Worcestershire's Steve Rhodes unmoved by Surrey pair's return

Steve Rhodes

Worcestershire director of cricket Steve Rhodes says he has no animosity towards the two players who left for Surrey three years ago.

Accusations of a bust-up between Rhodes and Gareth Batty surfaced after the former England spinner left alongside Steven Davies.

"That is history now. They moved three years ago, they have moved on," Rhodes told BBC Hereford & Worcester.

"We have moved on as well and it's just another game of cricket."

Media playback is not supported on this device

Interview: Steve Rhodes

Batty was involved in an incident with a spectator when he returned to New Road with Surrey two years ago, but Rhodes says it is all about the players who will be playing in the game at the Oval which begins on Thursday.

"I like beating anyone, any victory is a huge bonus, but they are one of the wealthiest clubs," said Rhodes.

"They spend a lot of money on players, and a club like ours with the budget we have got, you have big extremes and that's one of the reason we want to beat them.

"Their squad is a lot stronger than two years ago they have no [Chris] Tremlett at the moment, but they will be leaving out a couple of decent bowlers.

"With the bat they played a very attacking game last year but they still have a couple who bat properly as it were."

Top Stories

Get Inspired Activity Finder

Run by the BBC and partners

Find ways to get active near you: