Last updated: 29 April 2010
Award-winning author Menna Elfyn is arguably Wales' best-known modern Welsh language poet. She has written over 20 books of poetry, prose and educational works. (Photograph © Madeleine Waller)
Born in 1952, she lives in Llandysul, Ceredigion when not travelling internationally for readings and other literary work. Known primarily for her poetic output, Elfyn has also scribed radio and stage plays, scripts for television, educational text books and libretti.
Her first bilingual book of poetry, Eucalyptus: Detholiad O Gerddi/Selected Poems 1978-1994, was published in 1995. She has written books and poetry collections for children which include Rana Rebel (2002) and Caneri Pinc ar Dywod Euraid (2003).
In 2002 she was appointed to the year-long post as the Children's Laureate for Wales and in 2003 was shortlisted for the Evelyn Encelot European Prize for Women Poets.
She is the Writing Director of the MA Creative Writing Programme at Trinity College, Carmarthen and is the mother of successful writer and musician Fflur Dafydd.
- Mwyara (1976)
- Stafelloedd Aros (1978)
- Tro'r Haul Arno (1982)
- Aderyn Bach Mewn Llaw: Detholiad O Gerddi, 1976-1990 (1990)
- Eucalyptus: Detholiad o Gerddi / Selected Poems 1978-1994 (1995)
- Cell Angel (1996)
- Ffwl Yn Y Dwr: Casgliad O Gerddi I Bobl Ifanc (1999)
- Cusan Dyn Dall/Blind Man's Kiss (2001)
- Rana Rebel (2002)
- Caneri Pinc ar Dywod Euraid (2003)
- Perffaith Nam (2005)
- Perfect Blemish: New and Selected Poems 1995-2007 (2007)