BBC HomeExplore the BBC
This page has been archived and is no longer updated. Find out more about page archiving.

24 September 2014

BBC Homepage
»BBC Local
Beds, Herts & Bucks
Things to do
People & Places
Religion & Ethics
Arts and Culture
BBC Introducing
TV & Radio

Neighbouring Sites

  • Berkshire
  • Cambridgeshire
  • Essex
  • London
  • Northampton
  • Oxford
  • Related BBC Sites


    Contact Us

    Sports Features

    Hertford Town v Edgware Town
    Hertford Town v Edgware Town

    Hertford Town v Edgware - 14/08/04

    Kevin Coleman reports from Hertford
    Last season, Hertford's three games against the Wares netted 10 goals for and none against. Therefore, Saturday's 0-0 draw was something of a disappointment.

    Hertford Town v Edgware Town - 14/08/04
    Hertford Town 0Edgware Town 0

    Edgware have made much of their new found financial clout and made big offers to both Kevin Cooper and Dave Butler during the close season. Coops declined but Dave Butler was missing from today's game as he pondered who to sign for.

    Edgware's biggest signing has been goalkeeper Darren Bonfield, who last season appeared for champions Leighton Town. Bonfield once cost Hemel Hempstead Town £8,000.

     With Butler unsigned, Glenn Draper suspended, Daniel Staples, Joel Maybury injured and Dave Greenwood on holiday, Manager Brian Owen gave starts to left back Gary Smith and ex-pro Dean Wordsworth. Lacking match fitness, Wordsworth only started because Lee Roberts was carrying a knock and could only make the bench.

    After a slow start, the game came to light after 5 minutes when new boy Dean Wordsworth found himself in front of goal, but 'keeper Bonfield made a fine save to thwart him.

    Blues' first corner on 8 minutes was taken on the left by Billy Wingrove, who found Matt Seldon, only for the midfielder to put the ball wide. On 11 minutes, Wordsworth put in Kevin Cooper, just back from holiday in Mexico. Coops beat Bonfield but also the far post.

     After 25 minutes the prominent Phil Goss was injured and stayed down for quite a time. The referee sensibly allowed the players to take drinks in the searing heat. Dean Wordsworth, although clearly not match fit was showing some great touches, and cleverly won a corner as the game resumed.

    On 29 minutes, the referee awarded a corner to Edgware, when Leo Turner was erroneously adjudged to have touched the ball last. The ball was cleared by Seldon, who found Billy Wingrove.

    The midfielder ran on and his fine lob went just over the bar. Edgware were not creating many chances, but Adil Salih tried a long range effort on 33 minutes which Lee Robinson held well.

    After 35 minutes, Dean Wordsworth went down in the box appealing for a penalty. Initially the referee awarded a goalkick, but revised this to a corner on the advice of his assistant.

    Adrian Robinson, who had been patrolling midfield well moved forwards after 38 minutes and tried his luck against the giant Bonfield, but to no avail. Half Time: Hertford Town 0 Edgware Town 0

    Edgware came out in the second half as if they really wanted to take control of the game. Wayne Grant twice came close to scoring in the first five minutes, first after Phil Goss had misjudged the bounce and allowed Grant to head onto the roof of the net. Then, on 49 minutes, the no.9 fired in a great close range shot which Lee Robinson palmed away quite brilliantly.

    On 52 minutes though, Hertford threatened. Kevin Cooper again linked well with Dean Wordsworth, but the ex-Stevenage man's shot was saved by Bonfield. Wordsworth was withdrawn on 57 minutes to appreciative applause, to be replaced by Lee Roberts.

    On the hour, Adil Salih shot narrowly over for the 'Wares and then Phil Goss cleared brilliantly from a yard out to thwart the visitors. Hertford made a second substitution on 67 minutes as the not yet match-fit Seldon made way for Bradley Anderson.

     Anderson went up front with Cooper and Roberts dropped back to midfield. Edgware were looking the fitter side at this stage and looked the most likely scorers.

    In truth, Hertford hardly made a chance after Wordsworth came off - the best effort being a Goss cross which Cooper just brushed with his head when a firm contact might have broken the deadlock. With the home bench nervously awaiting the final whistle, the Blues rallied a little in the final few minutes, but in the end, 0-0 was perhaps a fair result.


    Hertford Town 1. L Robinson; 2. Phil Goss (capt), 3. Gary Smith, 4. Leo Turner, 5. Danny Wackett, 6. Adrian Robinson, 7. Billy Wingrove, 8. Phil Leggatt, 9. Matt Seldon, 10. Kevin Cooper, 11. Dean Wordsworth. Subs: 12. Bradley Anderson (for Seldon, 67) 15. Lee Roberts (for Wordsworth, 57)

    Edgware Town 1. Darren Bonfield; 2. James Parsons, 3. Glen Parry, 4. Steve Gray, 5. Ben Reid, 6. Chase Casson, 7. Ian Kennedy, 8. Adil Salih, 9. Wayne Grant, 10. Anthony Thomas, 11. Bruno Santos. Subs: 16. Ross Stout (for Grant, 69), 17. Lamin N'Dour (for Santos, 81)

    last updated: 17/08/04
    Go to the top of the page

    BBC Three Counties Radio

    About the BBC | Help | Terms of Use | Privacy & Cookies Policy