Lions 2013: Tourists set for 'biggest game of our lives'
AUSTRALIA V BRITISH AND IRISH LIONS, THIRD TEST
- Venue: ANZ Stadium, Sydney
- Date: Saturday, 6 July
- Kick-off: 11:00 BST (20:00 local)
Coverage: Live text commentary on BBC Sport website, updates on BBC Radio 5 live
The Lions are set for the "biggest game of their lives" in Saturday's final Test with Australia, says assistant coach Graham Rowntree.
"Seeing how we've trained, we're ready for this battle," said the 42-year-old.
Lions down under 2013
- Sat 1 June: Won 59-8 v Barbarians, Hong Kong
- Wed 5 June: Won 69-17 v Western Force, Perth
- Sat 8 June: Won 22-12 v Queensland Reds, Brisbane
- Tue 11 June: Won 64-0 v Combined New South Wales-Queensland Country, Newcastle
- Sat 15 June: Won 47-17 v New South Wales Waratahs, Sydney
- Tue 18 June: Lost 14-12 v ACT Brumbies, Canberra
- Sat 22 June: Won 23-21 v Australia, First Test, Brisbane
- Tue 25 June: Won 35-0 v Melbourne Rebels, Melbourne
- Sat 29 June: Lost 16-15 v Australia, Second Test, Melbourne
- Sat 6 July: Australia, Third Test, Sydney
"This is grand final rugby, the last throw of the dice with everything to play for," added the ex-Lions prop.
A win for the visitors in Sydney will end a three-tour losing streak, with their last series victory coming in 1997 against the Springboks.
Rowntree, who was on that successful tour of South Africa, added: "We saw the reaction from Australia after they beat us last weekend - their captain James Horwill was crying.
"There's loads more to come from us and the guys are desperate to win."
The Lions lost the last series in Australia, in 2001, when they were beaten 29-23 at the same ANZ Stadium to go down 2-1.
Wallabies scrum-half Will Genia warned the visitors that the best is yet to come from his side.
"I'm very confident that we haven't produced our best performance yet," the 25-year-old said.
"We can honestly say that we probably haven't played our best rugby throughout the series so far.
"We were able to do that in the last 20 to 30 minutes of the Test in Melbourne and we'll take a lot of confidence out of that moving forward."
CommentsJump to comments pagination
Comment number 633.Selgwent
6th July 2013 - 13:28
Comment number 632.Selgwent
6th July 2013 - 13:06
Comment number 631.FergyTime
6th July 2013 - 12:59
Comment number 630.Ldows
6th July 2013 - 12:58
Comment number 629.Neath in NZ
6th July 2013 - 12:54