Last updated at 11:16 BST, Monday, 30 April 2012

Jealousy

Every week we ask you a different question. Hear what people in London say, then join the conversation! This week, have you ever been jealous?

Click here to listen to what some people in London told us, and see the words:

Join the conversation, have you ever been jealous? Use the form below.

The Express English team

In London,one woman remembers being madly jealous when her husband danced with another woman.

Another woman was envious of her friend's chance to travel round the world.

And one man was happy that his new flat had a balcony, until he visited friends in the countryside. Suddenly, he was jealous of their huge garden.

Did you know?

Fact

Babies as young as five months old can be jealous.

Language tip

Despite how it looks, we pronounce the word jealousy 'jellussee' (or /'dʒel.ə.si/).

Cultural tip

Green is the colour of jealousy and envy. We even call it the 'green-eyed monster'.

This Express English was originally published in 2011.

End of Section

Now tell us what you think

Have you ever been jealous? Can you tell us what happened?

Comments are now closed.

Comments

• 1. At 12:05pm on 30 Apr 2012, FRANZ wrote:

Every time! I'd like to see here in Brazil the same justice that civilized world has or the same education and public service. But a think the most jealous of all Brazilian is about the tax. We pay a lot of taxes and for nothing.

• 2. At 1:23pm on 30 Apr 2012, siavashjal wrote:

last week when i saw my friend, i felt jealous because he found a new job but i can't.

• 3. At 1:30pm on 30 Apr 2012, Lucia wrote:

First of all, I apologize for my English, it's not well...
      But I have to publish a comment cause of my personal experience. I think that jealousy and envy are very different things: I don't think to be an envios person but I am very jealous. Some years ago (when me and my husband were engaged) I suffered very much for long time because I was jealous of my husband's ex girlfriend. It had become a sort of obsession. This jealousy was even more absurd because they hadn't met for many years (and still now they never meet). Fortunately with the passing of time I solved my problem (now we are married and we have two children). But in any case I hope never meet that woman... A curiosity: in Italy yellow is the colour of jealousy.

• 4. At 2:12pm on 30 Apr 2012, Sai-fung wrote:

Actually, My jealousy is quite silly. I'll be slightly jealous when someone's English level is better than me and he/she speaking with arrogant attitude. And then, I want to slap him/her real hard.

• 5. At 4:17pm on 30 Apr 2012, Gokturk wrote:

One of my friend had intruduced me with my friend. She is my high school friend's wife. After we started going out with my wife she saw one of my photo with my friend whose meet us. Her head on my shoulder. and she said I don't wanna any girls put her head on your shoulder neither this is our good friends. She is Jealous little bit :)

• 6. At 5:07pm on 30 Apr 2012, adnan1984 wrote:

I'm always jealous about my affairs and I guess that's why I'm alone nowadays ;)

• 7. At 6:46pm on 30 Apr 2012, Akhtar malik wrote:

after completing graduation, when one of my class fellow got handsome job and i did't , i became jealous.

• 8. At 7:03pm on 30 Apr 2012, Lernenglisch wrote:

Actually I have never been jealous of any possessions but sometimes when I go out with my friends and they seem to know almost everyone I feel quite jealous.

• 9. At 7:06pm on 30 Apr 2012, marie wrote:

I have been jealous when a new member off the team obtained place of parking for his car. Nobody in the team was authorized to use the parking.
      We have discovered few days later he was the son of the director of the compagny

• 10. At 7:31pm on 30 Apr 2012, mariajose wrote:

I only have jealous the artist people. I would love know painting or make wonderful things with my hands.
      I remember when I was 8 or 9 years old and in the school we made an mud ashtray for Father Day. My ashtray seemed all less an ashtray and I was the center of jokes all my classmates.
      I felt really bad.

• 11. At 9:41pm on 30 Apr 2012, selvi80 wrote:

yes jealous in the past now and future

• 12. At 04:04am on 01 May 2012, Cristhian Giovanni wrote:

I have been jealous some times when one of my friends, get any thing that I had wished, for example when some friends travel abroad I felt a little jealous because I would like have traveled with them, but in that moment it wasn´t possible

• 13. At 05:32am on 01 May 2012, Pradip wrote:

Jealousy, that could be natural human things. some people trying to learn how to control jealousy, in the society,

• 14. At 06:50am on 01 May 2012, nesoo wrote:

befor 6 month my cousine went to banke wher is my husband work to open new account for her and she save more than 16000 0 this mony cshe can saved from her jube during 6 years i got becouse i work mor than 6 yeasre and i cant save anymony untile now but from that time i disided to save mony and to reduce my expenses

• 15. At 07:46am on 01 May 2012, forzasa wrote:

Usually to my girlfriend, I feel jealous.
      When she want to go out with other guys, I am jealous.
      Sometime I try to hide my feeling. But it's not easy.

• 16. At 09:18am on 01 May 2012, jinjung2 wrote:

• 17. At 10:42am on 01 May 2012, francescama wrote:

I' m jealous when I see people speaking or calling or walking with their mothers: I lost my mother recently afther her long disease.

• 18. At 10:11pm on 01 May 2012, moutaz wrote:

i need to solve this problem with jealousy, i become jealous a lot but these day i am jealous of being week in English furthermore become impressed but that's help me to improve my english so i hope i can heal .

• 19. At 01:03am on 02 May 2012, Adri_ana wrote:

I am jealous when my nephew and nices seem to like my husband more than me. I am their aunt and It's me who always give them presents.

• 20. At 02:18am on 02 May 2012, lii1618 wrote:

I've been jealous sometimes when I saw some guys have intimated interaction with the girl I like.

• 21. At 04:52am on 02 May 2012, bom wrote:

I have been jealous when I saw my friend grade is better than me. I felt upset about myself. :/

• 22. At 05:54am on 02 May 2012, kikiyoyo wrote:

When I got involved in someone first time, I was so jealous about his all past girifriends. About 5 years ago, my boyfriend met his past girlfriend without telling me. I could see the fact after checking his cellphone. I was mad cause I highly carzy for him. In retrospect, I was so rude and shilly. kkk but jealousy made me do like that.

• 23. At 06:47am on 02 May 2012, iammum wrote:

Good morning. In Hungary is yellow color is indicate the envy, and the jealously's colour is green. We using this colour, when we meet one of green-eyed monster, who can kill love, and this feeling can change to wrong energy , and this feeling is unfortunately. I have married for long time, and my husband is one of calm person, so we did not meet this feelings, I hope in our life we have not account with the situations.but I read on today :There is always more fish in the sea".. and there is other sentence :"Seeing is believing" Wrote St.Thomas in1639, Only physical or concrete evidence is convencing.. Have a nice day Katalin from Hungary

• 24. At 10:27am on 02 May 2012, Saprina wrote:

I felt very jealous when I was informed that a senior student in campus had passed the national judicial examination but I failed.

• 25. At 11:24am on 02 May 2012, Linh wrote:

i was so jealous when my girl friend had a rich boy friend. Her family is also rich, too. When we graduated, she get a good job in a big bank with a high salary.
      I don't have anything like that.

• 26. At 11:50am on 02 May 2012, patricia wrote:

Last month I felt jealous when I met some friends and saw that they have keeping on their professional life despite of many problems on way, while I gave up it. I felt really bad not for them, but for me.

• 27. At 2:22pm on 02 May 2012, Pearl2012 wrote:

i have always been jealous when i felt that the person to whom i am talking with has more knowledge then me... ;p

• 28. At 3:43pm on 02 May 2012, hoangyen_mar wrote:

I felt jealous other woman who is better me about qualification and intelligent. Their life influence than me. when I was a kid, I felt my family so difficult and admired somebody around me, Now My job isn't well, I always change company. My mother said me that you were bad girl. Sometime jealous will help you improve yourself.

• 29. At 9:12pm on 02 May 2012, Juan wrote:

I´ve felt jellous, but I try to control it, thinking in the good things that I get, or if I don´t have anything similar, I try to obtein it.

• 30. At 10:03pm on 02 May 2012, Tildy17 wrote:

When I feel jealous it means my self-esteem fell down. For example, someone has reached what I would love to get (a great job and a husband called Mr. Right), this let me down because I'm just hankering about it!
      Despite my conciousness of that feeling, I need to repeat to myself one Buddhist sentence: more wishes give you more distress.
      So let's try to be free of jealousy! :)

• 31. At 11:11am on 03 May 2012, nicesmile wrote:

i've have ever been jealous of my knowledge's friend about society,economic,etc. It sounds very silly

• 32. At 12:44pm on 03 May 2012, Marc wrote:

Iam often jaelous when i meet people speaking a better English then me. In certain moments of jealousy i am finally afraid about myself. But i meet those experiences with the thoughts to improve my skills for being more satisfite

• 33. At 5:26pm on 03 May 2012, Marc wrote:

Iam often jaelous when i meet people speaking a better English then me. In certain moments of jealousy i am finally afraid about myself. But i meet those experiences with the thoughts to improve my skills or situation for being more satisfite

• 34. At 05:59am on 04 May 2012, neama wrote:

I feel jealous when my friend mentions the name of his wife. sometimes I feel he loves me, but he will nerve confess that, and he will nerve scarify his live with his wife for me. I don't want him to do so, and I know that our relationship can't and mustn't be more than friendship, but I wish at least he wouldn't talk about her when we are together.

• 35. At 11:29am on 04 May 2012, VeruDoudo wrote:

I was jealous when my boyfriend was writing on ICQ with his exgirlfriend. It was just innocent "How are you" thing but still... :-)

• 36. At 12:34pm on 04 May 2012, bobtee wrote:

Every time, like previous comment.
      When I go to the department store, lot of person spent
      something even though it should be very costly.

But, I am young man. I try to meet my dream.
      Some day, I can get a chance to buy high values items.

• 37. At 12:42pm on 04 May 2012, Gunjan wrote:

I feel jealous, when someone with less calibar get a good opportunities like onsite opportunity or promotions in the office only by doing butter polishing

• 38. At 3:58pm on 05 May 2012, bae song eun wrote:

I was always jealous of my best friend over 10 years. It made ​​me very hard mentally. After each test, She compared the test scores me and friend. Middle school grades were similar. but When a high school, she is better than me. and mother's comparison was getting worse. As a result, It made ​​me helpless. I love friend of mine. but I also hate her. I thought friendship was pure, one thing. but It wasn't. Because I know her, and It made ​​me unhappy 10 years. She knows that I love and hate her. So, I'm sorry more.

• 39. At 10:59pm on 06 May 2012, paolobobos wrote:

In the past I was very jealous, my ex girlfriend made me crazy and I wasn't sure of her love. Furthermore, I was 17 years old. Now I'm not very jealous, because I know that my girlfriend is falling in love with me. I think that jealous depends by situations and people.

• 40. At 03:10am on 07 May 2012, Let ixia wrote:

Last weekend I felt quite jealous when my boyfriend was getting ready to go the gym. He took hours fixing his hair and he took several minutes to get dress. So, I asked why too much timing? My blood was burning. Anyway, he left. I forgot the situation and when he got home he kissed me with passion!

• 41. At 03:41am on 07 May 2012, Josimardking wrote:

when my coursins go out on weekends without me a feel jealous.

• 42. At 10:49pm on 07 May 2012, seosk92 wrote:

I am jealous when I see someone has a good camera.
      Because I really really like camera respite I'm not good at taking pictures!

• 43. At 12:16pm on 08 May 2012, konska wrote:

I am really jealous when someone has better camera than mine! I'd like to be a good photographer but it requires a lot of work and I'm quite lazy. But today I was really jealous when my friend passed the driving exam earlier than me. I started the driving lessons first but now she passed the exam and I'm still on the course ;c

• 44. At 12:02pm on 09 May 2012, honey wrote:

yesI feel jealousy when I see people speaking English frequently why I can't. I am a successful person in my life a good job good family everyhing is ok instead speaking English. Its my weak point and It make me jealous of my fellows. and second thing which made me jealous is my life partner i never share him with anyone else.

• 45. At 12:27pm on 09 May 2012, SeanatEastwood wrote:

I am a bit of jealousy with my collegue sitting cross over as his english is way better than mine. I am upset when I cannot get our clients/suppliers understand my words.

• 46. At 6:35pm on 09 May 2012, tanya259 wrote:

yes I`m very jealous with my husband when collegue or a friend (women) called him for only having some news,ridiculous when they just called for unimportant things

• 47. At 8:11pm on 11 May 2012, Dinalva wrote:

Yes I fell many times, why I can't get a good job here in this country ...

• 48. At 08:10am on 13 May 2012, alex wrote:

As for me I used to be jealous when I was a child, like man other children, but now I can't say so. I try to concentrate on positive things and even I catch myself appearing jealous I use it for developing efforts, f.e. for studying, training etc.

• 49. At 12:07pm on 13 May 2012, KangBoSeung wrote:

I feel jealous when i see a guy who wear a nice footwear like a new nike sneakers and fred perry footwear. :p

• 50. At 12:22pm on 14 May 2012, marinihassim wrote:

I feel jealous when i hear the pregnancy news of my friends. I have been married for almost six months and I hope to get pregnant as soon as possible

• 51. At 03:58am on 15 May 2012, IsabellaPW wrote:

I rarely feel jealous. I'm so easygoing that it scares me

• 52. At 3:30pm on 20 May 2012, anthonynow wrote:

Obviously when I hear some guys date my girlfriend for lunch or something

• 53. At 4:25pm on 20 May 2012, chip wrote:

I feel jealous when I see a girl who is taller or whiter than me or her family is very rich. But I realize this emotion is not good for me. It leads me to some nagative thingking so that I feel life is border and dont want to do anything. So I try to calm down my feeling, etc: try not to see her or focus on word and the value of myself...After that I feel better. No need to be jealous beacause we are worth as we were born.

• 54. At 11:29am on 21 May 2012, Shahla wrote:

mmm...actually i never get jealous of material things, what ma friends have , what they are planning to do. I usually get jealous when ma bf goes some parties without me ,100 of ideas come to my mind, i 'm jealous only of my love, but i'm strong enough to overcome it too. I am able to get it out ma mind. but when it comes 1st it hurts...

• 55. At 6:03pm on 26 May 2012, ttttrang wrote:

Yesterday, I feel jealous with my friends when they got new jobs but I didn't and I cry so much. I hate myself for thinking like that, but it is really difficult to change.

• 56. At 02:53am on 08 Jun 2012, sandwiches wrote:

yesterday, my borther came back from other city, and I found one thing to make me jealous. That is he become thinner and looks much more handsome, and I still fat!

• 57. At 11:26am on 08 Jun 2012, yoyes wrote:

Well, the las t time when I felt jealous was when a woman came to live with my aunt. I felt like if she was stealing my aunt and I was very angry, but now I think I have beaten this jealousy.

• 58. At 6:06pm on 12 Jun 2012, thiago wrote:

yes, it happens sometimes, but both my girlfriend and me don't have this kind of behaviour. we believe each other! I reckon this manner always bothers someone else...
      Actually, I'm jealous when I am in a low self-confident.

• 59. At 8:26pm on 12 Jun 2012, Marc945 wrote:

I'm not jealous by nature, i don't like this feeling. For me, it's like a permanent frustation..
      Live your life without watching what others do or have. We are not all equal, that's life.

About jealousy in couple, it could be dangerous and stressful for both lovers.

• 60. At 02:40am on 20 Jun 2012, Nguyen Ngoc wrote:

I graduated 2 years ago. My friends and I all have our own jobs and business. Still, I sometimes feel jealous because many of them are more successful than I am. Then I talked to my self that I need to try more and that I can do more than I do now

• 61. At 3:02pm on 29 Jun 2012, An-n wrote:

When I was a child, I felt so jealous of my brother because I thought mom loves him than me. But now I know I was wrong.

• 62. At 8:14pm on 01 Jul 2012, Barenya wrote:

I try to avoid being jealous of anything as much as I can because it gives me disappointment and negative feeling at the end of the day. I believe that jealousy can be overcome by having full trust and confidence in yourself of doing or achieving anything that makes you jealous of. This way one can be happy and self-contained.

• 63. At 5:24pm on 03 Jul 2012, Fayed wrote:

A girl i liked her very much, i did `t express what is inside of me toward her for about 9 month working in the same company, but i was feeling an excessive jealousy when she was talking with her team members "Boys" ,,, also i felt quit jealous when i saw my father dealing with my sister with behave and altitude respectable and kindness more than me, i decided to do things good more than them to get more respectable and to be on high ranking level in my father list :)

• 64. At 05:18am on 04 Jul 2012, SteelHeart wrote:

Yester day, i saw my friend. I felt jealous because he had found a new girl friend.

• 65. At 2:37pm on 11 Jul 2012, wlk wrote:

obviously, i often feel jealous when my friends or colleagues speak English better than me and the opportunities they have got being fluent in English. even though i'm trying so hard to be fluent in English, sometimes i get struck when i'm in the middle of a conversation. this let me down so much and loose the opportunities ahead.

• 66. At 01:34am on 28 Jul 2012, oceanlee wrote:

I am a kind of jealous person. I always feel jealous about many things and people. I hate this kind of feeling but I can not control myself. Now I know I should concentrate on my work and study

• 67. At 12:46pm on 31 Jul 2012, mageed wrote:

I feel jealous when someone get marry of my relative girls

• 68. At 7:39pm on 16 Aug 2012, Tati wrote:

I feel very jealous of people who have a favourite work, business or hobby, people who is infatuated with some occupation

• 69. At 10:28pm on 28 Aug 2012, MASAL7A wrote:

• 70. At 00:13am on 09 Sep 2012, vision222430 wrote:

I will become the kine of jealous person sometimes,but most of it I try to let the feeling go and forget everything.

• 71. At 8:51pm on 13 Sep 2012, perromalo wrote:

I have jealous some times when I heard some guys speaking English much better than me. It´s only for a moment, then I laugh about myself :)

• 72. At 1:06pm on 03 Oct 2012, Dasa wrote:

I have boyfriend and he is younger about eleven years. I am very jealous If we go to party where are younger girls. I live with my boyfriend 8 moth, so I have to say that my jealous is less, because I analyze my problem with my boyfriend and he help me to understand myself. I appreciate that is only my imagination and my fear that he can leave my. I am jealous only if I start to doubt about myself. So If I start to by jealous I realize that I forget to look after about my satisfaction.

• 73. At 08:17am on 09 Oct 2012, npark8 wrote:

i hardly ever experience jealousy; but i am sometimes envious of those who are easygoing but successful with their tasks while i'm working hard. don't get me wrong though. it is not jealousy since i like the way i am and methinks that nothing can compare to the product of my hardworking;)

• 74. At 8:54pm on 20 Nov 2012, Mehdibou wrote:

I don't know if I'm a jealous person or a sick man :)

• 75. At 06:23am on 22 Nov 2012, Anitha wrote:

actually I sometimes feel jealeous when I met my old friends having new car,good life and happy family,but I take it as a challenge and make sure I have my own,i think this help me to work hard and use my money properly.ooh is there any medicine to treat such a problem?

• 76. At 4:08pm on 26 Nov 2012, Sally wrote:

just a few months ago,I felt quiet jealous.
      cuz of my classmates they got the job from the hotel and they do not need to go to school for the whole next year,but i just couldn't.I wish I could be. And I still believe there is another way to walk for me.That's what I think.

• 77. At 10:20am on 20 Dec 2012, arcmi wrote:

Hi,
      My big jealousy is about calm people.
      I feel upset and angry about other people's insusceptibility.This type problems can happen everywhere and everytime and I sometimes can't do anything for solutions. Although I spend effort to correct other people's faultiness and injustices I can't be succeed.And then when I saw is continued their routine, I feel very unhappy and stressful. Consequently I couldn't bear this situations.But I feel very jealous about calm people can overcome his problems easily.I feel very jealous about people who keep on their lives calmly.And I appreciate them.

• 78. At 1:53pm on 23 Dec 2012, linda_K wrote:

Now , I'm so confused about my goal. I actually don't know what I want. So I always jealous who have dream and can do it.

• 79. At 1:54pm on 28 Dec 2012, mrshams wrote:

hi there i think im a jealous man. when my partner notices to another man...although her notice be un porpos

• 80. At 3:44pm on 21 Jan 2013, Denise Lui wrote:

Sometimes I am jealous because I find many of my friends have posted their activities' photos on Facebook. I feel sad as I just stay at my home. I feel boring and I hope one day I will have many friends and I can travel to different places, take many wonderful photos and upload on Facebook.

• 81. At 03:55am on 29 Jan 2013, bin cao wrote:

sometimes, i jealousy the people who boin in the canada, because those people can speak very well in english. when i think about my english level, i feel myself so useless, even though i immigranted canada for 4 years. my pronunciation sucks...
      learning english is hard, it drives me to the wall.

• 82. At 07:52am on 29 Jan 2013, Rance wrote:

To be honest, I also have jealousy.When I study high school,if my friends always get good academic performance ,I would be jealous .Because I already have studied so hard, why i didn't get the good score.But now I don't have this feeling,when i study in oversea,I find that nothing is important than friendship and family .If they have a happy life ,I will sincerely wish them.

• 83. At 01:54am on 06 Feb 2013, Rawan wrote:

i feel jealous when i see my friend wearing a perfect makeup with nice hairstyle! i know i'm silly :p

• 84. At 10:28pm on 12 Feb 2013, Chad from Korea wrote:

I was so jealous when I thought that all the people except me enjoyed this world. But not any more

• 85. At 05:39am on 18 Feb 2013, Pooya wrote:

I feel jealous when I see someone who has tried less in his/her life, is more successful than me.

• 86. At 3:26pm on 13 Mar 2013, Jango wrote:

When I was at the secondary school , i went to another school . There I met some new class mates which were studying too hard and I was almost don't study anything .
      So I was just hear about how they do that and how they study 6 to 10 hours per day and I felt jealous of them and decided to do like them and challenge them and my self . I began to follow the same steps which they do and I got to study till 13 hours per day . Finally I passed the last year of the secondary school with high score even higher than some of my ex class mates . Every one was chocked about that ( my friends , teachers and my parents ) no one expected that I would pass it with so score and get to collage of engineering .

• 87. At 6:42pm on 13 Mar 2013, labakoko wrote:

I felt jealous sometimes for some people around me, but I don't want to pay attention for that kinds of minds. So to avoid feeling jealousy, I work harder to have what I need. I'm not particular jealous in love

• 88. At 11:38pm on 18 Mar 2013, martinchiroque wrote:

I feel jealous when someone is better than me in knowlenge and more especial when he tries to be the best person in the gruop, for me in the past ,the jealosy was more but not I can manage to reduce the bad energy that involve me in bad felling .

• 89. At 10:14am on 21 Mar 2013, Nura Ameen wrote:

I feel absolutely jeliousy when I see my lover talking to a chap in a humorous manner

• 90. At 06:21am on 22 Mar 2013, Sinat wrote:

Am Sinat, from Cambodia. I feel jealous when I see my husband chatting with other woman that i don't know on skype or facebook. But I didn't say anything to him.

• 91. At 07:45am on 24 Mar 2013, shinhyejin wrote:

3 months ago, I've been starting Ielts studying and the past weekend I've met my classmate before I had a test Ielts was yesterday . And then I've heard that.. she's got a higher score about Ielts. so I was very jealous and envy her.

• 92. At 10:01am on 24 Mar 2013, shinhyejin wrote:

• 93. At 11:45am on 26 Mar 2013, Aliceinchance wrote:

It depends on person's trait. I mean as a person. You can be jealous in a perfect way, if you see your partner are flirting with somebody or something like that.
      I don't understand the jealously as envy. That can make you betray or overcome with somebody.
      I think it's better look for the balance between your space and the other person's space. Never doubt your partner if you aren't sure of that, I think.

• 94. At 7:38pm on 27 Mar 2013, sandip wrote:

I feel jealous when someone get promoted at work who is not knowledgeable than me.

• 95. At 3:03pm on 02 Apr 2013, fdlunardon wrote:

during the last exam session I didn't pass an exam at first attempt while two of my friends passed; so i spent the following weeks studying to pass it at second attempt, while my friends were on holiday, so I felt quite jealous

• 96. At 8:40pm on 02 Apr 2013, fatima wrote:

I feel jealous when someone get a trip.

• 97. At 02:21am on 19 Apr 2013, 0723 wrote:

I think I am positive person. But sometime I also feel jealous.
      When I see someone who have a lot of money..who is younget than me.

Downloads