Tottenham's Adebayor comes out of Togo retirement
Emmanuel Adebayor has come out of international retirement after receiving safety assurances from the Togo Football Federation (FTF).
The 27-year-old met FTF officials on Wednesday to discuss his concerns.
The Tottenham forward says he is available for next week's 2014 World Cup qualifer against Guinea Bissau.
"I am happy to say that I am returning for Togo and will avail myself for next week's game against Guinea Bissau," Adebayor told BBC Sport.
He retired from the national team after a gun attack on the Togo team bus at the 2010 Nations Cup killed two members and seriously injured goalkeeper Kojovi Obilale.
The striker says he has been assured that the administration of the game in the country will improve to guanratee the safety of players in future matches.
"I decided to quit the international scene because I had concerns about about the safety of players after the deadly attack in Cabinda," he said.
"Things were not done properly. The FTF agreed with the key issues I raised and they have resolved that they will solve these problems for the benefit of all the players.
"I want to serve my country but the safety of all the players in the team must be paramount. I have been assured that this issue and others will be addressed."
Adebayor, on loan at Spurs from Manchester City, will not play in Friday's first leg of the World Cup qualifier in Bissau.
But he is available for selection for Tuesday's return game in Lome if the coach of the side wants to select him.
"Now that I am returing to the team it is up to the coach to decide whether he wants to play me or not," the striker told BBC Sport.
"I am returning to the team as a member of the squad and I don't expect any special treatment. I will be treated as any other player in the team."
The Hawks have struggled without the Tottenham striker and failed to qualify for the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations.
On the eve of last year's Nations Cup, the Togo team was attacked by gunmen as they made their way from a training camp in Congo to Cabinda in Angola.
This prompted the Togolese government to pull their country out of the event.
That intervention led to Togo being handed a four-year ban from competing in the competition - a sanction that was later reversed.