Last updated at 12:01 BST, Friday, 05 August 2011

Television

Every week we ask you a different question. Hear what people in London say, then join the conversation!

How important is TV in your life? Generally speaking, how do you feel about TV?

Join the conversation. How important is TV in your life? Use the form below to let us know.

The Express English team

This is what some people in London told us about the role television plays in their lives:

One woman said she spends about 40% of her day watching television. She loves television, especially fashion, and programmes about celebrities lives. She says it lets her relax and unwind.

One man says he only watches the news. He thinks it conjures up a hyper-reality. He thinks it has a negative effect on people.

Another man says it’s a great means for communication. He thinks that documentaries, soap operas, comedies and factual programmes cover a broad range of interests.

Did you know?

Fact

According to a survey by OFCOM, the British Media and Communications regulator, people in the US watched over 4.5 hours of TV a day, compared to people in Sweden who watched just over 2 hours a day in 2008.

Language tip

Other words for television in British English - telly, the box, the tube.

Cultural tip

The BBC TV channels which are shown in the UK do not show any advertising.

End of Section

Now tell us what you think

How important is TV in your life? Generally speaking, how do you feel about TV?

Comments are now closed.

Comments

• 1. At 7:25pm on 04 Aug 2011, salih wrote:

I love watching tv, especially documentaries and films. I need to amuse and satisfy myself when my leisure times, so watching television is good way to provide these needs.

• 2. At 8:46pm on 04 Aug 2011, csepelside wrote:

I only rarely watch TV because, generally speaking, it's a waste of time. TV channels are full of boring soup operas that are not worth watching. Some documentaries can be useful or political news so that to know what happens on the globe or in the country where I live. My advise is to select programmes carefully.

• 3. At 10:03pm on 04 Aug 2011, Juan wrote:

TV it doesn´t has a lot importance in my life. I like a few programs of humor and science fiction and other when you can learn something. I believe throught TV you can understand and maybe "know" other cultures and landscapes. There are some programs of celebrities are so bored.

• 4. At 11:00pm on 04 Aug 2011, dana wrote:

In fact, mass media (T.V, Radio and Nwespaper) has a crusial role in our life. So, it is a good opnion if we spend around half an hour to watch T.V to know what happen in the world.

• 5. At 00:45am on 05 Aug 2011, şevo wrote:

Hi I'm join to you from Turkey so I can rating for Turkey TV system. I think it's not good because when you turn on any channel every time same thing; the magazine, the marry program,the soap opera (the main is undefined) , a lot of advertisement. However people of my country enjoy with these programmes. I think it would must be more education things on the programmes. Soap opera only imagination in my opinion. Also if I rating for the other country (I'm not lucky) they have a lot of useful TV programmes. So when I turn on my TV I watch foreign channel.

• 6. At 01:05am on 05 Aug 2011, deeeet wrote:

As for me, TV program is a little boring because they're for mass, very flat information. I prefer using Internet to watching TV. In Internet, we can get more specific info we want than TV. watching TV is waste of time.

• 7. At 03:37am on 05 Aug 2011, Elkagirl wrote:

Before I loved TV so much, like a part of my life. Gradually, I became a bit choosy in watching the TV programmes, watched only comedy and news. Now, I haven't watched TV for more than 2 years. However, I'm still alive and kicking plus updated. Thanks to the internet. Somehow, I have a lot of time to do more important things than before.

• 8. At 05:15am on 05 Aug 2011, Farida Arum wrote:

I'm watching TV only if I had spare time, particularly after 8 or 9pm, and on the weekend. And I will watch some of film programme, music, breaking news and an educated talkshow. I don't really like to watch any kind of infotainment, or news about celebrities, gossips or something like that. Just in a glance maybe yes, but not to pay attention seriously on it which will take minutes or hours on some programmes like that.
      But TV is still playing an important role of spreading information around the world. We are able to find out and follow what is now happening and become the headlines. Despite of its importance, I don't really like TV channel which show loads of adverts.

• 9. At 05:30am on 05 Aug 2011, Dench wrote:

TV makes me more updated on current issues worldwide. It makes me aware of everything that is happening around me.

• 10. At 07:31am on 05 Aug 2011, Vera_Kuzub wrote:

I don't watch TV very often. I prefer to download some movies and programs that interest me. There are a lot of advertisement on TV. I don't like advertisement.
      There are a lot of shows, programs and movies now but we should give serious consideration to the selection. There are both good and bad programs and movies.

• 11. At 08:12am on 05 Aug 2011, synsophia wrote:

I don't like TV. Because I think I can do another better things such as reading, listening to music, and so on. So I don't watch TV not much time, only 1 hour in a day.

• 12. At 08:48am on 05 Aug 2011, sonia wrote:

Watching telly has some positive effects like watching reality shows where talented peoples are pooled. I watch reality shows mostly as i get motivated through it. There are many poor people who are talented but they do not get an opportunity to show their talent. These shows provides an opportunity for such a talented people.

• 13. At 09:42am on 05 Aug 2011, mmodena wrote:

In times past I used to spent an awful lot of my time off duties in front of the television, on account of a lack of interest in real-life acitivities.
      Nowadays, I only use my television in order to improve my English skills. It really helps myself to express with a fair degree of accuracy.
      Television, not as bad as widely considered! :)

• 14. At 09:48am on 05 Aug 2011, helen chang wrote:

I love to watch TV shows. but seldem watch on TV. Usual on Net. following the news is the most of thing around day. No mater what kind of informations are really good for me .

• 15. At 09:59am on 05 Aug 2011, tramdang wrote:

When I was a child, I loved watching TV very much. Sometimes I forgot doing my homework because of watching TV. Currently, I don't watch TV so much, just one or two hours a day. I go for work all day and just watch TV for a while before going to bed. I think TV plays an important role in life because TV broadcasts news and some important things for people. However, nowadays, TV broadcasts advertisements so much. Some of advertisements makes audiences feel annoyed and even information in advertisements is not true.

• 16. At 11:17am on 05 Aug 2011, FRANZ wrote:

Here in Brazil I like to watch BBC Click program. When I was in Britain there's a program about car called Top Gear but I can't see here. I like curiosity programs like UFO Hunters because I believe in UFO. National Geographic is very good too with programs about travel, heath care, etc. At night I like to see news program. Rarely I see films or cartoons. Like another Brazilians I like to watch football. Today I think that 70% I watch here it is in English. I'd like that we have 48 hours per day because I like to be on Internet too. Perhaps when I'll retire I'll have more time. Thank you BBC I like you very much.

• 17. At 2:14pm on 05 Aug 2011, Freddy wrote:

Pretty important! although some people think that one can lost time watching TV but I think we can learn a variety of things when one watches TV, So the point is what kind of tv shows you choose!

• 18. At 2:57pm on 05 Aug 2011, phukien wrote:

In my opinion, TV programs show much hot news that is external - internal political situation, society, comedies and program music. Especially, program music which contains Yeah One TV, involves 25% of my daily time. I really love Yeah One TV because it updates a lot of new love songs and celebrities’ gossips. If there is not TV, it will be boring in life. Therefore, TV helps me to enjoy my life after work. In contrast, internets win more advantaged position than TV programs, because internet is more convenient to access quickly in everywhere than TV.(rindy_lee)

• 19. At 2:58pm on 05 Aug 2011, phukien wrote:

For me, i often watching TV after work. There r a lot of interest shows but i just watch what i like such as music, movies, fashion, news, educated talk show. It's can help me to relax, open my mind...eventhough there r a lot of advertisement on TV. Nowaday, old people watching TV more than teenage. In my opinion, i love watching TV.
      (Thuy' )

• 20. At 3:11pm on 05 Aug 2011, phukien wrote:

In my view, Television is just a piece of massive media in the human life. Somebody says it is not good for people, especially young people cause it affect the behavior and attitude of them. As you can see, there is tons of rural, erotic, and thriller movies on TV chanels. On the other hand, there are channels such as: Discovery, Geography,..etc also influence on people manner and educate to.

To sum up, TV is bad or good is depend on how long we watch, how we select the channels.

Dao Thi Ngoc

• 21. At 3:30pm on 05 Aug 2011, kyntire wrote:

Watching telly is not that important during my day. I mean, I watch it a little bit (say a couple of hours) in the evening for instance. In particular, I like to enjoy a good film, a documentary or the news. Recently, I have also started watching satellite channels such as Bbc. I find this a very useful way to improve my English in a kind of natural way. Yet, it is a pity that it is no more possible to watch Bbc1 broadcasting in my country, as I was was a great fan of its sit-coms !

• 22. At 3:44pm on 05 Aug 2011, michlvlouis wrote:

Yes, TV has become a part of our daily lives. we get up.Get dressed up. watch some telly in the form of morning news or some music. we go to our respective offices. In the evening we spend at least 10 minutes before the telly weather we like it or not.

• 23. At 3:58pm on 05 Aug 2011, phukien wrote:

abc

• 24. At 4:20pm on 05 Aug 2011, phukien wrote:

• 25. At 6:16pm on 05 Aug 2011, immunesystem wrote:

I don´t watch television during the day, because i work .. but i like to watch tv after nine or ten o´clock. In particular, i watch movies and talk show.. i think it´s for a good company for those who can not sleep

• 26. At 6:49pm on 05 Aug 2011, phukien wrote:

I really like watching tv,especially music channels,fashion and films.Television is very importan with me,like a part in my life.I can update the news,the stuff and new songs in the world.I use 2 or 3 hours at night to wach television,not much but I think that’s enough :D ( Quyen )

• 27. At 9:14pm on 05 Aug 2011, Hom Nath Dharel wrote:

I used to watch TV at least 3 hours a day.I like the programme like sentimental teleserial and the movie most.furthermore besides musical programme very much.

• 28. At 02:37am on 06 Aug 2011, phukien wrote:

TV is very helpful cause i can learn everythings!eventhough i can't go to school!but i don't have enough time to watch tv cause my work very busy!what's a pity

• 29. At 06:17am on 06 Aug 2011, salih wrote:

In my view, television is a necessary thing for people. News, documentary films, etc, you can watch them through television. Especially after the work, I love watch tv in order to get relax.

• 30. At 09:51am on 06 Aug 2011, Helen wrote:

Recently I haven't watched much TV. I hate watching soap operas and reality shows. I avoid watching programmes crammed with violence. But I don't mind watching educational programmes and brilliant films. The most irritating thing about TV is commercials. I can't stand it! So, I watch the channel which doesn't show any adverts.

• 31. At 11:35am on 06 Aug 2011, wei812 wrote:

I dont like the TV program in Taiwan, normally, I probably watching TV less then one hours as they are too many boring political comments, NEWS luck justice, junk shows and old movies, etc. But I like cooking shows and travel channel. Even though, I'd spend much time to surfing on internet.

• 32. At 12:22pm on 06 Aug 2011, salih wrote:

I think that watching television is a beneficial way to learn something. You can learn news from around the world through tv. During my leisure time, I love watching tv in order to spend time. But at the same time, people alwasy need to maintain equilibrium between the watching tv and working. Watching tv shouldn't be a waste of time.

• 33. At 1:18pm on 06 Aug 2011, spartacus wrote:

I only watch TV for news and any factual discusses which the participants are professional. TV makes the people to think in a narrow sight and sometimes people are hindered get object mind about social events and politic plays...

• 34. At 5:56pm on 06 Aug 2011, Akichan wrote:

In Japan there was some famous journalist saying "TV makes citizen idiotic, silly" about 50 years ago. I think this is exactly mot juste. TV has actually helped citizen to lessen the power of thinking for a long time.
      Some programes are beneficial and educational for us but many are shallow and boring.
      I like to see the programe such as sports, world travel, art, musicals, to relax in spare time, one or one and a half per day.
      I wouldn't be annoyed at all without TV.
      In our country they are changeing TV system to the new interactive terminal TV to fasten the tight between the citizen and TV.

• 35. At 7:20pm on 06 Aug 2011, Randy Aparicio wrote:

Hi, i like watch the tv, but, i prefer the radio. listen to music.
      Greeting from Panama

• 36. At 7:24pm on 06 Aug 2011, Lovely wrote:

every coin has two sides so it is upto you how you are utilizing this tool. This is a blessing if you are trying to get knowledge or you are listening news than it is a helpful medium to connect with rest of the world. but if you are spending your too much time on TV than it will a curse for you it is totally depend on person to person.

• 37. At 7:26pm on 06 Aug 2011, Randy Aparicio wrote:

the tv is great means of communication, but i prefer the radio, i only watch the sports, and good movies, but it is important.

• 38. At 10:45am on 07 Aug 2011, AARON_AA wrote:

Actually,I don't watch TV very often,or maybe seldom watch it.I only watch some news,entertainment or some shows.But it doesn't mean that TV is not important in my life.There has been a period of time that I have no approach to TV because of something wrong with the set top box.At that time,I really feel that I cannot adapt to this kind of life that without TV,even if I seldom watch it when I have it.So I really think,to some extent,TV really means something to me.But sometimes I prefer the Internet,because I can get much more information from it.

• 39. At 10:53am on 07 Aug 2011, nabil wrote:

Our TV was damaged last year. And since this time we don't watch TV. I have children, and the children don't ask more to watch TV.
      For me is TV like alcohol. Spending 1 hour on TV is OK but it can take 40% of your day sitting there and letting images washing over you.

• 40. At 12:03pm on 07 Aug 2011, RMSz wrote:

I love watching sport, especially football, FC Barcelona's matches. But I like watching economic/news programme, as well. In fact, I don't watch TV very often. For example I watch movies on my notebook. Maybe it is something similar ;)

• 41. At 2:01pm on 07 Aug 2011, Poppyhelen wrote:

I have not TV in my house and I'm glad ! I can watch what I want with my computer :)

• 42. At 2:41pm on 07 Aug 2011, Helen Tang wrote:

I like watching TV, it is one of my relax method. TV actually provide many different kind of programmes and informations, for example drama; news; music; travel; diet; entertainment ect. Think about this, It same as internet can let you to know the things around the world stay at home.

• 43. At 4:44pm on 07 Aug 2011, LorennaLimma wrote:

From time to time I watch TV. I spend my time watching TV when a good program about history or science is on telly. But basically, I don't care when I can't watch. :)

• 44. At 5:56pm on 07 Aug 2011, Tatyana wrote:

I don't watch TV, becouse I think it has a negative effect on people. I don't trust in a freedom of speech on TV, therefore I read news on the Internet. I don't love advertizing, therefore I look films on DVD and cinema.

• 45. At 6:45pm on 07 Aug 2011, Cesar wrote:

I like telly because is very good to get you up date with the news and you can learn about others cultures.

• 46. At 03:15am on 08 Aug 2011, jskwon wrote:

Basically, I like watching TV because it's fun. So I think telly can be a way for relaxation. But at the same time, telly can take much time of our life and it is difficult to control it. So, I just allow it on weekend.

• 47. At 05:57am on 08 Aug 2011, khmees wrote:

i like watching tv but i do not have much time for that. i can find my self in tv programs ,choose what i want to see or what i want to hear the most exciting program for me is political one

• 48. At 07:53am on 08 Aug 2011, michellegao wrote:

I like TV which let us spend our time by relax. I like entertainment programme, food, travel programme, etc.

• 49. At 12:18pm on 08 Aug 2011, Virag75 wrote:

I hate TV. Because the level of the programmes is very low. Hungarian TV channels are full of with terrible reality shows. I can't see them. Watching TV is a wasting of time. You're sitting in front of the silly box and watching other's people life, instead of living your own life. It's very boring. E.g. it's boring and not too healthy to watch sport programmes on TV instead of doing some sports. And I don't like watching news either. I experienced that news-makers can be bought and manipulated by the politics very easily. I prefer using internet, because it's interactive and more interesting.

• 50. At 12:58pm on 08 Aug 2011, Annmarie wrote:

I spend not much time in watching TV, because there are so many unnecessary programs. But sometimes when you can watch something about business or different documentaries its really useful because you can learn more about themes and other interesting things

• 51. At 5:51pm on 08 Aug 2011, hinah wrote:

On my point of view, too much watching TV is bad for people. Watching TV can give us a lot of advantages for our modern city life. We use to get helpful information and communicate the world through watching TV. But sometimes, TV makes us stop thinking and talking each other. Above all, I think too much watching TV reduce time to read more worthy books in a day. In conclusion, when self-control is accompanied, Watching TV is can be useful things to us.

• 52. At 6:24pm on 08 Aug 2011, rizan wrote:

TV is important communication media, it brings entertainment shows, news updates , sports, fashion shows and documentaries. When i have spare time i watch tv dramas, i like sports channels because they bring us the live sports from around the world. I prefer to watch national news channels because international reporting usually comes to be exagerations.

• 53. At 8:19pm on 08 Aug 2011, Kazimir wrote:

I think that almost all the talk shows and soap operas make the mind-stopping effect for those who watch them. What about me, I watch only the news, science programs and classic movies made by the grate directors. It seems to me that TV could be good or bad, it depends which program has been chosen by you.

• 54. At 8:57pm on 08 Aug 2011, cosmic19 wrote:

I believe that watching television more than two hours in a day might be harmful for a person.Generally i like to watch news and informative program on television.Beside that i occasionally like to watch, good movies,musical program,serial and so on whenever i get free time.

• 55. At 11:27am on 09 Aug 2011, Emma wrote:

I like watching TV in my free time; I am interested in most of TV programs. I think "telly" is very useful in most people's lives. It helps most of us to give information and enjoyment. Unless one spend too much time watching TV, TV is very good device to all of us.

• 56. At 3:15pm on 09 Aug 2011, Jamaluddin wrote:

It's really important for me to watch TV. Sometimes it feels like I am addicted to watching my favorite programs. My favorite TV series is broadcast once a week on Saturday.
      TV can have great impacts on young people from different aspects like lifestyles, technologies and languages.The reason is that we imitate deliberately or involuntarily everything we watch and hear .
      Furthermore watching TV is important for improving my English and withouth TV my life would be slow and boring.

• 57. At 03:45am on 10 Aug 2011, thekentaro wrote:

I do not watch TV as much as I used to when I was a teenager. Now I am in my 30s and I really enjoy watching sports such as football, baseball, boxing and so forth. In fact, sitting on the couch in front of the TV and watching the Women's World Cup games held in Germany last month gave me such a wonderful entertainment experience. TV commercials are irksome and bothers me, but I suppose they should be accepted as long as great programs are offered to us for free of charge.

• 58. At 03:50am on 10 Aug 2011, castleontheriver wrote:

At this moment the TV is little important in my life, because the gratuitous television seems to me empty of good content and little interesting. I use only it from time to time to relax to me of the daily preoccupations and to see images of some news.

• 59. At 08:38am on 10 Aug 2011, chloe wrote:

I'm used to watch TV over 2 hours a day. But now I don't watch much TV since I have more and more things to do at night, as well as the TV programe become more and more boring and stupid. I'm very worried about my children watch too much TV especially on holiday. I don't think they can learn very useful things from TV, it is also a big problem for most of parents.

• 60. At 10:15am on 10 Aug 2011, elisa wrote:

I'd say that television is not that important. Nowadays there much more important means of communications, the internet for example. I use television only as a source of relax: when I don't want to think about anything, I turn on the telly and watch something. Unfortunately I can not always find a good program. Especially in summer, in August, it's nearly impossible to watch good films or good documentaries, everybody goes to holyday, television too!

• 61. At 1:11pm on 10 Aug 2011, aumaima wrote:

I choose to not buy TV, in my opinion, i loose my time when i spend time watching TV.

• 62. At 2:50pm on 10 Aug 2011, Ayse wrote:

I was watching TV a lot in winter, but I've been watching it at most 10 minutes a day since my summer holiday started. Also, I realized that I can live without it. There are more important things we should do. Spending time with our family or improving our skills should be our priority instead of TV.

• 63. At 6:47pm on 10 Aug 2011, Anastasia wrote:

I read many comments before posting my own, and the main idea that intervenes from my personal experience and variate opinions of BBC learning english visitors is that television is not a negative invention of mankind, if ot os used rationally, without fanaticism, if it don't become an addiction. I, really, compassion to those people, who can stay in front of telly for hours, clicking and "jumping" from one TV station to another and wasting their times tracking different gossips about celebrities or some soap opera fictional heroes. Television is a very useful thing if it helps to open a person's mend, but not interferes him or her to enjoy his or her personal reality...life.

• 64. At 9:32pm on 10 Aug 2011, HELGA wrote:

Here in Brazil the TV programs are not so good and there are many advertisings. So if you like to watch interesting programs you need to pay, for example a Cable TV, but it´s very expensive. For that reason I prefer to read a book or see some programs in internet .

• 65. At 11:09pm on 10 Aug 2011, toteveas wrote:

Watching TV is the last thing I usually do in my daily life. I think spending three, four or more hours in front of the box is a waste of time, above all in Spain, where standard TV (non PPV TV) is completely boring. Reality shows with people doing the monkey, endless films chopping with adds, Venezuelan and Colombian soaps that will finish when the cows come home...etc. The only program I usually watch is the news and now we can do it by internet. So I’m strongly thinking in get my tube thrown away..., and keep reading, jogging, playing guitar, cooking, socializing with friends, and studying English.

• 66. At 02:58am on 11 Aug 2011, weber kendi wrote:

Tv for me is so important, 'cause there we get news and infos about current days, and there I can see my soccer team play every week....viva Palmeiras....and viva BBC!!!

• 67. At 5:04pm on 11 Aug 2011, Mia wrote:

I like assist TV, but, in Brazil, the programs aren't very good. I've to turn to pay television....

• 68. At 5:28pm on 11 Aug 2011, Olga wrote:

I like to watch TV since I became a house wife and mooved to live to another coutry, i have nothing to do but watching TV, and I should say it helps me a lot in leraning language . Generally speaking TV is a good thing, but it should not outweigh the way of entertainment.....

• 69. At 6:09pm on 11 Aug 2011, sdgphan wrote:

i think that watching Tv is so fun. It used to watch Tv when I was young so much that i thought it wasted a half of life if we do not watch Tv. Now I watch Tv less than before because my leisure time is so a little but i think Tv is very important for us to complete ourselves. That's all my thoughts!

• 70. At 08:31am on 12 Aug 2011, love you 12 wrote:

I think to watching TV .It's possitive because it's a communication to other people in family.We sit in front of telly and talk to. Therefor we can know each other clearly . We get more news that the things are happened in the world.But it has negative sometimes people watch TV too much so that effect in your health and it waste of time too because of advertisement

• 71. At 4:06pm on 12 Aug 2011, yesilim wrote:

Telly plays a very prominent role in the lives of most of us today, whether we realize it or not. In my opinion, people must not spend so much time in front of a TV.Because spending too much leisure time in front of it increase the risk for heart disease. Also, that is harmful to our eyes.
      There are a lot of programs, series, movies or documentaries...I think people who in front of TV must watch useful programs or movies. In addition, they must beware how much time they spend in front of TV.

• 72. At 11:10am on 13 Aug 2011, thotho wrote:

i can't live without TV
      TV is my life, i have to watch 3 films,4 programmers,3 series a day and news of course.
      i feel that i have a addiction to TV
      but in fact TV is really bad Of public health is harm the eyes and makes a man lazy and obese, but with that I can not never give it up

• 73. At 04:30am on 14 Aug 2011, Ngin wrote:

When I watched a TV, I didn’t do anything so I looked like a zombie.
      So I didn’t like watching the TV much time.

Reading books and magazines are better than watching a TV.
      AS we are reading it, we try to understand and summaries it.
      It makes us smart.

• 74. At 6:25pm on 14 Aug 2011, khantony wrote:

I do not always watch tv but certainly it is a the most powerful medium of mass communication. I love to watch documentaries, reality shows, and other stuffs.

• 75. At 7:12pm on 14 Aug 2011, Nusu wrote:

television lies

• 76. At 3:02pm on 15 Aug 2011, sonik_babonik wrote:

I watch football on TV only and news sometimes. But I think, that television is a powerful management tool for human consciousness, and the imposition of views respectively managing people. I live in Belarus, all TV channels in the country of the state, objective news in a country not present.

• 77. At 6:05pm on 15 Aug 2011, Jana wrote:

Yeah, TV is my great passion. I especially love british comedy shows and celebrity stuff. I'd love to watch british TV, but it's not allowed in my area.

• 78. At 6:43pm on 16 Aug 2011, saba wrote:

Frankly Speaking, among all different kinds of mass media, I prefer Internet and after that TV.
      I really enjoy surfing on the Internet and I can spend lots of time on it. As a matter of fact it would amuse me for hours on end.
      As far as I mentioned The TV is another interesting media for me. To be honest, I am keen on Watching Movies is my leisure time; also, I can improve my English skills by listening to the news on the TV.
      When I was younger, I used to watch soap operas and cartoons, but nowadays I give up following these kinds of programs because I think they squander my time; In fact, I prefer to do something better.
      To sum up, I think TV is a good media to spend free time while do not become a habit for people.

Downloads