Olympic and Paralympic Values - Friendship week
- Friendship week
- Values discussion as it happened
- More from our 'friendship' discussion
- Oli's child marriage crusade
- Luca's friends - primary assembly
- Luca's friends - secondary assembly
- The 5000-mile friendship - primary assembly
- The 5000-mile friendship - secondary assembly
- St Botoph's friendship wave!
This is an assembly focussing on the Olympic value of friendship.
It tells the tale of a group of friends and what they did to support their friend who became ill.
Teacher script to introduce film
Ask the assembly, have you ever expressed a gesture of friendship?
You may have comforted a friend when they were upset. Or attended a friend's birthday party.
15 year-old Luca was diagnosed with Cancer and the chemotherapy caused him to lose his hair.
As a gesture, eighteen of his friends at Churston Ferrers Grammar School in the UK shaved their heads so their friend would not stand out from the crowd.
Show film and use discussion prompts afterwards. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for a downloadable copy.
What does friendship mean to you?
Why is it important to have friends?
What do you think about what Luca's friends did?
Why is it important to support your friends?
Would you be prepared to shave your head for charity to support a friend?
Would you like your friends to shave their heads for you if you were ill or would you rather stand out from the crowd?
Email your answer to email@example.com