|Learning English - The Flatmates|
Try + ___ing
1. Try using a heavier bowling ball.
2. If you want to lose weight, try doing more exercise.
In this case, we use try when we suggest a way to achieve something. For example, there are many ways you can lose weight...
Try doing more exercise
Try changing your diet
Try eating less
All of these suggestions are good ways to achieve your goal; they are all ways to lose weight.
Try + to ___
3. I tried to open the window but it was impossible.
4. I am trying to hit the pins, but I keep missing them.
In this case, try means that we attempted to do something, but we failed to do it. We made an unsuccessful attempt to do something.
Forget + ___ing
1. I've forgotten telling you that it is my birthday today.
2. He's forgotten promising to send you the pictures.
In this case, forget means that you did the action, but now you cannot remember that you did it. So, in sentence 2, he promised to send you the pictures, but he still hasn't sent them to you. Why? Because he has forgotten about his promise.
Note: For this meaning, we often use a 'that clause', rather than the '___ing' form. For example:
I've forgotten that I told you that it is my birthday today.
He's forgotten that he promised to send you the pictures.
Forget + to ___
3. I forgot to telephone the bank before I went on holiday.
4. She's forgotten to bring her passport. We can't go on holiday now!
In this case, forget means you didn't do something.
Regret + ___ing
1. She regrets leaving her last boyfriend. She still loves him.
2. I regret changing my job. I don't like my new one.
In this case, regret means that you did something in the past, and now you feel sad that you did it.
Regret + to ___
3. We regret to tell you that your flight has been cancelled.
4. I regret to say that you have not passed your exam and that you must now leave the university.
In this case, regret means that, right now, you are sorry to give bad news to someone.
to follow through with your arm
To continue the arm movement after you have released the bowling ball
the place where you play ten-pin bowling
when you are playing ten-pin bowling and you knock over all ten pins in one go