Series One | Lesson: 19 | Level: entry_level
19.6 - Byw a Hoffi - Live and Like
byw - to live |
hoffi - to like
With some verbs in Welsh we use the Imperfect Tense, whereas the short Past Tense would be used in English. The two above verbs are examples of this:
Roedd y plant yn hoffi'r ffilm.
- The children liked the film.
- (The children were liking the film.)
Ble roedd Elvis Presley'n byw?
- Where did Elvis Presley live?
- (Where was Elvis Presley living?)
Roedd e'n byw ym Memphis.
- He lived in Memphis.
- (He was living in Memphis).
Doedd Tom ddim - Tom wasn't
Doedd e/hi ddim - he/she wasn't
Doedd (fy) nhad ddim - my father wasn't
Fe aeth (fy) ngwraig i'r sinema neithiwr ond doedd hi ddim yn hoffi'r ffilm.
- My wife went to the cinema last night but (she wasn't liking) she didn't like the film.
Doedd 'ngwraig ddim yn y t? ddoe.
- My wife wasn't in the house yesterday.
Doedd y plant ddim yn yr ysgol ddydd Llun.
- The children weren't in school on Monday.