heavy colored clothes because I have a brown complexion. Although I don't mind the latest trends, I always try to know what is in fashion. Therefore, I don't look unfashionable.

• 32. At 6:58pm on 17 Oct 2011, dimke wrote:

I think it is fashion to say that you don't follow fashion.

• 33. At 9:42pm on 17 Oct 2011, justin wrote:

I can't define what's in fashion right now.For me, any clothes that are just comfortable to wear and look personal are ok. For example, i like jeans, because i can sit on everthing and move freely with them. I am not stronly influenced by the so-called fashionable colors or styles.

• 34. At 10:27am on 18 Oct 2011, melodysj wrote:

the most fasional things what i could think about is sit down in starbucks, take out your Ipad and surfing or contakt with your friends and family members. is it already out for the new generatons?

Downloads