Formula 1 gossip: Hamilton, Mercedes, Alonso, Ricciardo, Horner, Wehrlein, Stroll

Lewis Hamilton
Mercedes have won the Constructors' Championship in each of the last three seasons and Lewis Hamilton was the fastest on day one of testing in Barcelona

Tuesday, 28 February

Lewis Hamilton says his new Mercedes looks "1,000 times better" than any of the other cars in 2017. (Eurosport)

McLaren's Fernando Alonso expressed his disappointment after engine problems meant he could only complete six laps on the first day of testing. "I have three days to prepare for a world championship, it's not an ideal situation," said Alonso. (Reuters)

Despite a frustrating start to testing, Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo remained positive. He wrote on Twitter: "Day one is done. Slow start to the day but got some good laps in the afternoon. More to come but nice to get the ball rolling. Cars look good."

Red Bull racing boss Christian Horner says the cars for 2017 "look fantastic" but does not like the "shark fins" at the back of the cars. Horner adds that Red Bull tried to get the designs changed but the other teams rejected the idea. (F1i.com)

Red Bull
"The only thing that lets the cars down is the shark fins," says Red Bull racing boss Christian Horner

Sauber's Pascal Wehrlein hopes to be fit for second testing, which starts on 7 March. He is not involved in the first testing as he recovers after crashing during the Race of Champions event in January. (Motorsport Week)

Organisers of the Chinese Grand Prix are looking to sign a new contract for the race. They have a deal to host the race for only this year, but the organisers, who have backing from the Chinese government, want to host the grand prix annually until 2020. (China Daily)

The Russian Grand Prix is set to be part of the Formula 1 calendar until 2025. (Sports Mole)

Haas team principal Guenther Steiner expects his team to do better in 2017 than the eighth place they gained in their debut season last year. (Fox Sports Asia)

Eighteen-year-old Williams driver Lance Stroll says he "feels as prepared" as he can be before his first Formula 1 race in Australia next month. (The Chequered Flag)

Formula 1 teams have been permitted to film and upload short videos on their social media channels during the first week of testing as new F1 owner Liberty Media is keen to exploit digital and social media. (Autosport)

Monday, 27 February

Felipe Massa
Felipe Massa reversed his decision to retire and stayed at Williams - and he seems happy to have done so

McLaren driver Fernando Alonso quipped former team-mate Lewis Hamilton might have beaten Nico Rosberg to the 2016 title "if he was watching more data" from the German. (Crash.net)

The similarities between the Mercedes front suspension and that of the Toro Rosso are a coincidence, according to the latter team's technical director James Key. (ESPN)

Force India's Esteban Ocon says he has had to "force feed" himself to put on extra weight to deal with the physical demands the new F1 rules are likely to put on drivers. (Autosport)

McLaren chief Eric Boullier hopes the change of rules will help his team return to challenging at the front end of the grid. (Planet F1)

Top Stories

Get Inspired Activity Finder

Run by the BBC and partners

Find ways to get active near you: