Last updated at 10:03 GMT, Tuesday, 17 December 2013

Honesty

Every week we ask you a different question. Hear what people in London say, then join the conversation! How important is honesty to you? Is it ever okay to be dishonest?

Click here to listen to what some people in London told us, and see the words:

Join the conversation. How important is honesty to you? Is it ever okay to be dishonest? Use the form below.

The Express English team

This is what some people in London told us.

Some people were sure that honesty was important. Being honest with people builds trust.

One woman said lying always backfires. Another said that people can rely on you, when you're honest.

But when asked 'Is it ever okay to be dishonest?' several people felt it was a good thing to tell 'white lies' sometimes. White lies can stop people feeling hurt. As one woman says, you can be overly honest!

Did you know?

Fact

We often think we can tell whether someone is lying. However, research has shown that we're not really good at spotting a liar.

Language tip

We say 'tell the truth' not 'say the truth.'

Cultural tip

In Britain, a lot of people believe that used car salesmen and estate agents are more dishonest than other people!

This Express English was originally published in 2011.

End of Section

Now tell us what you think

Comments are now closed.

Comments

or register to comment.

  • 26. At 5:32pm on 30 Apr 2011, Helen wrote:

    I know a lot of people who tell lies in everyday life. They lie to their bosses, friends and wives or husbands. It is their way of life. They think that their lie helps them to avoid difficult situations. Eventually nobody trusts them even if they tell the truth.

    Complain about this comment

  • 27. At 02:55am on 01 May 2011, Josi wrote:

    Honesty is the most important personal character. We should be honest to the objects as below:
    First is oneself. Be honest to what you say and what you do. I mean that words should coinside with deeds for someone. Secondary is family. We should be honest to our family unconditionally.
    Then, if we want to make good friend with someone, honesty will make friends trust each other.
    The last one is work. Try your best to finish your work. Don't finish them perfunctorily.

    Complain about this comment

  • 28. At 03:17am on 01 May 2011, PCardoso wrote:

    I think to be honest is a very good behavior. You are honest, you are good egg.

    Complain about this comment

  • 29. At 03:29am on 01 May 2011, Dave wrote:

    I preffer people who are honest (even brutally honest) than others who lie

    Complain about this comment

  • 30. At 5:33pm on 01 May 2011, FernandaCarvalho wrote:

    I believe being honesty should not be a choice, but an obligation that we assume with ourselves. For sure, being honest does not mean being rude, by telling everything you consider right or wrong, on the contrary, we need to be kind to others, too.

    Complain about this comment

  • 31. At 03:13am on 02 May 2011, Sean wrote:

    It is important to be honest with your friends. Then you can have a successful friendship.

    Complain about this comment

  • 32. At 05:38am on 02 May 2011, cutie wrote:

    Honesty is very important for me.

    I don't like people tell lie and will alienate the friends whose tlie
    so I tell the truth always.
    but sometime, the truth quite hurt and sad,so I'll say it mildly.

    Complain about this comment

  • 33. At 10:45am on 02 May 2011, Badr wrote:

    Hi
    I remember a story about “Honesty”:
    They had some friends on the beach, one among them entered a little deeper than the others in the sea, and pretended to drown, his friends see him, and hurried to save him, but discovered then that he has played a joke on them. The following day the same boy as he was swimming wounded his foot in a rock this time he was drowning for good, he asked for help of all his strengths from his friends, they believed that he lies them again, no one came to his aide and he drowned.

    Complain about this comment

  • 34. At 10:54am on 02 May 2011, codename3 wrote:

    I think It's very important. You should be honest if you want to build the trust and have certain relationship. But sometime, honesty isn't good idea, honesty brings against expected result because honesty might hurt the people who you care about so sometime telling little white lie is better. But honesty is still fundamental to build long-term relationship and certain relationship .

    Complain about this comment

  • 35. At 11:11am on 02 May 2011, junior english wrote:

    honesty is like a key.but not all the doors could be open.
    dishonesty is like a lock.a few doors must be locked.

    Complain about this comment

  • 36. At 12:48pm on 02 May 2011, saeed wrote:

    I agree with an opinon for person he said when you are honest for littel thing you will be honest for big thing but some times you shoud be dishonest to prevent hurting other peoples

    Complain about this comment

  • 37. At 2:35pm on 02 May 2011, dolly49 wrote:

    I think honesty is the best policy. It improves confidence and gives power to face the truth. But sometimes it is better to tell a white lie to not hurt anyone.

    Complain about this comment

  • 38. At 3:17pm on 02 May 2011, jenny wrote:

    I think honesty is very important to build trust. However, there are times that we should tell lies. For example, I cannot transfer the line to my supervisor as requested by an unreasonable customer. We should not get used to tell lies, it's not a good habit. Besides, it would be misused the trust by others and let them down if we just lie for all unimportant matters.

    Complain about this comment

  • 39. At 3:38pm on 02 May 2011, crystal wrote:

    It is important for me to be honest. I dislike the person that tell a lie. To be dishonest to other people means that it is not cheating other people but cheating myself. There is no conscience to them. Dishonesty is a kind of habit, so sometimes I don't allow people to tell a white lie.

    Complain about this comment

  • 40. At 6:19pm on 02 May 2011, mivscn wrote:

    I think , Honesty is the most important think on the world.

    Complain about this comment

  • 41. At 6:49pm on 02 May 2011, hltung wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 42. At 00:53am on 03 May 2011, Minh wrote:

    I think honesty is always good and i'm a honest man, but sometime in many cases i have to be dishonest to not hurt people i love such as my father, he had a lung cancer, so i shoudn't tell him the truth.

    Complain about this comment

  • 43. At 1:25pm on 03 May 2011, Azin wrote:

    In my opinion, best policy in the life is honesty. when you are honest, you live easily and happily. Although sometimes white lies is Inevitable.

    Complain about this comment

  • 44. At 3:07pm on 03 May 2011, Jose Daniel Gamez Rodriguez wrote:

    Hello,

    In my opinion honesty is so important when I to made relation ship with other people. Every one would be totally honest. Not lie will be in a trust person. When you don´t have any hidden thing you came be a honesty and trustworthy person. Honesty is a quality in the job which nowday is relevant and important for all companies.

    I like that my friends are honesty amoung all and we can tell each one with transparency

    Complain about this comment

  • 45. At 5:42pm on 03 May 2011, Esteban wrote:

    My opinion is: Honesty is one of the most important values for the people and is the best way to mantain good relationships with other people into the family, friends.

    Complain about this comment

  • 46. At 6:56pm on 03 May 2011, Cristina Baird wrote:

    Honesty is the best policy a person can have.
    How can you trust someone who lies, covers the truth or deceives you? I think lack of honesty is the greatest transgression...
    I could never trust a person who tells lies.
    You have to be honest all the time!

    Complain about this comment

  • 47. At 05:30am on 04 May 2011, Vivek S Panicker wrote:

    Honesty is really important. It is a part of one's attitude. But being honest always may hurt some. It is okay to lie if our truth may hurt others or their feelings.

    Complain about this comment

  • 48. At 06:53am on 04 May 2011, melodysj wrote:

    honest is very important like the people said in the program.on the other hand, it is hardly possible to require someone to keep honesty at any time. sometimes people have to lie in order to petect myself or make someone feel better. it doesn't matter what kind of the lie. white lie or not you must lernen to adapt it. perhaps many of people could thought that my opinion is not acceptable. anyway i just express the truth what i experienced.

    Complain about this comment

  • 49. At 08:52am on 04 May 2011, erik_e wrote:

    I think honesty is a key of success which people needed to pass their life, because honesty is one of easiest, simplest, and understandable language in the world that can be applied in all situation, as long as not disturbed by personal motives. That's way I don't agree to be dishonest even for small thing or white lies, because it will bring me to the habitual condition.

    By the way, there is a quote in my country that said, "Dead elephant leaves the ivory, dead tiger leaves the stripe, dead man leaves the memory (nice or bad)".

    Complain about this comment

  • 50. At 12:31pm on 04 May 2011, Edward wrote:

    Yes, I am completely agree that honestly is pretty important for humanity nowadays. When you are doing something honestly, those people outside there will be treated you back as well as what we have done for them. However, we have not to tell a true sometimes as it is going to ruin our life when if we told honestly. Anyway, it is depending the situation what we have encounter ultimately. Thanks.

    Complain about this comment

  • 51. At 1:25pm on 04 May 2011, shosha wrote:

    Honesty it means the life and relation between people in one community.

    Complain about this comment

  • 52. At 2:16pm on 04 May 2011, khaledmystyle wrote:

    Honesty happens to be the BEST way!

    Complain about this comment

  • 53. At 2:42pm on 04 May 2011, kirsti wrote:

    Hi,

    Like the majority of the contributors of this thread, I share the idea of honesty being something highly important to me. However, I prefer by far notorious liars to goody-goody people hiding themselves behind vague pretexts. I think inveterate liars might be known as such, so one can expect them to tell a pack of lies, and I think that they anyhow know they are lying, whereas the goody-goody guys might even deceive themselves.

    Complain about this comment

  • 54. At 4:48pm on 04 May 2011, Liubasha wrote:

    In my view people always have to tell the truth. How one can do it is another question. I think that if you don't want to hurt your friend or other person saying something which can be unpleasant, you hurt your friend because may be somebody else will tell it a little bit later.

    Complain about this comment

  • 55. At 7:14pm on 04 May 2011, robiii wrote:

    Honesty is an important value in our society . It consists in saying always the truth . Some people can rely on you if you are always honest . In my opinionn there are a lot of honesty examples : an intellectual honesty when a student tells the teacher not to have done homework or honesty as we intend . Our personallity reflect also our dignity . But i believe that the difficulty is in chosing the right moment to be honest. A very short lie can save a relationship or a friendship . I think that being honest is not telling always the truth but telling a truth that for us is very appropriate . So it's difficult because we have to choose the right moment and use the appropriate or right words in particular not to hurt a person .

    Complain about this comment

  • 56. At 8:19pm on 04 May 2011, Luciana wrote:

    Honesty is important for all of us! It´s a base from any relationship, we develop trust being honest!
    But at the same time i also believe that, we have several ways to be honest with somebody! Sometimes we have to be careful with the words, saying the truth with prudence for not to hurting the other person, as some interviewees said "white lie".

    Complain about this comment

  • 57. At 10:06pm on 04 May 2011, torpi wrote:

    Honesty is very important to win the trust of people.

    Complain about this comment

  • 58. At 01:19am on 05 May 2011, Jordão wrote:

    I'm absolutely certain that honesty is always the better option. It means that actions such as the followings are (or at least should be) always left out from somebody's life: borrowing someone's money and don't giving it back; buying something and don't paying for it; telling a lie just to get benefited from it, etc.
    I would disagree with one of our Londoners in what concerns the backfiring of lies. In fact, there are lies which are very consistent, with "a very solid base", which means that they can hardly be discovered. However, I think a lier has generally a feeling of guilt, and blame himself in many moments of his life - and I'm sure that's the price dishonest people pay.
    I agree with those who feel it's a good thing to tell a white lie sometimes.

    Complain about this comment

  • 59. At 2:04pm on 05 May 2011, vngantran wrote:

    I highly value honesty and want myself to be a honest person. And I also want my friends to be honest to me.
    But I know sometimes it isn't as good as you think. As life is a play, where people take their roles, this means you have to KNOW to be dishonest at a time and at a level accepted. As long as your dishonesty doesn't have negative impacts on others, it's OK to be dishonest if needed.
    Anyway, remember this saying for any situation :" If you don't know what to say, say the truth".

    Complain about this comment

  • 60. At 3:58pm on 05 May 2011, souad wrote:

    Ithink that bieng honest is some thing good.Honesty is something important to build a good life

    Complain about this comment

  • 61. At 7:42pm on 05 May 2011, Daniel wrote:

    I think the people should be honestly but that it's impossible, I try to said always the true but in some occasion it was so difficult. I hate the people are dishonest

    Complain about this comment

  • 62. At 8:31pm on 05 May 2011, c4c1 wrote:

    I prefer to know honesty human beings rather than beauty or wealthy people.

    Complain about this comment

  • 63. At 1:58pm on 06 May 2011, sarahloulou wrote:

    honesty is the most beautiful thing in the world

    Complain about this comment

  • 64. At 2:09pm on 06 May 2011, sferhat1071 wrote:

    I don't want to be perceived as a pessimistic person by others, but honesty seems to be an illusion.

    I think being honest and remaining as a honest person is difficult. Generally you face with dishonest people and it is not easy to keep your honesty.

    Complain about this comment

  • 65. At 9:22pm on 07 May 2011, John wrote:

    Everyone should be honest. But the fact is that nobody is.

    Complain about this comment

  • 66. At 00:00am on 08 May 2011, Ji wrote:

    I agree that honesty is important. However, to be honest is not wise at certain situation. We have to tell a lie to avoid hurting others.

    Complain about this comment

  • 67. At 03:56am on 08 May 2011, Yusheng wrote:

    "Honesty is surely the best policy."
    But, there is always a "but".
    You are a grown-up now.
    Nothing on the society is quite simple to just make a decision between honesty and dishonesty.

    Complain about this comment

  • 68. At 2:56pm on 08 May 2011, Erika64FR wrote:

    Hello.
    I think honesty is a basic moral law in a democratic society. Constructive exchanges cannot exist without confidence because we all need to trust people.
    But now I also consider that telling the truth does not mean telling everything you think, but actually and always think what you are saying.
    Yet at times, in some special cases, a little white lie may be necessary in order to avoid to hurt someone.
    So long.
    Erika

    Complain about this comment

  • 69. At 3:34pm on 10 May 2011, sella wrote:

    I think honesty is the most important character in life. It is also a basic to built the good relations, especially in love and friendship. If you treat someone sincerely, he will trust and come to you with all his heart.
    I also agree that dishonesty is the good thing when people use "white lies". There are many reasons to do it: lying to hide something, lying to make excuse, lying to make someone fell good, lying to avoid sharing bad news.

    Complain about this comment

  • 70. At 01:50am on 13 May 2011, Diego Bernal wrote:

    I think the honesty, could change the world.
    I ask me a question. If we all agree with be honest, why the world is full of dishonesty?

    Complain about this comment

  • 71. At 2:24pm on 13 May 2011, tadotti wrote:

    As Italian I am very sad when politicians don't consider honesty one of the most important quality for them to possess.

    Complain about this comment

  • 72. At 5:24pm on 13 May 2011, Hadia wrote:

    I agree with what the people say but its really very difficult to find it out in others, besides we can do one thing and that is to be honest at our part while not expecting too much from others.

    Complain about this comment

  • 73. At 3:45pm on 14 May 2011, Mr Wilson wrote:

    Being honesty is more important than everything special when it comes to your family.

    Complain about this comment

  • 74. At 09:22am on 19 May 2011, Yaourt wrote:

    Being honest with other people is very important. Being honest with other people builds trust. And being dishonest prevent hurting other people who are stress, upset, and dissapointed

    Complain about this comment

  • 75. At 12:24pm on 22 May 2011, Yulia wrote:

    In my veiw the honesty is one of the most important qualities of human being. I really appriciate honest people. And I'm always trying to be honest. But sometimes I can afford white lie in order not to hurt people' feelings who I really care.

    Complain about this comment

  • 76. At 1:25pm on 03 Jun 2011, Naina wrote:

    As for me, I agree with people, honesty is very important thing in relationhips between people. Acoording to the writer, Carnegie Andrew, an honest man is the noblest work of God. It's necessary to be honest.

    Complain about this comment

  • 77. At 4:47pm on 02 Apr 2012, Nicole wrote:

    In my opinion, to be honest is totally important with building a basic trust between people, and it is polite to be honest.

    Without honesty, there's nothing we can believe in the world!

    Complain about this comment

  • 78. At 01:01am on 03 Apr 2012, FERNANDO LAZARINI wrote:

    Car salesmen and real estate agents do lie, specially in my country.

    Complain about this comment

  • 79. At 01:24am on 03 Apr 2012, Carolina wrote:

    I believe honesty is quite a complicated thing. I personally prefer to always tell the truth, not even white lies "to avoid hurting others" cause I think it's more important to let the others know what's really going on instead of hiding the real feelings or facts.
    But, usually the people who surround me, especially at work, they tend to make things look different and unfortunately that hurts me much more than being told the truth.
    I mean, when you blunt person, even when you're talking about things which aren't necessarily nice, the straightforwardness will always lead you somewhere good, cause that way you can try and patch up the things you dislike, try to solve the problems...

    That's my own point of view anyway...!

    Complain about this comment

  • 80. At 01:25am on 03 Apr 2012, Saprina wrote:

    My parents always teach me to be a honest person in society.Honesty can improve my image in others' mind. When the people around you trust your behavior and speaking , you will be very happy and be respected by them.
    However, dishonest people is not welcome in a credit world. Maybe they will cheat others successfully at the first time, but never the second time.

    Complain about this comment

  • 81. At 01:42am on 03 Apr 2012, DY Kim wrote:

    Honesty is with most important thing with people's relationship, especially with couples. Honesty with boyfriend and girlfriend make more dear and truth relationship and that makes their love strengthen. Sometimes white lie may be necessary. I sometimes don't tell The truth that may be better not to know for someone. This case may include to tell patient who has malignant cancer that you are ok and you will be better.

    Complain about this comment

  • 82. At 02:56am on 03 Apr 2012, JobsBro wrote:

    Well... i shouldn't say that being honest is always going to bring a good result like someone said in the video, "it backfires". This totally works specially between couples. Sometimes they shouldn't tell their past to each other. That will only hurt each others feelings. So the wise way to prevent this from happening is to just keep it to yourself. Don't be so honest about everything.

    Complain about this comment

  • 83. At 03:02am on 03 Apr 2012, tony wrote:

    I think that honest is the most important things in a person's life.

    Complain about this comment

  • 84. At 03:14am on 03 Apr 2012, Fangfang Zhong wrote:

    Honest is important, but I think sometimes we also need to say white lies. Yeah, I do that

    Complain about this comment

  • 85. At 03:48am on 03 Apr 2012, nindeleia wrote:

    Honesty ALWAYS is important. We can´t wait other people tell the truth to us if we don´t tell the truth. However, lying is recurrent within humans, but no normal, I think... indeed, a lot of people lies because they think it is better occasionally, as a woman said: "truth will actually hurt people more than the lie! I don´t agree with white lies ("mentiras piadosas" in América), there are other ways to tell the truth.

    Complain about this comment

  • 86. At 05:31am on 03 Apr 2012, shymaa166 wrote:

    For me honesty is the power and the strength of personality as people often lie when they are afraid of telling the truth and don't have the guts of confrontation.Also, when they are incapable of doing something like showy people.I always believe in "honesty is the best policy",however; white lies could be the best policy when I try to avoid embarrassment of hurt to me and people as well.

    Complain about this comment

  • 87. At 08:41am on 03 Apr 2012, winterinrain wrote:

    very important for me .

    Complain about this comment

  • 88. At 09:17am on 03 Apr 2012, shwarrinna wrote:

    For me, honesty is very important not only in relationship but also in every aspect of life. If a person fails to show honesty then i can't respect that person. If I experience that a shopkeeper was dishonest about his/her product then I never go back to him/her for service. I always try to be honest, but sometimes in some exceptional situations i can not maintain 100% honesty, that gives me a lot of pain. But yes, sometimes it is alright to be a little bit dishonest! Like, if your family / friends want to give you a surprise and you know it earlier then a little bit of acting to be surprised will not be bad at all!

    Complain about this comment

  • 89. At 09:36am on 03 Apr 2012, Vera_Kuzub wrote:

    In my opinion to be honest with other people is very important. But sometimes you should lie. There not any person who always say trust.

    Complain about this comment

  • 90. At 10:12am on 03 Apr 2012, Yasemin wrote:

    I think being honest is very important thing for people.Because other people rely on the honests.Honesty is the most necessary in the earth.

    Complain about this comment

  • 91. At 10:35am on 03 Apr 2012, ivipin wrote:

    It's OK,that you need to be honest to get the people trust you.But,this feature may lend you in trouble;for,peole may start you taking for granted;and cosequentially can break you trust.For that,one should use his/her discretion to the good effect.Although,honesty is the best policy to follow,yet,at times we can take well judged exceptions which suit in the salvage of some difficult situations.

    Complain about this comment

  • 92. At 2:44pm on 03 Apr 2012, pham quang hai wrote:

    there's a song 'honesty'. it's all honest about.

    Complain about this comment

  • 93. At 10:42pm on 03 Apr 2012, Juan wrote:

    I believe honesty is a great value. It`s important in our society be honest wih people who is around us. When we are honest, I think any activity (personal or in the work) it`s easy to do. Sometimes we believe we are perfect, and we aren´t. We have the Right to make any mistake, most important is learn about it. In some occasion the truth could be hurt some one, for that it's so important how or the way we express our opinion.

    Complain about this comment

  • 94. At 10:59pm on 03 Apr 2012, LULU wrote:

    Hello everyone !

    For me Honesty is very important but there are some limits that one have to consider when being Honest,what I mean is that a person can be Honest and at the same time avoid hurting other people's feelings :)

    Complain about this comment

  • 95. At 08:53am on 04 Apr 2012, Hans1 wrote:

    I think it is very important to be honest. You will be honest to your family and to your friends.
    But can you be honest all the time?

    Complain about this comment

  • 96. At 2:28pm on 04 Apr 2012, TAKAH wrote:

    Honesty is the base of every relationship, for me is absolute important that I can trusted a person, honesty is for me the must important thing in live, I think that I will kill myself if other people say that they can’t trusted me as a person

    Complain about this comment

  • 97. At 3:16pm on 04 Apr 2012, castleontheriver wrote:

    In my opinion, kindness and honesty are highly desirable conditions in life of a person. However, the reality is that there is a relative goodness and a relative honesty. In any case, is the same person who feels good when know you have done an act as honestly as possible.

    Complain about this comment

  • 98. At 02:35am on 05 Apr 2012, Asup wrote:

    i think this entry is good for everyone. thanks BBC

    Complain about this comment

  • 99. At 05:14am on 05 Apr 2012, Marina wrote:

    Hello!

    I think honesty is a very important thing in relations between people. Being honesty means not to tell a lie. Of course, nowadays it's difficult always and everywhere to tell the truth. Moreover, sometimes there are situations when it's better to lie than to tell the truth in order not to hurt people's feelings. But nevertheless I think it's much better not to tell anything at all than to tell a lie because trust is difficult to gain and easy to lose. My personally idea is - honesty is the best policy.

    Marina, Russia.

    Complain about this comment

  • 100. At 06:18am on 05 Apr 2012, Shepe wrote:

    I think Honesty its to be the base our society because nowadays there are a lot of deshonest people and our world is fallen every day.

    Complain about this comment

  • 101. At 07:47am on 05 Apr 2012, salih wrote:

    For me, it is very important to be honest. Especially for the relationship, honest is the nuts and bolts of the healthy relationship for couples. From business life to family life, from social life to entertainment life, honest is crucial. Also it directly effects people's success in their life time. I think that if someone is not honest to himself, he has not self respect to himself. I mean if someone is not honest to other people, he also is not honest to himself.

    Complain about this comment

  • 102. At 08:11am on 05 Apr 2012, Kazu123 wrote:

    I think sometimes we need to say some white lie, if they can help.
    But ,all the time, honest is the best way to live and become the person that everybody can trust

    Complain about this comment

  • 103. At 09:16am on 05 Apr 2012, minyoung wrote:

    hello
    in my experience when i was caught in a lie to my parents, my parents didn't want to belive me and look shy on me even though it was trueth
    so, I think the honesty is really important in the relation with other people.

    Complain about this comment

  • 104. At 07:23am on 06 Apr 2012, PRAMOD NAYAK wrote:

    WE MUST DO EVERY TASK WITH HONESTY WHETHER IT IS LITTLE OR BIG. IN THIS WAY PEOPLE CAN RELAY ON US AND AS I PERSONALLY FEEL HONESTY IS ORIGINAL NATURE OF OUR SOUL. IT DOES NOT LIKE DISHONESTY.

    Complain about this comment

  • 105. At 7:18pm on 06 Apr 2012, TiChuot wrote:

    I think not everything is always right or wrong. Just let it be. You can never tell that dishonesty is not right or honesty is the best. Maybe in your life, there is someone you never lies to and someone you always lies to. It's up to situations, people, etc, right?

    Complain about this comment

  • 106. At 8:54pm on 06 Apr 2012, moutaz wrote:

    i think to be honest is very important as you can gain people's respect. anyway some time you have to make a white lies to save people you love.

    Complain about this comment

  • 107. At 06:04am on 07 Apr 2012, tutrinh wrote:

    of course ! honesty is very important to us.. you can not do well

    anything.. if you have a dishonesty... but depened on each

    situation to avoid hurting other people... that is not meaning as

    lie...

    Complain about this comment

  • 108. At 10:36am on 07 Apr 2012, Ashwani wrote:

    honesty should always have first perference in any circumstances, as honesty always pays...

    Complain about this comment

  • 109. At 3:29pm on 08 Apr 2012, sella wrote:

    for me, honesty is the important thing in any relationship. when i meet somebody, the first thing i want to know is whether he/she is honesty. but, in fact, it's very hard to know that thing at the first time. just, think and feel by youself, and then, day by day, you will know who is honesty with you. and another thing is also important. not only other people but also you need to be honesty with them and yourself. because, when you give someone your heart, they also give you more.
    however, sometime, a white lie is better than a truth. especially, when it is very necesssary, when you don't want to hurt somebody because some terrible reasons.
    so, let's be alert and intelligent to have more and more good things in life.

    Complain about this comment

  • 110. At 4:33pm on 08 Apr 2012, meher wrote:

    being an honest is all what life demands nowadays. when you are honest not only other people start relying on you, you too become very brave in yourself.if you tell a lie you start making your world all alone, you will end your relations.
    white lie is not the tool that makes a life happy for eternity. a truth that even may hurt can make one happy later as much as you even can't think

    Complain about this comment

  • 111. At 6:36pm on 08 Apr 2012, Safiya wrote:

    Being honest means to be trust worthy among people around you.
    To me telling a lie is not the solution to run from punishment as the rope of lies is short.

    Complain about this comment

  • 112. At 00:25am on 09 Apr 2012, Sydney wrote:

    always be honest, if you can not be honest in circumstances, keep silent instead of making lies.

    Complain about this comment

  • 113. At 12:54pm on 09 Apr 2012, jeongheekoh wrote:

    In my opinion, I think so too.
    honesty is really important but....
    we need to lie often for people's happiness!!!
    honesty maybe hard thing sometimes
    we must becareful.

    Complain about this comment

  • 114. At 12:58pm on 09 Apr 2012, jeongheekoh wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 115. At 4:22pm on 09 Apr 2012, tanya259 wrote:

    I think it is important to be honest to maintain trust,it depends on the person but sometimes it`s better to be dishonest because all trurth is not good to say.personnaly if it concerns a person close to me I must be honest to him/her even if it can hurt him/her

    Complain about this comment

  • 116. At 08:31am on 10 Apr 2012, sabo wrote:

    I think trying to be honest is very important, but actually, it is difficult. I sometimes can't tell the truth, because I don't want to be disliked or I don't want to hurt others. Both of the reason are rooted from ego, to be honest.

    Complain about this comment

  • 117. At 2:44pm on 10 Apr 2012, Jolie wrote:

    It is realy interesting topic . In my opinion , almost of us have ever been dishonesty in our life . It may be hamless others or make bad effect to others . however , if you usually be dishonesty , i sure that you won't be sucessor because honesty is the way to build trust . Therefore , school always teach our children to be honest

    Complain about this comment

  • 118. At 3:42pm on 10 Apr 2012, keti wrote:

    People divided human feelings into two groups: positive and negative. But neither of them include honesty. Almost everyone says that he prefers to deal with honest people. We have been taught since childhood, that people must  speak the truth and only the truth. There are idioms in almost every language that a half-truth is a lie. However, is everything as it seems at first sight? Lets not jump to conclusions. There are whole industries which build their business on a half-truth or even a lie. Polls are alleged that the most dishonest people are estate agents and car sellers. If you aren't proficient in lying, you can't be a successful agent. Truth is even to promote a specific cause in several occupations. For instance: ambassadors will use it as a tool to manipulate others. They must be quite adept in their expressions, otherwise they can ruin a relationship between two countries. They must mince their words.

    Complain about this comment

  • 119. At 5:34pm on 10 Apr 2012, Chipsouu wrote:

    I think is very important to be honest because people can rely of you, or they can serve you on difficult moments...and it's a proof of trust.
    But sometimes, some dishonest people could take advantage of you, in negative sense !
    It's necessary to keep a few secrets to avoid injury someone or to have a secret garden. It's not something dishonest...
    None of us has always been honest, or it's very strange...and inhumain ?!
    We lie when something suits us and it's normal =)

    Complain about this comment

  • 120. At 09:53am on 11 Apr 2012, Shujaat Ali wrote:

    In my opinion, although be honest is a tougher job, later on, it makes comfort in your life. An honest person finds his life surrounded by liars and swindlers. But his honesty is always a defense shield against them.

    Complain about this comment

  • 121. At 10:49am on 11 Apr 2012, adnan wrote:

    I think that honesty is every thing in our religion (Islam).If you are not Honest so you are not a good Muslim. And the all we learn because of Islam the entire thing do with honest even you do your lost. The people trust that person how is honest. Honesty has a different meaning that honesty with the parents in the lslam there is a big respect for Parents if your parents are not happy with you then you will not go to the haven. And pay there responsibility with honesty. And obey them with sincerity and honesty. And honesty with the neighborhood you have to honest with the give rights of the neighbor. Respect there family with honesty and very security don’t cheat them don’t flirt with them. Honesty with the Job responsibility is a very important in Islam do the justices with very one and take decisions with honesty. Always do the right even your own blood treat with the right if he is wrong so say them wrong this is honesty. Don’t say lie it’s a root of the sin. If you are use to say lie then no baddy will believe on you.
    I thing need honesty.

    Complain about this comment

  • 122. At 10:56am on 11 Apr 2012, adnan wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 123. At 09:59am on 12 Apr 2012, Nick wrote:

    Honesty is the best policy.
    Everyone loves those who are honest and dislike whose who are dishonest. We must be honest so everyone will trust you and make friend with you. Sometimes, we shall tell a white lie when it is neccesary to prevent hurting others.
    Be honest is very important.

    Complain about this comment

  • 124. At 3:57pm on 14 Apr 2012, Elena wrote:

    I think that dishonesty is bad side of people's character. I had a boyfriend who was always lying. I liked him but his lies made it impossible to sustain our relationship. For another example, my brother used to lie our father, and at present we both don't believe him sometimes.

    Complain about this comment

  • 125. At 09:41am on 17 Apr 2012, Maria wrote:

    I think, we actually are a bit dishonest in our everyday life. You see, politeness is built on a slight lie. You may say: "Good afternoon! Glad to see you!" While thinking that it would be better you have never met this person and, besides, you aren't in a sort of mood to speak to anyone. You are asked how you feel, and you respond: "Great!" That can be another lie... You would be simply misunderstood if you began describing your life in details... Especially in a modern rhythm of a big city... It is how a civilized world is made. There are only a few trully close people you can be really honest with sharing your troubles and the most darkest thoughts and fears... So you put off all your hypocritical polite masks and start being yourself, sincere and outspoken...

    Complain about this comment

View these comments in RSS

Downloads

Latest programmes