Last updated at 13:00 BST, Thursday, 05 May 2011

Hope

Every week we ask you a different question. Hear what people in London say, then join the conversation! What are you hoping for?

Click here to listen to what some people in London told us, and see the words:

Join the conversation. What are you hoping for? Use the form below.

The Express English team

This is what some people in London told us.

One man was hoping for some cake.

A student wanted a job, and her friend was hoping to finish her essay.

One man was hoping that the world would be a more just place.

Did you know?

Fact

Feeling hopeful? A rabbit's foot, a horse shoe and a four-leaved clover are all 'lucky charms' in British tradition.

Language tip

We say hope to, e.g. 'I'm hoping to finish early.'

Cultural tip

Sometimes when people hope for something nice to happen, they say 'touch wood'.

End of Section

Now tell us what you think

What are you hoping for?

Please note that we are not able to publish all comments and comments may be edited.

Comments

• 15. At 12:52pm on 06 May 2011, Majed AL Amer wrote:

I hope to get a job and to be a man(a)ger
    I hope to to be married
    I hope all the country to be in piece

[Edited by Moderator: I have made a suggestion in brackets above, to make your comment easier to understand.]

• 16. At 1:55pm on 06 May 2011, Johny Teknoscar wrote:

Hello everybody. I hope that the new film "The Hobbit" will be made fastly, and we could see it in cinemas soon!
    And of course, I hope for the peace, understanding, and dialogue in the world, mainly after the death of Bin Laden. I hope it wouldn't be more terrorist atacks in any country, anywhere, never again.

• 17. At 2:02pm on 06 May 2011, sferhat1071 wrote:

They say that if you breathe, there is always hope. On the other hand giving hope to the people, and if you know that their hope will fail, is the worst thing in the world.

• 18. At 2:20pm on 06 May 2011, bony wrote:

For the present I hope I win the competition of Kung-Fu.
    For the future I hope I'll have a nice family and a good job and I'll be happy.
    I also hope there won't be end of the world in 2012 because my favourite joghurt valid until 2013.

• 19. At 3:14pm on 06 May 2011, Deww wrote:

I hope to get a new job as a Flight Attendant.

• 20. At 4:00pm on 06 May 2011, milktea wrote:

I hope to work at BBC as a intern in August.

• 21. At 5:17pm on 06 May 2011, asmaa wrote:

I hope to have strong will to overcome my shortcomings.

• 22. At 5:35pm on 06 May 2011, Peel wrote:

I hope to lead a harmony life and the people I loved are happy :)

• 23. At 6:06pm on 06 May 2011, lorenabrittes wrote:

I hope to be fluent in English soon

• 24. At 9:20pm on 06 May 2011, maher sheikh wrote:

I hope to get good care in all sides and goverment donot compelle me to thinking all times how to get honesty life.

• 25. At 10:51pm on 06 May 2011, Miona wrote:

I hope to become a dentist in the U.S.

• 26. At 03:06am on 07 May 2011, castleontheriver wrote:

Like very personal thing, I feel me very sad when I see dogs without home in the streets of the South America ‘s great cities. I would hope that dogs, cats, horses, they would be more protected by states and people, and thus they could have better lives.

• 27. At 05:59am on 07 May 2011, anupom wrote:

I like Jenny's comment and there is nothing wonderful than exploring the meaning of life. Have you developed any methodology in order to understand the meaning of life and according to your understanding you will make your life meaningful.
    How and where have you started your journey?

• 28. At 08:06am on 07 May 2011, mala wrote:

I hope to get married this year and be happy in peaceful world . I wish everyone to get their hopes.

• 29. At 08:47am on 07 May 2011, Edward wrote:

I think hope that is important for all the people from different work of life in this world. My hope is going to speak English fluently and also to further enhance and augment my English language skill in all aspects. I wish that I can speak fairly well of my spoken English and to have a good command of English knowledge in near future. Certainly, I hope all the people from over the world will be lived in peace, happily ever after and as well as tolerant, regardless of what kind of race he or she from. Thanks to BBC for giving me this good opportunity to join conversation.

• 30. At 11:10am on 07 May 2011, Ali_Msk wrote:

I hope to pass summer exams perfectly.

• 31. At 3:30pm on 07 May 2011, sherin Elhaddad wrote:

I hope to successed in my life .hope is what make us alife, what make us continue the life and bear it's daily pain .i'm always say that is with no hope nolife . the most important thing that i'm realy hoping for that is to find my soulmate

• 32. At 3:48pm on 07 May 2011, naoki wrote:

I hope to get a better score on my TOEFL coming in 2 weeks!!

• 33. At 3:50pm on 07 May 2011, nhocpai wrote:

I hope it's not too hot anymore in my city.
    I hope the price of diesel in my country will decrease.
    I hope to be harder in study.

• 34. At 6:21pm on 07 May 2011, moutaz wrote:

i hope if i can travel to my country (Palestine), i have never been there until now, i have 27 years old,thats what i hope.
    thank you.

• 35. At 8:12pm on 07 May 2011, amer wrote:

I hope Chelsea are gonna win tomorow, and I hope I ll improve my English which is very baaaad xD

• 36. At 9:18pm on 07 May 2011, Jordão wrote:

I hope to keep my English up-to-date with BBC. Besides, I have the same hope as the last speaker in the video: that the world can be a better place to live. As a consequence, I hope people can take more care of the nature; I hope people can give an end to poverty; I hope countries stop declaring war against each other with the purpose of getting more powerful (either economically or politically)…

• 37. At 03:09am on 08 May 2011, anna_nguyen wrote:

I'm still a student, but I'm very ambitious. I'm a money-lover also. I hope i will find a good job with a high salary which i really love ( but till now i still don't know exactly what i want =.= ) . Then i'll build a large beautiful house for my own family, by a car and give my mom and dad money as much as then want,, so won't have to worry about making ends meet any more. Try my best :)

• 38. At 04:07am on 08 May 2011, saltdust wrote:

I hope to be accepted in medicine school and to..oh forget it!

• 39. At 10:07am on 08 May 2011, shosha wrote:

I hope that every one live in a peace, that for my country and I hpoe the conflicts and disputes gets out of Sudan.

• 40. At 12:30pm on 08 May 2011, Azin wrote:

I hope to change my work so soon. I suppose after 6 years working in one place, it`s really necessary to change my work to confront with new conditions. Although changing the job has risk, but i think, risk is one of the important elements of a successful life.

• 41. At 12:54pm on 08 May 2011, Neus wrote:

Hello everybody
    I have some desires for the future, I want to do:
    I’m hoping to learn good English speaking. I would like to travel around the Europe when I have the necessary language skills.

• 42. At 1:11pm on 08 May 2011, Ji wrote:

I hope I can have a good break. I hope my son grows healthy and gots good education. I hope poverty will be rooted out some day, and everyone is smiling. Everyone is polite to each other. Everyone is eco-friendly. I am daydreaming?

• 43. At 1:57pm on 08 May 2011, Arancina wrote:

Hello hopeful friends!!
    Hope is what gives human beings the interior strenght to go on in their things and not to get discouraged. It's the best that nature reserved us to believe in what we do and to make us better people. For myself, I hope to pass an important exam the next month (I touch wood!) and to have a beautiful family in the future. For the world, I hope for a righter allocation of resources and for more tolerance.

• 44. At 2:45pm on 08 May 2011, Kevin Choi wrote:

I hope the world will have true peace.
    Let's fight for it everyone.

• 45. At 2:50pm on 08 May 2011, Ryan Chong wrote:

I certainly hope that what I had believed is real.

• 46. At 3:11pm on 08 May 2011, Josi wrote:

Hopes make people to be great. If someone has hopes in his mind, he will strive for them. During the process of stirving for, they work hard, they try their best to achieve the goal and fulfill hope. So they become themselves progress finally. In other words, hopes can enrich human's life and make life more meaningful.

• 47. At 3:47pm on 08 May 2011, bubble_blue wrote:

Next 2 months I hope my boss will accept me to this job...then next 3 years I hope to be married with someone I love :)

• 48. At 9:54pm on 08 May 2011, mari78 wrote:

I hope that Italy would be again a credible country after 15 years of modern middle age.

• 49. At 03:44am on 09 May 2011, Annie wrote:

I hope to get Working Holiday visa in New Zealand .

• 50. At 05:57am on 09 May 2011, sella wrote:

I hope that everyone will have a peaceful life.

• 51. At 06:19am on 09 May 2011, tranthinh wrote:

i hope that i could find a good job and make a lot off money.
    i hope for married and love
    i hope for all the world living in peacefull and healthy and happyness

• 52. At 08:00am on 09 May 2011, AnonyMonster wrote:

I'm hoping to know if I would say "I'm hoping to" or "I'm hoping for".
    I suppose it is "for" when it's used with a noun, and "to" when it's used with a verb. Isn't it?

• 53. At 09:15am on 09 May 2011, jpukg wrote:

I am hoping to travel UK in coming months.

• 54. At 09:20am on 09 May 2011, jpukg wrote:

I am hoping my country will control corruption and become a good place to live

• 55. At 10:28am on 09 May 2011, NadyainFaith wrote:

I hope I can get a new job which can support me to do something good for 1000 children. If I can have a little bit fun from it will be much better. Now I am working on it.

• 56. At 12:09pm on 09 May 2011, crystal wrote:

I am hoping to speak English fluently because at the moment, I want to be a pharmacist in England in order to live with my kids that are studying there. It is so far from my country. Soon I hope for my family to live together. Also I am most hoping that my kids are happy there.

• 57. At 12:27pm on 09 May 2011, dryanov wrote:

ı hope to graduate from my unıversıty as fast as possıble and fınd a good job for rest of my lıfe.

• 58. At 9:05pm on 09 May 2011, francesca wrote:

I hope my kids to grove up in a good way, to be as honest and smart as his father is.

• 59. At 9:47pm on 09 May 2011, free825 wrote:

I hope i can adapt to the life in england quickly and make a happy life with my husband. Hope the world to be a better world.

• 60. At 02:32am on 10 May 2011, Rodrigo Goes wrote:

I hope that the people will be more friendly e generous. I hope that the children will be safe and will have education. I hope that myself will be better to other people every day.

• 61. At 04:09am on 10 May 2011, Chunhua Li wrote:

I hope that everybody would have a comfortable house to live together with his families happily, for I know a lot of people bear the bed habitations like my families and me. I also hope I could speak English more fluently before I could travel around the world one day...

• 62. At 04:24am on 10 May 2011, JuanVi wrote:

I am from Peru, and I'm hoping to learn English very well and someday travel to England!

• 63. At 04:26am on 10 May 2011, seftalimurat wrote:

I hope I will pass the FCE exam,because it's too important for me.I am hoping that the wars would finish all over the world.

• 64. At 05:36am on 10 May 2011, Nancham wrote:

As we are living, we always have a hope. But what we are doing can make our hope become reality or not, it depends on ourself. Whether we are trying hard to reach our goal.

For me, I have been learning since a child, I always hope which day I can speak English fluently. until now I just speak a little, but I never think that I will give up my hope. You know yourself than others. If we have hope we have a way to walk forward.

• 65. At 2:57pm on 10 May 2011, hind wrote:

to day i hope to succes in driving test that i going to pass it tomorow;and i hope to speak english like native speakers.

• 66. At 6:52pm on 10 May 2011, Daria_Green wrote:

I hope to get MA and to move to Europe for teaching Russian as a foreign language.

• 67. At 8:56pm on 10 May 2011, Jose Daniel Gamez Rodriguez wrote:

Hope is god, my hope is going to Canada again ummm I love this country. My hope is I will be bilingual english-spanish. I hope in my country change to better in 2010, and all things could be better. I hope will have 3 child. I hope can to travel to many places around the world[Unsuitable/Broken URL removed by Moderator] and to know Brasil, Mexico, Paris, Israel, Greece, Italy , Spain, Turkey, Cyprus, Egypt, England, etc, etc. When we have hope we feel live, only when you die you stop keep up hope.

The Hope is well [Edited by a moderator to make it easier to understand]

• 68. At 9:11pm on 10 May 2011, Nilesh Devalia wrote:

I hope to get my visa....sooon

• 69. At 9:35pm on 10 May 2011, vngantran wrote:

I hope I will achieve the best in my activities. I hope I have enough spirit and courage so that I won't give up and dare to face things up. I hope my parents to be healthy. I hope to make friend with the one I would like. Finally, I hope the world will be a better place and happiness comes to every one.

• 70. At 10:01pm on 10 May 2011, marco wrote:

I hope to have more time to improve my english with bbclearningenglish. For Italy I hope for a better future because the present is impossible to sustain.

• 71. At 12:45pm on 11 May 2011, SokoL wrote:

I hope to earn Master's degree.
    I hope to find my place under the sun )
    I hope to develop my mind better and better )
    I hope that world would be better in future toward nature and nature would be tolerant toward people._)

• 72. At 4:02pm on 11 May 2011, Patrick Ouyang wrote:

Hope is the most important thing to human being. I hope to get a meaningful and happy life.

• 73. At 5:27pm on 11 May 2011, Ye Shiwei wrote:

Well,passing of the CET6(one particular exam in China short for College English Test),having passed the cet4,it has been definitely boring to wait for the coming CET6,I mean,it was just held twice a year.and, this is my latest objective.I speculate I'll achive it due to long-time efforts.
    moreover,I also hope every one I met in my life could be happy and lucky every day.

• 74. At 9:37pm on 11 May 2011, Nadezhda wrote:

At that moment I'm single...
    I hope to be married and happy women :-)

• 75. At 10:55pm on 11 May 2011, Faversani wrote:

I'm hoping for learning English!

• 76. At 12:22pm on 12 May 2011, Eva wrote:

I hope to fly to Germany soon, waiting for my VISA

Evanglin :-)

• 77. At 3:05pm on 12 May 2011, Oksana wrote:

I hope my family will be healthy and happy.
    Hope to be in wonderful mood and be useful for people.
    Hope to be a princess in my life, to be lovely and in love.
    Hope to see my darling son Michael every morning, every day and every night.
    Goodluck for everyone an for me!

• 78. At 4:26pm on 12 May 2011, tolearn wrote:

I hope greatly to a famous writer...

• 79. At 5:20pm on 12 May 2011, rhino wrote:

I hope to live in UK, get good job and happy life.

• 80. At 5:58pm on 12 May 2011, Oktawiusz wrote:

I hope to visit London soon!

• 81. At 9:54pm on 12 May 2011, melgarja wrote:

I hope my family healthy, I hope my kids always smile and my country become a secur(e) place, I hope the next September we will have an (ethical) government.

[Edited by Moderator: I have made some suggestions in brackets to make your message a little clearer. ]

• 82. At 10:27pm on 12 May 2011, Yosua wrote:

I hope to be able to finish my internship project in time.

• 83. At 10:58pm on 12 May 2011, Htc12 wrote:

what i'm hoping for .. i pass my exams with high marks and to graduate from my college ... nice topic

• 84. At 01:27am on 13 May 2011, Diego Bernal wrote:

I hope that the world can create a new sistem where you can change current money for good actions.
    I hope we can balance quantity and quality, west thinking and east thinking.
    I hope good dreams being realities.
    I hope the creation of a new sistem where exists maximum salary or incomes for every one.

• 85. At 02:50am on 13 May 2011, weilin wrote:

I am hoping to set up a new company of my own.I hope to run business well and have good relationship with my clients.I do not hope to earn lots of profit but enough money for me to live and expand.I want to do something interesting even if i will be very busy.

• 86. At 7:07pm on 13 May 2011, Bahar wrote:

I hope to get a scholarship ....

• 87. At 03:05am on 14 May 2011, Mina Philip H Goubrial wrote:

It's really so important to have a hope in your life and to try to reach it. I think, if people live without hope in what will happen in the future, they will be always worried. I hope for every one in the world to have the peace of mind. I hope too to be all the world to believe in Jesus Christ.

• 88. At 3:38pm on 14 May 2011, Mr Wilson wrote:

I've been studying English for long time and I hope one day I will be truly proficient.
    I hope for everyone a great weekend.

• 89. At 10:56am on 15 May 2011, MoonlightSoul wrote:

I hope to meet my soulmate and be happy with him, God willing!

• 90. At 10:58am on 15 May 2011, Nelli wrote:

I am hoping for successful presentation of my project.
    I hope to complete my PhD and find a good job.
    I hope for good health and my family will be happy.

• 91. At 7:54pm on 15 May 2011, nourita9 wrote:

I hope to finish my formation and I to get a job us a member of cabin crew in air company

• 92. At 8:12pm on 15 May 2011, Tânia Ramíres wrote:

I hope to start my personal project for open my business in Information Technology area.

• 93. At 09:02am on 16 May 2011, hoangyen_mar wrote:

I hope I can find a good job now, I can earn a lot of money to help my parent and especial I can help children poor in my country to us can go to shool

• 94. At 10:12am on 16 May 2011, Badr wrote:

About hope I think to the film ‘Shawshank Redemption ’one of my favorites

• 95. At 4:14pm on 16 May 2011, Yacine81 wrote:

I hope to get new job soon and start a new life

• 96. At 10:13am on 17 May 2011, Grace Ha wrote:

I am in love, and I hope we have enough money for our wedding.

• 97. At 11:33am on 18 May 2011, megan wrote:

I'm just hoping for the reconstruction of the northern coast of Japan where affected by massive tsunami and earthquake on 11th March.

• 98. At 5:24pm on 18 May 2011, uraeus wrote:

I hope to have a child an I want to chance my job.

• 99. At 08:58am on 19 May 2011, Yaourt wrote:

I hope to be billionaire... He he. I'm just joking. I hope to go onsite in UK to visit London and have a change to meet Chelsea FC.

• 100. At 1:55pm on 19 May 2011, Pipis wrote:

I hope to speak English fleuntly too :-)

• 101. At 5:04pm on 19 May 2011, mimijune wrote:

I hope my family always stays in a good health. Just simple !

• 102. At 09:17am on 20 May 2011, abdelmageed kheiry wrote:

Am hoping (for) a... (nuclear)-free world

[Edited by Moderator: I think you mean to say 'nuclear' so I have included it in your message. ]

• 103. At 8:54pm on 21 May 2011, reafonso148 wrote:

I´m hoping to find a new love and finish my master degree! Good lucky for all.

• 104. At 1:29pm on 22 May 2011, Yulia wrote:

I hope to speak English fluently.
    I hope to buy a car soon.
    I hope to go to Cyprus this autumn on my vacation.

• 105. At 3:49pm on 22 May 2011, ghazal wrote:

I hope I can speak English fluently

• 106. At 3:01pm on 24 May 2011, stevenchou wrote:

I hope i can be a pop star and i hope i have a better relationship with my family.

• 107. At 11:33am on 25 May 2011, rouaa wrote:

I have so many hopes :
    I hopes grow up my kids very will
    I hope learn English quickly
    the more important hope that I make every things I want it in my life

• 108. At 1:15pm on 26 May 2011, Natalia wrote:

I hope my son is going to live long happy life. I hope my exs-husbund will repent one day about what he had done to me and our son. I hope one day I'll have money for treating my disease. I hope one day everybody become happy!

• 109. At 03:36am on 31 May 2011, love you 12 wrote:

i hope i can change myself now. not lazy, sleepy .just more confident ,believe in mysefl more.
    do my goals as the best of mine. i hope i can.

• 110. At 12:53pm on 04 Jun 2011, Kloy wrote:

I hope that I'll be able to pass the oral part of my most important exam in this semester. I'm an English major at the PPKE in Hungary, and I've learned a whole bunch of things and tryed and will try to do my best, though I still only hope that I'll pass.
    My mother said: You can't afford yourself not passing. She is right ^^ - cross your fingers for me!

• 111. At 4:08pm on 12 Jun 2011, lobato84 wrote:

Hi! I'm from spain, and I hope to pass the Certificate in Advanced English examination as soon as posible; thanks to bbclearningenglish.com

• 112. At 3:02pm on 15 Jun 2011, Dorafong wrote:

I hope anything to be perfect.
    I hope to come back 17 years old.
    I hope travel in the world.

• 113. At 2:24pm on 16 Jun 2011, krichhariya83 wrote:

Now I am facing crisis in my life what I earn have to pay for bank in installment. I have much credit and having no money and still i have hope the day will come soon when I would have money, money that would be my own. I will work hard because I know that I have to prove myself to my family and for many those around me.

• 114. At 2:27pm on 16 Jun 2011, krichhariya83 wrote:

I know that if situation is beyond from your hand. but stand and face the problem, never loss your confident. I hope the day will come soon when I may live happily...

Downloads