Last updated at 12:19 BST, Thursday, 28 July 2011

Music sharing

CD and computer

Every week we ask you a different question. Hear what people in London say, then join the conversation!

How do you feel about sharing music online?

Listen

Click to hear what some people in London told us

Join the conversation. How do you feel about sharing music online? Use the form below to let us know.

The Express English team

One person thinks it's part of a friendship, it's a good way to connect with people.

Another woman thinks it's the same principle as going to a gig – you can recreate the experience without going out.

And one man says he bonds with his friend over the music they like and argues over the music they hate.

Did you know?

Fact

Sharing music online is also known as file sharing.

Language tip

The word aural is to do with listening which is different from the word, oral, which is to do with speaking.

Cultural tip

Some countries have strict laws about downloading music so make sure you do it legally!

End of Section

Now tell us what you think

How do you feel about sharing music online?

Comments are now closed.

Comments

• 1. At 4:09pm on 28 Jul 2011, lionesa wrote:

Well, it is like sharing the best things you have because music gives life to everybody.

• 2. At 6:25pm on 28 Jul 2011, eun joung lee wrote:

• 3. At 9:21pm on 28 Jul 2011, Antonio wrote:

Even I knowing that share music online is quite illegal, i do that. Because i like take music on the web, so, i think share this king of arquives is cool.

• 4. At 03:13am on 29 Jul 2011, paulocesardelavega wrote:

Well in my opinion is not a bad thing to download music, I mean, I know that is illegally to dowload music but what happend when you don´t have enouhg money to buy a C.D when you only want one single or only one song becouse you don´t like all the C.D. What happend with the old songs that I lisened when I was young but That I can´t get the song becouse is old-fashioned.

• 5. At 04:10am on 29 Jul 2011, thekentaro wrote:

Putting the copyright issues aside, I think it is one of the great technologies. It does not require a lot work, but just the internet connection and a PC. Also it is natural for people to feel like sharing beautiful things around us with others, and music is one of them.

• 6. At 06:46am on 29 Jul 2011, salih wrote:

Sharing music with friend is a good way to maintain emotional connection. It is a part of friendship. But it is important to aware that musics we sharing online should be legal, otherwise it is illegal to download or upload and it is a crime. People who download or upload musics on the internet which is not licensed, they do crime which as a violation of the author's work. People need to be more sensitive for this situation.

• 7. At 07:35am on 29 Jul 2011, Vera_Kuzub wrote:

I think it is great. Sometimes you need some very special music that you don't have. Someone can share this music online with you. You may don't know this person. And it is good when your friend finds some interesting music and shares it with you.

• 8. At 08:28am on 29 Jul 2011, Ice wrote:

It is really intersting to share music on line. Anybody can create a friendly environment without going out. With the new advance technology (skype)you can enjoy, utilizing them. You can share any music that you wish to listen and you can exchange ideas related to this. As far as it is no harm to anybody it's jusk like sharing a file on line.

• 9. At 09:01am on 29 Jul 2011, chloe wrote:

It's great, I think. You can enjoy various music online or on the blog of some friends or twitters. And sometimes you would find some music really interested to you, and finally it's in your favorite collections.

• 10. At 09:57am on 29 Jul 2011, Jieunkorr wrote:

I think it is nice to share music with friends . because by sharing music, we can guess friend's disposition. since music is mirror of someone's disposition or mind. so it is a good way to know each other well.

• 11. At 11:49am on 29 Jul 2011, curiously wrote:

I think music is a good thing and it's always good to share good things. Everyone is happy.

• 12. At 1:46pm on 29 Jul 2011, djimefobbc wrote:

Sharing music online is a good thing because it is a good way to listen some free of charge musics. It is also a way of unity, for consolidating people from differents origins.

• 13. At 3:09pm on 29 Jul 2011, Lovely wrote:

Sharing the music is same as sharing the thoughts. Music is the best way to express your feeling. Through the music we can show our happiness or anger or our loneliness.Sharing the music online is the best way to show your culture and give amusement to others........

• 14. At 10:53pm on 29 Jul 2011, june wrote:

Music makes you remind some insteresting and important moments of your life, it is cultural and sharing on line allows you to know a little part of countries cultures and makes you feel excited and happy, also can make you to apreciate people who has the gift of compouse it...

• 15. At 12:07pm on 30 Jul 2011, vivian218 wrote:

form my points of views, music is a particular language and various kinds of music ought to expose characteristic person. hence, sharing music is the best way to look for some friends who have same hobbies

• 16. At 4:16pm on 30 Jul 2011, Soler wrote:

It's great,because you can show and express feelings with it. Make friendship. Also you can get know more new things and stay progressive.

• 17. At 11:47pm on 30 Jul 2011, rizan wrote:

in my opinion music sharing is very interesting thing , it sends a message of what you like and for whom you would like to dedicate, music sharing keeps you update with the new music

• 18. At 02:25am on 31 Jul 2011, Mary wrote:

Sharing music is a good way to make freinds and let the freinds know about yourself. Good music should be shared , I think.

• 19. At 04:31am on 31 Jul 2011, Ishaq sada wrote:

music is the meal of soul ...i like music so much.muzic is my life.i cant leave without muzic.

• 20. At 07:13am on 31 Jul 2011, hinah wrote:

I think the sharing music with somebody is wonderful things. I feel strong connection with people, when I knew my friend like to hear some music which is also my favorite. So I enjoy giving a music CD to my friends and colleagues for a gift and choosing a music CD in a CD store is my best hobby. But I think illegal downloading music on the internet is not good way for sharing music. The copyright of musicians and singers should be protected

• 21. At 11:30am on 31 Jul 2011, dana wrote:

Actually, nowadays a technology is one of the vital method to connect with everyone in our planet, therfore we should grateful to technology for precious service for humanity. It is very clear that music is part of human daily life. It is a good idea if we listen to music to became more comfortable....

• 22. At 2:36pm on 31 Jul 2011, Paulo wrote:

Well, I think sharing music might be avalailable to everyone. It's great to listen music even when is not need to buy...

• 23. At 3:54pm on 31 Jul 2011, Jamaluddin wrote:

Sharing music is a good way to explain our friends how we feel about daily life and how we cope under the circumstances.
      I have a good memory of sharing music: Some years ago it was a snowy winter with no electricity. I and some of my old school chums had trouble finding a way to produce electricity. Ultimately after long time thinking and discussing we thought of producing electricity by a dynamo on a bicycle. We set the bicycle in a way that we could sat down or lay down and handle the bicycle . when we handled the bicycle we could get electricity from bicycle's dynamo and then we could play our amazing audio cassette player.
      [Edited by Moderator for content]

• 24. At 11:12pm on 31 Jul 2011, castleontheriver wrote:

To share music with friendly through Internet?, it must be interesting although, personally and at present, I do not have time to it…

• 25. At 10:53am on 01 Aug 2011, Ngin wrote:

I like sharing music because it is a chance of listening without free of charge. Ha ~~

• 26. At 10:56am on 01 Aug 2011, Ngin wrote:

• 27. At 11:44am on 01 Aug 2011, Semir wrote:

Sharing music is very good technology but singers and people who are working in this industry should earn money.I think downloading and uploading music is illegal we should buy CDs from shops.Thanks:)

• 28. At 5:43pm on 01 Aug 2011, Juan wrote:

I think share music let you express any comment or feeling about any song at any time. It could be a opportunity for bands or singers because it´s a free way to know their productions. But, for others could be a threat because they don´t receive any economic compensation for their work. Actually a lot of band, for last mentioned reason, offer a lot of concerts.

Listen music it´s a way to connect with others, and if we share it we´re expresing

• 29. At 2:47pm on 02 Aug 2011, medvedoo wrote:

To my mind it's very fun, intresting and absolutely necessary. Nowadays, great number of people spend much time online -
      some of them even couldn't imagine their lifes without computers. So music lives in our computers too. We adore music, we need it, we want to listen to the music and to talk about it, computers give us great possibilities and we use them.
      From the other hand we trespass author's rights and some musicians suffer losses, but some of them adapt and even make a profit on this situation

• 30. At 5:08pm on 02 Aug 2011, fcadventure wrote:

It makes our lives convenient because we do not need to go to HMV or Tower Records. In addition, based on our shopping, softwares automatically recomment similar songs to us. Just wish prices were lower.

• 31. At 10:54pm on 02 Aug 2011, ChannyR wrote:

Sharing music on the Internet is not a problem for me. It is a way to make other people discover the songs that we appreciate. Some friends, for instance, can discover our tastes and share their point of view. Even if downloading music is forbidden by the law, we have to highlight that sharing music allows a largest access to music, some people can't afford payable cds.

• 32. At 04:14am on 03 Aug 2011, deeeet wrote:

Without copyright issue, Sharing music is great mean to know new music we don't know. it gives us great experience.

• 33. At 04:32am on 03 Aug 2011, loxuanthong wrote:

Life is impossible without music! Therefore sharing music online is a need to do.

• 34. At 03:16am on 04 Aug 2011, Cesar wrote:

I think share all kind of file in the internet is easy way to get your entertainment.

• 35. At 06:33am on 04 Aug 2011, choyang1ho wrote:

I insist that sharing music online is limited to the copylefted music only. I know not only positive aspect of the sharing music like giving oportunity to connect new music easily, but also negative aspect of this like invade creator's right. So, I wish copyleft movement to spread to the sharing music. Becasue copyleft movement is the best and only way to fullfill a right of listener and copyrihgt of creator in legally.

• 36. At 11:36am on 04 Aug 2011, yoyes wrote:

Buy a CD is very expensive for many people so, we need to find a way to listen to music because music is very important in our lives.
      I think sharing music online is the best we can do.

• 37. At 11:49am on 04 Aug 2011, Stephy wrote:

I tend to share music (from a legal source of course) with friends not only to make them discover new artists but also to share my daily mood!

• 38. At 12:27pm on 04 Aug 2011, Philis wrote:

My english is poor but I want to write my comment about it. I think İt's like a empathy and time sharing with different people. Anyway I prefer listening live music.

• 39. At 10:19am on 05 Aug 2011, nhannguyen wrote:

I think sharing music online is a good habit of someone who like share their emotions with another people. Some time, they don't like to go out to meet friend, they just want to stay in bed an surf the internet, chat, listen to music..., then they have a demand for library of music and so they can sing by their own voice and send to the public website or just send the link of a song for friends.
      Nowaday, with the really strongly develop of public website, people get closer to the others and that is the cause of sharing something online like music, movie, information...
      In my country, all people who work with computer everyday, the first thing they do when they turn on their computer is opening yahoo messenger. It become a habit. And me too!

• 40. At 1:25pm on 05 Aug 2011, CP wrote:

Music sharing.... wov good. In my life one of my greatest ambition was to be a good musician. But unfortunatly i didnt. Sharing music through friends is always good .

• 41. At 9:03pm on 05 Aug 2011, Hom Nath Dharel wrote:

I can't speak English very well but can little bit too.I am trying to share a music online.Music gives everyone a enjoy so that they can rid off from ther tentions for a while.I worked in my office afghanisthan,when i feel tired and a I used to listen music from my computer.

Downloads