- Freelancers should submit invoices to the BBC for work completed.
- The BBC's method of payment is BACS, i.e. by electronic transfer directly into your bank account - this is faster, more secure, and payment runs are made daily.
- Invoices are required for fees and personal expenses, but not for disbursements.
Key points in the engagement and payment process
- You will need to have a contract of engagement and a Purchase Order before any work starts.
- Invoices cannot be paid if they do not match the Purchase Order value exactly.
- All invoices are sent directly to BBC Accounts Payable:
- The address is also quoted on the Purchase Order.
- Fees and expenses must be on separate Purchase Orders.
- Get in touch with your BBC contact to amend your Purchase Order to avoid delays in payment.
- If the invoice is sent to a BBC contact, they will forward it to BBC Accounts Payable for processing, this will delay payment.
- Invoices cannot be part paid.
- If you wish to consolidate multiple payments into a single payment, you should submit a single invoice with all purchase order and line numbers clearly stated.
- Since your invoice will be scanned electronically, it should be printed in black ink on white A4 paper.
- Click here for an example of an invoice
blank template that you can use to create your own invoices.
- Invoices are checked for compliance, i.e. they must conform to certain standards.
Fully compliant invoices
- Fully compliant invoices are normally processed, ready for payment, by BBC Accounts Payable within ten working days of receipt.
- Payment will generate a remittance advice
. If the payment is by BACS, the remittance advice will include the BACS reference.
- BACS payments are usually cleared funds within 3 working days of the payment run.
- Non-compliant invoices will be rejected.
- If an invoice is returned to you, it will be accompanied by an explanatory letter and instructions.
- Please take care to return your amended invoice to the correct destination as instructed in the supporting letter - either to BBC Accounts Payable or to a contact in the BBC.
If you have any queries about payment of an invoice
Any queries regarding a payment should be directed to:
External: 020 7326 9760
Please quote your invoice reference number.
Changing your details
If you want to change your address and/or payment details on the BBC system, you should inform the person you are currently working for or the person who next engages you. They will follow the BBC's internal procedures for updating your details. Please do not contact Accounts Payable directly for this service, as they cannot make these changes.
You can find more information about claiming expenses here.
You need to have Acrobat Reader installed to view the PDF documents above (). You can download this software by following the
WebWise step-by-step guide to downloading Adobe Acrobat.