Last updated at 12:24 BST, Thursday, 11 August 2011

Worry

Every week we ask you a different question. Hear what people in London say, then join the conversation!

What makes you worry and why?

Join the conversation. What makes you worry and why? Use the form below to let us know.

The Express English team

Students discussed being worried about trying to find jobs when they finish university.

They think they will have to be really special to get a job – really outstanding.

Another man said he is a natural worrier – he worries even about irrational things, small things that don’t really matter.

Did you know?

Fact

Almost 60% of parents in a UK survey in 2009 said that they were worried that their children were spending too much time playing computer games and watching television.

Language tip

"Fingers crossed!" That's what British people say when they need some extra luck!

Cultural tip

Worry beads - or komboloi - are Greek in origin and resemble prayer beads, but have no religious significance. People move the beads around with their fingers to relieve stress and pass the time.

End of Section

Now tell us what you think

What makes you worry and why?

Comments are now closed.

Comments

• 1. At 3:26pm on 11 Aug 2011, Elkagirl wrote:

I’m worried about getting alone in my old days. For I don’t think that I will get married. I know being single is not the end of the world. But then again, I love having a happy family or not at all.

• 2. At 3:43pm on 11 Aug 2011, Younghan Sim wrote:

I took an exam at the begining of last month that could be an certified customs broker in South Korea if I'd pass that exam.
      The result is coming on 17th Semtember.
      I spent two years for getting a license of being the expert in customs in My country. I have been trying to wait the result without worring if I can pass it or not since I took that exam.
      So, at the moment, honestly,the exam result is not only worry but also hope.

• 3. At 3:58pm on 11 Aug 2011, Bernd Chen wrote:

I'm absolutely a worrier when I'm out of confidence. Especially you're trying to get a job for a long time, but what you've gotten are only rejection letters. There's sometimes a doubt comes up my mind, "Am I good enough ?! or I'm just having a wishful thinking of myself ?!"

• 4. At 4:22pm on 11 Aug 2011, herve wrote:

I can describe myself as a worrier because my english language is very poor

• 5. At 4:25pm on 11 Aug 2011, herve wrote:

Saying that it's my maner to speak and write tha makes me worry

• 6. At 5:02pm on 11 Aug 2011, Cesar wrote:

I think my bigest worry at the moment is losing my job, because I have to finish my house that I'm building.

• 7. At 5:09pm on 11 Aug 2011, RMSz wrote:

I'm worried about facing not too distant future, I mean something new in my life. I.e. looking for a good job after graduation, and so on.

• 8. At 6:02pm on 11 Aug 2011, sdgphan wrote:

I think what makes me worry is myself. Sometimes i think that i change my mind day by day. it just i can believe myself so i doubt everything that i was my bebief before. that is terrible and i try to pass it.

• 9. At 8:26pm on 11 Aug 2011, Vera_Kuzub wrote:

I worry about my family when someone ill. Also I worry about my employment prospects. I try don't worry too much. If you worry too much you will have problems with your health. Our lives is so small we should spend this time for another things. Don't worry be happy.

• 10. At 8:55pm on 11 Aug 2011, Cristiane de Souza da Silva wrote:

I am worry about the violence. The most of the time I go out afraid about what can happen with me. I am afraid about robbery, kidnapping, no tolerance from people.

• 11. At 02:21am on 12 Aug 2011, deeeet wrote:

The things worry me is getting job in this year. there are more competitions and we have to have special skills that others dont have ... I think most of students have this worry ... Now, situation in the world economics is very serious. Finger Crossed !

• 12. At 05:40am on 12 Aug 2011, noelgmr1 wrote:

One of my biggest concerns is the future of my children. I worry about not being able to offer them economic support for their college eduation. Also,I worry about the negative messages that nowadays some music, tv shows and movies transmit to children.

• 13. At 06:58am on 12 Aug 2011, salih wrote:

Finding a job after the university is a very common worrying situation for everyone. Regarding me, I did not worry about that after the university and made a big mistake about choosing a job. I chose a wrong job which does not related my profession. Now, I suffer the pain arised from this consequence. Each day, I'm worried about finding a proper job and also I'm worried about finding a partner who I want to get married. These two things have always busy my brain nowadays. Sometimes I'm worried about not to find a job or partner in the future.

• 14. At 08:19am on 12 Aug 2011, love you 12 wrote:

I am worry now. I am lazy and have no goals. I am scared about fìnd jobs in the future. I know my ability to find a good job is impossible.I don't know what I do now.But I know I have to pass this time .I want to take care my mom and take her to Thailand ,she dreams to go there.

• 15. At 11:15am on 12 Aug 2011, Anas wrote:

• 16. At 11:20am on 12 Aug 2011, Anas wrote:

I am worried about my career. I am pursuing my masters and aspire to become a lecturer. I need good marks to be eligible for appearing in the lecturer-ship qualifying exam. This is my biggest worry at the moment. Though I don't consider myself as a worrier who worries over petty things but yeah, until I become a lecturer I am a worrier.

• 17. At 11:35am on 12 Aug 2011, FRANZ wrote:

I am very worried about religious fanaticism in Brazil and would not want to see these people take power. Another thing that worries me is the corruption that has become an epidemic in BRASIL. Education is getting worse in Brazil. Children do not do more tests and spend years studying and not worry so much the population.

• 18. At 11:38am on 12 Aug 2011, ALFONSO wrote:

Well...I used to be pretty optimistic in my life,but sometimes I have worries about my daughters,about his work,his sucess in life.....about my country and his level of violence.But that´s normal...I guess.

• 19. At 12:02pm on 12 Aug 2011, jenny wrote:

My biggest worry is the outlook of the course i attend this year.Since i really wanna be a undergraduate and hope not to let my parents down.I dread my dream and effort going
      for nought.Frankly speaking, i am not a natural worrier.Thus, i strongly believe no matter
      how my life goes on,i will be a tougher guy.Yoyoyooyo....^^

• 20. At 12:29pm on 12 Aug 2011, cloudymood wrote:

I do have good skills. But I still worry about how to use them effectively in the right situation. Some times I got an aphasia when it's time to speak in English or French even if I know about what am gonna talking about. Words just go away!
      But, I am not hopeless, I have to find a solution one day..

• 21. At 12:35pm on 12 Aug 2011, Po-Ming Lin wrote:

I'm really worried about my dissertation in the UK. After the graduation, I'll still need to get a employment to repay the loan this year. Absolutely, I'm a worrier.

• 22. At 1:21pm on 12 Aug 2011, Edward wrote:

I believe that all people have their own worries but just only in different situations. To me, my worry is I am worry when I can just look for a suitable job and starting to build up my own career! Anyhow, all the best to all people who have dropped a message in this session and as well as for those who are very keen to learn English like me!

• 23. At 4:32pm on 12 Aug 2011, Victor Tolentino wrote:

What really worries me about my future is that there' a lot of people out there telling me it's too difficult to go abroad and live and study in another country. In fact, I don't mind what they say. Since I made a choice in my life, no one is gonna change my mind whatever they say.

• 24. At 5:37pm on 12 Aug 2011, Soler wrote:

This comment has been referred for further consideration. Explain

• 25. At 6:22pm on 12 Aug 2011, happyjelena wrote:

My mum died last year and I am worry if I ever get better or if I ever find a peace in my heart . When someone close dies everything changes. I wish to myself to stop worry about future and just believe in myself and in life.

• 26. At 7:02pm on 12 Aug 2011, Khalid Abuaglla wrote:

iam not worrier at all ,but there is somethings happened in my live that make me worry now,the thing that i bring my brother to seek job in UAE and that cost me more and when he find ajob and make interview to be accepted in the company, unfortuanately his application rejected at the nick of time. from that time i became worrier

• 27. At 9:27pm on 12 Aug 2011, Juan wrote:

I worry about investments I've done in the finantial markets, because I've lost amount money of my savings

• 28. At 10:10pm on 12 Aug 2011, italop wrote:

Nowdays, I am worry because I have been looking for a job but I haven't had found yet. The time pass and I try don't worry, but it is difficult. My fieldwork is in Marketing, I believe this is possible to look for. Also, the unemployment rate in my country (Colombia) is hight but there are things positives, like the economy is improving. I hope find a good job, I am positive!

• 29. At 10:19pm on 12 Aug 2011, canberk wrote:

I'm living in Turkish. Finding a job after graduated university is very hard in there. Many people work themself unlike jobs. I'm worried it. I'm 20. I'm university student. my department is mechanical engineering. but I again say.. I'm worried abaout my next years...

• 30. At 01:21am on 13 Aug 2011, AARON_AA wrote:

I‘m a graduate.Maybe find a job is not that difficult.But if you want to find a good job that can satisfy you which can be much harder.And I have my goal.I want to achieve it.But it's really hard.So I really feel very worried.You know,nowadays college education is already universal and a university degree is no longer a privilege when job-hunting.But the competition is rather fierce.And there may be thousands of people just competing for this one position.And you need to let the HR believes that you are absolutely the best choice or the right person for their companies when you're in interviews.So it's really tough.

• 31. At 01:30am on 13 Aug 2011, castleontheriver wrote:

What subject!. Particularly many things worried to me. But for some months, the health of my father is what it worried to me more, because, I want to my father. Also, always it worries to me as to maintain my present work and to acquire better pay and conditions.

• 32. At 02:52am on 13 Aug 2011, amimz5 wrote:

I'm worry about my future, because I find myself in complicate situation. My dream was to get a good job with best salary, but it's defficult nowadays with the economic situation.

• 33. At 09:34am on 13 Aug 2011, sharanya wrote:

i always get worried if i didn't get the output for a program.I would think that why that program is not coming for me!!!what is the problem with me ....like that i worried and also i need a solution to get out of these worries.

• 34. At 10:13am on 13 Aug 2011, thotho wrote:

exams is the only thing that iam worried about .
      i really study hard but when i take the exam paper i feel nervous very much.
      when i study i feel worried too .....
      this is very awful feeling but i can't do anything about it

• 35. At 11:12pm on 13 Aug 2011, Fuminofly wrote:

I’m worried about radiation leaks by accident of the Tohoku-Pacific Ocean Earthquake. The survey revealed that more or less 50% of kids who lives in Tohoku area, were detected radiation. I concern about their future life.

• 36. At 04:13am on 14 Aug 2011, jenny wrote:

I am worrying about my future. Don't know whatever it will be. Or I should not worrry about something that I actually could not contraol? After worrying for a while, I realize that I should figure out what I want to be and go for it. Otherwise, I will regret for the rest of my life. I want to work in social welfare field, thus I finally quit my curret job and start my new life. Luckily, I have my another half to support my decision.

• 37. At 08:42am on 14 Aug 2011, Rafea wrote:

I am worried about many things in life such as how I can add a value in this life, finding a good wife, getting a promotion at work and the lists goes on. However, worry should not prevent us from achieving our goals. This also should not cause our aspirations to fade away. In my opinion, I can't describe worry better than the following two quotes:
      (1). "Without worry, nothing is achievable " -- Man in the Souk.
      (2). ‎"Worry is a burden borrowed from tomorrow that I do not need today" -- Unknown.
      These two quotes are really making my days!

• 38. At 09:35am on 14 Aug 2011, erich1906 wrote:

to Express English "What makes me worry":
      It makes me worry that the background music is so
      terrible noisy that it is hard to understand the spoken
      text.
      Erich

• 39. At 4:19pm on 14 Aug 2011, Ringo Sung wrote:

I m worried about losing my low paid job. As I m studying a part-time degree, the tuition fee cost me a fortune. Also, I m worried about I still can't find an ideal job after I graduated from university.

• 40. At 06:34am on 15 Aug 2011, sovattha wrote:

I am always worried about my appearance. I usually think negative result will appear. Moreover, someone will criticize me if i do something wrong.

• 41. At 10:09am on 15 Aug 2011, yesilim wrote:

I'm completely worried about my final exams due to fact that they are really hard. I strive to improve my English. Therefore, I'm also worried about how I can improve my English for better.
      In addition, I'm definitely worrying about trying to find jobs when I finish my university.

• 42. At 10:25am on 15 Aug 2011, ROWANHOSPI wrote:

I'm thinking of having a baby and my main worries are related to it, about his growing up in this crazy world. I will work hard in his education and I hope to do it the best I can.

• 43. At 11:26am on 15 Aug 2011, tramdang wrote:

I am worry about my future, I will get success or not, I will have a happy family or not... so many things... However, I also usually say with myself some sentences that make me feel better, don't worry any more such as take it easy, think it simple, what will be will be... These sentences are really helpful

• 44. At 1:56pm on 15 Aug 2011, anna wrote:

I'm worried about my health and the health of my children.
      Always fearing the worst . The least ailment turns into something incurable. I am probably a great hypocondriac. But as life passes
      I learn to take it easy and laugh about it.

• 45. At 4:11pm on 15 Aug 2011, hinah wrote:

Actually I am having a lot of concerns about my future. One of biggest thing is about unstable global economic status. Five years ago, I have believed that I will open my own design office at the nearly future and I will come true my old dream. But global situation included my country, it’s getting worse and worse. It is hard to predict something and make a plan about my future now. Everyday small business offices are closing one by one on these days. But I am trying to see bright side of life. And I believe if I don’t give up, someday, it will be real things

• 46. At 4:35pm on 15 Aug 2011, BARBARA wrote:

I' m worry about my TOEFL test on 27th August. If I don't pass it, I won't apply for a Pg degree in Uk. My English isn't bad, but awful.

• 47. At 7:42pm on 15 Aug 2011, shalomforever wrote:

Well, I was a worried person about my job, my future, my family... but now I fell a terrific peace that no one and nothing can steal. Someone bigger than me gave me this feeling. Every time taht I think something could get me worried I remember that inside me there is a much more importante person!

• 48. At 08:13am on 16 Aug 2011, Alice wrote:

I am worried about that we might move to another school or a class because it is too shy to say hello.

• 49. At 11:26am on 16 Aug 2011, Tenzin wrote:

Being away from my parents and relatives, and not knowing anything about their daily life, makes me worried very often.

• 50. At 11:49am on 16 Aug 2011, Tenzin wrote:

If something which can be removed or changed,
      there is no reason to worry about it
      If something which cannot be removed or changed,
      it will be useless when you are worried about it.

• 51. At 2:10pm on 16 Aug 2011, Olga wrote:

I can't say that I great worrier, my morries is connected mostly with the future - baby, about job, money,..a lot of things which influince on our life makes me worry, but in generally speaking i could say i am optimistic :))))

• 52. At 2:51pm on 16 Aug 2011, Jamaluddin wrote:

I am really a worrier . I always worry about my future , it is because I want to have a successful life including my career and social situation. At this moment I'm a littel worrying that I might not be able to pass the final English test which is coming ten months later and that would be very advanced and crucial, that is why my mind fastened on learning enlgish.
      Furthermore I always worry about my health situation wich means not getting sick or being hurt by possible incidents.

• 53. At 6:36pm on 16 Aug 2011, l-orchidee wrote:

I'm worried that I will worry my parents to death or drive them crazy when I (in the end) tell them I'll stay single for the rest of my life. Marriage scares me.

• 54. At 9:51pm on 16 Aug 2011, Oxbridge College wrote:

I don’t want to feel worried about anything at all. Your worries about your life, whatsoever, make you feel the worst! The worst enemy within yourself! Get rid of it rather than talking about worries. Be an optimistic, take rational decision at the time of trouble. Do not ever take irrational decisions because you will really miss the window of opportunities in life. Your glass is always half filled! Gayandaw

Downloads