Sentence correction and last reply to comments
1. declared himself as the new emperor --> set himself up as the new emperor
2. He suddenly halted at one fatal issue --> He suddenly found a crucial question: where should the capital be?
3. Nanjing all failed them. --> Nanjing failed them all.
4. He would just write poems after poems.--> He would just write poem after poem.
5. This Monday I did something I had never done before: going to an audition. --> This Monday I did something I had never done before: went to an audition.
6. …they looked happy like a child when they ate their food. --> they looked happy as a child when they ate their food.
7. There were recruiting for the cast. --> They would audition for a cast.
8. He asked if I could accompany him to tour around Beijing. --> He asked if I could see around Beijing with him. (I am not sure if this is a better way, Nuala.)
9. It was a decision I took a long five seconds to make. (I will keep the sentence like this, because I meant even five seconds were long.)
10. I was nearly drowned when younger. --> I nearly drowned when younger. (No one tried to kill me : ))
11. The drama group of English Department of University of Heidelberg --> the Drama Group of the English Department of the University of Heidelberg
12. … I hid in the backstage and voiced-acted for the Juliet (in Romeo and Juliet). --> I hid backstage and voiced-acted for a Juliet (in Romeo and Juliet).
Dear Olya, I’ve just heard from my friends in Beijing that it is heavily snowing there NOW! I really wish to see it with them! Actually nowadays the Qinhuai River area is a famous sightseeing spot where nostalgic tourists come for a flavor of old China. Not many people live in the water-side houses now as it used to be. They’ve moved to the modern buildings as anywhere in the world. Anyways, it’s still nice to preserve those houses and keep us remember where our cultural roots lie. And yes, I’m looking forward to every single day, every day is indeed full of wonder! Best wishes to you!
Dear Lucy, it seems that you are very familiar with Nanjing – I guess you went to college there? The funny thing is that I dreamed to “flee” the city when I decided where to go for college, but now after I’ve been to many places in the world, I’ve found Nanjing still remains dear to me – and even dearer. I have no wish to be a famous poet, except one that writes poetry for her lover and writes stories for her children. This is all I want, and this is already beautiful enough for a short life : )
Thank you Marina! Welcome to China and see it yourself!
Thank you Marianna for sharing your film story with me! Your support to this blog has already been part of my most wonderful experience! Best wishes to you too!
Dear Mizan, I made the painting for a literary course I had last year at Tsinghua University in Beijing. I was writing a term paper on Virginia Woolf’s novel Light House and suddenly came up with an idea of finishing the paper with a painting –a Chinese style of light house. Everyone has their different light house in mind. So why not showing the one in MY heart? If you ever get to read that brilliant book, maybe try to picture YOUR light house as well: )
Thanks for all your contributions. This blog has now closed and can no longer accept new comments.