QPR thwarted in bid to sign Brazilian striker Henrique

Henrique
Henrique helped Brazil win the Under-20 World Cup last year

QPR have failed in their bid to sign Brazilian striker Henrique after a work permit application was turned down.

Henrique had spoken to new QPR manager Mark Hughes about joining from Sao Paulo on a reported 18-month loan deal, with a permanent transfer option.

The 20-year-old, the player of the tournament at the Under-20 World Cup last summer, claimed the move was "a fantastic opportunity".

However, the BBC understands that the club will not appeal at the decision.

A QPR spokesman said: "He didn't get a work permit for various reasons."

It was determined at a hearing on Monday that Henrique did not satisfy the required criteria for a permit.

Reasons for the refusal would have included his limited experience in club football, and the absence of senior international caps.

Henrique had told the Sun: "I know a lot of clubs are interested in me but, when I spoke to Mark Hughes and QPR, they made me feel very excited about their plans.

"I want to go to a club with ambition and to play in London would be a fantastic opportunity.

"The manager is known everywhere. He played for great clubs like Manchester United and Barcelona.

"As a striker, I know I can learn so much from him. I've always wanted to play in Europe and, for me, England has the most exciting league in the world."

Hughes, whose first game in charge ended in defeat by Newcastle United on Sunday, is also chasing Blackburn's Chris Samba and Chelsea's Alex as he seeks to bolster his defensive options.