Last updated at 11:33 BST, Tuesday, 18 October 2011

Who's your best friend?

Every week we ask you a different question. Hear what people in London say, then join the conversation!

Who's your best friend?

Join the conversation. Who's your best friend? Use the form below to let us know.

The Express English team

A best friend is usually someone you can have a laugh with.

A best friend can be a man or woman. They might be funny, they're usually fun and always nice.

They're there when you need them, you can rely on them and trust them.

And most of all, a best friend is someone who puts up with you.

Did you know?

Fact

A survey by the State University of New York and Russia's Moscow State University for the Humanities shows that Americans consider friendship as a key part of romantic love, while Russians and Lithuanians rarely mention it.

Language tip

The idiom 'fair-weather friend' is an informal way of referring to someone who is your friend only when things are pleasant or going well for you.

Cultural tip

In Japan people bow when greeting each other. When greeting a close friend the bow is less pronounced and it might look like a brief nod of the head.

End of Section

Now tell us what you think

What makes a best friend?

Comments are now closed.

Comments

or register to comment.

    • 1. At 6:26pm on 05 Sep 2011, aeromecha wrote:

      When I was a child my best friend was understanding, nice and lovely, but one day without any explanations, she disappeared of my life... Maybe both of us were very uncareful with out friendship and distances every day were bigger.
      Nowadays I have several close friends but not a best friend in particular. I try to be nice and understanding with my friends and overall being there when they really need that... sometimes we only need that, someone who listens to and understands us.

      Complain about this comment

    • 2. At 6:33pm on 05 Sep 2011, Lian wrote:

      I think the best friend is somebody who you can count on her or him and your relationship is based on mutual trust. My best friends are my sisters and I can talk to them about everything and they are always ready to help me.

      Complain about this comment

    • 3. At 6:38pm on 05 Sep 2011, hangkieuki wrote:

      This question has wandered me for a long time since i have not had a closest friend yet,except my boyfriend.But actually,i've got my own answer of the question: what makes a best friend.There a saying that " friend in need is friend in deep".I think the attitude that be always ready to help each other in any case is the most precious thing of a friendship.Nomatter is this a trouble case or a happy case,good friends still will be together to share all of things...yes,that's enough for a permanent ralationship./

      Complain about this comment

    • 4. At 8:46pm on 05 Sep 2011, Mohsin-Albraki wrote:

      It's really hard to say .
      But from my experience , The best friend is the person who you meet and get along easily and always share the happy and sad moments. A person who u can trust and forgive for any mistakes .
      you can advise each other , as well as choosing the right way .
      Thanks for giving me this oppotunity to give my prespective .
      ^_^

      Complain about this comment

    • 5. At 9:57pm on 05 Sep 2011, Juan wrote:

      Best friend is someone who join with you in all times including bad ones. In those bad moments givo you support, maybe some advises and help you to grow and learn lessons. In good times share with you experiences and smiles.

      Complain about this comment

    • 6. At 9:58pm on 05 Sep 2011, ghazi wrote:

      When i was kid, i had more then one best-friend, but now i have no one because i have many friends so i can't choose witch one is the best everyone is special in his own way.
      Among them many of them see me as best-friend.
      So long.

      Complain about this comment

    • 7. At 01:02am on 06 Sep 2011, DY Kim wrote:

      I think, most of all, trust between friends make a best friend. And knowing, understanding and helping each other is important to make a best friend.

      Complain about this comment

    • 8. At 04:27am on 06 Sep 2011, pitz wrote:

      a good and continuous communication will make a best friend. then we'll know that he/she is our best friend when we fell warm and pleasant environtment sudden we meet him/her and we can share about anything without doubt.

      Complain about this comment

    • 9. At 04:29am on 06 Sep 2011, lvq52 wrote:

      In my opinion, if you find a best friend in your life, you are a happy person.
      A best friend is a friend who treat you well and has a similar thought or viewpoint to you. He is willing to share your joy and sorrow. Something you can’t tell anyone else except your best friend because you believe that he will sympathize with you. He gives his hands or good advice whenever you’re in trouble. Therefore, you have a balance feeling thanks to this fulcrum.
      I really have a some best friends. Every one could share with me for some aspect. I feel warm when I think of them.

      Complain about this comment

    • 10. At 07:26am on 06 Sep 2011, Angelina wrote:

      My best friend is my boyfriend. I spend a lot of time with him, I tell him about everything, I can trust him and rely on him.If I ask advice, he always gives it to me. He also explains me some facts or situations from his point of view. I think that the best friends should be very much alike.

      Complain about this comment

    • 11. At 07:33am on 06 Sep 2011, Vera_Kuzub wrote:

      The best friend is a person with whom you feel comfortable. You trust him. He is with you when you need support and help. And even you and he are away from each other he will not forget you. He always be with you. It is very difficult to find a real friend.

      Complain about this comment

    • 12. At 07:57am on 06 Sep 2011, Betty wrote:

      My best friend can stay with me quietly when I was sad. When I have a trouble she can help me to solve it.

      Complain about this comment

    • 13. At 09:14am on 06 Sep 2011, Remi wrote:

      Friends are people who I can exchange information with them and discuss them.

      Complain about this comment

    • 14. At 09:28am on 06 Sep 2011, jenny wrote:

      For me, a good friend is someone who can share almost everything with you. You don’t mind telling him those good as well as bad things. Though, sometimes you may be criticized, you can just believe that all comments made are on a good faith. It’s really happy to have such a friend around. On the other hand, you should put a lot of efforts to keep your friendship and make it grows. It will die if you don't take care of it.

      Complain about this comment

    • 15. At 09:50am on 06 Sep 2011, Miumiu wrote:

      Friendship to be the sort where we can talk about anything, and comfort eachother when we are upset and have fun. Supporting each other all the time and sharing lives.

      Besides, I think long distance isn't a problem!!

      Complain about this comment

    • 16. At 09:54am on 06 Sep 2011, jrmsegunda wrote:

      Mu best friend is myself. I have to spend 24h - 365 days with myself

      Complain about this comment

    • 17. At 10:21am on 06 Sep 2011, hunterwang99 wrote:

      I have a few best friend. After one month, one of my best friend will be married and he is the last one to be married among my friends.
      The friendship will be strong enough through the years only being based on the experience that friends overcame the difficulties in life together. The truly friends should help each other without any turn back.

      I am so lucky that I have a few truely best friends in my life.

      Complain about this comment

    • 18. At 12:09pm on 06 Sep 2011, moni_alex wrote:

      Once I had a friend .We were so close to each other only at the high school but when we went to the collage everything changed .We are no longer best friends.She became different and so am I.That broke my heart very badly.I got lost.So sad ,isn't it ?After that I made friends but there is no best friend they just friends.I've not been close to anyone any more.It's not a good thing cause it makes me lonely and sad.I think I lost my confidence cause of that bad experience.

      Complain about this comment

    • 19. At 12:19pm on 06 Sep 2011, Sandy wrote:

      A best friend who is the people you can share everything with them from lifestyle, education, films to your opinion about economy, polity, culture. But in this time, I just have the friends not the best friends because they almost have the wrong views and when they does not have enough arguments to debate, they often become the angry people.

      Complain about this comment

    • 20. At 12:39pm on 06 Sep 2011, Elkagirl wrote:

      Though I've a bunch of lovely friends but my real best friend is my inner feelings/thoughts. They are my great guidelines.

      Complain about this comment

    • 21. At 1:32pm on 06 Sep 2011, evelyne71 wrote:

      For me a best friend is a person who is always by your side and shares wathever happens with you.

      Complain about this comment

    • 22. At 2:50pm on 06 Sep 2011, thyagomend wrote:

      I think a best friend must be fist of all someone who appreciate stay together with, to talk , to help, to take care. One veracious friend don't come just in cheerful moments, he feel good as much when is having fun as when is just comforting.

      Complain about this comment

    • 23. At 3:27pm on 06 Sep 2011, crystal wrote:

      I think it is difficult to have a best friends all my life, the very best friend forever. I am always trying to have a close friend wherever I am but that friend is different as where I am, where I live, or where I am working. So the way to make a best friend is paying continuous attention to each other and keeping in contact with them. To be a best friend, both should share their life whether they are in a good condition or not. Now people are very busy in doing their things, therefore it is not easy to do what I mentioned above. Having only one best friend in my llife may be considered to be successful life because I am feeling the importance of best friend that is likely to exist for me, as time passes.

      Complain about this comment

    • 24. At 3:45pm on 06 Sep 2011, bajeeda1 wrote:

      A friends are beautifull gift of God we should respect them.my best friend is my wife.i share everything with her.because without her support i cannot move forward in life.she respect my views and i respect her views.when ever we have difference on any matter i try to sort it well

      Complain about this comment

    • 25. At 4:08pm on 06 Sep 2011, Alice wrote:

      As for me, if you have nice and funny friend it doesn't mean he's your best friend or even good! You shoud feel "his soul"...

      Complain about this comment

    • 26. At 4:47pm on 06 Sep 2011, Soler wrote:

      My best friend is my childhood friend. She is very alike me, we are the mirror of each other. Our friendship is pure and I feel this every time when we meet. In general I am very friendly and have quite good friendship relation with other peoples too. I would like to have as best friend my future husband.

      Complain about this comment

    • 27. At 5:01pm on 06 Sep 2011, Tenzin wrote:

      My best friend would be someone who is relatively more similar to my character, personality, habits, taste and preferences. Having these similarities, either she or he and I always go together, eat together, share each other, undertake the cat race through thick and thin.

      Complain about this comment

    • 28. At 5:04pm on 06 Sep 2011, Sarwaich wrote:

      I Dont have any best friend.............

      Complain about this comment

    • 29. At 5:41pm on 06 Sep 2011, sumoff wrote:

      I think a bestfriend must to be my confident. A person who can ear me and understand me. It's very important during life. Moreover i think that my bestfrient will be with me even during bad days.

      Complain about this comment

    • 30. At 8:17pm on 06 Sep 2011, Kazimir wrote:

      During my life I had only two true friends but they never considered that I was their friend. So it seems to me that I never had a best friend at all. Two years ago a girl has been considered that I was her best friend but I was fell in love with her and I had to end our relationship because that was too painful to me to be her friend just a friend. Frankly speaking I think that friendship between a man and a woman is impossible. Now there is a guy who I’m trying to be a friend for but he is too reserved.

      Complain about this comment

    • 31. At 8:27pm on 06 Sep 2011, paatri wrote:

      A best friend is someone who is with you always.He is going to be there at/in(?) the happy and sad times.He is going to make mistakes and you too, but both forgive each other.You know you can trust him and share everything you want.

      Complain about this comment

    • 32. At 10:09pm on 06 Sep 2011, Maraic wrote:

      When I was in school, I had many good friends. But when we finished studying, everyone of us has worked somewhere. So we almost lost the contact.
      At work, I knew many people, but actually no one of them is my close friend.

      Complain about this comment

    • 33. At 01:34am on 07 Sep 2011, evilus wrote:

      According to me, friiendship can be discused into many angles and many perspectives as well, for instance friend who is willing to support his friend in his life especially in times of stress is a typical friend modal. Moreover if we refer to the famous saying that says " friendship is a treasure " we'll find out that it's a gift from God.

      Complain about this comment

    • 34. At 04:48am on 07 Sep 2011, Grace wrote:

      My best friend is my boyfriend Brian.we went to the same college and we've been dating for 5 years.He's always considerate every things of me.When i'm in a bad mood,he's always be there for me,sharing my happiness and sadness to each other.Most of all, we have the same goal to work on together,we are in the same occupation,i can share every things about my work to him,although we do have some arguments some times,he can always puts up with me,after a peaful conversation for sure.

      Complain about this comment

    • 35. At 10:25am on 07 Sep 2011, Haiou wrote:

      You can talk everything with best friend, do everything for best friend except bad thing.etc.

      We are not need a lot of best friend. A lot of best friend is not really best friend.

      Complain about this comment

    • 36. At 10:57am on 07 Sep 2011, duc wrote:

      IN my opinion, a best friend is some one you can laugh with when you are happy and he/she is the one who is around you when sad things happen to you. There is a idiom in English that is "A friend indeed is a friend in need"

      Complain about this comment

    • 37. At 12:07pm on 07 Sep 2011, Virag75 wrote:

      My best friend is Kati. We agree in every kind of question including even political issues. It's very important for me. I can be myself, wild, honest, liberal, dreamer, childish, crazy ... and I know she will never judge me negatively. I think friendship is one of the most important thing in life. But it's difficult to find a true friend.

      Complain about this comment

    • 38. At 1:13pm on 07 Sep 2011, djodjo wrote:

      I think that the best friend is the friend who feels for you.who solve you when you are in trouble.who advises you when you make mistakes.who askes about you always and for ever.
      for me i have many best friends not only one or two and from the east to west and from the north to the south of my country however ,some friends, i had not seen them for years .we contact us with the internet or the phone.
      to get a best friend is not something easy .you must do many things to get this kind of relationship and to keep it forever.

      Complain about this comment

    • 39. At 1:54pm on 07 Sep 2011, vatche wrote:

      A good friend is someone who is not a fair-weather friend and stands by you when you need his help and support.
      Someone you feel confortable with and can share all the good and bad things that has happend to you with.

      Complain about this comment

    • 40. At 3:11pm on 07 Sep 2011, aidas70 wrote:

      Hello everybody.My name is Aidas.I think to have a good reliable friend it's isn't easy task to fulfill in everybody's life.The worst thing is when your reckoned the best friend disappoints you or even betrays and leaves your heart in tatters for a very long time and then aftewords you start picking your friends and looking at people very carefully. My best friend is my wife I think.We have been together for fourteen years and luckily I have never been disappointed by her , never.We are always together, we share good and bad , we 've got no childrens but we are happy and we can rely on each other just on each other and on nobody else!Sometimes I think to my self what would i do ?How would i live if I lost her?This thought just crosses my mind .We are so lonely in this world ful of cruelties, jealousies, hatred...It's so fearfull to live alone. I even do not know if I make it?
      About that survey : I am Lithuanian and if to be honest have never had real friend or living in Lithuania neither now living in England but I wouldn't say i do not need one cause : not really about everything you can discuss with your wife ;there are some masculine related problems I call them women tabu and then you miss reall men's company ,but this is already another subject for conversation.
      Thank you and bye.

      Complain about this comment

    • 41. At 4:29pm on 07 Sep 2011, hinah wrote:

      The best friend to me is somebody who tries to truly understand and believe me. These days when I think this word “friend “there are two people in my mind. The first person is my husband. He always gives me good advices and cheer up my sprit. I always talk with him when I should make an important decision on my work and life. Whether that direction from him can be made good result or not, what we are exchanging our opinions about some issue is always be a wonderful time. The other best friend is my design partner. Sometimes she passes me sharp and painful opinions. She helps me I can keep a objective view about some circumstances.

      Complain about this comment

    • 42. At 4:49pm on 07 Sep 2011, Astorga wrote:

      In my point of view, to say that someone is your best friend both have to meet, trust and get on well each other!

      Complain about this comment

    • 43. At 5:07pm on 07 Sep 2011, Nothing is forever wrote:

      This is my question in a long times. Because I don't know who is my best friend.
      When I studied at the high school, i have a girlfriend and i think it's my best friend. But I have a bit mistake. and when I go to the College, we didn't have closely friendship. And I have boyfriend, he love me. He alway worry for me. He put up with me althought I angry with him. Sometime we don't meet together. And anytime I have a problem in my life, my studies, my work, and he's there to encourage me, to help me over the difficult. So i think, he is my best friend. And I love him.

      Complain about this comment

    • 44. At 9:08pm on 07 Sep 2011, Paulo wrote:

      Before, I had a Best friend, but I found out that this is too hard...because friends are people and have different desires....so it's important to have a friend who is best...if u don't have one make one....
      Bye

      Complain about this comment

    • 45. At 00:16am on 08 Sep 2011, binguo wrote:

      i am still remember my best time in my life, and there is a best friend during my childhood age since i was around 6.probably she is my first girlfriend, we used to paly toghter and finish homework together. especailly she used to play the game " seeking and hiding " with me alot.few years later, i had no idea why we were apart away. i only heard of someone said i liked others girls. you know at that time we even do not know what love is.however she is older than me 1 age. in order to grad a chance to see her i had to drop off the garbage where i can pass by her hourse.but i was still ingored untill she moved away to new place where she never told me. i heard my mom said she come over to look for me but i was not there. so untill now, we never ever talk and contact forever,i am regret that i was about to talk to her and asked to her. but i did not.i will regret for this staff forever in my life because of losting her

      Complain about this comment

    • 46. At 00:27am on 08 Sep 2011, Botafogocampeao wrote:

      In my life, I consider as a friend a person with whom you can trust without fear of betrail. A best friend is that friend that advise you about the false friends, i.e.those friends that betrail or tell gossips against you).

      Complain about this comment

    • 47. At 01:43am on 08 Sep 2011, dinhhuong wrote:

      In my opinion,a best friend is someone that make me comfortable,and I can share her anything at anytime.maybe,it is the trouble or happyness....we play together in our freetime.

      Complain about this comment

    • 48. At 02:49am on 08 Sep 2011, Seungkwon an wrote:

      I think that good friend is the person who stay next me. whenever i'm depressed and stay in bad mood. and also person who solve my trouble when i make it. and then person who can share my happiness and sadness with me. there forere, i think it's very important between me and friends . also most of all, to be honest we have to spare truly our feelings . even though somebody makes to mistake, the best friend can to forgive and taking care of someone. that's why i thnk best friend is importat in our life like a familly. thanks for reading my oppinion.

      Complain about this comment

    • 49. At 06:11am on 08 Sep 2011, nhodinh wrote:

      Complain about this comment

    • 50. At 06:20am on 08 Sep 2011, nhodinh wrote:

      In my point of view, it takes a very long time to consider someone as your best friend. Cuz time will tell you his or her colour fairly. Now, I have 3 close friends and lots of normal friends but I can't know who my best friend is. So I always try to maintain these friendships,also make them better and better everyday. I believe that a true friendship will last forever no matter what happens!

      Complain about this comment

    • 51. At 08:25am on 08 Sep 2011, salih wrote:

      For now, my best friend are books. I have some friends to share something but I cannot give enough satisfaction by them compared the books. Each books give different feeling to people. Choosing books are much easier than choosing friends. In the future, I might will have a best friend person on the behalf of the books. I hope that it would be a wife.

      Complain about this comment

    • 52. At 10:20am on 08 Sep 2011, asparagus wrote:

      in my mind.I think a best friend is that when you are in danger of situation he or she will help you to leave.

      Complain about this comment

    • 53. At 10:59am on 08 Sep 2011, t_tv205 wrote:

      I think a best friend is a people can hear you and share with you everything in life. Who is always by your side when you have troubles and call you when he has the same situations. I'm very happy that i have some best friends whos always walk with me in my life.

      Complain about this comment

    • 54. At 4:13pm on 08 Sep 2011, Lenaton wrote:

      In my opinion it's easy to get new friends in difficult situations of your life, when you need someones help. I had many friends at school, at university. Now I have no problems with my job. Maybe because of it I haven't close friends there.

      Complain about this comment

    • 55. At 4:30pm on 08 Sep 2011, MAX_G wrote:

      I didn't ever have one. Although I knew some friends over 10 years ago, we never have a deep talk about anything ourselves. I tried to share my thought and secrets with some good friends but they never care about what I say and I got nothing from them. I always make them comfortable in any gathering but they never do the same thing to me. It's really hurt. However, I will never give up to find the one who we can understand each other. Wish I could find my best friend(s) in the nearly futher!

      Complain about this comment

    • 56. At 4:42pm on 08 Sep 2011, Jamaluddin wrote:

      I had a best friend when I was child. We had always fun together and laughed together.
      Unfortunately when we separated from each other, our lives' directions changed and I continued goingt to school but he quit school and started working. After long time once we met eachother but he was so strange and he seemed like we had never been friends, it was disappointing for me because we were so close to eachother.
      A good friend means allot to me , I always try to be a good friend but that is not what other people seem to do with me .I have been betrayed many times by my friends and now I have friends but they always try to face me .

      Complain about this comment

    • 57. At 9:28pm on 08 Sep 2011, Jose Daniel Gamez Rodriguez wrote:

      Hello

      My best friend is a speciall man. He always listent to me, he is patien, isnot upset. He name is Jesus who answer my nigth calleds. I to ask him about many things, important matter for me and he answer all. I love Jesus!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when I´m worried he gives me advaiser plenty of wisdom.

      I knew Jesus long time ago when I was 16 years old, nowday I 41, we never have separated

      Complain about this comment

    • 58. At 03:23am on 09 Sep 2011, MAX_G wrote:

      What is best friend? Best friend should be a guy who you always laugh with, talk with, stay with and weep with. It is a true friendship without benefit. That friendship cannot be bough by money. No family background, educational background, age and appearance are involved there.

      Complain about this comment

    • 59. At 05:39am on 09 Sep 2011, hoangthi wrote:

      In my opinion, "a good friend" is someone who can listen all your problem and give you a good advice (say what they think, but don't have to force you to do anything what you don't want). And "a good friend" is someone who can keep your secret.

      Complain about this comment

    • 60. At 1:20pm on 09 Sep 2011, aumaima wrote:

      In my opinion, my best friend is someone who can share best times with him/her and give me time when i needto talk to him/her.
      I beleive that isn't easy to find a good find and we need time to create this relationship.

      Complain about this comment

    • 61. At 4:41pm on 09 Sep 2011, blossomday wrote:

      The word 'Best Friend' makes me think a long time..Eventhough I sometimes think whether I have a best friend, it seems that i don't have a truly reliable friend. so whenever i knew this fact i feel the futility of life thinking what i have done until twenties.
      Surely i have some good and close friends, but i can't choose one of them because they are all nice. :) I also agree with some people's comments that a friend who was with me in a hard and difficult times is the best friend to me. Probably one of my friends can see me as a best friend, but i just don't know..
      This time of 'Express English' is special to me that can give me some ideas about a word 'Best Friend'

      Complain about this comment

    • 62. At 4:43pm on 09 Sep 2011, eppkim0907 wrote:

      I have a few friends and I want to have more more friends. and I want that they are all nice and smart

      Complain about this comment

    • 63. At 7:22pm on 09 Sep 2011, Tonua wrote:

      I know my best friend about 13 years. We went to music school together. And now we have busy and enjoy together. Also I like travel with her. We went to the Ukraine and had very funny time there. I like her because she is nice, she has a fingers in a many pies and she know what she want.

      Complain about this comment

    • 64. At 09:25am on 10 Sep 2011, luunguyenco wrote:

      The best friend is who can listen and share us both wonderful and bad time we face in our lifetime.

      Complain about this comment

    • 65. At 10:21am on 10 Sep 2011, pierrick428 wrote:

      A best friend is someone who is trustworthy. Someone is your best friend when you have no hesitation to telling him something because you are sure he will understand it. Even if you are telling him that you do something wrong, he will give you good advice.

      Complain about this comment

    • 66. At 12:51pm on 10 Sep 2011, Mai wrote:

      when I was young, I always had a problem of making friendships maybe because of my personality , I was a little bit introvert and shy and not too much talkative so I was always having a feeling of lonely.I was keeping my secrets deep inside myself whether they were good or bad . when I was a teenager, my personality slightly changed , I was having some friends that I was wasting my time with , but all of them leave now and I dunno any news about them. Now when I become adult,I realized that it's not important to have so many friends as long as u have the best and real one . that one who u can trust and tell him ur secrets and feel relieved after that. that one who advises u with the best for u when he feels that u're falling. that one who u can cry loudly in front of him , and he'll never think that u 're weak but he'll always tell u the words that give u the strength to continue . that one who knows what u feel from ur face without asking and he'll be beside u in ur ups and downs. I wish if I could find that real friend who will never leave me no matter what, but I guess that they're so rare and I'm afraid of dying without finding him :'(

      Complain about this comment

    • 67. At 3:02pm on 10 Sep 2011, mope1988 wrote:

      I cannot say that I only have a best friend, it could be better to say that I have three or four best friends. All it depends on the situation where you are...In the school I had two best friends because we got on well, we studied together, we talked about boys, we felt very well together... and now on the University I have friends which I can talk about a lot of things about our degree or talk about our life: our expectations and our fears. The major part of my old best friends now still being my best friends. And I would add my boyfriend too, because he always listen to everything that I tell him and he always explain me all the things that make him worry, we trust to each other.

      Complain about this comment

    • 68. At 6:09pm on 10 Sep 2011, castleontheriver wrote:

      Beyond my personal history related to the friendship, I believe that a good friend is first of all the person to whom you can count those sad things that to nobody more you would count, reason why, the good friendly are rare in the world and not often in the life we found them.

      Complain about this comment

    • 69. At 7:12pm on 10 Sep 2011, FUSEINI wrote:

      To my understanding, a best friend is one who will be there for you even when the whole world turn its back against you.
      Some qualities that make a good or best ally are honesty,affectionate,sincerity, and supportive
      My best friend is Isaac Ansah- a God fearing christian and born and raised in a missionary house. He is some sort of person who can sit with you for hour in the living room with saying a word to each other, yet he will go out and tell the whole world that you had a breathtaking conversation. Dislikes are pretty few in his book.

      Complain about this comment

    • 70. At 10:09pm on 11 Sep 2011, praveen wrote:

      A best friend is one, with whom you can behave however you want and is there when you need. I have one best friend, he is suresh. he always tries to be happy. He understands me nicely.
      he makes lot of fun. He supports me when i am in hard situations.

      Complain about this comment

    • 71. At 1:51pm on 12 Sep 2011, valent777 wrote:

      The best friend is someone who always accepts you on "as it is" basis and gives you granted the greatest degree of credence in a seemingly shady situation when others just mock or grin and eventually turn away from you.

      Complain about this comment

    • 72. At 1:53pm on 12 Sep 2011, Noah wrote:

      My best friend is my father. When I was young I got along quite well. The relationship with my father is still good today.
      I could always talk about my problems with him and he gave me advice when I have no alternative or no other way. I have also friends but as I say my best friend is my father.

      Complain about this comment

    • 73. At 07:17am on 13 Sep 2011, cherif88 wrote:

      A relationship ...
      Doesn’t shine by shaking hands in the best times.
      It blossoms by holding hands in the critical times.
      I wish friends are like currency bills so that you can hold them up against light to know which ones are real and which ones are fake.

      Complain about this comment

    • 74. At 2:41pm on 13 Sep 2011, cloudiness wrote:

      I think a best friend can understand what you say and what you think and sometimes you don't have to say much and he/she can understand your feelings, and vice versa.

      Complain about this comment

    • 75. At 08:08am on 15 Sep 2011, U14980947 wrote:

      Hello everybody

      writing about friendship is a fantastic topic and encouraged me to share with you in writing a little bit about it.

      Fiend is a powerful factor that affect us and playing a big role in changing our mind about our thinking or way of life.

      There are some rules that we have to follow them to keep our friendship save. First, the truthful is a basic that lets our friendship be continuous. Second, the importance of loyalty is as much as truthful.

      Complain about this comment

    • 76. At 1:49pm on 15 Sep 2011, kadiza wrote:

      in my point of view a good friend is someone who advice me in any situation, someone who is always there when i need him, someone who inspiring me, someone very funny, and who considers me more than her friend as her sister. someone i have confidence.

      Complain about this comment

    • 77. At 12:55pm on 16 Sep 2011, altan wrote:

      i think you cant understand whether he or she is best friend. he is just there at the time he should be and when something happens to you, you just call him and dont think that he is your best friend and i should call him.

      Complain about this comment

    • 78. At 2:09pm on 17 Sep 2011, Tcme wrote:

      I've got 2 friends,we've been friends since our childhood,and we still communicate.I wouldn't use the word "best" cause every person who's close to u is supposed to be the best one.That's why my friends are both best.I'd thank them for being faithful to me))

      Complain about this comment

    • 79. At 7:52pm on 17 Sep 2011, mamoun wrote:

      I think he's the person that must be found when you want to express about your feeling against some thing , his opinion is very important , and I think itis a good gift from our Good to have a good friend , in Arab they said the good friend like Goold he is very expensive and hard to find...

      Complain about this comment

    • 80. At 7:54pm on 17 Sep 2011, nk25 wrote:

      According to me, a best friend is the one
      who can bring smiles on your face when you are in trouble,
      whom you can share anything about you,
      who cares about you most than anyone else,
      who become sad when you are sad and who is more happy in your happiness.

      Unfortunately I haven't had such a friend and I think Its very hard to find such a friend in this self-centered human society.

      Complain about this comment

    • 81. At 2:20pm on 18 Sep 2011, Khadeer wrote:

      Trust and those who can understand your problem

      Complain about this comment

    • 82. At 5:32pm on 18 Sep 2011, wigramhouse wrote:

      I think that trust makes a best friend. It is essential to be a reliable person to make a best friend. For example, you must not tell a lie and must not disclose your friend's secret to others, otherwise you will lose your trust. Therefore, it is important to be honest and to keep your friend's secret.

      Complain about this comment

    • 83. At 11:35pm on 18 Sep 2011, Shota Suzuki wrote:

      I think best friend is the one who don't lie each other. If she or he is not the best friend, I sometimes tell a lie not to hurt her or his feeling. But I will not tell a lie to the best friend, even if the true things hurt the friend's feeling.

      Complain about this comment

    • 84. At 5:53pm on 19 Sep 2011, tahira wrote:

      I don t have "one best friend" I just have many friends at the time and specially I enjoy my time with them while we are together..sure I know some friends since I was born but we just used to play together but over the years people develop diffrent ways of life so that you can t be a best friend with them....another important point is that my familiy members are my best friends like my sisters or my parents because these are the people who know me very well compared to best friends who you just know for some years...

      Complain about this comment

    • 85. At 8:15pm on 20 Sep 2011, Yingky wingky wrote:

      My best friend 's everything . When i had bad emotion ,they be made me feel nice and laugh . One word that i usually hear from them " It will be O.K . Don't worry about its and Let's party ." Although, it 's very normal ,but that made me relax .

      Complain about this comment

    • 86. At 09:12am on 21 Sep 2011, vinoth india wrote:

      hi,

      My best friend is my self . cause everyone have the wrong thinking about the other people , in my knowledge dont search the good frienship in ur surronding, dont belive any one . life is yours , so BE A FRI

      Complain about this comment

    • 87. At 3:11pm on 21 Sep 2011, Tonantzin wrote:

      I have some very good friends, with which I have good moments and I can chat and pass a good time, but I have a special friend, maybe she is my best friend, and I didn´t realize until this weekend. We have 15 years of friendship, and I think she is my best friend because I see her like my family. Now we don´t live in the same country, but despite that, we continue in touch and when we see each other, like in the past weekend, it´s seems that time didn´t pass between us, that´s a great feeling, all the confidence we have in each other. I feel very happy and relaxed when I share moments with her, and that´s a very valuable thing for me in this days.

      Complain about this comment

    • 88. At 4:42pm on 21 Sep 2011, gong GG wrote:

      My best friend is the person who encourage me when i am suffer from frustration

      Complain about this comment

    • 89. At 3:56pm on 22 Sep 2011, Anete wrote:

      my best friend is my mother, because she is extraordinary. She is always there for me.

      Complain about this comment

    • 90. At 08:41am on 24 Sep 2011, Mary wrote:

      my best friend is the person that I trust, I share all my secrets freely, the first one to run when I have a trouble or when I have a joyful matter.
      my best friend is the person who never say any thing related to me to anther person.
      i have 3 best friends , each one of them is distinguished in other things than the other 2 , I love them all and I trust them and I respect them

      Complain about this comment

    • 91. At 6:07pm on 24 Sep 2011, rony wrote:

      I think complicated to define a Best Friend. During the life we have a lot of Best friends each one in his specific time. Nowadays the way of life leads us to meet new people and sometimes we make new relationship and new friends.
      Today I would say that my best friend are my mom and my fiancee, but today because tomorrow my fiancee can be no more my fiancee.

      Complain about this comment

    • 92. At 9:38pm on 24 Sep 2011, U14980947 wrote:

      The Holly Quran is the best friend to me. When I recite it I feel comfortable and relaxed. It's put me in a good spirit!. My best friend also is when I call Allah to help me. I always feel that Allah answers my prayer.
      From human, the best friend to me is someone who don't lie on me, nice, loyal, and generous. Someone whom I can count on him when I need it. When something unhappy suddenly happens to me he stands beside me and help me in every way.

      Complain about this comment

    • 93. At 04:25am on 25 Sep 2011, ruby wrote:

      Hello all, "what makes a best friend?" is really my own question since i was a teenager as i have lots of friends but closed-friend (or best friend).
      In my opinion, a best friend is whom i feel free, comfortable to be with, i can trust on and i can tell everything without scaring of being laugh or exposing.
      If a person with characteristic above makes a best friend to me. I wish i could meet him/her early.

      Complain about this comment

    • 94. At 12:39pm on 25 Sep 2011, Subin wrote:

      This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

    • 95. At 3:07pm on 25 Sep 2011, Light Of Softness wrote:

      i personally believe that a best friend is someone that willing to be with you because of you. not being fair weather, he/she should be there for you rain or shine.

      Complain about this comment

    • 96. At 10:45am on 26 Sep 2011, sara wrote:

      Hi.for me, I think that there is no real friendship nowdays nor good and trustful friends.....Everyone is looking for his own sake disregarding the feelings of his or her friend. I have colleges, classmates...etc but not close friends. My close friends are: my mother and my sisters whom I keep no secret.

      Complain about this comment

      View these comments in RSS



      Downloads

      Latest programmes

      1. Home
      2. General & Business English
      3. Express English
      4. Who's your best friend?