Cook's Monument Small monument, 1778. Formerly situated
on the Shell Bridge in the Elysian Fields; currently dismantled
and in store but works are underway towards its reinstatement.
The pleasure grounds are in the process of restoration.
Arch Forms the entrance from the Elysian fields into the
gardens to the south of the house. View from the arch of the
Palladian Bridge, Stowe Castle and the Temple of British Worthies.
Stonework and plaster decaying. A temporary felt roof has
been installed until the lead can be properly repaired.
Statue of George I Lead equestrian statue, 1723, by John
Van Nost, situated to the north of the house in the entrance
forecourt. Stone base decaying and inscriptions on slate eroding.
Built in 1739, and altered extensively mid 18th century. Situated
at the northern end of the Elysian Fields, views to the south
over Elysian Fields and serpentine rivers. Some work has been
done on flanking tunnels, security gates are installed, but
there is water ingress through the roof.
House Country house, 1680, situated in extensive landscaped
park. Extensive repairs have been carried out on the house
but further work is needed. Repair of north colonnades is
complete & repairs to north patico is underway.
of Friendship Garden temple, 1739, situated in the south-east
corner of the pleasure gardens, close to the Palladian Bridge
and with views to the north over the lake and Hawkwell Field
beyond. The Tuscan portico has been consolidated and has a
new roof, however the cella and two flanking loggias remain
Corinthian Arch Monumental arch, 1765 containing two houses
& situated in the park, c1.15km south-south-east of the house.
Arch is on main north-south axis with the house & the Lake
Pavilions which lie c600m to the north of arch, & terminates
the view south from the house. The roof & masonry are deteriorating.
Lake Pavilions Two garden pavilions c1730 by Vanbrugh,
altered & resited 1764, situated on southern edge of pleasure
grounds. They are on the same axis as house & the Corinthian
Arch, which lies c800m to the south, & frame the view of the
arch from the house. General holding repairs completed, further
Palladian Bridge Covered bridge built in 1738; attributed
to James Gibbs, situated in the south-east corner of the pleasure
grounds. Bridge is viewed from the west across the Octagon
Lake, and from the north-west and north across Hawkwell Fields.
Steady decay of the roof covering, ceiling plaster and masonry.
Holding repairs have been carried out, but more work needed.
Queens Temple Pavilion of 1740, attributed to James Gibbs,
remodelled 1770. The main views from the temple are to the
south, over the fields to the Gothic temple, Palladian Bridge
and Temple of Friendship. In use but masonry badly decayed.
West Boycott Pavilion One of pair of large stone pavilions,
c1728, by James Gibbs, incorporating domestic accommodation.
Situated on one side of the Oxford Avenue, at the south-west
of The Course which is the main approach to the house. Work
is needed to masonry.
Wolfe Obelisk Tall stone obelisk c1760 standing in the
park, 1km north of the house. Long term neglect has resulted
in advanced deterioration of masonry.