Last updated at 14:17 BST, Monday, 12 September 2011

Boxing

Every week we ask you a different question. Hear what people in London say, then join the conversation!

How do you feel about boxing?

Join the conversation. How do you feel about boxing? Use the form below to let us know.

The Express English team

Some people think boxing is a noble sport, and boxers have admirable discipline.

Others feel it's disgusting and barbaric to hit someone, or to take pleasure in watching people beat each other up.

Did you know?

Fact

Muhammad Ali is a three-time World Heavyweight Champion and many boxing historians consider him to be the best heavyweight champion ever.

Language tip

The idiom 'on the ropes' means on the verge of defeat. It refers to a boxer who has been knocked against the ropes that enclose the boxing ring and that is kept there by blows from his opponent.

Cultural tip

In boxing there is an imaginary line from the belly button to the top of the hips where a boxer is not supposed to hit. To hit below the belt is considered a behaviour that breaches the rules or decency.

End of Section

Now tell us what you think

How do you feel about boxing?

Comments are now closed.

Comments

• 1. At 2:39pm on 12 Sep 2011, Angelina wrote:

On the one hand boxing is a cruel kind of sport. It' disgusting to see how people mutilate each other.
      But on the other, it is well-paid sport.Boxers can stand up for themselves.

• 2. At 3:25pm on 12 Sep 2011, Kazimir wrote:

I used to box when I was 18 but now I like just to see it on the TV.
      On the one hand I think that boxing is an art and when two well known champions are fighting under rules it’s wonderful but on the other it’s a very harmful and unhealthy type of sport. So if you know what you want go and do it but if you want to preserve your own health do not boxing.

• 3. At 5:56pm on 12 Sep 2011, Juan wrote:

I consider boxing it's a violent sport. But somehow I admire boxers because they have to prepare for combat and I suppose they know the consequences of their activity. They must be prepared to give and receive hits.

• 4. At 6:50pm on 12 Sep 2011, Soler wrote:

At a glance this is a very brutal sport,but It advantages to be more stable and strong in the life. It bring up the strong soul in you. I am a girl, but I like it very much.

• 5. At 9:07pm on 12 Sep 2011, crina wrote:

I think that in this world there are things for everyone. So....box is a sport as others sports which is practiced by strong people.I think that this kind of people has a level of aggressive behavior and box help them to throw out that energy.

• 6. At 10:29pm on 12 Sep 2011, csepelside wrote:

If I know well boxing was a sport of ancient Greeks and opponents fought under rules. I like it because it's a masculine sport and the fighters have the same chance to win. It's better and more fair than fighting against each other with weapons. This kind of sport also gives chances for those who haven't other opportunities to make money or carrier by using their physical advanteges.

• 7. At 00:35am on 13 Sep 2011, Robhornet wrote:

After the swim it is my favourite sport. My uncle was a boxing champion and now he's very strong.

• 8. At 01:34am on 13 Sep 2011, sete25 wrote:

I hate this sport, I don't like because is so violent and our modern life is hard enough...

• 9. At 01:41am on 13 Sep 2011, tenocht wrote:

I love boxing, When I was young I used to box, it is an excellent sport to keep fit.

• 10. At 02:51am on 13 Sep 2011, Elkagirl wrote:

I don't see any point in encouraging someone to punch the other as a healthy sport.

• 11. At 02:55am on 13 Sep 2011, Astorga wrote:

I have never practiced boxing but i think that this sport requires a lot of discpline, training and the most important thing a huge phyisical condition! Also in Mexico it is one of the most popular sports and my country have had a lot of world champions!

• 12. At 04:31am on 13 Sep 2011, Bashar Al-Ali wrote:

I don't like this kind of sport,it's very cruel .
      I like foot ball , I like Manchester United.

• 13. At 05:12am on 13 Sep 2011, yomilk wrote:

I thinks boxing is a barbaric sports of the world after bull-fight.Beside we have various of entertaiment similar as Smack down, Raw which all the kids like to watch.This is harmful for young boys make them copy characters.

• 14. At 07:05am on 13 Sep 2011, Tereza wrote:

I agree with the third person in the shot. For me, boxing is very digusting and dangerous kind of sport. People usually do some kind of sport to stay fit and healthy - but boxing is harmful for health, I think. Punch to a stomach or head cannot be healthy. When I see something like that, I feel sick. I cannot even see boxing scenes in movies.

• 15. At 08:03am on 13 Sep 2011, Vera_Kuzub wrote:

I don't like boxing. But I watch it when Klitschko brothers are taking part in this fight. I am from Ukrain and I support them.

• 16. At 09:23am on 13 Sep 2011, bryanphan82 wrote:

mabe, I know little about ali, but I think that boxing is a dinguisting sport.

• 17. At 12:08pm on 13 Sep 2011, Tenzin wrote:

Boxing is a kind of sport that can be played with the motivation of defeating the counterpart, not with the sense of making a good relationship. Though I am not a boxer, I could say, in the place of boxers, there is a plenty of fears, hatred at the time of sporting. This kind of sport lacks what we want from sporting.

• 18. At 12:34pm on 13 Sep 2011, SoYoungKim wrote:

I really hate boxing. When I see people get hurt, bleeding too much, I feel so nauseous. To me, boxing is not a sport. It's just a ignorant, useless and meaningless action. I don't understand why some people call it noble sport.

• 19. At 1:05pm on 13 Sep 2011, Andrew wrote:

I like boxing, even though I have never played that sport.

I think we need to keep the wildness in somewhere such as in sports,

because it will remind us that we are not the gods but a human beings.

• 20. At 3:08pm on 13 Sep 2011, ReyMysterio6-1-9 wrote:

To start with, I think that Boxing is a good sport because... it's a good form to evacuate your angry or something else like that... Personally, I love boxing like catch (WWE)... It's not a problem for me to watch boxing matches ^^

• 21. At 5:49pm on 13 Sep 2011, renee49 wrote:

Sometimes I watch boxing at TV, especially world championships are interesting. Some fights are really good, but there are fights I can't stand it to watch. But however, I know that the boxing training (just the training, not the hand-to-hand-fight!!) is very good and effective , because it gives you not only strength, but it is also good for condition, coordination and the ability to react. It keeps you really fit, and it's equally suitable for men and women!!

• 22. At 8:25pm on 13 Sep 2011, Olegario da Costa wrote:

Boxing is a controversial sport. And so, we've got to bear in mind there are many practitioners and different purposes. While some practice boxing just for fitness, others face competition, while others are professional fighters. I have practiced boxing for a couple of years in the past. Although it is perceived as violent, in my opinion it is as violent as any martial art.

• 23. At 9:03pm on 13 Sep 2011, leganasiul wrote:

The boxing is a sport, I like it because is fast, strong and relaxing.

• 24. At 9:25pm on 13 Sep 2011, Remi wrote:

When I was a child, an animation series of boxing, Tomorrow's Joe, was broadcasted on TV, which wiki page I think you can easily find out. It is a story of an orphan meeting his tutor and finding his rival to become a strong boxer. In an installment of it, a character tells, "Boxing is surely a barbarian sport, but owing to there being the technique of defence in it, it had changed from just a fight where only a strong person wins, to an art which requires high techniques and restraint." And, I think the enemy of a boxer is not only the opposite of his game, but the boxer himself. He has to fight in a white jungle called a ring, solitarily, like a hero in 'The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner'. I like boxing very much, though I don't play the game.

• 25. At 9:37pm on 13 Sep 2011, Diana wrote:

Boxing like any other sport must be seen just for healthy purposes and maybe for no harmful competitions ... It never should've been for betting money to see which person can't even move and is bleeding more.

• 26. At 00:04am on 14 Sep 2011, ElaineLima wrote:

I consider this sport very violent. I don’t agree with violence and I don’t contribute watching the box. It’s important we select what is in fact is important in our life. I don’t learn nothing when I watch this fight, so I prefer other kind of sport that appreciates the fraternity among the participants as football, volleyball and other, without hit the other.

• 27. At 01:54am on 14 Sep 2011, DY Kim wrote:

I think boxing is a vilolent sports. Most of People have some violent characteristics in their mind, but they cant express that characterisctis legally. So people excited when they see boxing.

• 28. At 09:05am on 14 Sep 2011, salih wrote:

Boxing would be a sport but it is harmful sport for people. Serious injuries would be occur during boxing. I don't see boxing as a sport. Sport should be beneficial for people it shouldn't be hazardous. People who do boxing take very serious punch on their heads which is cause to serious health problems. It is never worth for boxing. Actually, the sports which include hitting someone for harm never seen as a sport. Sport aim is keeping people healthy, fit, happy and active. Boxers might love boxing but it cannot change the inevitable fact that boxing is harmful for people who do it. Some of the boxers suffer the bad consequences from boxing. Some of them died in the arena and they left the sadness family behind them. God created human body as a perfect mechanism so it's sacred and it should be protected. In the name of sport, most lifes had been tarnished. People need to be aware this difference.

• 29. At 11:44am on 14 Sep 2011, Noah wrote:

I like boxing, particularly the boxing training is good for people who want keep their body fit by endurance, mobility and physical condition training. In terms of boxing, I think the best time was as Joe Lewis, Max Schmeling, Muhamed Ali, George Foreman and Mike tyson were boxing. Nowadays it is then only about money.

• 30. At 1:57pm on 14 Sep 2011, bajeeda1 wrote:

hi everyone,
      well actually i hate boxing because its crual game.the two men beat each other and the spectator enjoys just because they are beating each other.it showa some sort of voilence,we should discourge these sort of game and should promote healty game

• 31. At 4:42pm on 14 Sep 2011, Poy wrote:

Boxing is a good sport which can keep body fit with some muscles. It's good to learn it in order to protect ourselves from being beaten by someone. However, I don't like watching boxing, especially kid boxing matches which are regulary performed in Thailand. The kids are too young for fighting matches.

• 32. At 01:57am on 15 Sep 2011, luscinia wrote:

I think boxing is a violent sport and could be prohibited. This sport don't combine with the modern world.

• 33. At 12:47pm on 15 Sep 2011, Easter wrote:

Boxing is a dangerous sport. Inorder to win, the fighter has to inflict fatal blows to the opponent. The strategies in this sport seem to have less contribution to the art of combat at current times because of the advances in technology.

• 34. At 10:24pm on 15 Sep 2011, Liu wrote:

You know, all guys admire to boxing or to be boxer. I do sometimes. Some says it's fairly natural for men because it stimulates such like potential for violence that is imported in cruel game and bloody movie. some says learning to boxing is helpful to protect ourselves and even to our health. But it's not any more of fighting. Beating the oppenent and letting him bleed is sport? it could be sport for the kings of empire who take their pleasure as watching the gladiatorial combat. Today Boxing is just show. for who? for our animal pleasure.

• 35. At 07:33am on 16 Sep 2011, TaherUddin wrote:

Games are stupid, just for fun. So, the responsible authority should take appropriate measure to keep it safe for performer such as making instruments softer. I fount no credit in using the hard ball by cricketer that can kill them. Each and every cricketer has broken and fracture injury. Same is in boxing, boxer can use high-tech suit and helmet that will save them with more fun. But problem is that authority and media prioritize the money issue maximum, many of them think that, this are the core item of excitement and that is a the root of barbarism.

• 36. At 2:20pm on 16 Sep 2011, khaledyoussef wrote:

I think it's a fatal sport

• 37. At 2:50pm on 16 Sep 2011, pykao wrote:

Maybe some guys think boxing games are exciting. As I know almost of them are fake. They do perform. However, somebody ignore this reality, they are fonding of their power or muscles. If these games meet our requirement, it should exist.

• 38. At 3:26pm on 16 Sep 2011, Ice wrote:

Generally people like this game. However, personally I do not like this game. A game should make people healthy, mentally and physically. Boxing is not a game to support this.It brings your mind to a wage war.
      When you watch a game there should d be a chance to enjoy it up to the end. As a game boxing is risky. No body knows when is the danger.
      At a slight mistake one partner could be in a serious condition, could have a situation to end the life or unconscious for ever.

Knowing the risk and danger of this game why should we entertain. Why should we play games to win by fighting.?
      As civilized people why should we encourage this sort of games. No religion teaches to harm another person. I do believe we must get rid of this type of games.

• 39. At 4:15pm on 16 Sep 2011, Marc945 wrote:

I think that Boxing is an art and a noble art as people say.
      It's two men (or two women) who enter the ring and fight for their life. It's a mixture of pain and beauty of this sport. Boxers give everything on the ring.
      I like this sport and i have lot of respect for boxers.

Unfortunately, boxing is dying because of the competition of the mixed martial art and the image that some boxers give. It appears like an old sport who is losing speed.

I hope to find out a new Ali or Tyson soon. I'm not impressed by David Haye.

• 40. At 08:31am on 17 Sep 2011, nk25 wrote:

I don't understand what kind of pleasure people get in this game In my view its not a game at all where they are fighting and hitting violently . This game is totally different from other games like cricket and football where team are playing without making injuries to the opponents.

I don't find anything interesting in the boxing and I feel that these kind of dangerous and voilent games should be discouraged.

• 41. At 5:58pm on 17 Sep 2011, GATTACA wrote:

It's simply a sport, an old sport, a great show and a big business like a soccer or any other sports....... .

TYSON .... THE BEST ONE::

• 42. At 07:01am on 18 Sep 2011, Iqbal Ahamad wrote:

I believe boxing is one of the oldest sports on the planet, but yes, it is harsh and sometimes disgusting.
      Don't forget you need lots of guts to be a boxer and more important you have to go through hell of workouts and exercises to become a professional one.

Thanks

• 43. At 11:12am on 18 Sep 2011, duc wrote:

On the one hand, Boxing is a well-known sport today. There are many Boxing's lovers all around the world because it's a very interesting sport. Boxing is also a very strong sport which is required the boxers many strengths to join in this sport so this reason make people have to train a lots in order to take part in the field.

On the other hand, Boxing is a very violent sport. The boxers are very easy to have injury and hurt in this sport. Moreover, in the bad case people would be died in the field because of the components. It also has a bed effects on the watchers who enjoy watching this sport. There are many researches prove that Boxing can make people who watch it become more violent. Therefore, the watchers are very easy to get temper and to have a bad influence on their family, relatives and the society which they live in.

Boxing has both advantage and disadvantage. However, the fact that it is loved by many people all over the world and it is a very important sport today. In order to make it is a better sport for the joiners and the fans of it we should have more rules in this sport to prevent the violence of it for boxers and watchers.

• 44. At 11:52am on 18 Sep 2011, mope1988 wrote:

Boxing is a kind of sport that dislike me, but I can understand that other people enjoy playing or watching this sport on TV, I respect that, everyone is free to make his choices. My opinion is that I don't like boxing 'cause it's so violent, dangerous for the players and I think too that it's not a sport where children can learn about working with the rest of the team (as basketball) or valours of honour, respect, fair play...I'd prefer other sports like basketball, football and not sports that only teach competitive and agressive valours.

• 45. At 5:50pm on 18 Sep 2011, nastyushka333 wrote:

Don't really like it and don't understand people watching it. Even martial arts are much better because they have some philosophy behind. Boxing for me is just hitting each other, not sport but fighting. I wouldn't like my son take it though I'd rather feel like he could defend himself. But we have self-defense courses to learn that. When the aim of sport is to defeat your opponent in its literal sense it becomes something unnatural. When it all began in old Greece, people stopped fighting. Now fighting is considered sport. I am against this.

• 46. At 11:06pm on 18 Sep 2011, Shota Suzuki wrote:

I do martial arts. I think that technique is needed when doing boxing. When I did sparring with advanced man, I could not hit him. Boxing is noble.

• 47. At 11:12pm on 18 Sep 2011, Jamaluddin wrote:

I do not have good feelings of boxing, because when two people are competing ,they go wild and hit each other like they are fighting.
      We are the generation of 21th century and we do not need to fight each other like people did in the past and it is not necessary to train fighting skills.
      Although boxing has alot of fans around the world but it's provocative prospects can lead people to fighting behaviour.

• 48. At 03:28am on 19 Sep 2011, crystal wrote:

I don't like boxing because it's very cruel and harsh. In this sport, boxers get always hurted and sometimes their looks are disgusting. I don't know actually why they play this sport.
      In our country, South Korea, boxing is thought that poor young men do this because this sport don't need any expensive apparatus but just fighting. For example, the famous boxer of our country began to play this sport to get rid of poverty. Unfortunately he died in the ring during defend his champion title. Since the incident, I haven't more interested in boxing. But at the moment, boxing is getting popular as good sport to keep fit and relieve stress.

• 49. At 08:27am on 19 Sep 2011, kim wrote:

From my point of view, each sport has its own value. I strongly believe that boxing has its own special value and attraction, although I am not keen on watching boxing matches. We should admire the existing sports.

• 50. At 5:20pm on 20 Sep 2011, taprom wrote:

i don't like and wonder how we enjoy to see people fighting.

• 51. At 12:43pm on 21 Sep 2011, fumi wrote:

Watching boxing is exciting to me. Boxing is extremely dangerous sport. Boxers must be strong. not only a body but also a will. that's what i think it's cool.

• 52. At 9:47pm on 21 Sep 2011, hidroquinona wrote:

When boxers are in equal circunstances the performance is so entretaining, I admire his discipline but I hate the marketing that involve this sport (like many others).

• 53. At 06:21am on 22 Sep 2011, moutaz wrote:

its old sport & i don't know why my father like it......

• 54. At 3:17pm on 23 Sep 2011, Jose Daniel Gamez Rodriguez wrote:

• 55. At 11:06pm on 23 Sep 2011, Jose Daniel Gamez Rodriguez wrote:

I don´t like the boxing because is a violent sport and it´s consecuenses are so bad for the human. Many people who have practice it, have problems with them eyes, other with the memory or Alzaimer such as Mohamed Ali. I read some articles where experts said that the boxing to made crazy the boxers for many hit that them recived in the head. It´s damages for the brain and nervous sistem.

I prefer other sports: swiming, gymnastics, athletics, tennis, football (not american football)

• 56. At 06:07am on 25 Sep 2011, U14980947 wrote:

I don't know this sport (boxing) and really I don't like it or watching them when they are fighting each other. I hate to see someone hurts someone else. but I think killing arts are very important because you maybe need them when suddenly someone attack you so in this case you can use the killing arts to defend you that time.

Downloads