The script of this programme 本節目台詞
Li: Hi Neil, how are you?
Neil: I'm fine thanks Li, how are you?
Li: I'm good. Are you free on Saturday evening? I'm holding a small dinner party.
Neil: Saturday? Yeah, that would be fantastic but I'd better check with my other half.
Li: Your other half? 你說什麼，你的另一半？
Neil: Yes I'm not sure if my wife has anything planned for Saturday.
Li: Oh! I didn't know you call your wife your other half. That's interesting.
Neil: Yes. That's a phrase often used by married couples to refer to each other.
Li: 原來 other half 就是我們漢語裏的「我那位」。Let's hear some more examples:
- A: How's your other half? Is she feeling better?
- B: Oh yes, she is much better, thanks.
- Lady: I like the colour of the car but I should ask my other half before I buy it.
- A: Fancy another pint, John?
- B: I'd love another pint but I promised my other half I'll be home early.
Neil: So, people often refer to their partner as their other half.
Li: Can this phrase be used to refer to both a husband and a wife?
Neil: Yes, that's correct. And sometimes a man will refer to his wife as his 'better half'.
Li: Better half? 更好的一半？Of course the woman is always the better half! Wouldn't you agree?
Neil: Of course! My wife always reminds me that she's my better half!
Li: Let's listen to a couple of examples:
- A: Oh what a lovely room, you've made a great job of this.
- B: Thanks, but compliments should really go to my better half, she chose all the colours and the furniture.
- A: Thanks for dinner last night. The food was fantastic!
- B: You're welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was a fun evening. I'm really lucky, my better half is a great cook. I just have to do all the washing up.
Li: 聽出來了 better half 通常都是丈夫用來說妻子的。I'm sure your wife thinks you are the better half although she may not say it.
Neil: I hope so.
Li: Well, just check with your better half and let me know if you are coming on Saturday.
Neil: I will do, thank you.