Newport County 2-1 Rochdale
Rochdale had to be content with third place in League Two after Kevin Feely's late looping header gave 10-man Newport County a shock win.
Chesterfield's 2-1 win over Fleetwood saw them take the title.
George Donnelly put Rochdale ahead before Aaron O'Connor marked his return from injury with a scrambled equaliser.
Matthew Lund had an 83rd-minute penalty saved by Ian McLoughlin after Ryan Jackson had been sent off for bringing down Ian Henderson.
Newport's 14th-place finish marked a season of consolidation after their promotion from the Conference Premier at the end of last season.
Newport County manager Justin Edinburgh told BBC Radio Wales:
"It's fantastic. We've had a brilliant season and accomplished what we set out to do and to round it off with a victory against a promoted side was a fantastic end to the season.
"And it's a credit to the players because I think they have been absolutely outstanding all year."
Rochdale manager Keith Hill told BBC Radio Manchester:
" You have to lose games to learn about yourselves.
"We shouldn't really in this financial world be competing against Scunthorpe and Chesterfield for the title so it's been a great race."
- 18JacksonBooked at 84mins
- 11ZebroskiSubstituted forJeffersat 81'minutes
- 10O'ConnorSubstituted forJolleyat 66'minutes
- 17FlynnBooked at 72minsSubstituted forMinshullat 74'minutes
- 25RoseSubstituted forDoneat 73'minutes
- 12LundBooked at 65mins
- 14HerySubstituted forLynchat 56'minutes
- 40HendersonBooked at 90mins
- 9DonnellySubstituted forBunneyat 72'minutes
- James Adcock
- Shots on Target