Last updated at 15:56 BST, Tuesday, 20 September 2011

Being a man

Every week we ask you a different question. Hear what people in London say, then join the conversation!

What's the best thing about being a man?

Join the conversation. What's the best thing about being a man? Use the form below to let us know.

The Express English team

Supremacy in the workplace; promotions and better pay. More freedom, more independence.

And the worst thing? It's still hard to show your emotions, if you're a man.

Did you know?

Fact

The fastest man in the world is Usain Bolt. He completed the 100m race at the Beijing Olympics in 9.69 seconds.

Language tip

'Bloke' is an English slang term for man.

Cultural tip

In the UAE local Arab men will typically greet other local men by touching noses or kissing cheeks. And it is not uncommon for two Arabic men to hold hands or link arms and walk together in public.

End of Section

Now tell us what you think

What's the best thing about being a man?

Comments are now closed.

Comments

or register to comment.

    • 1. At 12:11pm on 19 Sep 2011, abdallah wrote:

      This comment has been referred for further consideration. Explain

    • 2. At 1:14pm on 19 Sep 2011, Elkagirl wrote:

      First of all, they don't need to suffer from 'monthly pain' and 'mother wanna be pain' at all. Second, it is more secure for them to go anywhere. Third, in some cultures, Man is superior than Woman.

      Complain about this comment

    • 3. At 3:01pm on 19 Sep 2011, pup wrote:

      men's are always to prove something and one important thing is that to show somekind of power that really affect the societies somwhere.

      Complain about this comment

    • 4. At 3:02pm on 19 Sep 2011, Mary wrote:

      I am a woman but I will tell you what is best thing about the man that he can fight and scream , he can deal with the other men who are aggrassive.
      he can take care of his family in the crticle situations like death.
      the bad thing is that he must be aggrasive to deal with other aggrasive people

      Complain about this comment

    • 5. At 3:04pm on 19 Sep 2011, kyntire wrote:

      The best thing about being a man is, for me, the fact that he's kind of "allowed" to do only one thing at a time. I mean, for example, at the end of a working day seldom would a man be asked to do anything else than relaxing in front of tv. And should he do so, he would be probably considered some sort of a familiar hero, prone to sacrifice in the name of his wife and children. On the contrary, it's much easier for a woman to be taken for granted somehow. Even if she's got a job and comes home late in the evening it's nothing special that she cookes, cleans and puts the children to bed. As a matter of fact, she is quite often considered a multitasking human being. Truth to say, she is just a normal, sometimes very very tired human being, exactly like a man.

      Complain about this comment

    • 6. At 4:02pm on 19 Sep 2011, single0line wrote:

      As a men,
      I think the best thing is we need not to pay much attention to our appearance( when compare with females).
      And the worse thing.. UM.. the social status of female is equal( or even higher than) men, But there are still something old thinking, such as, the male should pay almost all the bills in dating.
      That may sound reasonable, but sometime the men if is not able to bear these bills by themselves.

      Complain about this comment

    • 7. At 4:03pm on 19 Sep 2011, chu-yu-ting wrote:

      diversity of cultures displays different models that a man exists in a nation . Taiwanese men are often taught to be strong and ambitious.

      Complain about this comment

    • 8. At 6:06pm on 19 Sep 2011, Kazimir wrote:

      If you are asking about a masculine I would say that he must be strong, honest, non-emotional, brave and generous. That was about just a male but there is another description of a man as a social person and there are more definitions here: rich, handsome, gentleman, intelligent and successful. But all these social definitions strongly depend on a testosterone level in his body. Hence there is no true man (male) with a low level of testosterone.

      Complain about this comment

    • 9. At 6:37pm on 19 Sep 2011, viktoriam wrote:

      I think that the best thing about a man is being logical and less emothion, being strong and large. And the worst part is the lazy and not the economic.

      Complain about this comment

    • 10. At 7:01pm on 19 Sep 2011, FUSEINI wrote:

      Many moons ago, men are given higher respect,previlages and authority especially when they are wealthy.In exemplification,islamically,men can marry up to four wives provided they can cater for them. I must say, this is a sort of dogma and is most prevalent in such Islamic countries as Saudi Arabia,Indonesia and the Notherning part of Nigeria.Furthermore, Islamically speaking, women regardless of their social class are not allowed to lead a prayer.

      Nonetheless,in recent times both men and women are given equal right,equal respect ,equal previlages,just to mention few.Consequently,one can not tell any special or best thing about being a man in this twenty-first century.

      Complain about this comment

    • 11. At 9:44pm on 19 Sep 2011, csepelside wrote:

      The best thing being a man is to admire beautiful women (potentially). If things go ok, it's also a good feeling being loved by women. The worst one: some women think that they are almost in all areas of life behind men, meanwhile it is not true.

      Complain about this comment

    • 12. At 10:01pm on 19 Sep 2011, Juan wrote:

      Comparing with women, men are more independent, for nature we are stronger and possible we can adapt easily to our environment. Since our evolution, we can located and identify in any place.

      Complain about this comment

    • 13. At 10:40pm on 19 Sep 2011, Cleversson wrote:

      I believe there are two things that a man likse a lot. One is to be independent, another one is to be free to choose the best way, not because women can't, but it's just more easier being a man.

      I appreciate being a man because I don't waste time choosing the best shoes or clothes. I wear a t-shirt, a jeans and a pair of shoes and go out.

      Complain about this comment

    • 14. At 10:41pm on 19 Sep 2011, Cleversson wrote:

      This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

    • 15. At 01:24am on 20 Sep 2011, DY Kim wrote:

      In these days, woman and man are equal. So being a man is not different being a woman. In our country, about twenty years ago being a man is to have responsibility for caring his family, to make a success in their job, and to have more kind and generous mind than woman. But these things are totally meaningless in these days because we already know that womans have same ability and characteristics as mans do.

      Complain about this comment

    • 16. At 01:51am on 20 Sep 2011, rubel wrote:

      Am man can lead the family in all times of difficulties, thus a man is good leader.

      Complain about this comment

    • 17. At 06:36am on 20 Sep 2011, duc wrote:

      The best thing to be a man is independence. Men seem to be more freedom to do the things they like than women. Even though today men and women are more equal than in the past. However, in my country there are many places the unfair ideas in the way people behave with women still exist.

      Complain about this comment

    • 18. At 07:27am on 20 Sep 2011, Vera_Kuzub wrote:

      I agree that man has more freedom and more independence. A lot of employers prefere to hire men than women. A man will not go on maternity leave.

      Complain about this comment

    • 19. At 08:05am on 20 Sep 2011, youngzt wrote:

      Superficially, it is seemed that money and female are the best thing for a man. Nonetheless, what a man really want to have is the recongize by others after success in doing something.

      Complain about this comment

    • 20. At 9:33pm on 20 Sep 2011, Cleversson wrote:

      I believe there are two things that a man likes a lot. One is to be independent, another one is to be free to choose the best way, not because women can't, but it's just more easier being a man.
      I appreciate being a man because I don't waste time choosing the best shoes or clothes. I wear a t-shirt, a jeans and a pair of shoes and go out.

      Complain about this comment

    • 21. At 02:46am on 21 Sep 2011, hidroquinona wrote:

      I think is admirable their capability to make true friends, however their wouldn´t Know the meaning to feel a baby inside their!

      Complain about this comment

    • 22. At 06:29am on 21 Sep 2011, jenny wrote:

      The best thing about being a man is they are normally much stronger than women.

      Complain about this comment

    • 23. At 09:28am on 21 Sep 2011, Svetlana wrote:

      Men can do everything they want.
      And women can just NOT DO something they dislike to do. That's difference.

      Complain about this comment

    • 24. At 10:50am on 21 Sep 2011, fumi wrote:

      Actually men feel supremacy anywhere.But they have responsibility to their work , their family....
      They cancel each other out. I don't want to be a man.

      Complain about this comment

    • 25. At 11:41am on 21 Sep 2011, Ali wrote:

      "In the UAE local Arab men will typically greet other local men by touching noses or kissing cheeks. And it is not uncommon for two Arabic men to hold hands or link arms and walk together in public."
      It's considered normal, in the Arab culture, between men to give each other two or even four kisses on cheeks when they meet as a kind of greeting. They also can hold one another hands when walking in the street. This kind of cultural behaviour has nothing to do with homosexuality, as it can come to mind in other cultures. What is not normal in Arab culture, for a man, is to kiss a woman on the cheeks, except in very close relations and when they meet after a long absence. Otherwise this behaviour can be understood as having sexual intentions.

      Complain about this comment

    • 26. At 11:54am on 21 Sep 2011, colacio wrote:

      The best thing about being a man is can help your wife when arrive in house, play with your sons and have the honor to be a base of your family. I speak this because if i didn't want do all this things I had married with my housekeeper!

      Complain about this comment

    • 27. At 2:44pm on 21 Sep 2011, Tonantzin wrote:

      I´m a woman and there are two things that i could envy a man. When I go out on camping or some other activity where no bathroom is available, it is difficult for me to go and pee!, and man easily can do it, anywhere, without any difficulty. The other thing that i in a way I could envy a man is that they can go out alone at any hour of the day and the risk of been attacked in some way, is less than it is to a woman.

      Complain about this comment

    • 28. At 5:52pm on 21 Sep 2011, ajka wrote:

      Am Said, from Somalia, that is my introduction to you, am happy to catch up with this blog.
      If I go down the my comments towards "What's the best thing about being a man?

      He is talent,does what woman couldnt do, can go out without fear anything in there, I mean in frost or jungle, he can talerant when someone reject his plan, and can be longer for waiting something to get it.

      thanks

      Complain about this comment

    • 29. At 02:25am on 22 Sep 2011, juliauchoa wrote:

      I think the best thing of being a man is stay away without wearing a T-shirt. This is allowed only for men! Ough!!!!

      Complain about this comment

    • 30. At 09:41am on 22 Sep 2011, Thein Lin Aung wrote:

      I think freedom is the best thing of being a man.

      Complain about this comment

    • 31. At 10:54am on 22 Sep 2011, FRANZ wrote:

      The best thing is to have a woman.

      Complain about this comment

    • 32. At 2:01pm on 22 Sep 2011, yoyii wrote:

      I think a really man must have a sense responsibility, be aspiring, compassionate and brave.

      Complain about this comment

    • 33. At 2:51pm on 22 Sep 2011, linhle wrote:

      I think being a man is wonderful just in case you are alone. When you get married, you carry a burden: being the main labor in your family . If your wife is unemployed, you have to raise her. It is normal, no complaints. However, people will criticize you as a loser if you stay at home as your wife earns money to support the family.

      Complain about this comment

    • 34. At 4:09pm on 22 Sep 2011, renee49 wrote:

      When I was a child, I would like to be a boy, because boys were allowed to be loud, wild and dirty, and they never had to help in the household. Men were better paid as women, they were independent and self-confident . But today I'm very content to be a women. I'm emancipated and as well-paid as a man, and now I can see that it is very strenuous to be a man. They always are obsessed to be successful, strong and predominant, they have difficulties to tell the truth, and they always need a thrill. Poor men!

      Complain about this comment

    • 35. At 5:15pm on 22 Sep 2011, Soler wrote:

      I think we are equal in our being. Just may be women need more forces to achieve something, but I think soon the ideal balance between the gender will be gained.

      Complain about this comment

    • 36. At 5:53pm on 22 Sep 2011, kangaroo wrote:

      The best thing about being a man is to love a woman. They are the most beautiful creature. I cannot imagine how ugly the world will be without them.

      Complain about this comment

    • 37. At 7:36pm on 22 Sep 2011, Lucimar wrote:

      I really think men have some advantages, for example:
      their physical strength, they are more independent,
      they have more freedom to go to anywhere they want,
      better salary than womem for the same job,
      they are skillfull to find parking space,
      And some disadvantages I think about them:
      they are unable to do many things at the same time like womem do and
      they have difficulty to tell about their diseases even for the doctors.

      Complain about this comment

    • 38. At 04:30am on 23 Sep 2011, Diego Victor wrote:

      I think that the best thing about being a man is to like women! Men are so ugly. Women are so beautiful, they are a wonderful and thin skin. I like women very much. The worst thing about being a man is the bad smell after a soccer game and the look so ugly. hahahaha :D

      Complain about this comment

    • 39. At 04:49am on 23 Sep 2011, Duc Phan wrote:

      Hard to define how to be a man! Being a real man or just a normal man?
      For being a normal man, he must fulfill his responsibilities such as being a good son, good father. And for a real man, he not only has these responsibilities but also has his own achievement in society.

      Complain about this comment

    • 40. At 1:21pm on 23 Sep 2011, candy wrote:

      I am a woman, while I think the best thing about being a man is that they don't need to focus too much on their appearance which saves them a lot of time, because if a women is not aware of the appearance or go out wearing whatever they want, she would be considered some kind of lazy. also, the man don't need to bear the pain of wearing high-heeled shoes.

      Complain about this comment

    • 41. At 4:20pm on 23 Sep 2011, salih wrote:

      I'm a men and I think that men should be aware that they are lucky for the possession of their own women who they love and they should thank God for that. Being a men isn't just about masculinity or power they have. Actually, men is emotinal as much as women but they don't want to show them, they think showing emotions they have seen as a weakness. Men have to show admiration and love toward their women and they shouldn't afraid to show their feeling especially toward their women. Men have to struggle with difficulties of life and they have to work for provide their families needs. Women want men to show love and care and men need to provide it.

      Complain about this comment

    • 42. At 10:43pm on 23 Sep 2011, Jose Daniel Gamez Rodriguez wrote:

      Hello

      the best of think about being man is I can were a simple dress like a t-shirt, pants and jacket, I can take a shower very fast. I like watch tv for long time specialy news and scientific chanels. When I used the toilet bowl I read the books that is so so so good. Cook any thing is a kind of activitie which is unlike for me I prefer wash the dishs.......I enjoy to keep the order in the house it´s relaxing......The more important thing is to love the women

      Regards

      Complain about this comment

    • 43. At 04:09am on 24 Sep 2011, rony wrote:

      I agree with Elkagirl. The best thing about being a man isn't feel cramps every month.
      The Worst thing is that men never knows how is to bear a child in his belly, obviously without pain.

      Complain about this comment

    • 44. At 8:11pm on 24 Sep 2011, lucas96 wrote:

      I think men have their own way of thinking. I imagine we are free to do some special things. Men and women can perform the same things, but each one has different ideas. So, these ideas complete the two sides. So, that's why I love being a man!

      Complain about this comment

    • 45. At 8:18pm on 24 Sep 2011, lucas96 wrote:

      This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

    • 46. At 8:19pm on 24 Sep 2011, lucas96 wrote:

      This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

    • 47. At 8:35pm on 24 Sep 2011, kwangwon wrote:

      Since i saw the dog in my home producing puppies my thought of being born as a woman has changed negatively. I think that this could be ridiculous to sone people who take the principle that delivering a baby is honorable.
      However, if i were a woman i wouldn't think i could endure the pain so as to give a birth to my baby. Um it's really hard to say. Anyway i admit to the idea
      that males are still given some supremacy in the workplace in terms of pay and promotions. There are several things to deal with, to make a society equal to men and women not only in the workplace but in the home.

      Complain about this comment

    • 48. At 8:41pm on 24 Sep 2011, salih wrote:

      The best thing being a men is that having possession of women and doing the duty which protection and showing love towards the women. The holy Quran advices people that the best of whom in human is the men who treat and care his wife best. So men always need to be protective and lovely towards their women. Men have to struggle with difficulties when they encounter and he always need to be strong enough to overcome the difficulties. Lots of the best thing exist for being a men and the same thing also exist for being a women. Both sexes has advantage and disadvantage but as I'm speaking a men, without women, being a men cannot carry any meaning the same thing exist for women. Both sexes completes each other as a perfect way. So when we analyze the best thing being a men, we compare the opposite sex to say that.

      Complain about this comment

    • 49. At 07:45am on 25 Sep 2011, alan308 wrote:

      A good thing about being a man is that men don't have to be pregnant. It's more difficult for women to achieve something in a life. They are pregnant for 9 months. Then they look aftew babies. So, a man has more freedom. But I admire women, they give life !!!

      Complain about this comment

    • 50. At 09:02am on 25 Sep 2011, cnboy wrote:

      Man are missing their prior position and majority policy are made under woman.So the best thing to be a man is to recapture the equall power .

      Complain about this comment

    • 51. At 09:10am on 25 Sep 2011, cnboy wrote:

      Man are losting their power gradually for majority policies made are comply to woman . So the best thing being a man is to regain the equal power like woman.

      Complain about this comment

    • 52. At 10:46am on 25 Sep 2011, moutaz wrote:

      to be a man , face the fact and fight for your love , your religion be honest without laying & cheating , do what you say.

      finally if you promise, you must be sure you can do it.

      Complain about this comment

    • 53. At 3:51pm on 25 Sep 2011, Nothing is forever wrote:

      i think that every body say trustly, but with me, the best thing about being the man that who can me happiness, and that person can share sadniess with me, i don't need he handsome, but i hope that he is a good man, he always try his best in his works, in his social capital, ...

      Complain about this comment

    • 54. At 11:39pm on 25 Sep 2011, Jamaluddin wrote:

      I think the best think about being a man is his strength and freedom in life. Women have not enough freedom everywhere and somtimes they can not do what ever they want.
      Women are not save everywhere because they are targeted for sexual assault by men and sometimes they are murdered for this reason.
      It is usual that men make more crimes than women and it is only depends on men are mentally cruel and physically strong.

      Complain about this comment

    • 55. At 04:19am on 26 Sep 2011, crystal wrote:

      I think that being a man has some benefits in a society and individually. Socially they find jobs easier than women and perform their work better because there aren't more limitations than women. Personally, also, men take less responsibilities for housework.
      First, most companies prefer choosing men as a employer except for special job. since women must give birth to baby and do housework as well as do their jobs, this can be restrictions to perform their jobs in company's position. Furthermore, men are promoted faster.
      second, in case of housework, women are in charge of it but men think that they are only helper that isn't compulsory.
      Finally, being a man seems to be advantageous. But I am a woman and I am satisfied with this. If I were born again, however, I would like to be female because just only women do everything but not men.

      Complain about this comment

    • 56. At 3:11pm on 26 Sep 2011, Marcol wrote:

      I'm a man. Men can be strong. Women have power being pregnant for nine months. If a men could be pregnant, oh my gosh, in the day of the birth, they would say: "I don't have the strength to carry on". God sabe the women!

      Complain about this comment

      View these comments in RSS



      Downloads

      Latest programmes