Sports Personality: Ashes hero Ian Botham wins in 1981
As BBC Sport celebrates 60 years of Sports Personality of the Year, we visit the archives to remember the achievements of all the previous winners.
In 1981, Ian Botham was named Sports Personality of the Year.
Botham played an instrumental role in England retaining the Ashes, scoring 399 runs and taking 34 wickets in what became known as "Botham's Ashes".
He was knighted in 2007 in recognition of his cricketing achievements and long-distance fundraising walks.
BBC Sports Personality of the Year will celebrate its 60th show when the 2013 event is broadcast live from Leeds on Sunday 15 December from 1940 GMT on BBC One. Further coverage on the BBC Sport website and Radio 5 live.
More from SPOTY
More Sport Video and Audio
- Watch video McNish's guide to perfect Suzuka lap
- Watch video Top 50 FA Cup goals: Bournemouth shock Man Utd
- Watch video Rodgers rues conceding 'soft' goal
- Watch video Wenger 'didn't realise' Welbeck was so fast
- Watch video Sofas & computer games - injury rehab
- Watch video Meet the only Thai player in La Liga