Series One | Lesson: 27 | Level: foundation
27.4 - Cafodd / hi - He/ she had
(a) Fe / Mi gafodd Mair / Gareth - Mair / Gareth had (got / received)|
Fe / Mi gafodd e (o) / hi - He / She had
(i) Fe gafodd Gareth bysgodyn i ginio nos.
- Gareth had fish for dinner.
Mi gafodd e (o) frechdanau i ginio.
- He had sandwiches for lunch.
Once again notice the mutation in the object.
(ii) You'll recall that in Welsh we use the 3rd person singular form of the verb even though the subject is plural.
Fe gafodd Gareth a Mair ffrwythau i ginio.
- Gareth and Mair had fruit for lunch.
Mi gafodd y plant sglodion i ginio.
- The children had chips for lunch.
(b) Gafodd Mair / hi / e (o) / y plant? - Did Mair / she / he / the children have (get / receive)?
Gafodd y plant sglodion i ginio? - Do.
- Did the children have chips for lunch? - Yes.
Gafodd e frechdanau i ginio? - Naddo, mi gafodd o gawl.
- Did he have sandwiches for lunch? - No, he had soup.
(c) Chafodd Mair ddim - Mair didn't have
Chafodd y plant ddim - The children didn't get
Chafodd e (o) / hi ddim - He / She didn't receive
Chafodd Mair ddim brechdanau.
- Mair didn't have (any) sandwiches.
Chafodd y plant ddim cinio o gwbl.
- The children didn't have (any) lunch at all.