MotoGP: Dani Pedrosa takes Catalunya pole from Cal Crutchlow
Catalunya Grand Prix
- Circuit de Catalunya, Barcelona
- Sunday 16 June :
- Moto2 & 3 races: 09:45 BST, Red Button and online, MotoGP race: 12:30 BST, BBC Two/HD and online, Moto GP extra: 14:05 BST
Dani Pedrosa stormed to pole position for the Catalunya Grand Prix as Cal Crutchlow continued his fine start to the season by qualifying second.
Pedrosa was six tenths of a second faster than everyone else, while Crutchlow edged world champion Jorge Lorenzo, who will start third.
Alvaro Bautista was fourth, with Nicky Hayden fifth and Marc Marquez sixth.
Nine-time world champion Valentino Rossi - - could only manage seventh.
Pedrosa ensured he will start his 200th GP on Sunday from the front by breaking the lap record held by Casey Stoner as track temperatures hit 52C in Barcelona.
Crutchlow has been on the podium in each of the last two races but believes it will be difficult to make it three.
He told BBC Sport: "We did a good enough job. I've not been on the front row for a little while.
"It will be a big battle in the race as there are eight guys on the same pace, but the gap to Dani is a lot.
"I'll aim for the top five and if we get on the podium I'll be delighted. We are just continuing our form we've had all season."
Catalunya qualifying positions
1. Dani Pedrosa (Spa) Repsol Honda 1'40.893
2. Cal Crutchlow (GB) Tech 3 Yamaha 1'41.501
3. Jorge Lorenzo (Spa) Yamaha 1'41.566
4. Alvaro Bautista (Spa) Gresini Honda 1'41.714
5. Nicky Hayden (US) Ducati 1'41.800
6. Marc Marquez (Spa) Repsol Honda 1'41.842
7. Valentino Rossi (Ita) Yamaha 1'41.959
8. Andrea Iannone (Ita) Pramac Ducati 1'41.963
9. Andrea Dovizioso (Ita) Ducati 1'42.053
10. Stefan Bradl (Ger) LCR Honda 1'42.090