Last updated at 10:03 BST, Tuesday, 14 June 2011

Photographs

Man pointing a camera

What is your favourite photograph?

Every week we ask you a different question. Hear what people in London say, then join the conversation! What is your most treasured photograph and why?

Click to listen to what some people in London told us:

Join the conversation. What is your most treasured photograph and why? Use the form below.

The Express English team

One woman said "it's a picture of my grandmother... it's interesting to see how she was when she was around my age."

Another man said "it's one of me on a beach in the south of France... it brings back memories of the time; the light, the colour, the atmosphere."

Did you know?

Fact

The first permanent photograph was an image produced in 1826 by the French inventor Joseph Nicephore Niepce.

Language tip

Taking a snap means taking a quick, informal photograph, usually with an unsophisticated camera.

Cultural tip

In some cultures it is rude to photograph someone. Always check before you photograph someone you don't know.

End of Section

Now tell us what you think

What is your most treasured photograph and why?

Please note that we are not able to publish all comments and comments may be edited.

Comments

• 1. At 9:22pm on 09 Jun 2011, hind wrote:

Hi everybody
      the most treasured photograph i have it's one of me and my classmates when we were in primary school, it's really intersting to remember my childhood.

• 2. At 03:15am on 10 Jun 2011, francisca wrote:

One of my most treasured photograph is a picture of my niece.
      She was so cute and chubby at the age of three. The picture always brings back the joy of being an aunt for the first time. Now her sister, my second niece, is as cute as she in the picture.

• 3. At 07:37am on 10 Jun 2011, Virag75 wrote:

My favourite photo was taken in Croatia in 2007. I spent some days on the beach near to Porec in a little bay. In my photo I'm sitting on the beach, at half in the water because it's high tide. I'm very happy and sexy in my swimming dress and I'm eating some chocolate. This photo expresses everything what I love: sea, sun-shine, chocolate. I'm so young and optimistic and pretty in this picture.

• 4. At 08:16am on 10 Jun 2011, 0jw0 wrote:

It's picture of my dog. Even though I can't see him any more, he will be always in my mind.

• 5. At 10:23am on 10 Jun 2011, free825 wrote:

My most treasured photo is one of that i went to FangYan Mountain with my husband before we got married. That moment, we were beautiful, the view was beautiful, everything was beautiful...

• 6. At 12:58pm on 10 Jun 2011, Jason wrote:

I think the most treasured photograph I have is my family portrait photograph I took. Even through it isn't a better photograph than professional's, it's very very special for me. Because my family look so happy in the photograph. That's why i love it.

• 7. At 1:57pm on 10 Jun 2011, Leihan Wong wrote:

I think one of my most treasured photograph was took by last year. It's a picture of my grandparents. I took this photograph at their home and also this is the last time I saw my grandfather. He passed away after I went out to study.

• 8. At 2:29pm on 10 Jun 2011, mimijune wrote:

The most treasured photograph to me is the one of my grandfather. He's gone away fews years ago, and everytime I see this photo, it reminds me lots of memories about him and I cry... I miss him so much.

• 9. At 03:52am on 11 Jun 2011, Nguyen Ngoc wrote:

It is the picture of me when I went to Singapore for the first time. I stood near Merlion statue; and behind the statue was Fullerton Hotel - the most luxurious hotel in Singapore. The scenery was so sparkling and glamorous. I appreciated the picture 'cause it helped me to keep my memory when I first went abroad and first saw a life outside of my country

• 10. At 11:46am on 11 Jun 2011, Ganzisean wrote:

The most treasured picture for me is a family picture taken when I was young. It should be the last picture we get our picture taken together as our parents got divorced. however, I still hope it wouldn't be the last one.

• 11. At 5:00pm on 11 Jun 2011, MusicVS wrote:

Hi ! My most treasured photograph portrays me with Valerio Scanu, my preferite singer. When I first saw him in Rome, it was beautiful because he's a great great voice, he's a good and handsome person. He changed my life because Valerio is music.

• 12. At 5:30pm on 11 Jun 2011, lalalala wrote:

it is the picture we took in each chinese new year. All relatives gathered in my uncle's house, eating drinking and sharing the happiness and sadness. Before we went home, we always take family photo and we can find out the difference in different_year family pictures, who have new girlfrirend, who have new baby ....

• 13. At 6:20pm on 11 Jun 2011, melgarja wrote:

I think the most treasured photograph I have is my son when he was borned. He was crying and the doctor held him, he was dirty, there was a litle blood and I was scared. I have been the photograph for twenty years and I like watch it often. I hope give it to my grand son sometime, but now I save it in a special and secret place.

• 14. At 01:33am on 12 Jun 2011, Cherkn wrote:

It's a picture me when I was very yang, I can't remember when that picture has been taken but for some reason my sister never let's anybody take it away and she never tells me why!

• 15. At 03:27am on 12 Jun 2011, Enrique wrote:

it's one of my parents Photograph, where they are in a walking park very much in love.

• 16. At 04:45am on 12 Jun 2011, castleontheriver wrote:

My most treasured photographies belongs to my childhood and adolescence, because there I are next to my parents, grandmother , brothers and mascots, living a happy time. Also, I hoard a photograph of when I am on the glacier of the mountain Le Martial from Tierra Del Fuego, Argentina . I want much that photo because the place is wonderful and I do not know when I can return there.

• 17. At 09:57am on 12 Jun 2011, Tereza wrote:

My most treasured photograph is a picture of me at the age of 5 and with my newly born brother. It is very lovely photo which brings back my memories of the childhood.

• 18. At 4:12pm on 12 Jun 2011, fatima ezzahra rabi wrote:

i think my most treasured photograph is one of my uncle whose name is abdelaziz.because he died whe i was very young .so it is very hard to loose one of your family without even see him or her.so i save this photo to remember him from time to time and never forget him.

• 19. At 8:31pm on 12 Jun 2011, lya-lya wrote:

I have two the most treasured photos. On each of them there are me and my first and second newborn daughters. Every time when I see these pictures I cry and laugh, because I remember how it was hard and painful at the beginning but absolutely amazing and happy at the end. The giving birth to a baby is the most exciting moment of woman's life.

• 20. At 11:48pm on 12 Jun 2011, Jose Daniel Gamez Rodriguez wrote:

Hello

I don´t like to take pictures to me because I think I´m not photogenic but I remember many good pictures which have beautifuls and importans moments of my life. My bachelor graduation, faliliar´s meetins, pictures with my friends, etc. I have one speciall pictures in Vancouver with my Brasilian friend Bruno before his return to Brasil

• 21. At 02:39am on 13 Jun 2011, Mark Chen wrote:

My most treasured photograph is a picture of me and my late Taekwondo instructor. He was not only a great teacher but also a great friend. His enthusiasm rubbed off on everyone who he came in contact with and his teaching inspired and motivated each one of us. This photograph takes me back in time whenever I look at it and reminds me of the beautiful moments we all share.

• 22. At 11:17am on 13 Jun 2011, hatem zaki wrote:

actually till now I don't have a treasured photos.but generally I'm used to watching my photos when I was child and young . to remember myself and events I took part in

• 23. At 11:48am on 13 Jun 2011, gytjs84 wrote:

The most treasured photograph is the one which is in my wallet at the moment. It was taken in Korea with my friends of church in last summer. When I feel lonley, I often see that picture because I am now staying away from them, of cause my familly.
      It remains a lot of memories about them, atmosphere, and so on.

• 24. At 3:04pm on 13 Jun 2011, crystal wrote:

My most treasured photograph is a picture of my mother when she was single. She that is in my mind always looks wet with sweat, tired and isn't sophisticated. She has been a farmer since she got married. When I was in school, sometimes I felt ashamed of her. But, one day I found her photograph by chance. That person looked like another. My mother in the picture looked beautiful and sophisticated and even like actress.
      At the moment, she looks like queen to me. Since then, I always keep the picture in my wallet and pray that she would live longer with me

• 25. At 4:50pm on 13 Jun 2011, slater wrote:

My most treasured photograph was taken yesterday and it is a picture of my pregnant wife. It is represent a magic moment of affection between the two most important people in my life.

• 26. At 5:34pm on 13 Jun 2011, Ice wrote:

A photograph which was taken 21 years ago is my treasured photograph. It was my son and my husband. It was taken when my son was six month . My husband passed away when my son was seven month old. The photograph gives evidence to his love, affection and the human bond he had towards my son. Now he is 21 years old. The photograph is very priceless.

• 27. At 9:51pm on 13 Jun 2011, Jaime wrote:

Hi everybody.
      I think that perhaps maybe my children together in an embrace when they was only 3 and 1 years old respectively.

• 28. At 04:19am on 14 Jun 2011, Soo wrote:

My most treasured photograph is the picture that photographed with my family before i came to Canada.
      a few months ago, i came to Canada to improve my english. Before coming here, i'd never been away from my home.
      Whenever i look at the picture, i feel comfortable and relaxed.
      My family is indispensable to me!!!! :)

• 29. At 11:16am on 14 Jun 2011, soha elgebali wrote:

My most treasured photograph is the picture of me in Paris at the Lover museum. I treasure this photo because it reminds me with this trip and the wonderful times I spent there.

• 30. At 12:56pm on 14 Jun 2011, sathish wrote:

I got my childhood photo took with my neighbor, if i saw that photo i will remember my neighbor who was no m ore with me. The photo was 22 years old, the background of my native was different which i am currently found on native.

• 31. At 3:34pm on 14 Jun 2011, Jerson wrote:

My most treasured photographed is my mom's id picture inserted in my wallet's frame- because every time i see her picture, all the problems and the difficult task in school erases. hehehhe

• 32. At 3:52pm on 14 Jun 2011, Soler wrote:

Much treasured photograph is from my childhood with my family, when we were in one of the winter's health-resort.It brings big smile and warmth to me always.

• 33. At 7:39pm on 14 Jun 2011, shahed wrote:

the most treasured photo i have maybe is my picture when i was 2 years old and i can t walk and i can t seat. my mother set me and care me .she extended her hands to care i did not fall.at this photo i was very fat and now i am very thin.

• 34. At 10:45pm on 14 Jun 2011, GATO JEAN PIERRE wrote:

hi everybody! the most treasured photograph is the picture of my Mummy.Because none is more important in my life than her.Since my born.She has done a lot to me.She is always in my mind.

• 35. At 02:18am on 15 Jun 2011, luscinia wrote:

My treasured photograph.... I was 6 years old. I was going to the school with my brother Edu and my father

• 36. At 07:59am on 15 Jun 2011, amylth wrote:

the most treasured photograph is the picture of my father, monther, sister and me when we were in my relative's home in the lunar year. At that time, my parents were very young and my sister and me were teenagers.

• 37. At 11:40am on 15 Jun 2011, YOOSUMIN wrote:

My most treasured photograph was taken with my friends when we went backpacking around INDIA. It was way beyond expectations. And it was a short trip but quite a life changing experience for me. It opened my eyes to a new country and different cultures and made me realize the importance of studying a second language such as English.

• 38. At 12:43pm on 15 Jun 2011, bekes wrote:

• 39. At 3:40pm on 15 Jun 2011, icabbage wrote:

My favorite photo is my family photo. My dearest parents and I were smiling happily when the photo was being taken. I love my family and my parents are my precious. When I was young I always kept that photo in my diary. And now I have grown up, it could also remind me to try my best to work hard to support my family and give my parents the best things and lives in the world they would never imagine.

• 40. At 8:24pm on 15 Jun 2011, lillo1175 wrote:

There isn't the most treasured photograph,or better,there is ever (it's my family photograph) but when I take anoter one,that becomes the most treasured.

• 41. At 11:53pm on 15 Jun 2011, eae wrote:

My most treasured photograph is the one that I took by the Lake Tahoe, Nevada back in 2009 with my family.
      It was a cold and sunny day with a lot of snow around the lake, so it was the perfect place for a family portrait. after we took that beautiful picture, we went back to our hotel and then went snowboarding on the highest mountain of the area.
      That was for sure the best vacation I have ever had.
      [Edited by Moderator: the final comment was off topic]

• 42. At 11:55pm on 15 Jun 2011, laais wrote:

One of my most treasured photograph is a picture of my all girl friends and I on a balcony's friend on the beach. We were siting there playing a lot of different games, drinking and eating spoilt food. That day we did this since 3pm up to 6am. In the exact moment of the photo we were listening to Firework of Katy Perry, and we all were singing. This photo reminds me of what I did during my whole january and all my summers in the beach, having a good time with my friends!

• 43. At 00:37am on 16 Jun 2011, bekes wrote:

most treasured photography is father s picture before he died
      and my picture when i was young with my friends at school.

• 44. At 03:51am on 16 Jun 2011, Sean wrote:

One of my most treasured photograph is one of my grilfriend and I stood on the top of Huangshan Mountain in 2007. There was very large snow in that day, we almost did not meet any other tourist on our way, that was a wonderful feeling! Just like the whole mountain only belong to both of my grilfriend and I...

• 45. At 2:00pm on 16 Jun 2011, Leila wrote:

One of my favourite photo is my birthday party when I was 4 with my family, grandparents ,cousins everybody. I like it because it reminds me of those who are not with me now and the house which I brought up there.

• 46. At 3:46pm on 16 Jun 2011, Arancina wrote:

I'm fond of taking snaps. I don't have such a sophisticated camera, but the resulting pictures are good enough to remind me my travels and some important moments of my life.
      The funny thing is that among the hundreds of photos I've taken by myself, the most treasured is the one somebody else took when I was only 3 months. I love it! In this photograph, that always stands on my work desk, my grandfather holds me on his knees looking at me very tenderly but even a bit frightened to harm me (like every man with a newborn!). We were sitting together in an armchair at his home where I was used to spend my holidays. It's really touching. My grandpa is not here anymore, but I will always bring him inside me. He was a very special and sensitive person and whenever I watch this magical photo I feel better and peaceful.

Downloads