Bristol City 1-0 Walsall
Sam Baldock netted his second penalty in successive games to give Bristol City a Boxing Day victory over Walsall.
The home side were awarded a spot-kick after 16 minutes when Saddlers keeper Richard O'Donnell tripped Bobby Reid as he burst into the box.
Baldock drilled the penalty down the middle but squandered two chances to double the lead before the interval.
Walsall came out brighter in the second half but were unable to force a testing save from home keeper Elliott Parish.
VIEW FROM THE DRESSING ROOM
Walsall manager Dean Smith told BBC WM:
"It's frustrating. We were nowhere near the standards that we are capable of, but credit to Bristol City. They were the better side, they did their job and got the points.
"We were below average. We just didn't perform and, in the end, it was the right result.
"We gave it a go at the start of the second half, but there was no tempo about us."
- 14ReidSubstituted forShoreyat 28'minutesSubstituted forBryanat 78'minutes
- 10Emmanuel-ThomasBooked at 45minsSubstituted forBurnsat 66'minutes
- 21PackBooked at 83mins
- 2PurkissBooked at 43mins
- 4ButlerBooked at 90mins
- 10WestcarrBooked at 82minsSubstituted forGrayat 84'minutes
- 9LalkovicSubstituted forHewittat 73'minutes
- 16BaxendaleSubstituted forHemmingsat 64'minutes
- David Webb
- Shots on Target