Can't get to the gym...
The whole world is a gym, you've just got to be a little creative!
- Look around you and see what can take the place of wall bars, weights or a bench - work with it. There is always something around you.
Can't afford membership...
It's understandable if you can't afford membership. Use your mind and really think about what's around you and what you want to achieve because if you don't want to achieve it, it doesn't matter how much you spend in a gym, it's going to be pointless.
- Use items around your home.
- Chairs are great for strengthening exercises such as abdominal work, dips to build your triceps and you can even do some gentle step-ups.
- Look in the fridge and cupboards. Place some cans or tins in a carrier bag and make your own dumbbells and weights.
When people say to me that they have no time, I look them clean in the eye and say "What? You have no time for yourself?" because that's what it's all about.
- Invest in you and take time out for you.
- I always try to make time during the day even if it's just for stretching because I know that this will help my body stay fit, keep moving and prepared for exercise.
I tried it once and I didn't like it...
That's fine. I will always accept that as an excuse but you might have only tried one thing once.
- Find something that draws you in and that you are interested in.
- If you invest in something that gives you hope, then you are more likely to achieve your goal.
- It might be that you are in the wrong frame of mind for a particular exercise, but you could be with the wrong people too.
- Success breeds success so if you are with people that are enthused about an activity, they are more likely to encourage you to do it. There are thousands of activities out there so get out and give them a go!
To succeed in top level sport you need to be a bit obsessed about it.
Head of UWIC's Trampoline Academy
Colin Jackson reveals more top tips on making exercise part of your lifestyle.