Lions 2013: Quade Cooper in Reds squad to face Lions
Fly-half Quade Cooper has been named in the Queensland Reds squad to face the British & Irish Lions on Saturday.
British and Irish Lions fixtures
- Sat 1 June: Won 59-8 v Barbarians, Hong Kong
- Wed 5 June: Won 69-17 v Western Force, Perth
- Sat 8 June: Queensland Reds, Brisbane
- Tue 11 June: Combined New South Wales-Queensland Country, Newcastle
- Sat 15 June: New South Wales Waratahs, Sydney
- Tue 18 June: ACT Brumbies, Canberra
- Sat 22 June: Australia, First Test, Brisbane
- Tue 25 June: Melbourne Rebels, Melbourne
- Sat 29 June: Australia, Second Test, Melbourne
- Sat 6 July: Australia, Third Test, Sydney
The 25-year-old is not in Australia coach Robbie Deans' 25-man preliminary Test squad to face the Lions.
But the tour match at Suncorp Stadium is seen as Cooper's last chance to earn one of the six additional places in the Wallabies squad, to be confirmed on 11 June.
Cooper is one of nine Test players in the Reds' starting XV.
He has 38 caps for the Wallabies, scoring 65 points.
"Our approach was always going to be to field as strong a line-up as possible and I've got every confidence in the group we've chosen to go out and compete against a very talented Lions squad," Reds coach Ewen McKenzie said.
"History suggests that it's a mammoth challenge, but we'll go out there on Saturday with plenty of good intentions and with a commitment to giving a strong account of ourselves across the entire 80 minutes."
The Lions began their Australia tour on Wednesday with a 69-17 victory over the Western Force in Perth.
Ben Lucas; Rod Davies; Ben Tapuai; Anthony Faingaa; Luke Morahan; Quade Cooper; Nick Frisby; Jake Schatz; Beau Robinson; Eddie Quirk; Ed O'Donoghue; Adam Wallace-Harrison; Greg Holmes; James Hanson; Ben Daley
Replacements: Albert Anae; Sam Denny; Jono Owen; Radike Sam; Jarrad Butler ; Jono Lance; Mike Harris; Dom Shipperley