Commonwealth champion Enzo Maccarinelli eyes world title shot

Commonwealth light-heavyweight champion Enzo Maccarinelli still has ambitions to fight for a world title.

Maccarinelli, 32, was crowned Commonwealth champion after stopping holder Ovill McKenzie in the 11th round in Cardiff last Saturday.

"If I'm going to carry on and if I want to fight again, I'd like to fight for a world title," said Maccarinelli, who lost his WBO cruiserweight title to David Haye in 2008.

"I'm not contemplating retirement."

And he added: "I need something that's going to whet my appetite and get me up for it like the McKenzie fight.

Continue reading the main story

There's a lot of bad blood been built up between me and Nathan and I don't think it's actually between me and Nathan

Enzo Maccarinelli Commonwealth light-heavyweight champion

"I'm at that stage of my career where I need things that get me up for something.

"They offered me a couple of fights before McKenzie and basically I told them I didn't want it because I'm not going to get up for it.

"I think I've shown I'm capable … I can beat anyone."

Maccarinelli had been stopped by McKenzie in November 2012 but won the rematch in Cardiff to win the Commonwealth light-heavyweight title.

His victory came on the same evening fellow Welshman Nathan Cleverly lost his WBO light-heavyweight title at the Motorpoint Arena.

Cleverly lost to unbeaten Russian Sergey Kovalev and the 26-year-old says he is considering his future in boxing.

Maccarinelli refused to be drawn on a possible fight with Cleverly should the Cefn Fforest fighter decide to carry on

"I haven't thought about any fight to be honest," Maccarinelli said.

"When I wanted to fight him [Cleverly] it was basically said I wasn't good enough to fight him.

"There's a lot of bad blood been built up between me and Nathan and I don't think it's actually between me and Nathan."

"I never speak bad of Nathan and I don't think Nathan's spoken bad about me."