Coloratura soprano Mari Moriya earned her Bachelor and Master of Music degrees from The Musashino Academy of Music in her native Japan, and attended Mannes College of Music in the Professional Study Diploma program.
She has won several singing competitions including National finalist of Metropolitan Opera National Council Auditions, 1st prize Veronica Dunne International Singing Competition and Charles A Lynam Vocal Competition.
Mari Moriya made her Met debut this season as the Queen of Night in the acclaimed Julie Tamor production of Die Zauberflöte. Also this season she performed the Queen of Night with Portland Opera.
Last season she performed the role in concert with the National Symphony Orchestra at the Kennedy Center in Washington and with the Palm Beach Opera; and she was the soprano soloist in an all Handel Gala Concert with Connecticut Grand Opera where she also sang her first Susanna in Le Nozze di Figaro.
Past performances have included Elizetta in Il matrimonio segreto, Donna Elvira in Don Giovanni and Konstanze in Die Entführung aus dem Serail. In addition her repertoire includes title role Lucia di Lammermoor, Zerbinetta in Ariadne auf Naxos and title role Lakme.
Her hobbies include reading and cinema.
Repertoire details for Concert 4 and Recital 3:
Concert 4 - Wednesday 13 June
- Bellini: Qui la voce sua soave... Vien, diletto (I Puritani)
- Verdi: Gualtier Maldè - Caro nome (Rigoletto)
- Mozart: Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen (Die Zauberflöte)
With BBC National Orchestra of Wales conducted by Jacek Kaspszyk
Recital 3 - Monday 11 June
- Debussy: Pantomime (Fêtes Galantes pour Madame Vasnier No 1)
- Debussy: Clair de Lune (Fêtes Galantes pour Madame Vasnier No 4)
- Debussy: Pierrot
- Debussy: Apparition
- R Strauss: Als mir dein Lied erklang (Songs, Op 68 No 4)
- R Strauss: Amor (Songs, Op 68 No 5)
Accompanist: Simon Lepper