- Buchi Emecheta was born in Lagos, Nigeria in 1944.
- She married as soon as she left school, aged sixteen,
and had two children. Her husband went to study in London
and she joined him in 1962, travelling by boat with her
- When she came, she expected to spend two years studying
librarianship, but she has spent almost forty years living
mainly in England. After her arrival she had three more
children and had to give up her job as a librarian so that
she could take care of them.
- The critical moment came when her husband refused to read
her first novel and then burnt it. She realised just how
important it was to her to write.... She left her husband,
taking the children with her. She then had to write in order
to support the family.
- She has published thirteen novels and other works. Her
writing focuses on women's issues