Notts County 0-1 Preston North End
Iain Hume claimed all three points for Preston to see Notts County drop to the foot of the League One table.
Before the break, Declan Rudd denied County's Greg Tempest, while Fabian Spiess stopped Stuart Beavon from breaking the deadlock for the visitors.
Callum McGregor fired high for the Magpies before Adam Coombes's header forced a fine save from Rudd.
But Hume came off the bench to tap in the winner from Scott Laird's low cross towards the end of the second half.
Chris Kiwomya's Notts County slipped to bottom of the table after Bristol City earned their first league win in 22 matches against Carlisle, while high-flying Preston remain in fourth.
VIEW FROM THE DRESSING ROOM
Notts County manager Chris Kiwomya told BBC Radio Nottingham:
"I think we played with passion and commitment and there was nothing between the teams.
"It was a hard-fought game, but there was just one mistake at the end.
"We had a lot of youngsters out there and players out of position. We gave it our all and I am very proud of them.
"I'm trying to do the right thing here and the players are doing well. I'm working hard and I'll be there on Tuesday unless I'm told otherwise."
- 25TempestSubstituted forBellat 71'minutes
- 16LabadieSubstituted forMurrayat 83'minutes
- 28BoucaudBooked at 67mins
- 14CoombesBooked at 27minsSubstituted forHaberat 74'minutes
- 10HaynesBooked at 45mins
- 19WelshBooked at 44mins
- 10BeavonSubstituted forGarnerat 63'minutes
- 9DaviesBooked at 35minsSubstituted forHumeat 63'minutes
- 30BrownhillSubstituted forByromat 90+1'minutes
- Scott Mathieson
- Shots on Target