Last updated at 13:23 BST, Monday, 16 April 2012

Three wishes

Every week we ask you a different question. Hear what people in London say, then join the conversation! This week, you can have three wishes. What will you wish for?

Click here to listen to what some people in London told us, and see the words:

Join the conversation, what three things will you wish for? Use the form below.

The Express English team

In London, some people wished for world peace and an end to greed. Others wished for something for themselves, like to travel round the world or to own an expensive sports car.

One man wished for health, happiness and love.

We hope their wishes come true.

Did you know?

Fact

In Northumberland, England, around 16,000 coins were found in an ancient Roman wishing well, dedicated to the goddess Coventina.

Language tip

Say 'I wish I could' not 'I wish I can.'

Cultural tip

In Britain the Middle-Eastern story of Aladdin and the genie who grants three wishes is so popular, that it's now part of traditional Christmas plays called 'pantos'.

This Express English was originally published in 2011.

End of Section

Now tell us what you think

You can have three wishes. What will you wish for?

Comments are now closed.

Comments

• 1. At 2:58pm on 16 Apr 2012, Pearl2012 wrote:

my wishes would be

1. i could do something for poor people
    2. i could spread more love and happiness
    3. i could be a part of team to minimize illiteracy rate

• 2. At 4:13pm on 16 Apr 2012, Ray wrote:

i wish i could travel round the world. i wish i could fall in love with someone. i wish everyone could happy forever!

• 3. At 4:19pm on 16 Apr 2012, annadangha wrote:

if i have three wishes one, i wish i were good at english. second, i wish the heath for my every family' member. three, go to Japan.

• 4. At 4:38pm on 16 Apr 2012, kk wrote:

I wish for good luck and good health for everyone.

• 5. At 5:01pm on 16 Apr 2012, Khalid wrote:

Well, world peace for all, for me score 6.5 in the IELTS exam, and then I back to my country when I have finished my master degree.

• 6. At 5:39pm on 16 Apr 2012, hahamaku wrote:

i wish i could make friends with foreigners,cuz i wonder what is like outside.

• 7. At 7:00pm on 16 Apr 2012, Renata wrote:

If I had three wishes, they would be:
    1-to have the power of making the world a place full of peace;
    2-to travel all over the world with all my loved ones at the same time;
    3-to have the right of having more three wishes :p

• 8. At 7:56pm on 16 Apr 2012, urlikPL wrote:

I wish God were real
    I wish people were more natural
    I wish I could be with my husband till the end of life

• 9. At 7:57pm on 16 Apr 2012, Gemerson wrote:

I whish health for everyone in the world, peace all over the world e finally that everyone could have a better life with enough money to do all the things without poverty.

• 10. At 8:06pm on 16 Apr 2012, Elena wrote:

If I had three wishes, firstly, I would wish every person suffering from illness was cured of it. Secondly, I wish every person wasn't lonely. It would be great if every human had friends, family, partner. I think that it's very important to have interesting job. I would wish everybody pleasure in job.

• 11. At 9:34pm on 16 Apr 2012, loretta wrote:

Good health is the most important thing. Then I hope to find the love of my life.Finally I'd like to find the job for which I've studied:
    touristic operator and travel as much as possible.

• 12. At 9:57pm on 16 Apr 2012, Regina wrote:

My whishes are:
    1. To speak english
    2. To understand english
    3. To laugh at the right moment when I' watching a film in english

• 13. At 10:02pm on 16 Apr 2012, Regina wrote:

• 14. At 10:40pm on 16 Apr 2012, beatriz wrote:

I would wish for health, love and peace for me and the rest of the people!

• 15. At 11:58pm on 16 Apr 2012, Maria Virgínya wrote:

My first wish I'd like to live with my love. My second wish I'd like to travel to London and pass a year for learn English very well together my loves.. and my third wish I'd like to buy a house in the countryside. This are my wishes, anyone can help me realize?

• 16. At 00:31am on 17 Apr 2012, rymal wrote:

I wish I could stop all the wars.
    I wish I could make all the children of the world happy.
    I wish I could eliminate the pollution.

• 17. At 00:39am on 17 Apr 2012, Manoj wrote:

i wish i could be a parliament member and write constitution for Nepal, not only constitution i wish nepal would be a prosperious and peaceful country.
    I wish i could be travel all around the world and meet different people,enjoy different culture.

• 18. At 01:19am on 17 Apr 2012, junior from brazil wrote:

I wish be a success artist (shy laughs)! Maybe one day...
    And of course, world peace (love, no hungry people, friendship, no cheating, prayers).

• 19. At 01:29am on 17 Apr 2012, Saprina wrote:

Firstly, I wish I could go to London to watch the Olympic Games this year.Secondly, I wish I could pass the national entrance test for MA candidates.Thirdly, I wish I could persuade my father to quit smoking.

• 20. At 02:10am on 17 Apr 2012, lucy wrote:

1. I wish all my family memebers including my parents be in good health.
    2. I wish I could find my genius.
    3. I wish happy family life.

• 21. At 03:15am on 17 Apr 2012, ClaudioVidal wrote:

I wish good health to my Family. I wish to spend my time with my Family. I wish The peace of The world.

• 22. At 04:50am on 17 Apr 2012, ma_din wrote:

- good health
    - happy family with my wife and children
    - bring more happies to everyone i know

• 23. At 07:19am on 17 Apr 2012, rain30033 wrote:

i wish i had a sport car and i wish were speak english Smoothly
    and i wish i could fly on the sky

• 24. At 07:50am on 17 Apr 2012, Virag75 wrote:

If somebody could fulfill my wishes I would like to fall in love with a lovely man, I would like to have a healthy baby and I would like to raise my children in a place, where people more liberal and love is more important.

• 25. At 09:16am on 17 Apr 2012, Muhammad wrote:

1-I wish I could be richer man
    2- I wish I could work at rolls Royce factories
    3- I wish I could enter paradise

• 26. At 09:17am on 17 Apr 2012, Maria wrote:

My wishes would be: to live in harmony with yourself and nature around giving more kindness and love to other people; to be healthy and to learn to appreciate what you have (for my family also) and not to lose the gift of dreaming... One of the most precious gifts a person may have:)

• 27. At 09:30am on 17 Apr 2012, nguyen viet duc wrote:

I wish I have much money..!
    and I wish I have fall in love..!
    finally, I wish I have three wishes again..!

• 28. At 10:48am on 17 Apr 2012, Cherry wrote:

First, I wish I could be a outstanding person.
    Second, I wish all the people I love could be happiness forever. Third, I wish I could have the constant love with my darling.

• 29. At 10:56am on 17 Apr 2012, Kandan wrote:

Hi,

I wish 1. I could do help for sponsor to poor children.
    2. I want to see world peace.
    3. I could do any innovation to earn more and give more to charity to get quality medical treatment for poor people.

Hope everything will happen by god grace..

• 30. At 10:56am on 17 Apr 2012, FRANZ wrote:

Nothing for me but to the World:

1) I wish all animals and vegetables extinct exist again;
    2) I wish all people of the World have excellent Education;
    3) I wish all weapons disappear.

• 31. At 2:04pm on 17 Apr 2012, spartox wrote:

i wish happiness , healthy life and to be rich

• 32. At 2:16pm on 17 Apr 2012, shymakaid wrote:

I wish to take a master degree in teaching English language .
    I wish that all prisoner get their freedom .

• 33. At 2:55pm on 17 Apr 2012, jimjimjim wrote:

Firstly, I wish England will win the Euro Cup in Poland .
    Secondly, I wish i can pass the IGCSE exam in November.
    Thirdly, I wish i can earn lots of money from stock market.

• 34. At 2:58pm on 17 Apr 2012, destinyphuong wrote:

my wishes are :
    1) speak english fluently
    2) travel round the world
    3) a wealthy, happy life
    i hope my wishes come true

• 35. At 3:10pm on 17 Apr 2012, Torpak wrote:

If I had three wishes: First, I wish the peace of the world.
    Secondly, I wish my family was living together in our home.
    Third, I wish to study abroad, especially in England.

• 36. At 3:20pm on 17 Apr 2012, Alysayuan wrote:

I wish my family will better than ever!
    I wish i could have my own space in society.
    I wish i could find the right guy and fall in love. That's it.

• 37. At 3:58pm on 17 Apr 2012, TheFugitive wrote:

Since is not a good time for my country, Italy... I wish:

1) The awakening of the consciousness for my people.
    2) The end of the old corrupted political class in my country.
    3) A dignified life and a serenity oldness.

• 38. At 4:01pm on 17 Apr 2012, lucak85 wrote:

I wish...
    1. that Linkin Park have a live concert in my city in Poland.
    2. Good Health and Good Luck for me and everyone except the bad guys of course
    3. and my biggest wish, to complete my comic book and show it to the public.

• 39. At 4:04pm on 17 Apr 2012, Nguyen Huu Vuong wrote:

I wish everyone could live in a peaceful world (no pollution, famine, poverty,..)

• 40. At 4:41pm on 17 Apr 2012, sherin Elhaddad wrote: