Wiard Witholt studied at the Amsterdam Conservatorium, at the New Opera Academy in Amsterdam, and now studies with David Wilson-Johnson. He has been a member of the Netherlands Opera Studio (OSN), and from 2006-2008 he will be a member of the Atelier Lyrique at the Opéra de Paris.
He has taken part in master classes with Jard van Nes, Robert Holl, Ann Murray, Graham Clark and Brigitte Fassbaender.
Oratorio performances include Christus in Bach's St Matthew and St John Passions, the Christmas Oratorio and the B-minor Mass, more than 40 Bach cantatas, the Brahms, Duruflé and Fauré Requiems, Rossini's Petite Messe Solennelle, Mendelssohn's St Paul and Elijah, Handel's Messiah and Belshazzar, and many other works.
Opera roles include Demetrius (A Midsummer Night's Dream), Papageno (Die Zauberflöte), Dr Falke (Die Fledermaus), Le Dancaire and Morales (Carmen), Second Prisoner and Don Fernando (Fidelio), Bobinet (La Vie Parisienne), Melisso (Alcina), Strapaviscere (Le Convenienze e le Inconvenienze Teatrali), and Testo (Il Combattimento di Tancredi e Clorinda) for Paris Opéra.
Future roles include Guglielmo (Così fan Tutte) and Junius (The Rape of Lucretia).
His hobbies include collecting recordings of classic singers, watching opera DVDs, skiing, cooking, keeping fit, and walking in the Swiss Alps in summer.
Repertoire details for Concert 3 and Recital 2:
Concert 3 - Tuesday 12 June
- Handel: The walls are levelled - See! the raging flames (Joshua)
- Mozart: Rivolgete a lui lo sguardo (Così fan tutte)
- Korngold: Mein Sehnen, mein Wähnen (Die tote Stadt)
- Britten: Now you may save your scornful looks (Owen Wingrave)
With the orchestra of WNO conducted by Carlo Rizzi
Recital 2 - Sunday 10 June
- Schubert: Der Musensohn (Op 92 No 1)
- Samuel De Lange: Herbstgefühl (Songs, Op 94 No 1)
- Samuel De Lange: Komm jetzt (Songs, Op 94 No 2)
- Duparc: Chanson triste
- Duparc: L'Invitation au voyage
Accompanist: Phillip Thomas