Vitali Klitschko: David Haye must wait to fight me

Media playback is not supported on this device

Haye will have to wait - Klitschko

WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko has ruled out any immediate meeting with Britain's David Haye.

Haye will announce his first fight since July on Thursday and has stated his intention to meet Klitschko.

But the Ukrainian, 41, claims Haye rejected a chance to fight him.

"If David wants to fight, he has to wait because I have to defend my title against an official contender," he told the BBC Ukrainian Service. "After that maybe."

Klitschko added: "If David Haye has [a] high [enough] position on the world rankings, we can fight each other but it will not be soon. The fight against David Haye is not everything for me."

The 32-year-old, who won WBA, WBC and WBO titles at cruiserweight, retired in October 2011 after a defeat by Wladimir Klitschko before reversing his decision in order to meet Chisora in July last year.

The British Boxing Board of Control refused to grant the fighters licences following Haye's brawl with Chisora following Chisora's defeat by Klitschko in February 2012 and their fight was sanctioned by the Luxembourg Boxing Federation.

Klitschko says he offered Haye the opportunity to fight in Moscow last year.

He added: "Last September I gave a proposal to David Haye to fight me in Moscow. David Haye had a contract and didn't want to do that and instead of fighting me he fought Chisora.

"How long [should] I have to wait for David Haye? I gave him a proposal and he didn't take it.

"David Haye had the chance to fight my brother. Many times he ran away but Vladimir beat him.

"David did not agree with the decision, tried to make excuses and just talked about his leg not giving him the chance to beat my brother."

Top Stories

Get Inspired Activity Finder

Run by the BBC and partners

Find ways to get active near you: