Last updated at 15:44 BST, Wednesday, 01 June 2011

Awards

Every week we ask you a different question. Hear what people in London say, then join the conversation! Who would you give an award to and why?

Click below to listen to what some people in London told us, and see the words:

Join the conversation. Who would you give an award to and why? Use the form below.

The Express English team

One woman would give an award to her parents because they have been an inspiration and have motivated her to work hard. She wants to make them proud of her.

Another man wants to give a posthumous award to Johannes Gutenberg for inventing the printing press.

Did you know?

Fact

The official name of the Oscars ceremony is the Academy Awards. The first ceremony took place on 16 May 1929.

Language tip

Someone who is nominated for an award is called a nominee.

Cultural tip

If you win an award you might have to make an acceptance speech, but keep it short and to the point!

End of Section

Now tell us what you think

Who would you give an award to and why?

Please note that we are not able to publish all comments and comments may be edited.

Comments

• 1. At 8:01pm on 02 Jun 2011, Les wrote:

Like the woman you asked first I’d give an award to my parents for their patience, for backing me up in different situations, for being not only my parents, but my friends! I would award them as much happiness and health as possible :)!

• 2. At 8:21pm on 02 Jun 2011, Juan wrote:

I give an award to my family because they have teach me values through them actions.

I consider my family give me tools to learn and enjoy the life evenly

• 3. At 9:10pm on 02 Jun 2011, taharqua wrote:

I would give an award to my mother because she is an exceptionnal person. She supporting me all the times and being there whenever i need her. She works very hard to make my sisters and I happy since my dad death. I am very proud of her.

• 4. At 11:39pm on 02 Jun 2011, amimz5 wrote:

Like the first person in the video, I would give an award to my parents, because they have done everything for us, they have sacrificed their life for their children. So, an award is less then what they deserve, I think the best thing I can do for them is to success in my life and be happy, because they will proud of me and will say that their efforts wasn’t lost.

• 5. At 00:57am on 03 Jun 2011, sinclair2010 wrote:

I also give an award to my parents because they gave birth to me. Without them, I wouldn't be here now.

• 6. At 03:10am on 03 Jun 2011, francisca wrote:

I would give an award to my mom, who prepares packed lunch for me every weekday. If it weren't for her, I wouldn't have healthy food to eat and a balanced diet. You're the best Mom in the world and deserve a big prize.

• 7. At 07:52am on 03 Jun 2011, vitek wrote:

I would give an award to the president of Czech Republic Vaclav Klaus. He is very clever man, he speaks and writes books in many different languages. He has a charisma, he is strong personality. On top of all that I like his opinions on many issues like global warming or euro currency. Most foreign politics consider his opinions as controversial but he seems to be correct at the end. For example most politicians claim to reduce CO2 emissions but in fact every country is increasing the emissions. I don't know what award I would give him because he has many of them already. Maybe this comment mentioning his name is the best award I can give him.

• 8. At 08:03am on 03 Jun 2011, ruby wrote:

I'll like to give this reward to my father and mother, and the reward could be my inner satisfaction , I know if they see my happy and satisfied they'll be so happy :)

• 9. At 08:25am on 03 Jun 2011, bana wrote:

Some awards are encouragable and some are not. Same in my case I would like to give an award to someone who had ruined my life but thanks to God that makes me strong and give me encouragement to survive again and face the reality of my life and need of my presence in this world.

Therefore I would like to present award of encouragement to my parents who grown up me with the strong stamina and stood stand beside me to fight with every danger of life.

• 10. At 10:12am on 03 Jun 2011, Victoria_West wrote:

I'd give an award to the first teacher of my son. She teached her pupils to be purposeful persons. Due to her efforts my son has been able to achieve a wonderful result. He has won a medal of International Physics Olympiad.

• 11. At 10:35am on 03 Jun 2011, Dau wrote:

I think this would be my dad. He had worked hard all of his life for family. And he has expressed his love to his sons, even he has got a stroke now. Not sadly, he is still happy now.

• 12. At 12:40pm on 03 Jun 2011, regina hess wrote:

All heroes who have lost their lives for freedom.

• 13. At 12:47pm on 03 Jun 2011, regina hess wrote:

Awards given by human beings is nonsense.

• 14. At 2:41pm on 03 Jun 2011, Emilia wrote:

I would give a special award to all those people who work for rendering the world better, but I personally want to give an award to my husband because he has been patient and kind with me for several years.I can't live without him. Thank you Michele

• 15. At 8:26pm on 03 Jun 2011, marcovecellio wrote:

I'd give a award to the many and many volontarires which make efford and are killed every day in every time.
      That are the people that really marit an award, non economists or political.

That is all abuot it.
      Bye bye

• 16. At 00:31am on 04 Jun 2011, hatem zaki wrote:

It's so hard to give award to only one person. in life you have many people deserve your award . so I'll give my award to anyone helped his country or even his community to move forward .our planet need for more than award .we must be grateful for our planet which supplies us with row materials and renewable energy sources and we exploit its kindness to destroy our planet without any mercy

• 17. At 03:20am on 04 Jun 2011, castleontheriver wrote:

I would give a concession of happiness to my parents, who worked all the life and they inspired to me to be the one who I am today, also to my maternal grandparents, who while they lived gave to me many cares and affection. Finally, I would give a concession of recognition and admiration to Mother Teresa from Calcutta , Mahatma Gandhi, and Nelson Mandela, by its work in favor of the humanity.

• 18. At 10:27am on 04 Jun 2011, shahed wrote:

i would give an award to A.J hoge
      he is one of the best English Learner in the World!
      He is create "Effortless English club" to learn English
      Maybe he is reach man now, why not? he is one of the best
      he is study about bather learning, exciting learning. and he is fun now. i like his method and advice to any one to enjoy it and use it for improving your speak and yourself too.

• 19. At 11:32am on 04 Jun 2011, Natalya wrote:

I would give award to people who are trying to do fair and legal business in Russia.

[Edited by a Moderator: A part of this comment, which breaches the house rules, has been removed.]

• 20. At 1:06pm on 04 Jun 2011, kyntire wrote:

I would give a special award to my husband, the love of my life.
      He has always been there for me whenever I needed, he is still my best friend after 21 years of life together. Moreover, he gave me the most wonderful gift of my life, my children.
      I think he would deserve an award also for having such a good taste in choosing his wife !!!

• 21. At 3:28pm on 04 Jun 2011, Tereza wrote:

I would give an award to the teacher and leader of my master thesis. He is so pacient with me!

• 22. At 4:21pm on 04 Jun 2011, lalaisabelle wrote:

I would give an award to my parents for their love, for their encouragement and for their tolerance.

• 23. At 4:41pm on 04 Jun 2011, Thanh Phương wrote:

I will give an award to may parents definitely. Firstly, they are the ones who gave me my life, brought me up and always love me till the end of my life. This topic reminds me about something I've heard in a song " Child you don't know, you never know how far they go to give you all the love can give". All the love, the care they gave me are unlimited. My parents always stand by my side, give me their hand whenever I need. Specially when I am down in troubles, I fail in my life; my parent always stand there with their open arms. They are my moral support. Futher more they always give me the best thing that they can. My family is not rich but my parents never let me deprive. When I hear this topic, I wonder what I did to show gratitude to my parents. I will try my best to make them feel proud of me. I LOVE them so much.

• 24. At 8:14pm on 04 Jun 2011, Arancina wrote:

Firstly I would give an award to BBC Learning English staff for the precious opportunity to express ourselves and to improve the knowledge of this beautiful and dynamic language in a verry interesting and amusing way. Thank you a lot!! :)
      Then I would like to give a big award to my boyfriend for always staying by me in every difficult moment (good moments as well), speaking the right words to calm me down and giving me a lot of love. In this period I've been so busy that I haven't spent much time with him and paying more attention to his desires might be a way to award him (even though an Aston Martin might be a good award too!!:-)) . And of course, as almost everybody posted, i would award my mother for all she taught me and for the sacrifices she made to grow me up. As soon as I will afford it, I'll organize a wonderful travel to award her!

• 25. At 9:58pm on 04 Jun 2011, ricardovivas wrote:

I would like to take to this opportunity to give an awards to my parents who helped me and gave me all in my life.

• 26. At 12:39pm on 05 Jun 2011, Clive59220 wrote:

• 27. At 5:43pm on 05 Jun 2011, vally wrote:

I would give an award to myself, because I did great steps to improve myself and to find my way. I'm still doing it.
      After me, I would give an award to my cat, for teaching me the skill to reach my goals.

• 28. At 9:40pm on 05 Jun 2011, Rajal wrote:

Despite the fact that my parents deserve the award, i think i would give it to Mandela. My parents are great for ME but Mandela has been great for millions of people. What Mandela did was great for the whole humanity. If there were two awards, i would give the second one to Gutenberg for his great invention

• 29. At 9:55pm on 05 Jun 2011, kunnukun wrote:

I would give an award to my parents, too, and to my sisters and my brother. Why? On the one hand they are rather usual people, on the other hand they struggled hard to achieve their usual goals. Noone in my family became rich, unfortunately. And to me life often seems to be making one step after another and sometimes being hit by a hammer which comes down from above. Yet we all are still alive - and in Germany we are wealthy anyway.

• 30. At 04:50am on 06 Jun 2011, jinkey wrote:

First, I want give an aware to my parents. They works hard to bring me up. Then I need give my best aware to my wife. She always give me the biggest suppot whatever I do and wherever I go to work. Thanks them!

• 31. At 08:39am on 06 Jun 2011, PharmCEOwi wrote:

Unlike other case, I would gvie an award to my fiancee.
      She decided to marry me despite I`m going to go to study abroad.

• 32. At 09:07am on 06 Jun 2011, Irina wrote:

I award my lovely daughter. She is the only person who understands me, encourages and gives me strength to live, work and dream. She hugs and kisses me and I understand that I need to be happy, satisfied and beautiful woman. I'm happy with her. She helps me to became better and get up every day, to be independent and alive.

• 33. At 09:17am on 06 Jun 2011, maryam wrote:

It would be myself.Firstly for being always curious.
      when I was only 4 years old and couldn't read, in my childish games,pretended I am as a scientist or anybody who knows manything specially about the rules of Nature.
      Always I had a book in my hand and after 10 years old I read many books.
      when I was only 11 years old,I knew unconscious and many thing about internal power.
      Later I knew myself well and this self-awareness helped me all of my life until yet.

• 34. At 10:56am on 06 Jun 2011, shududy wrote:

I'd like to give an award to Julian Assange, he had changed the idea of journalism and due to his efforts, now we are able to know much more things compared to old fashioned newspapers. Plus, he has a great influence on Arabian Spring, the wave of revolutions which Middle Easterian people have been effected by.

• 35. At 2:21pm on 06 Jun 2011, Virag75 wrote:

I think it's a very good topic. I have a lot of ideas to give awards ... maybe too many ... At first I would like to give an award to my cat, who is my best friend and knows my real values. We play together a lot and he always cheers me up with his innocent love and kindness. Then I thought that I'm who would get an award, just because I have a very special personality. I'm open-minded and I never stopped dreaming about a better world.

[Edited by a Moderator: This message has been shortened.]

• 36. At 2:29pm on 06 Jun 2011, Appudoippudo wrote:

I'd like to give an award to galileo.
      If not for people like him we would still be struck in the dark ages, also to people like feynman, stephen hawking
      Who are so influential in inculctlating scientific temper,inspiring people to question authority and tradition.

• 37. At 3:51pm on 06 Jun 2011, Edward wrote:

I think that I am having the same opinion as the first interviewee that my reward will be giving to my parent as well as myself. My parent who are really great and always giving me full support, regardless of education, working, or any kind of problem when I encounter in my life. Furthermore, they are always being my side and they are also the only one who are caring me very much. Besides, I also want to award myself that I will keep working hard in my life and to be successful someday.

• 38. At 6:04pm on 06 Jun 2011, kyntire wrote:

I would really like to give a posthumous award to Syd Barrett. He has been the original vital spark that gave birth to that wonderful masterpiece of rock music whose name is Pink Floyd.
      Their music so fascinating and magnetic still give a touch of magic to some of the most memorable moment in our life. Thank you Piper, we will never forget you !

• 39. At 7:54pm on 06 Jun 2011, Gustavo wrote:

I want to give my award to my wife. She's is a perfect partner of life. We often disagree and discuss, but most of the times we can achieve agreements and enjoy the reconciliation.

I really love to share my life with her.

• 40. At 9:13pm on 06 Jun 2011, Leila wrote:

I'd like to award my family my husband and kids cos' they're the meaning of my life .We learn so much from each other.The meaning of love,patient,collaboration....

• 41. At 9:23pm on 06 Jun 2011, royperu wrote:

And the winners for best performance are MY PARENTS. I would give an award to them for being with me all this time backing me up and giving me the life that maybe they never had. I'm the person that they wanted me to be and I'm so grateful for that.

• 42. At 10:34pm on 06 Jun 2011, Julio TV wrote:

I Would give an award to Evangelina Flower.

• 43. At 10:58pm on 06 Jun 2011, mahsalimi wrote:

I would give the award to my dad because of all the love he gave us ...

• 44. At 02:49am on 07 Jun 2011, Cruz wrote:

Hi everybody

I think it's a very good topic, i'd like to give an award, two person, my grandma and father, they are important persons in my life, becouse they taught me everything that i know, i am very proud of them. ther

• 45. At 05:40am on 07 Jun 2011, love you 12 wrote:

i give an award to my mother who always encourage me .She helps me when i get in trouble, takes care me when i'm sick.I feel glad when mother told me her's childhood stories.My mther is a teacher but also a friend .If i am succesful in the future, i must be thanked my mother very much.
      Always love mom

• 46. At 05:41am on 07 Jun 2011, bala wrote:

I would like to give an award to my friend ela. she has been motivating me and teaching me how to [be myself]. she guides me in my [career] and how to behave as professional

[Edited by Moderator: suggested corrections in brackets above].

• 47. At 11:40am on 07 Jun 2011, Ganzisean wrote:

I'd like to give an award to my parents. Even if I make mistakes and let them down, they always care about me and give me unconditional love.

• 48. At 3:23pm on 07 Jun 2011, crystal wrote:

I would give award to my kids first of all. They are the reason of my existence. sometimes, they make me happpy and sometimes they make me sad. But all of them are inspiring me to develop. They are award itself to me

• 49. At 4:27pm on 07 Jun 2011, anna_nguyen wrote:

i would like to reward my parents. They dedicated all their life to take care of me and my brother. Thanks for all things they did for me...and the love i receive from them...

I also want to give a award to all of people around me, who give me happiness as well as sadness in my life, teach me many lessons about love, friendship and the right behavior in life.

• 50. At 5:45pm on 07 Jun 2011, Ice wrote:

I do believe the presents should go to the parents as they showed a good path. Today we are in this position because of their genuine effort. How much we give them, it is not sufficient for the service they have done to us.

• 51. At 5:51pm on 07 Jun 2011, Leandro wrote:

I definitely would give an award to Immanuel Kant because his contribution to the world of philosophy. I think that the world was not the same before and after Kant. He was such an intelligent man. It's a pity people don't read his books and practise his theories enough.

• 52. At 6:43pm on 07 Jun 2011, rajamurugan wrote:

I would like to give award great Indian cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar so called God of Cricket. He is the one who inspired me not only to play cricket but also taught me about patriotism,perseverance,calmness,tolerance,devote,love and passion. He is the example of mankind. I love him more than my soul. Salute Master !!

• 53. At 00:23am on 08 Jun 2011, juls wrote:

I give my award to my mother for she wakes up at 2:45 in the morning everyday just to prepare food for me before I go to work. That shows that she's indeed the best mother in the world sacrificing her time for her son. Thank you so much mom! (juls from Philippines)

• 54. At 10:58am on 08 Jun 2011, hinah wrote:

I would like to give an award to my parents as like almost people’s opinions.
      These days I am deeply feeling that the beautiful normal life is not easy things and that is needed to so many efforts and patients. I’ve been realizing that my parents really worked hard and bared so many hardships for growing me and making beautiful childhood to me. Therefore, they deserve an award.

• 55. At 1:15pm on 08 Jun 2011, sachu wrote:

• 56. At 2:20pm on 08 Jun 2011, mimijune wrote:

It's definitely my parents and my grand sister that I want to give an award!!! Because of them that I have all good things today. They are the only persons that I love unconditionally and with all my heart no matter what happens.

• 57. At 02:11am on 09 Jun 2011, melgarja wrote:

I would like to give an award to my son, he has been awesome kid since they were five years old when a doctor told us that he was a dificult disease, he fight durint seven years and now he is healed. He had lived dificult times but he always was a brave kid. I have to give an award to my son.

• 58. At 06:34am on 09 Jun 2011, Stremmenos Fotis wrote:

I would like to give a prize at the BBC and its staff for the excellent quality of educational, informative, educational, recreational and other programs offered free to millions of readers, listeners and viewers around the globe. Their contribution to knowledge is the highest good and the movement of universal ideas and values ​​is priceless.

• 59. At 09:32am on 09 Jun 2011, ukata wrote:

Hi everyone!

The question: who would you give an award to? proved me difficult. After a few minutes I decided to give the award my friend . He's changed my life since appeared in my life. I can entirely rely on him. He accept and encourage me. I enjoy his company. I can't imagine life without him

• 60. At 11:24am on 09 Jun 2011, MIGUEL CUENCA wrote:

• 61. At 11:25am on 09 Jun 2011, MIGUEL CUENCA wrote:

It would be my wife. She has been my partner for 26 years now and we have gotten on really well so far. We have a great family and she has always been our support and our foundation.
      Despite the fact that she doesn't need any awward, because she`s really proud of having such great family and this is enough, i think it would be fine to have a holiday week in a faraway place with no worries. Only that.

I would like to give one posthumously to " ISABEL LA CATOLICA". In my view she´s one of the grestest woman all over the time

• 62. At 2:34pm on 09 Jun 2011, universal translator wrote:

I would to award my best girlfriend who gave me so many things special and that changed my life definitely.

• 63. At 2:37pm on 09 Jun 2011, lino_canepari wrote:

I would most certainly thank my parents but as for the award I would give it to two people.
      First to Gutenberg for inventing the printing press, one of the most useful invention in human history.
      Second to the forteenth century writer Christine de Pizan for being the first woman to write about women's dignity and women's rights.

• 64. At 6:33pm on 09 Jun 2011, smunosis wrote:

• 65. At 7:48pm on 09 Jun 2011, carlosgtmo wrote:

• 66. At 1:58pm on 10 Jun 2011, amberalvi wrote:

I despirately wish to award myself an award if i disceplined myself ;make positive approach towards life ,to be courageous to overcome problems ,without grumbling and complaining others for ones' misfortunes .In whole the a master in managing ones' time. This character will be an award for me and my family .

• 67. At 11:59pm on 12 Jun 2011, Jose Daniel Gamez Rodriguez wrote:

I would give an award to all people which are faithing strongly for the peace around the world, also I would give and award to all honesty workers, and BBC for this oportunity to leran english. It´s well method thanks.

I would give an award for all peoples with preach to Jesus Christ

• 68. At 10:59pm on 14 Jun 2011, kurmanah wrote:

I would give an award to my parent and BBC Learning English

• 69. At 01:11am on 16 Jun 2011, Chunhua Li wrote:

I want give an award to my parents , for they are always supporting me although there are serious generation gap between my father and me , and just now they take care of my little son of only six months in Lanzhou which is far away from the city I dwell.
      Next, I give an award to my husband for his love and accompanying.
      And of course , I would give an award to BBC which is my favorable net and I wish all the staff inside BBC would have wonderful lives.

Downloads