Last updated at 12:06 BST, Monday, 23 April 2012

What's your ideal date?

Every week we ask you a different question. Hear what people in London say, then join the conversation! This week, what's your ideal date?

Click here to listen to what some people in London told us, and see the words:

Join in the conversation, tell us about your ideal date, use the form below.

The Express English team

In London, one woman's ideal date is a candlelit dinner with good conversation. Another wants a guy to cook her dinner. And one man likes cooking a meal to impress a woman... Maybe we should put them in touch!

Did you know?

Fact

Surprisingly, a 2008 survey found that the UK is most romantic country in Europe. 70% of Britons said that they were in love, and over 80% believe in everlasting love.

Language tip

If a British person says they 'fancy' someone, it means they find them attractive.

Cultural tip

If you 'fancy' a British person try not to be too pushy when asking them out on a date. Being persistant is not usually seen as romantic, but as aggressive or desperate - neither of which is attractive!

This Express English was originally published in 2011.

End of Section

Now tell us what you think

What's your ideal date?

Comments are now closed.

Comments

• 1. At 2:03pm on 23 Apr 2012, michele gantois wrote:

I think my ideal date is to have a dinner with good friends and to have a lot of laugh...

• 2. At 3:20pm on 23 Apr 2012, lucak85 wrote:

I was having ideal date with one girl. And that girl is now my current girlfriend:) and we're getting married on next year after 7 years of beeing together:D So i think the best date is when you meet your true love:)

• 3. At 3:34pm on 23 Apr 2012, Sai-fung wrote:

For me, I think my ideal date is to have a heart-to-heart talk with the one I love, with a romantic amosphere, warm lights, Jazz music.

• 4. At 3:58pm on 23 Apr 2012, FCAJM wrote:

I think my ideal date is to have a dinner with all my family : children and grandchildren. It's a great moment when we are together,sharing a nice dinner !

• 5. At 4:55pm on 23 Apr 2012, tanya259 wrote:

first it must be with a person that i really appreciate and it should be so romantic with flowers,candle light dinner in a special place,...sweet words and a sweet kiss before leaving!

• 6. At 7:09pm on 23 Apr 2012, sarah80 wrote:

i think that the best ideal date is to make her or him laugh even if you didn't spend a lot of money for your date.

• 7. At 9:13pm on 23 Apr 2012, Vania wrote:

When he comes to pick me up from my house with a flower for me, that's a good sign.
      I love when he's organized our evening and surprise me. It's incredible when he guess and feel my wishes.

• 8. At 02:19am on 24 Apr 2012, oliver wrote:

My ideal date is when he takes me around the city. We join to taste famous food that has become characteristic symbols of each old street in this old Hanoi. It's so sweet if you have an ice scream bought in Trang Tien, then walk around the Sword Lake.

• 9. At 06:28am on 24 Apr 2012, Saprina wrote:

In my view, with friends eating fast food in Macdonld's and enjoying the background music is very romantic and fashionable.

• 10. At 06:41am on 24 Apr 2012, mimiya wrote:

I prefer to stroll along the beach or lakeside, and talk with each other with no other distraction like smart phones or ipad. I can't believe it that it is omnipresent to see many couples watching each screen when dating, and there is even no eye contact or interaction. They are actually dating with their smart phones!

• 11. At 12:05pm on 24 Apr 2012, bana wrote:

Best date I would ever like to have could be with my husband , having candlelit dinner with gift of flowers and cares.

• 12. At 1:13pm on 24 Apr 2012, teodros66 wrote:

I'm happy to have a lot of ideal dates in my life! I enjoy singing, playing the piano, meeting my friends, driving my car, riding my dear bicycle on which i was saving up money for a half of the year and walking around my beautiful Saint-Petersburg (Russia)! I'd like to wish everybody be glad for your life given us by God!

• 13. At 2:55pm on 24 Apr 2012, Tereza wrote:

My ideal date would be somewhere in the heart of nature. Just we two having a picnic.

• 14. At 5:17pm on 24 Apr 2012, loretta wrote:

I think that a special date could be every moment you spend
      with
      your lover; even a little thing or something inspected can make a moment very special. My personal experience is you don't have to
      plan all, take it easy and enjoy yourself! sometimes we want to impress at any cost and we forget that simples things are the best

• 15. At 10:05pm on 24 Apr 2012, sheikho22 wrote:

• 16. At 06:57am on 25 Apr 2012, Faye wrote:

My ideal date is dinner by the sea, listening to sea wave, enjoying sea breeze with nice food and good conversation.

• 17. At 08:35am on 25 Apr 2012, salih wrote:

It depends on the relationship's situation. I mean if there is closeness exist between the partners, date is shaping differently on the other hand, if there is no any closeness or partners are just met each other, this is the another situation. According to my viewpoint, cooking for her at home is romantic and lovely expression. I want to choose cooking speacial dinner for her to express myself.

• 18. At 12:47pm on 25 Apr 2012, siavashjal wrote:

• 19. At 1:51pm on 25 Apr 2012, gelareh wrote:

i think an ideal date happens when u r having such a great time,and you enjoy being with each other and have nothing to worry about as well.

• 20. At 7:22pm on 25 Apr 2012, svetlana wrote:

It depends on situation and person, of course. :)
      It could be some some usual activity, such as going to the cinema, having dinner at home or spending time in nature.... There are a lot of ways to spend time with someone you love.
      It is important that it is amusing and funny. I don't like stereotypes like romantic dinners with candles (siting, having dinner, talking and looking at someone). I would be so bored. I like surprises. The ideal date could be something completely unexpected. It trills me.
      And after what may be....;)

• 21. At 10:57am on 26 Apr 2012, siavashjal wrote:

• 22. At 6:54pm on 26 Apr 2012, Ttdarling wrote:

A good and wonderful ideal date is having nice talking about each other so we can have our first personal impression.

• 23. At 8:14pm on 26 Apr 2012, siavashjal wrote:

i think my ideal date is to have good friends and good family.

• 24. At 9:00pm on 26 Apr 2012, mAni wrote:

I believe that my ideal date is whenever I have fun with my friends...

• 25. At 01:47am on 27 Apr 2012, Monica Santana wrote:

• 26. At 09:37am on 27 Apr 2012, koba_dfv wrote:

My ideal date would be going to a nice coffee, talking over a cup of coffee, seeing the dance performance at the concert hall, because I like to see dance.Then, we would enjoy talking about the program we have seen at the restaurant near the concert hall.

• 27. At 2:25pm on 27 Apr 2012, xenia- wrote:

If only he were with me, every moment of being with him would mean everything for me and I would be absolutely happy... but wonders don't happen...

• 28. At 6:26pm on 27 Apr 2012, ma_din wrote:

an ideal date ?
      i like chatting with my friends in class , after school we often have a snack and have fun there :))
      i usually play football at the lake near my house in the late afternoon. the air 's very fresh !
      in the evening , i watch tv after doing home work !

• 29. At 12:21pm on 28 Apr 2012, behsalamoon wrote:

My ideal date is to have a picnic with my friends in the nature. I really like spending time in countryside to inhale fresh air and watch nice scenes.

• 30. At 01:38am on 29 Apr 2012, Yasin wrote:

well the ideal date for me is half past five am after getting up. I might get a fresh air and spread optimistic to each other. I never postpone getting up. so if you want to get the fresh air you should wake up early and that seems to be difficult but You can do it. previously you must arrange a little time to drink water and do your best

• 31. At 08:45am on 29 Apr 2012, marga wrote:

My ideal date is spend my time wiht my children and my boyfriends,having a good dinner all together...or travelling around the world

• 32. At 09:58am on 29 Apr 2012, marga wrote:

my ideal date: dinner with my boyfriend in a beautiful place

• 33. At 10:43pm on 29 Apr 2012, alex wrote:

My ideal date is something surprising, when I suddenly take my girlfriend somewhere for picnic,only me and she. And it's great to gift flowers unexpectedly, some other romantic things. And sweet kisses of course))

• 34. At 09:14am on 30 Apr 2012, thaitungchi wrote:

Oh, an ideal date!
      we'd go to enjoy delicious French dishes, romantic films and make love in the sea-view hotel.

• 35. At 10:58pm on 30 Apr 2012, Jose Daniel Gamez Rodriguez wrote:

Hello

My ideal date is having dinner with candel´s ligth soft piano music with special woman who love me and I´m love in low with she, and drink red wine. Them we goin to cinema or teather, to eat chocolate and popcorn

• 36. At 04:18am on 01 May 2012, Cristhian Giovanni wrote:

my ideal date would be having a interesting conversation with a beautiful woman not only phisically, else espiritually too.

And another good date would be go to dance

• 37. At 11:55am on 01 May 2012, EeneyMeeney wrote:

Having something simple but nice and fresh for lunch and going for a romantic walk in park. Lastly going home and cuddling together :)

• 38. At 12:51pm on 01 May 2012, mebil wrote:

I enjoy wathing the historical films.

• 39. At 03:58am on 02 May 2012, Esther wrote:

my ideal date would be having an interesting conversation
      and the man would be thoughtful

• 40. At 10:41pm on 02 May 2012, Elisa wrote:

Hi! I think my ideal date would be meeting with somebody very interesting and very important in your life since that moment, by chance. That person could be your future true love or a good friend.

Kisses from Spain!

• 41. At 10:22am on 03 May 2012, nicesmile wrote:

according to me,the ideal date would be a picnic outside the city with friends

• 42. At 2:29pm on 03 May 2012, hoangyen_mar wrote:

According me, if can be together see sky in night and enjoy a hot cup of tea which make me feel wonderful.

• 43. At 06:35am on 05 May 2012, jwan wrote:

i think the ideal date for me is to have dinner with my husband in a special place

• 44. At 3:25pm on 06 May 2012, yoppy69 wrote:

I think my ideal date is make dinner with my friend and after that watch a comedy moive lol

• 45. At 12:36pm on 07 May 2012, Leno wrote:

I think watching MU plays at the weekend is my ideal date. it is a passion

• 46. At 4:34pm on 07 May 2012, JunYoungMoon wrote:

I think my ideal date is to have dinner with valuable friends or boyfriend. I don't forget this date. I love this time and valiable someone. Maybe I'm happy.

• 47. At 03:10am on 08 May 2012, bobee wrote:

My ideal date is not ever coming,but I hope it is to be with one fancy girl for coffee.

• 48. At 03:13am on 08 May 2012, bobee wrote:

I am looking forward to having coffee again with my fancy girl.That's my ideal date.

• 49. At 12:22pm on 08 May 2012, konska wrote:

My ideal date is just to have a cup of tea or coffee in a quite place where we could talk and get to know each other. Than maybe stroll along in a park.

• 50. At 12:38pm on 08 May 2012, Emerson wrote:

My ideal date are the family moments. I love stay, play, talk and laugh with my kids and my wife.

• 51. At 5:26pm on 11 May 2012, Zuoqi wrote:

My ideal date is, walking together my love along a river bank at evening, talking pleasantly with each other in a gentle wind. What a happy scene! I feel a stream of warm in my deep heart even just imagining that.

• 52. At 02:35am on 14 May 2012, ngoctham wrote:

• 53. At 10:08pm on 15 May 2012, seosk92 wrote:

I want to walk around any beautiful place with my love.
      And during walking, we can communicate and take pictures a lot.

• 54. At 02:42am on 16 May 2012, Trinh wrote:

For me, my family is the most important. I have lived far away from home for over 10 years, so I wish I have an ideal date with my family together and of course with my husband too. I like a dinner with a lot of laugh, my mother, my father, my sisters,...

• 55. At 8:56pm on 16 May 2012, amina-alg wrote:

I think my ideal date, marriage with my boyfriend I hope !!! (it is take a longtime for my life).

• 56. At 6:12pm on 12 Jun 2012, thiago wrote:

What i like most in a date is how people behave, for instance: when do not have arguement or another sort of querrel. It's my idea of great date!

• 57. At 05:43am on 24 Jun 2012, loivuong wrote:

to me. the day can be considered a ideal day when i am to be with my girlfriend. Her name is Hong Anh :) i love her but i can not to say..so crazy :(

• 58. At 05:44am on 25 Jun 2012, MiriamStefanin wrote:

My ideal date is any one anywhere in London, because I am Brazilian and I am in Brazil, and my boyfriend is waiting for me in London, while we need to pay for all expenses for travel and preparation for marriage, for more than becomes more difficult every day, every day is better, because our story is beautiful!

• 59. At 10:15am on 28 Jun 2012, Charos wrote:

an ideal date, spending time with my children and my parents, it is wonderfull

• 60. At 05:34am on 01 Jul 2012, bita wrote:

I like deserts for date and it is very nice to me if i eat desert whit my mother.

• 61. At 5:49pm on 03 Jul 2012, Fayed wrote:

My ideal date is to hike a very high mountain with her, trying to reach the highest point, struggling the cold storm in night, one moment she was very near to give up. i would encourage her to persevere and persist, another moment i would feel it is too difficult to reach, she encourage me to attempt, finally we reach our goal and looking to each other without saying a word, but we can understand that this is our life that is full of obstacles and difficulties that we should to struggle to achieve our ambitious with co-operation and lovely moments and here is the pleasure ideal date :)

• 62. At 1:17pm on 09 Jul 2012, púpavka wrote:

My ideal date was two years ago with my nowaday boyfriend. It was only simply date in a coffee house, but i knew he is a love of my life. Now, we are together two beautiful years and every date is as magical as first time :)

• 63. At 3:07pm on 30 Aug 2012, clairezhao wrote:

My ideal date would be that I took a walk along a nice and clean beach with the person I fancy. He holds my hand and we have a good conversation that we share our story with each other. Then we sit on the beach and enjoy the beautiful sunset when the sunshine is on our face. What a romantic moment it is!

• 64. At 00:23am on 09 Sep 2012, vision222430 wrote:

My ideal date is go out and have a cup of tea or coffe with the one I love and share the secrect just know by our each other together

• 65. At 07:50am on 04 Oct 2012, RENOUX10 wrote:

Hello,
      My ideal date would be to be with my boyfriend. I guess he'd like to surprise me or I would like to surprise him by inviting him to a real nice restaurant where top chefs would serve us an unforgettable meal. After which, we could go to a concert and listen to great pieces of music. Then, He would drive me home in his newly bought Porshe car. This is all FANTASY isn't it ? Forget the crisis ! In fact, we wish to continue to share goods moments of everyday's life, we wish to stay together. Apart from the Porsche that we do not possess, we love kitties, they are more affordable, and they are part of our lives !.

• 66. At 6:25pm on 30 Oct 2012, perromalo wrote:

Hi, my ideal date would be to be some place with a beautiful girl and enjoy the nature, such as in a countryside or the beach.
      Also, i would like to enjoy free time with friends

• 67. At 08:46am on 23 Nov 2012, kr2012 wrote:

My ideal date would be with somebody who is relaxed and open for things which can develop during a romantic date. And we should laugh a lot of times. To be in a relaxed mood it can be helpful to reduce the own expectations previously.

• 68. At 12:23pm on 01 Dec 2012, Juniperus wrote:

My ideal date would be just two of us, hanging out all day, like see a film, have good dinner, go shopping...Enjoy our own time. Of course we love each other and we'll keep talking. It seems that nothing would become boring with him.

• 69. At 9:50pm on 05 Dec 2012, mayrich wrote:

My boyfriend and me , doing the perfect date once a month celebrate we are met and stay together now , for 18 months!

• 70. At 01:36am on 15 Dec 2012, CandyTRINH wrote:

It's when my future boyfriend and i sit together and talk about everything on Earth or go for a walk at night, hand in hand....

• 71. At 07:31am on 27 Dec 2012, arcmi wrote:

My ideal date was eight years ago.I met my husband and we fell in love.I am happy for I had been there in these date.And I feel lucky for I met him:)

• 72. At 06:57am on 15 Feb 2013, jwan wrote:

the ideal date for me is spend a time with my husband in a special place

• 73. At 3:27pm on 15 Feb 2013, MukeshJha wrote:

My ideal date is to go to a romantic place with my love her hand in my hand and talk romantic gossips and finally have lunch in a peaceful environment.

• 74. At 7:27pm on 20 Feb 2013, ranjanbbc wrote:

my ideal date would be a beautiful evening on beach-side and enjoying luxurious wine with my love of my life.

• 75. At 2:17pm on 22 Feb 2013, jerich wrote:

For me my ideal date is just a simple one, to go out with my girlfriend to nice restaurant and afterwards maybe watching a new movie is a great choice.

• 76. At 12:22pm on 26 Mar 2013, Aliceinchance wrote:

In my view, definetly with close friends, or a funny dinner with music, with conversation with other interesting people... People who match up with everyone... Above all, we enjoy cooking, speaking, listening music, and so on.
      Or in a loving date with my boyfriend, speaking about typical things or watching a film on TV, and giving opinions of the program...
      Relaxing in a spa, or doing any sport together...
      I kind of do things with my close friends or my boyfriend, sharing moments.

• 77. At 11:29pm on 02 Apr 2013, fatima wrote:

My ideal date is when my daughter and my son in law are here in home

• 78. At 10:49am on 14 Apr 2013, Karenoops wrote:

the idea date for me ...is to go to live music restaurant or bar enjoy the nice dinner , also have a good conversation about everything,
      the other idea date is do something silly or unusual together and have unforgettable experience together

Downloads

Latest programmes

Love Special

1. Home
      2. General & Business English
      3. Express English
      4. What's your ideal date?