Aviva Premiership: London Welsh 33-22 Worcester

London Welsh (17) 33

  • Tries: Caprice, To'oala, Arscott, Scott
  • Cons: Ross 2
  • Pens: Ross 3

Worcester (3) 22

  • Tries: Drauniniu 2, Abbott
  • Cons: Goode 2
  • Pens: Goode

London Welsh ended their one-season stay in the Premiership in style with victory over Worcester.

The hosts struck twice inside the opening 10 minutes through Dan Caprice and Alfie To'oala, before Gordon Ross and Andy Goode exchanged penalties to leave the score 17-3 at the break.

Tom Arscott and Nick Scott scored tries to extend the Exiles' lead to 27.

Josh Drauniniu touched down twice and Jake Abbott once as Worcester fought back but it was too little, too late.

Caprice opened the scoring for already-relegated London Welsh when he raced towards the corner from 30 metres out, before To'oala crossed to extend the advantage soon after, with the Exiles' pack driving forward in the immediate aftermath of Neil Best's sin-binning for a ruck offence. Both times Ross added the extras.

Ross added a further penalty midway through the half before Goode eventually got the visitors on the scoreboard on the stroke of half-time, reducing the arrears to 14 points.

But the Exiles started the second period much like they began the first, as first Ascott strolled through a gaping hole in the Worcester defence to touch down and then Scott raced fully 75 metres down the left flank to seal the four-try bonus point in style.

With the game all but over at 30-3 after another Ross penalty, the Warriors did launch a spirited comeback of sorts.

Drauniniu intercepted a loose Exiles pass 10 metres out to restore some pride, and he repeated the feat two minutes later, this time running in under the posts from further out to get his second try.

Goode added the extras and Ross notched his third three-pointer for the hosts before Abbott went over in the final minute to add gloss to the scoreline for Worcester. The Warriors finish 11th and will need some serious repair work from recently appointed director of rugby Dean Ryan if they are to compete higher up the Premiership table next season.


London Welsh head coach Lyn Jones:

"I came to London Welsh because there was a vision and an ambition. Maybe the plan was not as accurate as it could have been, which perhaps is what has cost us this year.

"But as long as the London Welsh board show vision and ambition to come back up and take on board the lessons learnt from playing with the big boys of English rugby then, will I be there? I certainly hope I will be but only if there is a vision and ambition or we are all just wasting our time.

"I have enjoyed the Premiership, it has been a real challenge. I asked the players to enjoy it. I wasn't going to build up expectations by any stretch of the imagination. The players have become better people from this year. I just hope we can come back."


London Welsh: Arscott, Caprice, Stegmann, J. Lewis, Scott, Ross, R. Lewis, Bristow, Bateman, Joly, Corker, Kulemin, Browne, Beach, To'oala.

Replacements: Ajuwa for Caprice (39), Denbee for R. Lewis (73), Moss for Bristow (75), George for Bateman (80), Tideswell for Joly (61), Brown for Kulemin (60), Davies for Beach (73), Cabello for To'oala (40).

Worcester: Pennell, Drauniniu, Short, Grove, Howard, Goode, Arr, Mullan, Shervington, Murray, Percival, C. Jones, Best, Betty, De Carpenier.

Replacements: Abbott for Short (68), Hodgson for Arr (68), Schofield for Murray (68), Andress for Percival (68), Gray for Betty (66). Not Used: Lutui, O'Donnell, Stelling.

Referee: Matt Carley (RFU)

Attendance: 3,610