BBC Cardiff Singer of the World competitor
John Pierce was born and educated in Flintshire, North Wales and studied with Jeffrey Lawton at the Royal Northern College of Music.
During his time at the RNCM, John won the Joyce and Michael Kennedy Strauss Prize in 2008 and the Elizabeth Harwood Memorial Award in 2009. A recent Samling scholar, his other prizes include the MOCSA Young Welsh Singer of the Year and Welsh Singers Competition, both in 2010.
John is currently training with Ryland Davies at the National Opera Studio in London. He receives several awards, including a Lionel Anthony scholarship, a Susan Chilcott scholarship, The Countess of Munster Award and support from the Arts Council of Wales.
Operatic roles include Rodolfo La bohème (British Youth Opera and English National Opera cover), Boris Katya Kabanova and Alfredo Die Fledermaus (RNCM), Nemorino L'elisir d'amore and the Duke Rigoletto. John's concert repertoire includes Handel's Messiah, Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, Mozart's Requiem, Karl Jenkins' The Armed Man, Rossini's Petite Messe Solennelle and Stabat Mater, Puccini's Messa di Gloria, Mendelssohn's Elijah and Verdi's Requiem.
Future plans include Pinkerton Madama Butterfly for Mid Wales Opera and concerts with the Orchestra of St John's in London and Oxford.
John's interests include photography, walking, sport, cooking and spending time with his fiancée and small daughter.
BBC Cardiff Singer of the World 2011: concert three repertoire
- Dies Bildnis ist bezaubernd schön (Die Zauberflöte) - Mozart
- Una furtiva lagrima (L'elisir d'amore) - Donizetti
- Lunge da lei ... De'miei bollenti spiriti (La traviata) - Verdi
- Je suis seul! ... Ah! fuyez, douce image (Manon) - Massenet
BBC Cardiff Singer of the World Song Prize 2011: recital one repertoire
- Fair house of joy (Op 12 No 7) - Quilter
- Now sleeps the crimson petal (Op 3 No 2) - Quilter
- Mae hiraeth yn y môr - Dilys Elwyn-Edwards
- Non t'amo più - Tosti
- Morire? - Puccini
- L'alba separa dalla luce l'ombra (Quattro canzoni d'Amaranta No 2) - Tosti