Formula 1 gossip and rumours from international media

SUNDAY 28 APRIL

Robert Kubica has confirmed rumours that he has driven in Mercedes' F1 simulator. The Pole, who has not raced in F1 since a rallying accident forced him out of the sport in early 2011, has a close relationship with Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff.

Robert Kubica
Mercedes' Toto Wolff helped arrange a German Touring Car (DTM) test for Kubica in February

Full story: Autosport

A night race on the streets of Bangkok has moved a step closer after the Thai government confirmed circuit plans had been approved for a Grand Prix of Thailand in 2015.

Full story: Sky Sports

Flavio Briatore says he has it in writing that he had no involvement in the 2008 Singapore crash scandal. The former Renault team principal was banned from F1 after Renault driver Nelson Piquet Jr deliberately crashed to help team-mate Fernando Alonso win the race.

Full story: ESPN

McLaren driver Sergio Perez has denied apologising to team-mate Jenson Button, after Button accused him of dangerous driving in Bahrain. The Mexican said he only felt it necessary to apologise to the team, because they were both "very aggressive".

Full story: The Guardian

SATURDAY 27 APRIL

Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton insists that Sebastian Vettel will not run away with the 2013 title, despite the defending champion winning for the second time this season in Bahrain.

Full story: Crash.net

Sebastian Vettel and Lewis Hamilton
Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel (left) sits 10 points clear of closest rival Kimi Raikkonen after four races

Pre-season testing for 2014 may start in January, with the switch to 1.6-litre V6 turbo power engines requiring teams to design all-new cars for next season.

Full story: Autosport

Force India deputy team principal Bob Fernley says Paul di Resta would be world champion by now if he was driving a Red Bull. Di Resta equalled the best result of his F1 career in Bahrain by finishing fourth, but is still searching for his first podium after 43 races.

Full story: ESPN F1

Sauber team principal Monisha Kaltenborn says it is too early to judge rookie Esteban Gutierrez. The 21-year-old Mexican is the youngest driver on the grid and has had a difficult start to the season, managing only a 14th place and having been handed a five-place grid penalty for Bahrain after crashing into Adrian Sutil in China.

Full story: Autosport

Ferrari's Fernando Alonso has tweeted a picture of him playing football wearing an Italian shirt.

Fernando Alonso on Twitter

THURSDAY 25 APRIL

Seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher is to drive a 2011 Mercedes Formula 1 car around the famous Nurburgring Nordschliefe circuit before the 24-hour race there on 19 May. "Posting a lap in a modern Silver Arrow on the most beautiful and most testing circuit in the world, what a brilliant mix," Schumacher said. "It's every motor racing driver's dream."

(Mercedes)

Mercedes motorsport director Toto Wolff wants the Silver Arrows to be among the four top teams in the constructors' championship and have a driver among the top four at the end of the season.

Vitantonio Liuzzi in a 2011 HRT
Pirelli are putting a 2011 HRT on eBay for a charity auction after it became surplus to requirements

Full story: Formula 1

Tyre manufacturer Pirelli are to put a 2011 HRT Formula 1 car up for a charity auction on eBay after it became surplus to requirements.

Full story: Metro

Scottish driver Paul di Resta says Force India are "very close" to scoring the team's second podium after he just missed out in Bahrain. Giancarlo Fisichella is the only man to have stood on the podium in Force India colours when he finished second in the 2009 Belgian Grand Prix.

Full story: DNA India

A three-day young driver test is set to take place at Silverstone on 17-19 July 2013.

Full story: BBC 5 live pit lane reporter Jennie Gow on Twitter

Mercedes driver Nico Rosberg will make a guest appearance at Hockenheim for the opening round of the German Touring Car series (DTM) on 4 and 5 May.

Full story: DTM

WEDNESDAY 24 APRIL

Porsche opted for a return to top-flight sportscar racing over Formula 1 because it has more relevance to road cars.

Full story: Autocar

Mark Webber
Webber, who celebrated his 200th race in Bahrain, doubts he'll break Rubens Barrichello's record

Mercedes will have switched more than half of its workforce to its 2014 Formula 1 car by May, says the firm's motorsport boss Toto Wolff.

Full story: Autosport

Red Bull's Mark Webber, who celebrated his 200th race in Sunday's Bahrain Grand Prix, doubts he will remain in Formula 1 long enough to beat Rubens Barrichello's record for starting the most races of 322.

Full story: F1 Fanatic

Lotus team principal Eric Boullier says the team will help Kimi Raikkonen try to "force Sebastian Vettel to crack under pressure".

Full story: ESPN F1

TUESDAY 23 APRIL

Jenson Button has tweeted that he and team-mate Sergio Perez have "cleared the air" after Button accused the Mexican of dangerous driving in Bahrain.

Jenson Button on Twitter

Meanwhile, Perez uploaded a picture of the two McLaren drivers battling in Bahrain to his Instagram, with the caption "nice memory".

Sergio Perez on Instagram

McLaren Bahrain
Jenson Button said team mate Sergio Perez needed to "calm down" following their on-track battle in Bahrain

Pirelli is expected to hold talks in its Milan factory on Tuesday to discuss possible changes to their tyre strategy going into the European races. The season's first four races were dominated by tyre-wear strategy, drawing criticism from Red Bull Team Principal Christian Horner.

Full story: IOL Motoring

From the Spanish Grand Prix onwards, Pirelli are set to give teams running rookie drivers in first practice an extra set of tyres. This in an attempt to encourage more on-track action for spectators.

Full story: Autosport

Kimi Raikkonen's trainer says the Finn suffered an allergic reaction just prior to the Bahrain Grand Prix on Sunday. He was reportedly late for the pre-race driver parade, and suffers from allergies affecting his skin three or four times a year.

Full story: Motorsport

Sebastian Vettel says the Sochi Olympic Park Circuit is very impressive after driving part of the track in a road car on Monday. The circuit is still under construction, but is set to host the inaugural Russian Grand Prix next year.

Full story: James Allen on F1

MONDAY 22 APRIL

Red Bull driver Mark Webber and team owner Dietrich Mateschitz are scheduled to have a "private conversation" on Monday.

Mark Webber and Dietrich Mateschitz
Mark Webber will reportedly have talks with Red Bull owner Dietrich Mateschitz on Monday

Full story: Motorsport

Fernando Alonso has tweeted a picture of him smiling with the caption "Good Morning!! Smile!!!", despite dropping from second to eighth after his DRS overtaking aid failed in Bahrain, leaving the Ferrari driver 30 points off the championship lead.

Fernando Alonso on Twitter

Pirelli's director of motorsport Paul Hembery is sure track debris caused Felipe Massa's tyre problems in Bahrain. The Ferrari driver was forced to make two extra pit stops at the Sakhir circuit after his rear tyres deflated.

Full story: Autosport

Scotland's Paul di Resta refuses to be downbeat after he narrowly missed out on his first podium finish in Bahrain, with his Force India finishing fourth behind the Lotus of Romain Grosjean.

Full story: Autosport

SUNDAY 21 APRIL

Kimi Raikkonen
Raikkonen has been linked with a move from Lotus to Red Bull for next season

Lotus driver Kimi Raikkonen insists he has given no thought to his future beyond the current season amid renewed speculation that the Finn may replace Mark Webber at Red Bull in 2014.

Full story: Sport 360

Championship leader Sebastian Vettel doesn't need to worry about making friends, providing he keeps winning, according to Red Bull's motorsport advisor Helmut Marko.

Full story: Crash.net

Mercedes team principal Ross Brawn believes the gearbox penalty regulations should be revisited after Lewis Hamilton received a five-place penalty in Bahrain following damage from a tyre failure.

Full story: ESPN F1

FRIDAY 19 APRIL

Lewis Hamilton has pleaded with Mercedes not to ditch boss Ross Brawn in favour of McLaren's technical director Paddy Lowe who is currently on gardening leave.

Full story: Daily Mirror

Hamilton also revealed that he tried to see his old McLaren team during pre-season testing in Jerez, but sporting director Sam Michael threw him out of the garage.

Mark Webber
The future of the Brazilian Grand Prix at Interlagos appears safe after officials promised a venue revamp

Full story: F1.com

Bahrain is eyeing a return to a season-opening slot on the Formula 1 calendar, with a test at Sakhir preceding it.

Full story: Reuters

The future of the Brazilian Grand Prix in Sao Paulo appears to be secure as F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone has received assurances the Interlagos circuit is to finally get a revamp.

Full story: Sporting Life

Red Bull's Mark Webber hopes he used up all his bad luck in China last weekend.

Full story: Reuters

Webber and Ferrari's Fernando Alonso had dinner together in Dubai this week, with Webber saying they spoke about cycling. Alonso paid the bill.

Full story: La Gazetta dello Sport

Heikki Kovalainen believes Caterham needs to take a new set-up direction with its car having had his first taste of the CT03 during FP1 for the Bahrain Grand Prix.

Full story: ESPN F1

THURSDAY 18 APRIL

Britain's Lewis Hamilton feels he has yet to fully settle in at Mercedes, despite the fact he is in the early running for this year's world title.

Full story: Daily Express

Meanwhile, Hamilton's team principal Ross Brawn says Sunday's Bahrain Grand Prix will prove whether the 2008 world champion has a car which is capable of fighting for the world championship.

Mark Webber
Webber, who made his debut in 2002, will contest his 200th grand prix this weekend in Bahrain

Full story: Daily Mirror

Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali says the team need to improve their form in qualifying ahead of this weekend's Bahrain Grand Prix.

Full story: Ferrari

Domenicali also hailed Marussia driver and Ferrari Driver Academy member Jules Bianchi's "great" start to the season.

Full story: Autosport

Lotus owner Gerard Lopez says he is happy to wait for the right deal before signing a title sponsor to the team.

Full story: ESPN F1

Red Bull's Mark Webber will take part in the 200th grand prix of his career this weekend in Bahrain.

Full story: Reuters

McLaren's Jenson Button has a new tattoo. It's an image of a tortoise shell etched into his upper arm and shoulder, which is a symbol of protection.

Full story: the Sun

Marussia reserve driver Rodolfo Gonzalez will take part in a Formula 1 practice session for the first time when he gets behind the wheel of Bianchi's MR02 in first practice for the Bahrain Grand Prix on Friday.

Full story: Marussia

Caterham reserve driver Alexander Rossi spent the day with the US Navy on Thursday.

Alexander Rossi on Twitter

Former Williams F1 chairman Adam Parr has joined Sported, a foundation dedicated to securing the legacy of London 2012.

Full story: Sported

WEDNESDAY 17 APRIL

FIA president Jean Todt
The head of Formula 1's governing body, Jean Todt, will not attend this weekend's race in Bahrain.

FIA president Jean Todt is again under the spotlight for failing to travel to Bahrain for the grand prix despite the ongoing demonstrations against the event.

Full story: ESPN

Lotus has faith that Romain Grosjean will get on top of his early season troubles.

Full story: Autosport

Giedo van der Garde says he holds no fears over losing his race seat as the 2013 season progresses, following the news that Heikki Kovalainen is returning to Caterham as its reserve driver to complete practice sessions in Bahrain and Spain.

Full story: GP Update

Sao Paulo's mayor has dismissed reports Bernie Ecclestone is close to dropping the Brazilian Grand Prix at Interlagos from the F1 calendar after 2013.

Full story: F1 Today

Force India's Paul di Resta is to have clear the air talks with team-mate Adrian Sutil after they clashed on the first lap of the Chinese Grand Prix.

Full story: Daily Mirror

TUESDAY 16 APRIL

Lotus have played down reports that Kimi Raikkonen will leave the team for Red Bull at the end of the season. Mark Webber's future at Red Bull is in doubt following the recent team orders controversy.

Kimi Raikkonen and Sebastian Vettel
Red Bull owner Dietrich Mateschitz recently said Raikkonen was 'always a candidate' at his team.

Full story: Autosport

McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh has called on Sergio Perez to "toughen up" if he is to make a name for himself at the team.

Full story: The Telegraph

Lewis Hamilton has identified Ferrari's Fernando Alonso as the man he must beat if he is to win the world championship in his first season with Mercedes.

Full story: Daily Mail

Webber has reportedly visited the Porsche factory in Weissach near Stuttgart, amid speculation that he will make a move to the Le Mans outfit next season.

Full story: Bild (in German)

However, Porsche have denied reports it has agreed a five-year contract to move Webber from F1 to its Le Mans prototype project from 2014.

Full story: Motorsport

Top Stories

Get Inspired Activity Finder

Run by the BBC and partners

Find ways to get active near you: