Andrew Kennedy was born in Ashington, and studied in Cambridge and London. He became a Royal Opera Vilar Young Artist in 2003 and a BBC New Generation Artist in 2004.
Roles for the Royal Opera have included Normanno Lucia di Lammermoor, Nathanael Les contes d'Hoffmann, Michaelis The Greek Passion and in 2005, Pang Turandot and Rodrigo Otello.
Concert work includes Bach's Christmas Oratorio and St Matthew Passion with the London Handel Orchestra, Sir Peter Maxwell Davies Canticum Canticorum in Nürnberg, Britten's Nocturne with BBC NOW, a recital of songs on texts by James Joyce for BBC Voices, Janácek's Diary Of One Who Vanished at Covent Garden, and recitals at the Ludlow Festival, and at the Linbury Theatre, Covent Garden.
Future plans after the 2005 competition included Flute A Midsummer Night's Dream for the Royal Opera, Tamino The Magic Flute and Fenton Sir John in Love for English National Opera, Ferrando Così fan tutte for Glyndebourne Touring Opera, Jaquino Fidelio with the London Symphony Orchestra (recorded for LSO live) Britten's Serenade for Tenor, horn and strings with the CBSO at the Three Choirs Festival, Gloucester, and concert appearances with the BBC orchestras, and studio recitals for BBC Radio 3.
In his spare time Andrew enjoys walking from Grantchester to Cambridge and looking after his beautiful baby boy, Theo.
Singer of the World with Orchestra Concert 2 repertoire
- Mozart: Un'aura amorosa, Così fan tutte
- Berlioz: Ah je vais l'aimer, Béatrice et Bénédict
- Tchaikovsky: Kuda, kuda, Eugene Onegin
- Stravinsky: Here I stand...Since it is not by merit, The Rake's Progress
Rosenblatt Recital Song Prize Concert 1 repertoire
- Richard Strauss: Heimliche Aufforderung, 4 Songs Op 27 No 3
- Trad arr Britten: O Waly, Waly, Folk Song Arrangements Vol 3
- Wolf: Der Tambour, Mörike-Lieder
- Schubert: Der Schiffer, Songs Op 21 No 2
- Duparc: Phidylé
- Rakhmaninov: Vesenniye vodï, 12 Songs Op 14 No 11
- Handel: Crudel tiranno amor, Cantata HWV 97
- Mozart: Constanze! Constanze!...O wie ängstlich, Die Entführung aus dem Serail
- Donizetti: Povero Ernesto!...Cercherò lontana terra, Don Pasquale
- Richard Strauss: Cäcilie, 4 Songs Op 27 No 2